• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

Montreal's FAKKU | Brice has been a real thing, to my knowledge, for yeaaaaars. Well before this joke that's been going around. He plays Tager in BB and has one of the flashiest Potemkins in Canada.

I believe he met them at an anime con, and not over Twitter. I'll ask some people.

Ah okay. I remember literally seeing it happen on twitter a couple times where Fakku is just like "sure, we'll send you some stuff" for the sake of it. Dunno if they seriously put out for anybody is all. I know and have met Brice at NEC I believe, he cool.

Numb

Montreal's FAKKU | Brice has been a real thing, to my knowledge, for yeaaaaars. Well before this joke that's been going around. He plays Tager in BB and has one of the flashiest Potemkins in Canada.

I believe he met them at an anime con, and not over Twitter. I'll ask some people.

Yh it was a dude using a white Tager.(got bodied tho)
So it's for real? That's crazy.

4r5

Both kinds of game use 2D hitboxes and hurtboxes- they don't react and collide any differently. You may specifically have complaints about SF4, but it's not some magical thing inherent to a 2.5D fighting game.

Tekken, Soul Calibur, and SF4 are harder games to 'read', then 2D games and some other 3D games. It's some combination of 3D interpolation and the camera placement, I think. A particular annoying thing about SF4's camera is how it's slow to follow quick movement across the stage. Sometimes as the camera is catching up, you get an angled view of the fight and that can screw up your perception of the spacing.

And let's not get in to the crazy costumes in SF4, or Tekken and Soul Calibur.

But I've never really had this problem with Maximum Impact or VF.

Speaking of background characters, apparently Rufus is in the NYC stage as well. He's toward the left corner selling hot dogs at a hot dog cart.

Can't say I'll miss him.

I just can't understand playing a game and "not liking" or "not having fun". Just saying "competitive" is supposed to change everything somehow but that doesn't help because the most popular casual games are all competitive.

Edit: Then again I also know I'll never be good at a game I don't like. It's just impossible to make my self spend enough time on something that I have no interest in.

jbug617

Banned
x58ka

Anne

I just can't understand playing a game and "not liking" or "not having fun". Just saying "competitive" is supposed to change everything somehow but that doesn't help because the most popular casual games are all competitive.

Edit: Then again I also know I'll never be good at a game I don't like. It's just impossible to make my self spend enough time on something that I have no interest in.

I mean, you have to like something period, but competition brings more to it for some people. Like I'm not in love with Smash 4 the same way I am with stuff like BB/P4/UNI, but what I am in love with is the challenge and the fact that I can always and consistently be finding new things to test myself against. I know I can go to a 128 man local, have a riot, and find good fights there. I know if I wanna push myself to get better, there's something waiting for me. That plus the game being fun makes it interesting.

I loaded up Persona the other night and didn't lose all night. Netplaying is completely brainless and boring. There's only a couple tournaments a year with good players, and I know all those good players. There's something I can improve at, yeah, but the ceiling is so tight and I'm friends with everybody so it's like whatevs. If I wanna fight BKen or Bace or whoever I just go find them, we play, that's it. Even if I were to close that gap, it'd just be me being more dependent on having them to get enjoyment out of it. At this point it's work really hard to close that gap and then spend a ton of money to go to tournaments that don't offer me much. It's not interesting.

With BB it's the same boat, and I'm not even good at that game. I go online, fight the same pool of 4 characters endlessly, it sucks cause the netcode is horrible, and here I am. Spend a lot of time and money to go to a tournament and not know MUs and have some 32 man bracket where only like 4 people are serious? That's not interesting and doesn't make the absurdly uphill climb worth it.

If there isn't something to work at I can't be bothered, especially with the scene the way it is now lol. There's a big difference between the competitive over time mindset.

One of the issues with SF4 was that you had to be exclusively devoted to it. It teaches the basics, like most other fighting games, but what you learned in SF4 carries over only to SF4.
Sprites and polygons move, react and collide differently.
I always found it a chore jumping from sprite based fighters like 3S and KOF to SF4.
While if I jump from one sprite fighter to another, even the so called anime fighters, adaptation is much easier.

That has NOTHING to do with sprite and polygon collision, and has everything to do with the collision system SF4 uses - the game was originally built with hurtboxes that conformed to the character's bones. That's how it still is - every hurtbox (and probably hitbox too) in the game is attached to some point of the character's anatomy - even the manually set ones are actually displaced chest or head boxes and whatnot, which is why it's impossible to eg. make static hurtboxes for Blanka's roll, and why you see the "shattering" phenomenon in a move's recovery frames in SF4 - they don't have manually set hurtboxes so the hurtboxes return to the autoassigned skeleton-conforming ones that were used very early in development.

The rest of why the game feels like it does is just game design decisions - pushback, walk speeds, dash speeds and distances, native input lag (f.ex. 360 SF4 has 5, Xrd has 5. #Reload on PC a measly two), the extra slowness that comes from focus gumming up the neutral game, the input buffer and shortcuts giving their own flair for the game feel, and so on.

The game's 3d nature has nothing to do with it, the engine itself does, and it's not that well built.

I find KOF a much better game to teach you to branch out in other games than SF4 to be fair.

Agreed. It has a bit of everything, and is really heavy on fundamentals and reads. You kind of need an opponent who isn't stone cold retarded for that though, because although the game's neutral is rich it can also just break down to people hopping around like rabbits with ADHD.

SFv walk speed is slow, but once you are in. You are doing damage.

Aand goodbye SFV. That or I guess I need to main Cammy.

jbug617

Banned
Ono and Phil Spencer are at Brazil Game Show. My guess that guy in the middle is probably someone from Sony Latin America.

Anbec7

So I want to buy a fighting pad because I don't have that much cash available for fighting game, what is the general opinion of GAF on the Hori fighting pad commander 4?

notworksafe

It's a very solid pad and the buttons and dpad feel good. Only issue I've noticed that the dpad has a miniscule bit of wiggle in it, probably cause it's adjustable.

This is based on about 20mins of use before I ripped it open and used the PCB for a dual mod.

K.Sabot

My internet has been so shit lately I've finally decided to pull the trigger and become a training mode god with Venom.

Anbec7

It's a very solid pad and the buttons and dpad feel good. Only issue I've noticed that the dpad has a miniscule bit of wiggle in it, probably cause it's adjustable.

This is based on about 20mins of use before I ripped it open and used the PCB for a dual mod.

It's really good, I have it

buy with confidence

It's a pretty good pad.

That helps a lot everyone, thanks!

also I really laughed on the "before I ripped it open" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom