• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
has any evo champion been harassed for money matches in SF? Maybe Luffy since he isn't Japanese?

Or is dumb behavior just reserved for dumb games?

It's not contradictory because being out for yourself isn't mutually exclusive from benefiting a community. It can be both at the same time. Something you do for the community can be beneficial to you. It just means you won't do anything that won't benefit you in some fashion.
That is super vague and is not how you presented your original post. You can say that is the case, but that wasn't implied in your original argument.

Edit: The two parts just didn't read as a cohesive argument you are trying to present now.

CurlyW

Yeah, Kusoru hasn't been at an American tourney for Marvel since he won that FR, I think? Maybe he's come and played under a different name but not as Kusoru, lol. He definitely stopped playing partly because of that, I think.

Nemo would be the closest person after KBR and Kusoru, I think? Takumi has had good success recently and Tokido has done well before though I don't think he played in that many tourneys? Kazunoko just keeps getting bopped. lol I told him he should stop playing it at tournaments.

I'm pretty sure there are only three non-Americans to win Marvel 3 at major American tournament: KBR at Evo 2015, Kusoru at FR 2012, and Tokido at CEO 2011.

ShinMaruku

Re: Evo champs owing something. Does the same hold true for Olympic gold medalists? If you are the fastest runner in the world, do you owe a sprint-off to anyone who asks you on the streets? I don't feel like anyone would argue this, or any similar variation. Why would gaming be different?

Well to be fair half of this is because the bullshit given to fighting game players than anybody can be the evo champ. However nobody will in their right mind would try to challenge Usain Bolt who runs damn near 30 miles a hour. Because they look at themselves and say "That shit's impossible" Not so in the fgc. I had some body told me my scrub ass has the potential to beat Daigo. I laughed at them. :E

mbpm1

Well to be fair half of this is because the bullshit given to fighting game players than anybody can be the evo champ. However nobody will in their right mind would try to challenge Usain Bolt who runs damn near 30 miles a hour. Because they look at themselves and say "That shit's impossible" Not so in the fgc. I had some body told me my scrub ass has the potential to beat Daigo. I laughed at them. :E

I believe

Kbr doesnt own anybody anything, imo. It would be nice for the fgc as a whole though (maybe).

He is not part of a organization or league. These organizations have rules to be followed, that promote the league or sport. Even just doing interviews. Most players wouldnt do them, but they have too.

He doesnt have to defend shit or participate in any exhibitions. Who does he have to answer to? This is a hobby. For fun in our free time. If he doesnt gave money to risk on money matches, why do it?

But....

He has to make a decision of risk/reward. Maybe he should do these these things, so the game he loves/greatly enjoys stays alive in the competive scene longer and there are more people to play, he can have higher pots for tournys he can win, promote himself for greater personal gain, anything.

Like some nba players are like leave me alone. Others love doing interviews and random fan interaction events cause they enjoy it or it drives their personal brand (or the team makes them do it. Get out to the car dealership smush parker!).

Hardee's/Carl's Jr. well, you get the codes from them anyway. The skin just looks like pickles, ketchup and mustard though.

Let us buy character skins to finally show Popeye's is better than KFC. If I see you online with a Colonel Sanders outfit...
That would be pretty cool actually

ShinMaruku

I believe
Screen-Shot-2015-01-14-at-11.10.14-PM-747x309.png

Yeah, Kusoru hasn't been at an American tourney for Marvel since he won that FR, I think? Maybe he's come and played under a different name but not as Kusoru, lol. He definitely stopped playing partly because of that, I think.

Nemo would be the closest person after KBR and Kusoru, I think? Takumi has had good success recently and Tokido has done well before though I don't think he played in that many tourneys? Kazunoko just keeps getting bopped. lol I told him he should stop playing it at tournaments.
Nemo got shit just for slaughtering Champ and Chris G in MMs too. Then that whole Fanatiq/paypal bullshit happened.
That is super vague and is not how you presented your original post. You can say that is the case, but that wasn't implied in your original argument.

Edit: The two parts just didn't read as a cohesive argument you are trying to present now.
You didn't answer my question about how his statement is contradictory.

CurlyW

Re: Evo champs owing something. Does the same hold true for Olympic gold medalists? If you are the fastest runner in the world, do you owe a sprint-off to anyone who asks you on the streets? I don't feel like anyone would argue this, or any similar variation. Why would gaming be different?

A fair point, but I would add a couple things:

1) It's not owing people matches or whatever, but many sports do have appearance requirements for athletes, such as being available for interviews and doing promotions. In tennis—a sport that I find serves as a good analog in many respects to the competitive fighting game and Smash Bros. scenes—the WTA has rules in place that require the top ranked players to appear play at mid-level events or be subject to a large fine. (WTA implemented these rules because Serena used to skip all the tour events and only show up for majors.) But that having been said...

2) The skill gap between the very top players and average players in the FGC is smaller than the skill gap in other competitive gaming scenes, and wayyy smaller than the skill gap in Smash Bros. You never see anybody going after PPMD for taking time off from competitive play after he won at Apex, and you also never see PPMD dropping sets to the Señor Taxi's or Mailorder2's of the Smash world. The top players in Smash are revered and respected in a way that top players in the FGC are not.

On a total different subject and to talk about something else than anime and KBR, I've been searching for twitter accounts of several former fighting games artists and found Nona's and it's full of incredible artworks.
If you don't know Nona, he's the art director that gave King of Fighters 12 and 13 a new style and he worked on many characters' sprites. He's also the crazy illustrator behind some of the amazing Snk vs Capcom chaos Artworks. He also made the arts for KOF2K1 and 2K2.

He has other works on his pixiv account if you want to know what he's up to but it's worth a look anyway. Friend also posted a few arts from his time at SNK. His works are really expressive. Hope you enjoy them!

Numb

On a total different subject and to talk about something else than anime and KBR, I've been searching for twitter accounts of several former fighting games artists and found Nona's and it's full of incredible artworks.
If you don't know Nona, he's the art director that gave King of Fighters 12 and 13 a new style and he worked on many characters' sprites. He's also the crazy illustrator behind some of the amazing Snk vs Capcom chaos Artworks. He also made the arts for KOF2K1 and 2K2.

He has other works on his pixiv account if you want to know what he's up to but it's worth a look anyway. Friend also posted a few arts from his time at SNK. His works are really expressive. Hope you enjoy it!
That's amazing man.
Thanks for the heads up.

Dahbomb

Hey you might be able to beat Daigo in DOA5 or Hearthstone.

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

MrDaravon

Posted this in the SFV Beta thread, Combofiend just put out an update:

Beta update http://www.capcom-unity.com/combofiend/blog/2015/10/21/sfv-beta-2-information-update

UPDATE 10/21:

Hey everyone. We have a quick update regarding the SFV beta 2 test user experience. As many of you have noticed, we started testing earlier than scheduled, in an effort to optimize prior to our regularly scheduled beta dates. Unfortunately, several new issues arose last night in regards to our match-making system and the rate at which matches were made, and we are not confident that the matchmaking rate will improve significantly throughout the course of this beta period. That said, user experiences will vary.

As such, we want to inform our users that the beta 2 experience will likely be limited and will not operate exactly as we intended. As planned, we will keep the servers up for the previously-announced timeframes, however, matchmaking will likely take place very slowly. While players wait for online matches, they are free to access training mode, and there are new features added to this version that allow players to change the training dummy to be computer AI, or be playable by a friend locally.

The PS4 beta is live now and the PC beta will begin at its previously scheduled time on 10/23/15 at 9:00am PST (17:00 BST and 10/24 01:00 JST). Following this beta and throughout the optimization process, we will continue to periodically turn on our servers for players to access, so keep your eyes open for new opportunities to play more SFV. Our goal is to provide the highest quality user experience as possible when the final product releases, and we thank you for your continued support.

So sounds like matchmaking is screwed, but you can at least do training mode against AI or a second player. Better than the first beta I guess (which I never got in to at all)?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That explains all those people from overseas.

Art thinks Sp00ky is tired of streaming. Noooooo Sp00ky.

Sp00ky applying for FGC manager job on Twitch? You have my full support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom