• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about the story of UNIEL but it seems short sighted to attack the female character designs specifically when Hyde, Chaos and Byakuya are students with weapons as well.

Merkava is really cute.

SHAKE THE BABY

tumblr_inline_n6hz89uQzG1r5g1c1.gif

I also like the arm flail thing he does. I always imagine him throwing a tantrum while racking up hits.

shaowebb

I see. Could you give an example of a character that does it all right, in your opinion?

Does it all right is subjective to preference on some levels but if I was to choose someone whose physique, posture and general way of moving conveys what they'll be about without resorting to grapplers (which is easy mode lol) I guess a good example would be Glacius on the current X1 version of KI.

• Tall with a very upright posture and long limbs. This implies his limbs and attacks would be good for keeping people out.
  • Smaller physique than the rest of the cast...muscular but lanky. This implies he's not a powerhouse per move and that he'll have to chip and poke away at people implying a run and gun mentality.
  • Very alien looking. This implies his attacks would likely not be standard punch kick martial artsy in theme but something else...given its alien looking often this refers to projectiles, lasers, or abnormal powers.
  • Since Glacius is ice themed in textures and in all the spiky ice shapes on him and even in name it conveys that his alien moves will involve a lot of ice oriented attacks. Ice is spiky...so is Glacius honestly. This conveys to the player they will see icicle attacks in some manner. Possibly at long range.
  • When Glacius moves he is very upright as I mentioned before...not hunched. When thin characters hunch over it is to make themselves look smaller to make themselves less of a target. This usually conveys speed and agility to folks. Also on the flipside if large brutes do this it implies pouncing and ground and pound like a gorilla or linebacker. Since Glacius is thin, but upright and walking chest thrust out without anysort of defensive posture it conveys a sense of power and confidence implying at a glance someone with tricks that I've already mentioned seem otherworldly, ice themed, possibly icicle based, and ranged in some manner due to his lankiness and somewhat due to the analgous aliens=pew pew attacks thing.
  • He definitely does not look generic and passes a silhouette test.

He's a good example of someone who was designed properly both for their theme and for their fighting style as a collective piece. There are lots of characters that do this. I didn't want to go easy mode though and choose a grappler...you can lurch and be buff as shit to convey that.

Thought you'd enjoy the breakdown of Glacius more. Hope this clears up where I'm coming from. Body language, physique, textures, shapes on the character, facial expression...these all convey a lot and create very memorable characters. Its just something you need to work with or you get very samey designs...which is what I'm really lamenting in Arcana Heart right now since I love the metagame but loathe the art lol. At a glance I know where to look in the cast in KI for certain sort of characters in general. At a glance in Arcana Heart I can't tell who does what which is why I'm having to dig through the roster so much and test everyone. Nothing is implied in generic schoolgirl outfit stuff.

El Sloth

Banned
Orie's high heels look so cool for her design. Imagining someone wearing them in real life though, that looks so painful lol
Word, she's practically walking on the very tip of her toes lol
I don't know anything about the story of UNIEL but it seems short sighted to attack the female character designs specifically when Hyde, Chaos and Byakuya are students with weapons as well.
Could have at least gotten imaginative with the uniforms and give them something interesting like Hyde's outfit. Byakuya and Nanase's are really boring. Chaos' is boring x2

I'm surprised you're so mad at UNIEL characters Shao. It may not seem like a big thing but the designs from Melty Blood to Under Night In-Birth are a big step forward for frenchbread as they made different types of characters this time. The thing is, they can't go that far from their own style (which is heavily inspired by the dojin scene) but they are doing it waaaaay better than most of the designers from the anime games you see most of the time.

What differentiates French Bread from others (including blazblue) is their capability to balance their design between the dojin empty/poor amateur style (think Melty Blood or DBFC) and the "more is better" design trope (Blazblue, Xrd) by using less colors, taking readability as an important aspect of the game and working a lot poses and small details. I made a post a while ago about how Hyde was really well designed besides being just an "anime hero" and how it compared to BB and GG.

Oh and Hyde design evolution so you can see better what I'm talking about:

Infinite

I actually like Chaos's design. Some random nigga with a book and Harry Potter frames and a demon comes out of it seems cool to me. I guess I like that anime character archetype though lol

El Sloth

Banned
Three Elenas, including Count, in this top 16 so far.

smh
I actually like Chaos's design. Some random nigga with a book and Harry Potter frames and a demon comes out of it seems cool to me. I guess I like that anime character archetype though lol
I'll concede that he has one of the best themes at least!

Dat elevator music jam

El Sloth

Banned
What differentiates French Bread from others (including blazblue) is their capability to balance their design between the dojin empty/poor amateur style (think Melty Blood or DBFC) and the "more is better" design trope (Blazblue, Xrd) by using less colors, taking readability as an important aspect of the game and working a lot poses and small details. I made a post a while ago about how Hyde was really well designed besides being just an "anime hero" and how it compared to BB and GG.

Oh and Hyde design evolution so you can see better what I'm talking about:
Those posts of yours were really interesting, especially the one about Potemkin. I know you said you wouldn't want to do a series for a gaming site because you think your level of english is too low, but I think a good editor would help with that a lot. I think you should still try reaching out to some sites anyways and see if they'd be interested, like US Gamer or even Kotaku.

Character design discussions always remind me of roster threads.

I have yet to find a single video of a Necalli player that looks like he/she knows what he/she's doing.

I wonder if people just aren't taking an interest in him versus the other characters.

Tripon

Character design discussions always remind me of roster threads.

I have yet to find a single video of a Necalli player that looks like he/she knows what he/she's doing.

I wonder if people just aren't taking an interest in him versus the other characters.
Well, they changed him from command to charge midway. People just have to learn how to play him.

that's pretty insulting.

maybe we don't all agree but there's like....actual thought...put into shaowebb and Thomasorus' posts

Not explicitly stated but you seem to be implying that there is no "actual thought" made in roster thread posts. I don't think that would hold up to scrutiny. That isn't even what I was referring to with my initial comment but if you didn't understand it (well not really an "if" I guess if this post is an indication) then don't worry about it.

Well, they changed him from command to charge midway. People just have to learn how to play him.

Really? I guess that would turn some people off from trying him. Never really played any charge characters for more than a half hour before but I'm willing to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom