• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitsugi

Really? I guess that would turn some people off from trying him. Never really played any charge characters for more than a half hour before but I'm willing to try.

Yup. It was a crazy change and a lot of players' interest in him definitely went south with that. Hopefully more people pick him up in this beta.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
That happens when you play easy mode DJ for so long and never had to block a cross up because you up kicked everything to get out of trouble.

MY4Ojnt.gif

Ya gotta take this L Count.

Catching up:
OMG YES DIZZY.

4r5, thank you so much for the Dizzy and Testament videos. I watched at least 5 hours of gameplay for each character. I definitely think Testament is more my style, but Dizzy is a cool, too. I like how Testament is less set play based, and more about the neutral. But I do love the fact that Dizzy gets 2 aerial movements per jump. If you have more videos, please share them. I have been YouTube searching "Dizzy Mikado" every day and watching something. Ditto for Testament.

ShinMaruku, thank you for the Nyotengu video! I would love to understand more about her neutral game, and how you are supposed to use her unique abilities during footsies.

Gief looks alright. Not sure I like the super cartoony cyclone V-Trigger, but his V-Skill is exactly what I thought he would need. Curious to see how they elaborate on Dhalsim. ComboFiend bringing in the grapplers...not a lot of zoning options so far. If Sim looks boring, and Bison's Psycho Inferno still sucks, I won't have a character I want to play at launch. :/ Maybe Akuma, when they inevitably reveal him for DLC? I don't even know what he looks like without set play anymore.

The new Smash patch is AMAZING. Everyone should give the game another try. I've been saying it needed more shieldstun since launch, and I don't regret that judgment.

Essay

Well, Dogura beat me twice in +R and I beat myself twice in Xrd for Losers Semis finishes in my main games... but I'm somehow in Vampire Savior Top 4 tomorrow at 1PM. o_O

petghost

Banned
Well, Dogura beat me twice in +R and I beat myself twice in Xrd for Losers Semis finishes in my main games... but I'm somehow in Vampire Savior Top 4 tomorrow at 1PM. o_O

That's awesome I'll watch it.

Who you play? Im gonna guess that an ino guy would play qbee or zabel.

ShinMaruku

Catching up:
OMG YES DIZZY.

ShinMaruku, thank you for the Nyotengu video! I would love to understand more about her neutral game, and how you are supposed to use her unique abilities during footsies.

You are very welcome. The video maker is very happy that people seen his vid and would like some feed back. I will pass that to him. She is very interesting during neutral and her movement is very unique.

Dahbomb

FChamp is just being FChamp (aka being rude as heck and not being particularly articulate about his real point) but KBR coming out to SCR on Thursday all the way from Japan and not even competing was a bad look for him.

hitsugi

FChamp is just being FChamp (aka being rude as heck and not being particularly articulate about his real point) but KBR coming out to SCR on Thursday all the way from Japan and not even competing was a bad look for him.

KBR is on a very unique level of budgeting.

mbpm1

He came out to SCR...and then went to a fucking weekly instead.

KBR come on

ShinMaruku

Here is the Momiji environmental damage guide by King Jaimy on FSD:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2DKjT4kNds

Like all 3d fighters but taken to an art environmental damage is a huge asset to damage and spacing in DOA. It can be in subtle ways like for example a combo that just does 60 damage can do 80 damage on a wall with a dangerzone. Or you have a exploding floor that added an extra bound for you to do another juggle into a wall or ground slam netting you extra damage.

Thought you'd enjoy the breakdown of Glacius more. Hope this clears up where I'm coming from. Body language, physique, textures, shapes on the character, facial expression...these all convey a lot and create very memorable characters. Its just something you need to work with or you get very samey designs...which is what I'm really lamenting in Arcana Heart right now since I love the metagame but loathe the art lol. At a glance I know where to look in the cast in KI for certain sort of characters in general. At a glance in Arcana Heart I can't tell who does what which is why I'm having to dig through the roster so much and test everyone. Nothing is implied in generic schoolgirl outfit stuff.

Hmn, i see. Thanks for the write up! KI does have very strong character designs.

I don't agree on the AH front, btw. Yes, there's probably a few too many schoolgirl outfits but then there's also super recognizable stuff like Nazuna, Catherine, Eko+prince or even Lilica.

On the other hand Ragna's animations and moveset have much more personality, albeit a cliché one.

Edit: Which is odd because the rest of the cast of UNIEL seems to have a lot more personality in their animations than Hyde.

Right after CT BlazBlue (and even in CT with some characters) started to have waaaay better characters sprites and animations conveying way more personality. Hazama and Tsubaki were a huge step forward but it's after CP they really nailed it as sprites became more readable for new characters. And in the next one, characters are looking a bit more like UNIEL chars for some reasons.

Those posts of yours were really interesting, especially the one about Potemkin. I know you said you wouldn't want to do a series for a gaming site because you think your level of english is too low, but I think a good editor would help with that a lot. I think you should still try reaching out to some sites anyways and see if they'd be interested, like US Gamer or even Kotaku.

Unfortunately I'm lacking time to seek freelancing work right now. I might do it on my own blog in both english and french. If it happens I'll post it here. What games are you interested to read about?

What excuse did KBR give for not doing SCR?

Oh yeah, and @Blackule: the Faust super allows your opponent to switch the cups around while you try to guess. You were probably being tricked to get the reaper each time.

Welcome Back, Karst!

Oh welcome back, ban was shorter than expected.
Thank you!

Is tag more common than singles in the community?

Welcome back from the abyss, Karst.
Thank you!

You are very welcome. The video maker is very happy that people seen his vid and would like some feed back. I will pass that to him. She is very interesting during neutral and her movement is very unique.
I want to hear all about that movement! Do you think she is the most mobile character in the game?

Millia lost her air dash cancel in Xrd and I-No had two air dashes at one point before. Wonder if Dizzy will get to keep that in Xrd.
What air dash cancel did Millia have?

The only way they could fairly get rid of Dizzy's double air dash is if they give her projectiles that are usable during an intense neutral. I felt like the double air dashes were there for not just mixups, but to gamble with gaining space in the neutral to start the projectile pressure game.

Right after CT BlazBlue (and even in CT with some characters) started to have waaaay better characters sprites and animations conveying way more personality. Hazama and Tsubaki were a huge step forward but it's after CP they really nailed it as sprites became more readable for new characters. And in the next one, characters are looking a bit more like UNIEL chars for some reasons.

Unfortunately I'm lacking time to seek freelancing work right now. I might do it on my own blog in both english and french. If it happens I'll post it here. What games are you interested to read about?
I didn't even know English was your second language. You write beautifully. Don't be shy.

shaowebb

Hmn, i see. Thanks for the write up! KI does have very strong character designs.

I don't agree on the AH front, btw. Yes, there's probably a few too many schoolgirl outfits but then there's also super recognizable stuff like Nazuna, Catherine, Eko+prince or even Lilica.

Oh I agree on those characters. Plenty is conveyed. Kira is another who conveys a lot as well along with the new gal with the gauntlets and a few more. Just a lot of the cast doesn't is all. Glad you liked the write up on design theory.

ShinMaruku

Is tag more common than singles in the community?

I want to hear all about that movement! Do you think she is the most mobile character in the game?
Tag is more in my perview and it's active but most people are in singles because people don't like the long juggles and some death combos some characters have : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6adhcUNxXw for example. That combo normally should not work on that weight class but due to tags different gravity and smart tag canceling and the speed of that team I have a combo that works on EVERY character in the game for the highest damage where weigh class would lower combo damage.

Nyo Tengu has flight for some of her movement which allows her to have different follow ups, she has better hops than other characters to make up for slightly slower movement than the kunoichi princesses. Although they too have faster movement with their evasive movements and dashes and some of their teleports but she has the best range of movement but you have to know when to do it because she can be vulnerable. Momiji is the only other character with air movement because that girl is a fucking jet plane. But Lady Kstoute has flight cancel off certain moves which allows her to scoop up people, air throw teleports if you have a hard read and throw people, on certain knock downs she has a garenteed ground throws which is devastating. You just need good awareness and good execution and her movement is excellent.

shaowebb

It's hard to watch that, I can tell he is really trying hard to form complete coherent thoughts but he struggles. It's like that kid in school growing up where when it was his turn to read from the book you all let out a huge SIGH because you knew it would take the next hour to finish a few sentences.

Like when he said "I lost but I won."
We could tell how he was wanting to put it, but he was just rushing through thoughts faster than he could put words to em. I get what he's saying. Its like winning a round online after losing a bunch and then going "I got nothing left to prove" and leaving then refusing all further matches.

Tag is more in my perview and it's active but most people are in singles because people don't like the long juggles and some death combos some characters have : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6adhcUNxXw for example. That combo normally should not work on that weight class but due to tags different gravity and smart tag canceling and the speed of that team I have a combo that works on EVERY character in the game for the highest damage where weigh class would lower combo damage.

Nyo Tengu has flight for some of her movement which allows her to have different follow ups, she has better hops than other characters to make up for slightly slower movement than the kunoichi princesses. Although they too have faster movement with their evasive movements and dashes and some of their teleports but she has the best range of movement but you have to know when to do it because she can be vulnerable. Momiji is the only other character with air movement because that girl is a fucking jet plane. But Lady Kstoute has flight cancel off certain moves which allows her to scoop up people, air throw teleports if you have a hard read and throw people, on certain knock downs she has a garenteed ground throws which is devastating. You just need good awareness and good execution and her movement is excellent.
I would love to see mobility overviews for the cast members.

It's the second language to most of us Europeans :p
Well, third for me technically I guess, but my French is worse than DJ.

Welcome back ^__^
Thanks! I envy you. I wish I spoke Spanish.

shaowebb

Thanks! I envy you. I wish I spoke Spanish.

Reminds me of an old quote...

"If you speak three languages you're trilingual
If you speak two languages you're bilingual
If you only speak one language then you're an American."

EDIT:

Whoa...just looked through Rotanibor's stream archive and apparently they just played some Wii fighting game called "Twinkle Queen" that was japan only.

I think its using the Divekick announcer lol!

NEO0MJ

Pretty sure it's more than just America where the general public is monolingual.

Sayad

What air dash cancel did Millia have?

The only way they could fairly get rid of Dizzy's double air dash is if they give her projectiles that are usable during an intense neutral. I felt like the double air dashes were there for not just mixups, but to gamble with gaining space in the neutral to start the projectile pressure game.
Millia used to be able to cancel some air attacks into an air dash, like some MvC3 characters during flight. Since she had two air dashes, she got two cancels during her air combos and way better mix-ups during air to ground offense. In Xrd she can only jump cancel, which gives her one cancel during air combos and killed a lot of her oki-less mixups during neutral.

Millia, like a lot of characters, got weaker neutral in exchange for better oki coming into Xrd. Dizzy could lose mobility without direct tools to compensate for it during neutral, instead, she will get better stuff once she find a chance to start her projectiles thing. Usable projectile during intense neutral will probably be at the cost of a YRC.

Tripon

I feel like I should start watching Melee it on Me now.
Melee it on Me is way different. 4-6 TOs discussing the big Smash events/drama and what people can do to plan to either fix it next time or what they would do if they were in the same situation.

It can be humorous, but I would t watch unless you are melee fan.

EDIT:

Whoa...just looked through Rotanibor's stream archive and apparently they just played some Wii fighting game called "Twinkle Queen" that was japan only.

I think its using the Divekick announcer lol!
Haha, nice one!

Millia used to be able to cancel some air attacks into an air dash, like some MvC3 characters during flight. Since she had two air dashes, she got two cancels during her air combos and way better mix-ups during air to ground offense. In Xrd she can only jump cancel, which gives her one cancel during air combos and killed a lot of her oki-less mixups during neutral.

Millia, like a lot of characters, got weaker neutral in exchange for better oki coming into Xrd. Dizzy could lose mobility without direct tools to compensate for it during neutral, instead, she will get better stuff once she find a chance to start her projectiles thing. Usable projectile during intense neutral will probably be at the cost of a YRC.
I wish the design went in the other direction: stronger neutral, weaker oki. It's probably my favorite thing about Smash - I am playing 99% of the time.

I expect that characters will get these tools back throughout the various versions. They had to go back to the game's roots to reboot.

Melee it on Me is way different. 4-6 TOs discussing the big Smash events/drama and what people can do to plan to either fix it next time or what they would do if they were in the same situation.

It can be humorous, but I would t watch unless you are melee fan.

I've only seen one episode and that was with Mike Ross as the guest. Or at least I think it was that show. It was really hilarious.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's not a fighting game but I'm mostly enjoying Bayonetta 2. Loki sucks as do the flying sequences and the load times to get to the inventory screen are atrocious but combat is still fun. Why do people like this more than the first Bayonetta?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom