• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamari

I always thought setplay was a Japanese abbreviation for setup play, as in a strategy or techniques based upon setups.

Nvm, I think Dahbomb has it right, I don't know how i came up with my theory.

Horseress

MrDaravon

I fucking can't, this account is too good

‏FGC Bob Ross @FGC_Bob_Ross
Your character is a canvas and you're the painter. You and your opponent decide how the story unfolds, but this story is for you and him/her

Vineeth Meka ‏@ApologyMan
Vineeth Meka Retweeted FGC Bob Ross
I always know how the story ends when firebrand gets the hit.

FGC Bob Ross ‏@FGC_Bob_Ross
@ApologyMan_ But the happy little Sentinel comes and makes the happy little comeback.

Some stories are unpredictable. Isn't it wonderful?

FACE

Banned
Let's all take a moment to remember these wise words:

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";182881049]People really don't get that there's no nerfs or buffs yet. Capcom's balancing the entire game around variables you don't even know about, so saying Bison or Ryu got nerfed is weird. And not all the changes are necessarily balance reasons. There could be an internal philosophy for how they want the cast to perform according to their vision for the game, and they're just bringing everyone in line. Or they changed things because they caused weird gameplay issues you don't know about. The game is still in a massive state of flux, characters are losing and adding motions, dash animations are changing, character speeds are changing. Hell, I'm assuming a large part of what you guys are playing in the beta has been changed weeks ago.

So I'm not gonna worry about balance yet.[/QUOTE]

Anne

Is set play just a different way of referring to having limited decision trees or is there more to it than that

It's just when a character creates a situation that is a straight guess basically. Like in SF4 setplay is things that are 50/50s or unblocks that don't have hard answers. It's different than oki in the sense it's tighter and guarantees a mix up, and it can rarely occur without a knockdown (see Taokaka in BBCPEX). Oki can be setplay btw, I worded that in a weird way.

I always thought setplay was a Japanese abbreviation for setup play, as in a strategy or techniques based upon setups.

Nvm, I think Dahbomb has it right, I don't know how i came up with my theory.

Your theory is actually right, the Japanese were using it for years then English speakers picked up on it. They may have gotten it from sports since it's basically the same abbreviation, but it's been used like that in fighting games for a very long time.

Michael Mendoza ‏@IFCYipeS Oct 26
SO let me stir up the marvel pot right quick....AHEM the 5 marvel gods now are Justin,Champ,Chris,RayRay, toss up between Clock and Cloud

Super controversial

edit: on a side note i just thought of a cool team with a cool team name.

Gods Girls: Storm/Morrigan/Phoenix, get it?

Pretty good phoenix team probably

Dahbomb

Super controversial
EVO champ not in the "gods" list.

Cloud and Clockwork need to win a major before being in the running in the top 5. You can honestly throw Full Schedule and Apologyman in there at this point.

Top 10 for the game are Justin Marvelous Wong, FChamp, ChrisG, RayRay, KBR, Clockwork, Cloud, Apologyman, Full Schedule with last spot belonging to either Flux or Jan. It gets harder to rate people who have attended less than 20 tournaments in the US that are recorded publicly. Like Flux probably has more aggregate score than Cloud but also has almost 3 times as many tournaments in attendance than him yet Cloud has probably made more 2nd place finishes than most non top 4 players.

Was good in Vanilla when Storm could call assists while Floating. That strategy was probably exactly why they nerfed the Float in Ultimate.

Producer

Super controversial

edit: on a side note i just thought of a cool team with a cool team name.

Gods Girls: Storm/Morrigan/Phoenix, get it?

Why is RayRay a marvel god all of a sudden? If anything cloud is more consistant against the top 3 than him.

Kalamari

Why is it that the Marvel God list is constantly changing, while the Japanese FG Gods remain static despite their lackluster performances?

Dahbomb

Why is RayRay a marvel god all of a sudden? If anything cloud is more consistant against the top 3 than him.
Multiple major tournament wins including a recent one at DTN plus a top 2 finish at EVO. He has also made top 8 in almost every tournament he has attended within the last couple of years.

He is actually ranked 4th in the world on SRK rankings and it wouldn't even be that incorrect. He has the tournament placings to back it up. Granted he has attended more than Cloud has but he has done well in the past 2 years.

That said calling him a god is a bit premature. It's really only fitting for 3 players because of the length, consistency and scope of their dominance. Not many other players aside from ChrisG, Justin and FChamp can claim to have multiple top 8 EVO finishes for the game or claiming over 15 major tournament wins in the game. RayRay and Cloud have had a good couple of years... those 3 players have had a great 4-5 years.

Producer

Multiple major tournament wins including a recent one at DTN plus a top 2 finish at EVO. He has also made top 8 in almost every tournament he has attended within the last couple of years.

He is actually ranked 4th in the world on SRK rankings and it wouldn't even be that incorrect. He has the tournament placings to back it up. Granted he has attended more than Cloud has but he has done well in the past 2 years.

That said calling him a god is a bit premature. It's really only fitting for 3 players because of the length, consistency and scope of their dominance. Not many other players aside from ChrisG, Justin and FChamp can claim to have multiple top 8 EVO finishes for the game or claiming over 15 major tournament wins in the game. RayRay and Cloud have had a good couple of years... those 3 players have had a great 4-5 years.

He probably does have the most tourney wins outside of the 3 but still...too early to call him a god like you said. Yipes just has that NY bias

I saw the KappaRoss emote this morning and before I realized it was for the Bob Ross stream I thought Mike Ross finally got his own twitch emote.

When's Mike gonna get his emote? He even works for twitch.

Dahbomb

What was the score between Fanatiq and RayRay? 15-5 or something?
That was damn near 4 years ago. RayRay has gotten way better since then. And doesn't play Ryu anymore.

What was the score between Fanatiq and Nemo? No one will ever know because it was never streamed.

CurlyW

That was damn near 4 years ago. RayRay has gotten way better since then. And doesn't play Ryu anymore.

Agreed, but my point is I can't even think of a low moment quite like that for any of Chris, Justin, or FChamp*. Even back when Chris played Ryu.

*Mayyyyyybe when FChamp lost to the random Arthur player at Devastation 2011, but that was 2/3 in a wacky pick-your-own-pool tournament.

Dahbomb

Agreed, but my point is I can't even think of a low moment quite like that for any of Chris, Justin, or FChamp*. Even back when Chris played Ryu.

*Mayyyyyybe when FChamp lost to the random Arthur player at Devastation 2011, but that was 2/3 in a wacky pick-your-own-pool tournament.
Ehh it happens. Both ChrisG and FChamp were embarrassed by Nemo at EVO in MMs. Justin Wong didn't make it out of pools at a major tournament not too long ago. RayRay also ended up making top 8 in that same tournament he got bopped by Fanatiq.

Also generally speaking when there's talks about rankings here we are talking about 3/5 tournament standard matches here. I am sure KBR will lose to everyone in that top 10 in long sets (some of them really badly like Xian against Daigo bad) but in a 3/5 setting he's a definite monster. That's why a few years ago people tried to make Yipes out as a god because he was supposedly unbeatable in long sets at his own house while sitting on his special sofa or something... and it never should've stuck.

NEO0MJ

to the bushes

FF never really clicked with me to be frank. Finished IV and VI, tried to play X but couldn't keep going.

Not really? One because everyone in ff7 is sort of an edgelord. And two, i like shadow more than him being black and red. Color composition helps. Vincent is a different type of edge.The edge is an art.

I guess not all edge is equal.

I don't agree with Snake Eyez but it's difficult to suggest someone else

Can we count PR Rog? I feel his performance is usually pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom