• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

It's combination of 2D game and Naruto 3D field stuff.

It's pretty fun but because of the nature of the audience it's trying to appeal to, the mechanics aren't built to be meaty So it's hard to really dig in and study the game, from my impressions of playing it in Japan.

It also doesn't have the complexity of a game using the 3D field and the 2D fight mechanics don't seem to have any quirks to it.

It's really fun to play is all.

Yeah, it might be doing great elsewhere. I just happened to see that on twitter today.

Pokken looks pretty fun to me. I do think the small roster is a missed chance..

How so? You mean that they should have added more characters before release? Also, I'm kinda surprised we never found anything out about it through data-mining like Tekken 7.

Yeah. Pokemon as a franchise has the huge set of beasties as one of the main attractions. Obviously they can't include even 1/10th of them in the starting roster, but the current set is sooo small.

If you're making the gameplay kinda simple anyway, perhaps add a bunch of variant characters? Why not have Raichu and Pichu as Pikachu variants, the same way you have two Law's or three capo's in TTT2? (I realize there's a wrestling Pikachu, but still.) It still wouldn't be huge this way but you could have more than 10 characters at least.

NEO0MJ

Luchachu and Regular-ass Chu are completely different in moveset, though.

But I see your point. Though it seems Namco is avoiding that for now with Tekken 7 so they might do the same here and fill out the roster first before offering variations.

Yeah. Pokemon as a franchise has the huge set of beasties as one of the main attractions. Obviously they can't include even 1/10th of them in the starting roster, but the current set is sooo small.

If you're making the gameplay kinda simple anyway, perhaps add a bunch of variant characters? Why not have Raichu and Pichu as Pikachu variants, the same way you have two Law's or three capo's in TTT2? (I realize there's a wrestling Pikachu, but still.) It still wouldn't be huge this way but you could have more than 10 characters at least.
I'm hardly representative of their target audience but I have to say they've done a fine job of picking a roster so far that doesn't interest me :/

"oh, some people like the cuter pokemon? Let's add a second pikachu" ¬.¬

It's impossible to please everyone but as you say, you're likely to please more at least if you include more :p

edit: also, this game was a great chance to finally let us play some of less commonly appearing pokemon instead of clogging up the roster with the usual suspects. I appreciate that it's fairly common sense to include a few favourites to help push the game but don't include pikachu twice.

HiResDes

So you're just going to leave us hanging like that?

I have A.D.D.

Anyway there's the obvious and common complaint about the game's overtly sexualization of its female characters that I believe has crossed a line into being a bit more deplorable than in the past, although you could easily make an argument that the exaggerated sexuality has been present in every iteration in this particular game entire movesets seem to have been made and animated with the intent to show off certain ample assets of the female cast. Very few of the new female characters exhibit the same sort of antiquated class of say Rose or the strong, aggressive look of say Makoto. With that being said this is more of a cosmetic nitpick.

Moving on to the gameplay I've noticed that a lot of the combo starters are extremely similar in a sort of cross Tekken way that I do not like at all. Footsies are more important that I initially believed, which is a good thing in my eyes, but the chess match seems to also be too simple without the ability to parry or focus dash. You have your V-reversal, but largely momentum is a bit harder to overcome in this particular game for better or worse.

Furthermore, I just think the game is a bit too focused on enabling the rushdown. There aren't many true zoners in the game who can keep you out and dominate you with normals. Oh and the grapplers while having a larger variety of specials this time around don't seem to have any range on their throws so it becomes harder to punish a whiff with a SPD and the like. Zangief and Mika in particular have pretty lackluster normals and their throw ranges just seem off to me.

Overall I'd just say exchanges just seem less juicy and more predictable to me. I'm not as excited over the new game mechanics as I have been with previous entries. I know it's early and we haven't even really begun to tap the depth of gameplay SFV can offer, but when I think back to when SF IV came out and the level of excitement I had when I first discovered how to do focus dash cancels or when I got into SF III super late and discovered how to do parries into combo punishes nothing in the new game compares.

WarRock

It's combination of 2D game and Naruto 3D field stuff.

It's pretty fun but because of the nature of the audience it's trying to appeal to, the mechanics aren't built to be meaty So it's hard to really dig in and study the game, from my impressions of playing it in Japan.

It also doesn't have the complexity of a game using the 3D field and the 2D fight mechanics don't seem to have any quirks to it.

It's really fun to play is all.
It seems like those old Mega Drive DBZ games to me. They were fun.

Speaking of Pokemon, it's kind of sad when my first thought on seeing some random abstract critter is mostly "yeah, that looks like a new Pokemon". At least it's not a sentient garbage bag, I guess.

Thanks.
Those games are whack, I hated those budokai games. Are arena fighters popular?

I think the Gundam arena fighters are super popular. Maybe not here in the states, but they've got a huge following in Japan, last I checked.

In general, I think every arena fighter has it's fans. The most popular ones are probably Dissidia and Gundam.

I'm more into the the simple arena fighters like Power Stone and the upcoming Combat Core, but my eyes are on the new Dissidia. The game just needs to give me Garland, and I'll be prepared to study it's mechanics.

Anyone play the Naruto ones seriously? Besides youtubers

I only tried out "Ultimate Ninja Storm 2" because I wanted to smash people with Kisame. I hesitate to call the game broken, but I didn't find it fun. Combo breakers(substitute jutsu) in that game were way too strong, with no way to bait and punish the person doing the combo breaker. Most times when you were combo broken, you were still stuck in an attack animation and would get punished. Combo breakers in that game were tied to your chakra meter, which you used to do specials and supers, only you almost never found yourself in a situation where you DIDN'T have enough chakra to do a combo breaker, so landing combos was almost impossible. Some assists were also too good, namely Hidan and Kakuzu. They were so good, that it was detrimental for you as a player to not use them. You could call in assists when you were being hit, which is awesome if you were using Hidan; because his assist was a completely invincible barrage of attacks that would lock you down for probably five-six seconds. So, did you find yourself in a situation where you had no chakra for a combo breaker? Call in Hidan when you're being hit. Kakuzu's assist is a homing fireball that has the best homing out of any projectile in the game.

I think future Ultimate Ninja games changed the way that combo breakers worked, but I didn't care enough to really see if it changed for the better.

The only Naruto fighting game I remember having a scene were the old "Clash of Ninja" games for the Gamecube. Those games were also bullshit, but much less so than the Ultimate Ninja games.

The Storm games are pure resource management.

I only tried out "Ultimate Ninja Storm 2" because I wanted to smash people with Kisame. I hesitate to call the game broken, but I didn't find it fun. Combo breakers(substitute jutsu) in that game were way too strong, with no way to bait and punish the person doing the combo breaker. Most times when you were combo broken, you were still stuck in an attack animation and would get punished. Combo breakers in that game were tied to your chakra meter, which you used to do specials and supers, only you almost never found yourself in a situation where you DIDN'T have enough chakra to do a combo breaker, so landing combos was almost impossible. Some assists were also too good, namely Hidan and Kakuzu. They were so good, that it was detrimental for you as a player to not use them. You could call in assists when you were being hit, which is awesome if you were using Hidan; because his assist was a completely invincible barrage of attacks that would lock you down for probably five-six seconds. So, did you find yourself in a situation where you had no chakra for a combo breaker? Call in Hidan when you're being hit. Kakuzu's assist is a homing fireball that has the best homing out of any projectile in the game.

I think future Ultimate Ninja games changed the way that combo breakers worked, but I didn't care enough to really see if it changed for the better.

The only Naruto fighting game I remember having a scene were the old "Clash of Ninja" games for the Gamecube. Those games were also bullshit, but much less so than the Ultimate Ninja games.

You shouldn't because it was. Storm 2 was ass. No Sub bar (among other things) was really stupid. I remember that the meta revolved around mashing block in the neutral since substituting was done by blocking right when you got hit. People online used turbo controllers all the time and the garbage netcode didn't help.

The newer games are better but still have tons of issues. They're pretty fun if you like Naruto or just want a really simple fighting game to play and don't take it seriously at all. There's so many fucking stupid and cheap strats in those games. It's hilarious. Generations might be the funniest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcDg-ZUB6og

I've messed with UNS3 some, but i didn't find it fun either. Similar reasons as above^

Scoring real damage was too hard against any competent opponent so it boiled down to sloooooowly chipping away with projectiles and items which do next to no damage. Though the team supers seemed pretty damn stupid with how invincible, fast, far-reaching and damaging they were compared to normal moves.

It's been a while but I remember team supers being glitched in Storm 3. Some times you just couldn't block it. Or I think it had something to do with trying to jump block it, idk. I think they fixed it in Revolution but idk, I haven't played it.

I've messed with UNS3 some, but i didn't find it fun either. Similar reasons as above^

Scoring real damage was too hard against any competent opponent so it boiled down to sloooooowly chipping away with projectiles and items which do next to no damage. Though the team supers seemed pretty damn stupid with how invincible, fast, far-reaching and damaging they were compared to normal moves.

『Inaba Resident』;182368892 said:
It's been a while but I remember team supers being glitched in Storm 3. Some times you just couldn't block it. Or I think it had something to do with trying to jump block it, idk. I think they fixed it in Revolution but idk, I haven't played it.

Something was definitely going on with that bullshit. <.<;

Numb

I played most of them casually and you don't get almost infinite substitutes like before. You got like 4 now. What i was asking was if it could be called a true 3d arena brawler the likes of gundam and FF and was hesitating to do so. It does simply fall under 3d arena brawler wether or not it's balanced or competitive right..

I played most of them casually and you don't get almost infinite substitutes like before. You got like 4 now. What i was asking was if it could be called a true 3d arena brawler the likes of gundam and FF and was hesitating to do so. It does simply fall under 3d arena brawler wether or not it's balanced or competitive right..

I say it can qualify as a "true" 3D arena brawler. I think Gundam, Dissidia and the latest DBZ fighters focus more on aerial combat, and flying around the arena as you fight. Though, the newest Dissidia may have less of a focus on that.

Games like Naruto: UNS, Power Stone and Pokken focus more on a grounded approach, I think.

Numb

We got down in naruto gakito nija taisen 3 in college for days.

Kisame all day.
Ranged guys like deidara cause too much salt especially in the latest ones. Online is a minefield.

I say it can qualify as a 3D arena brawler. I think Gundam, Dissidia and the latest DBZ fighters focus more on aerial combat, and flying around the arena as you fight. Though, the newest Dissidia may have less of a focus on that.

Games like Naruto: UNS, Power Stone and Pokken focus more on a grounded approach, I think.
Indeed.The grounded part and aerial can be both these categories.
Put so little effort into those new naruto games i even forgot to attempt to classify them and just played lol.
Waiting for that Pokken and Hawlucha. Any day now..

MrDaravon

The FC4 just works on Windows 8 without having to do anything, rad.

Hopped into Ultra on Steam, literally the first time I have played the game in over a year (and I only played casually here and there to begin with). I only have like 700 BP/PP so my first few matches I wreck people who obviously don't know how to play the game, zero lag problems. Last match puts me into a super laggy match but I'd forgotten how frequently on Steam players have their mics put in. So this dude wins the first round, then of course once I win the second and third rounds I am a "laggy n*****" etc. While hilarious, I need find where to turn off opponent mics as it's distracting. He also lived near an airport apparently since I could hear planes in the background the whole time.

Numb

Hey, it's at least still more likely to get released in our lifetime than an official english version of Phantasy Star Online 2 :p
lol
That's a thing that exists and you could learn the language for. Don't know but even heard some rustling in the PSO2 bushes recently was it.
TXSF is a phantom and even if it is announced and released the rest of the world waits 2yrs for the arcades to be done with it.
Announced after T7 and SFV come out then releases at the earliest possible around fall 2017/2018 on arcade plus a year or 2 arcade.
That's 10 years later after original announcement.
I will wait....
Wanna be proved wrong and it realeses next year.

I say it can qualify as a "true" 3D arena brawler. I think Gundam, Dissidia and the latest DBZ fighters focus more on aerial combat, and flying around the arena as you fight. Though, the newest Dissidia may have less of a focus on that.
In gundam the movement is still very fixed even if it's in three dimensions. Full free 3D movement is limited to only a few characters/units, some are even are more or less forced to stay on the ground. Visual it looks unfamiliar, but its still just learning some specific inputs and when to do them, like how learning to use double jumps and air dashes in "anime" games or the more complex movement patterns in VF and Tekken I guess.

CPS2

I have A.D.D.

Anyway there's the obvious and common complaint about the game's overtly sexualization of its female characters that I believe has crossed a line into being a bit more deplorable than in the past, although you could easily make an argument that the exaggerated sexuality has been present in every iteration in this particular game entire movesets seem to have been made and animated with the intent to show off certain ample assets of the female cast. Very few of the new female characters exhibit the same sort of antiquated class of say Rose or the strong, aggressive look of say Makoto. With that being said this is more of a cosmetic nitpick.

Moving on to the gameplay I've noticed that a lot of the combo starters are extremely similar in a sort of cross Tekken way that I do not like at all. Footsies are more important that I initially believed, which is a good thing in my eyes, but the chess match seems to also be too simple without the ability to parry or focus dash. You have your V-reversal, but largely momentum is a bit harder to overcome in this particular game for better or worse.

Furthermore, I just think the game is a bit too focused on enabling the rushdown. There aren't many true zoners in the game who can keep you out and dominate you with normals. Oh and the grapplers while having a larger variety of specials this time around don't seem to have any range on their throws so it becomes harder to punish a whiff with a SPD and the like. Zangief and Mika in particular have pretty lackluster normals and their throw ranges just seem off to me.

Overall I'd just say exchanges just seem less juicy and more predictable to me. I'm not as excited over the new game mechanics as I have been with previous entries. I know it's early and we haven't even really begun to tap the depth of gameplay SFV can offer, but when I think back to when SF IV came out and the level of excitement I had when I first discovered how to do focus dash cancels or when I got into SF III super late and discovered how to do parries into combo punishes nothing in the new game compares.

Each one of these paragraphs triggers me lol. I disagree with everything you said, but it's not like I'm super excited about SFV. Still waiting for that Capcom Allstars =/

jbug617

Banned
Probably posted but great to see Canada Cup getting big numbers for attendance.

@lapchiduong: We may Cap USF4 at 256 players so if you haven't registered there's nothing I can do, @ 230+ right now. We also broke 500 pre reg #CCG2015

Zissou

I have A.D.D.

What do mean by all combos start the same? It seems like they're very focused on avoiding jabs being the starter for nearly everything.

You mention parry/focus, but if anything they dumbed down their respective games rather than smarten them up (and also undermine zoning/footsies, things you claim to support).

Shun

Thanks.
Those games are whack, I hated those budokai games. Are arena fighters popular?

Gundam is extremely popular, arguably the most popular in arcades.

Gunslinger Stratos is fun and moderately popular as well.

In some circles, they consider Gundam to be different genre from traditional fighting game. Not everyone shares that view but it's one that's around. The audience between the two do not overlap very much either.

WarRock

Anyone play the Naruto ones seriously? Besides youtubers
I've actually won some tournaments for the ps2 ones, specially the first 3. The first Accel one was a great game but I did not had the time to play it (never owned a ps2, so I had to practice... in roundabout ways). After that everything was huge area attacks and they tacked an awful Assist system without changing how blocking and hitstun worked, allowing stupid setups and generally the characters were way more boring though flashier, so I did not give a shit.

Narultimate 2 and Accel 1 are fucking awesome, and I never had the chance to play the GNT series.

About arena fighters:
who the fuck doesn't like Power Stone and Gundam VS

Probably posted but great to see Canada Cup getting big numbers for attendance.

Dat CPT Premier event push + confirmation that CantBlockule(cross up splash) is attending really pushed SF4 entries this year. I don't think they ever even crossed 200 before even with the likes of Daigo and all the other top internationals in attendance.

gutabo

Viscant chimes in on the KBR thing:
Long gaming drama related post coming. If you're not down with that, bail out now.

So this year at Evo I was playing KillerKai in a long set in my room on Thursday. Afterwards he asked me about what it meant to be an Evo champion and what changed after I won. I don't remember what I told him but the answer probably wasn't very good. Partially because it's not really something I'd ever considered for any length of time and also because he had just finished literally beating me 20 times in a row with NONE of the matches even remotely close and I was at a salt level not seen since Lot's wife.

The random drama surrounding F.Champ and KBR and others this week brought that conversation back to the forefront of my mind. I mentioned it a little bit on commentary during CEOtaku but I thought I might as well blogpost a bit on it right now.

The answer I should have given Eliver is “obligation and ownership”. After you win, you DO have an obligation to the game and to the community. I'm not even sure whether the obligation is a good thing or a bad thing, it's just something that is.

You can't really turn down exhibitions anymore. Even matches that aren't really that interesting to you, you kind of have to play. People deserve their shot at the champ. And that's not to say you have to play every match for huge money. There's no shame in saying “no I'm not going to play you for $1000”. As long as you're not talking trash or insulting them or going around puffing out your chest saying that you're the man, you can deny any kind of big money match you want. But small stakes matches or just random casuals in someone's room until 3am? You kind of have to do that. Part of the bargain.

Same with showing up to events. If it's going to be a big deal and you aren't busy with work/school, etc. It's important that you show up, not just for yourself or for the organizer but for the community. Once you win you've reached a point where just your name and your presence will get people to show up and make the event better. It's your obligation to be a part of as much as you can, especially for a struggling community.

And an even bigger part is that you have an obligation to watch what you say and how you promote the game. I'll give you an example of that. When vanilla Marvel was new, Justin Wong may have done serious damage to the game just by saying that Sentinel was too good and that the game wasn't that good. It doesn't matter that he changed his mind 3 days later, that sound bite probably cost the game sales and interest. People who didn't play fighting games seriously and had never been to a tournament heard “Justin Wong says MvC3 sucks and isn't as good as MvC2” or “Justin Wong thinks Sentinel ruins the game” and decided not to buy or get involved in tournaments. I know this because people actually TOLD me that. And this was in 2011, when the community was smaller and top players' reaches were smaller.

Or F.Champ saying “Marvel is dead” and saying he's going to concentrate on Rising Thunder, MKX, Killer Instinct. You can't say things like that anymore. Lots of people piling on KBR right now are guilty of things that hurt the community themselves. I'm no different, I've probably screwed up over a hundred times.

An even darker side of that is the ownership side. All of a sudden people you've never met before will accuse you of not living up to your obligations, whether it be to show up to some place or just not placing as well. And this never really goes away or can be outrun. Even great players like Justin and F.Champ felt that. Justin didn't enter Marvel at one event because he needed to concentrate on SF for Capcom Cup and a lot of people got bent way out of shape about that, same as they are with KBR right now. You aren't just representing yourself, you're representing the game and the community and a whole lot of people you don't even know. Is that fair? I don't think so. But it's just something that is.

Having said all that, a lot of what's happening to KBR right now isn't ownership or obligation, it's simply piling on. People who've had a small problem with him for awhile are jumping on now that it's less socially dangerous to do so and people who've had a large problem with him are getting to say “I told you so”. That part of the drama has less to do with winning Evo or our community and are just a part of human nature. I don't take sides in any of that. That's the part that I wish could just go away.

But it won't. All you can do is just recognize how it is and just try to do the best you can. Should Kane have entered at SCR even though he wasn't going to do that well? Yeah. Should he have played some exhibitions? Yeah. Did he mess up here? Yeah. Does he deserve all the piling on he's getting right now? No. At this point all he can do is just let it pass and try to come back strong in the future.

And the first KBR vs. Champ match when he gets back is going to be hype I'll tell you that.
(posted with Viscant's authorization)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom