• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTmAn81

I use GAF largely as a news source so I tend to just browse the main sections. I only go to Gaming Community for the buy/sell/trade thread.

Beats

People must browse GAF really differently than I do.

If I have some free time, I:
1) Check subscriptions get catch up on the few threads that I care the most about.
2) If time remains, catch up on less important subscribed threads.
3) If I'm caught up on everything I give a damn about, go to the first page of gaming and off-topic and look for stuff that's interesting. If anything catches my interest add to subscriptions.

I pretty much do the same thing.

kirblar

if you're that wound up over what threads go where, then talk to a mod instead of bitching about it here

not everyone can browse intelligently like us
None of the mods bothered to discuss this with anyone in the thread before arbitrarily moving it in the middle of the week, then pretending to hear us out and listen to arguments while the decision had already been made.

And then people are shocked, SHOCKED when the thread has about the same level of traffic as a Dissidia thread.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
None of the mods bothered to discuss this with anyone in the thread before arbitrarily moving it in the middle of the week, then pretending to hear us out and listen to arguments while the decision had already been made.

And then people are shocked, SHOCKED when the thread has about the same level of traffic as a Dissidia thread.

HIT EM WHERE IT HURTS

K.Sabot

Only 20 more pages until we match the post rate that 2 weeks ago's FGW thread went at.

Can't count last week's because the drama makes the thread an outlier.

That said, rip.

Astarte

It's whatever. I wouldn't argue with mods, I like posting too much.

Only 20 more pages until we match the post rate that 2 weeks ago's FGW thread went at.

Can't count last week's because the drama makes the thread an outlier.

That said, rip.

Why the fuck is the Joyful so hard where are the healing items someone help

Tripon

Has Capcom said how seeding would work at Capcom Cup 2015? Straight points, or will premier spots winners be favored?

petghost

Banned
My super passive aggressive strategy is that we all just start treating ultraclarity's weekend tournament fighting threads like fgw and talk about whatever.

Dahbomb

I must be one of the few people on GAF who doesn't use Subscription. I just check first pages of Community and Gaming discussion for interesting threads or read/post in regular threads (D3, DMC, Hearthstone, FGW etc all are in Community). I actually spend way more time in Community than in main gaming side (I just read thread titles for the news updates).

jerry1594

I wouldn't be surprised if the teased pics turn out to be Karin. That would mean Alex and Urien are DLC.
Also all the talk about Phantom Pain is really tempting me to just get on 360. Except I haven't played any of the others yet.

K.Sabot

I wouldn't be surprised if the teased pics turn out to be Karin. That would mean Alex and Urien are DLC.
Also all the talk about Phantom Pain is really tempting me to just get on 360. Except I haven't played any of the others yet.

Would say it's worth it to play just for the gameplay, but it's way more rewarding to understand the complexities of what's going on in the story.

One of the most rewarding game experiences in a long time imo.

Dahbomb

Since we aren't going to get relegated to anything worse than Community now, it's safe to give my 2 cents on MGSV.

MGSV is either the best MGS or the worst MGS depending on where you are coming from. Kojima's genius has no bounds to me. For years even I have criticized him for not delivering a game with game play that matches the effort he puts into his characters and cinematic story telling but with MGSV it's probably the opposite. People who are a fan of that method of story telling will probably hate MGSV but those who hated that in the previous games will probably love MGSV because of it.

Big departure from Kojima and it just makes me sad that we won't have another Kojima MGS game.

Only a few people actually bothered to reason with bish while everyone else was acting like the sky was falling. Blame them.

Also I don't know why you're catching feelings from my posts, but it makes me smile, so keep at it!

jerry1594

I actually compulsively spoiled all the games for myself by reading the summaries online years ago. But I actually have every game except 4 lol, so I might as well play them.

^as far as the lack of exposition, I guess it serves as a good balance to the interactive movie level cutscenes to MGS4 lol

This is a simple thing, do you guys think SF5 will have a online player counter when you log in when launches?

A lot of gamea do this of course, but some don't.

I like knowing how many players are on at the same time.

Unless they want to hide their player count.

shaowebb

Aaaaaaaaaaah shit its time for some hype!
Ytx93xu.jpg

TVC HYPE

Muggshotter (Condor / Karas) vs mmKALLL (Zero / Ryu)

BONUS! Tatsunoko vs Capcom was at EVO 2015 this year in a $400 side tourney. Also it has over 100 write in votes for CEO-taku right now and folks are trying to make it happen. Plus it looks like we may be able to be a part of Frosty Faustings this year if things work out. CHECK OUT SOME EVO 2015 FOOTAGE!

EVO 2015 MD Micah (Zero/Tekkaman Blade) vs MC|GCYoshi (PTX-40)

EVO 2015 MC|KBeast (Karas/Morrigan) vs. Cless Aileron (Ken The Eagle/Polimar)

MagnoManX (Casshan/Megaman Volnutt) vs. Rotanibor (Tekkaman Blade/Ryu)

Dahbomb

I actually compulsively spoiled all the games for myself by reading the summaries online years ago. But I actually have every game except 4 lol, so I might as well play them.

^as far as the lack of exposition, I guess it serves as a good balance to the interactive movie level cutscenes to MGS4 lol
Every MGS game takes interactive movie level cutscenes to a whole new level. MGS2's cutscene to game play ratio is quite insane especially when you start factoring in codec conversations.

That's the appeal to the series for many people. People who are fans of MGS love the over exposition, the crazy characters and storyline (and the Shamalamalong twists). Hell that's why I enjoy MGS too, it's like a great anime video game.

MGSV however is the opposite of every other MGS game. It's focus is actually more on the game play, the mechanics, the level design and replayability. To me as a fan of gaming in general that's great but as a fan of MGS it irks me a bit because I love me my over exposition Kojima cutscenes:

Like look at this shit.

And see how it resembles a scene from an anime.

In any case, just like that one review of Gamespot talking about MGS2.. I would say it for ever MGS game. "It boils down to this... you have to play MGS". Even if you hate it you should still play it just to experience some of its absurdity. Some of the most unique game play experiences you will ever have.

shaowebb

For a second I thought that was a Tizoc post

Just doing what I can to promote both more content and excitement in here and the fact that TvC actually is getting a bit of a small crowd gathering back to it. Rotanibor 2 tourney just finished recently in Socal for it, its getting a side tourney at CEOtaku, it was at EVO 2015 as a side tourney and we may have a presence at Frosty Faustings soon.

Anything that gets folks back into seeing stuff like this...
cbOwofh.gif

... in this thread is something I'd like to be a part of. After all, getting folks into games in the genre is what this place is about so lets give folks a reason to remember why we love what we love! We only die if we stop posting anything relevant.

FACE

Banned
Since we aren't going to get relegated to anything worse than Community now, it's safe to give my 2 cents on MGSV.

MGSV is either the best MGS or the worst MGS depending on where you are coming from. Kojima's genius has no bounds to me. For years even I have criticized him for not delivering a game with game play that matches the effort he puts into his characters and cinematic story telling but with MGSV it's probably the opposite. People who are a fan of that method of story telling will probably hate MGSV but those who hated that in the previous games will probably love MGSV because of it.

Big departure from Kojima and it just makes me sad that we won't have another Kojima MGS game.

MGS5 is actually a good game? Good, I'll probably get it once the price is more reasonable here in Brazil.

Ytx93xu.jpg

TVC HYPE

Muggshotter (Condor / Karas) vs mmKALLL (Zero / Ryu)

BONUS! Tatsunoko vs Capcom was at EVO 2015 this year in a $400 side tourney. Also it has over 100 write in votes for CEO-taku right now and folks are trying to make it happen. Plus it looks like we may be able to be a part of Frosty Faustings this year if things work out. CHECK OUT SOME EVO 2015 FOOTAGE!

EVO 2015 MD Micah (Zero/Tekkaman Blade) vs MC|GCYoshi (PTX-40)

EVO 2015 MC|KBeast (Karas/Morrigan) vs. Cless Aileron (Ken The Eagle/Polimar)

MagnoManX (Casshan/Megaman Volnutt) vs. Rotanibor (Tekkaman Blade/Ryu)

I like TvC Morrigan more than UMvC3 Morrigan. Her rushdown is so tight and intense. Reminds me of I-no.

Combos off of Megacrash is dumb, though.

I would dabble in this game if it didn't need a Wii fightstick.

shaowebb

I like TvC Morrigan more than UMvC3 Morrigan. Her rushdown is so tight and intense. Reminds me of I-no.

Combos off of Megacrash is dumb, though.

I would dabble in this game if it didn't need a Wii fightstick.

You can use the PS2 to Wii converter for it. I do it and there's no noticeable lag at all. Lets me use PS2 gear for it. Great for padwarriors or fans of the the old 15th anniversary sf stick or similar. Plus Hori wii sticks are about the cheapest things you can find in terms of sticks online. Not costly at all. Look for us at CEOtaku. The signups will be at 8 with the tourney starting at either 8:30 or 9. Still making certain with folks whether thats on the 17th or 18th.

NEO0MJ

Only a few people actually bothered to reason with bish while everyone else was acting like the sky was falling. Blame them.

I feel Bish could have interacted with us more. But yeah most of us fell into despair.

Not enough character variety :(

Just kidding. I miss this game. And seeing Morrigan here is so striking compared to her MvC3 self.

That's the appeal to the series for many people. People who are fans of MGS love the over exposition, the crazy characters and storyline (and the Shamalamalong twists). Hell that's why I enjoy MGS too, it's like a great anime video game.

MGSV however is the opposite of every other MGS game. It's focus is actually more on the game play, the mechanics, the level design and replayability. To me as a fan of gaming in general that's great but as a fan of MGS it irks me a bit because I love me my over exposition Kojima cutscenes

My friend had the opposite reaction. Even though he loved the series he hated how story focused and ridiculous it can get at times. I just roll with it.

You can use the PS2 to Wii converter for it. I do it and there's no noticeable lag at all. Lets me use PS2 gear for it. Great for padwarriors or fans of the the old 15th anniversary sf stick or similar. Plus Hori wii sticks are about the cheapest things you can find in terms of sticks online. Not costly at all.
Do PS4 sticks work on the PS2?
Then there's the fact that I would only have Wii online play... :-/

Dahbomb

MGS5 is actually a good game? Good, I'll probably get it once the price is more reasonable here in Brazil.
Yes it is actually a good "game" by most standards even though I think the previous MGS games are decent "games" too (just not high level mechanics or controls for most of them).

mbpm1

Yes it is actually a good "game" by most standards even though I think the previous MGS games are decent "games" too (just not high level mechanics or controls for most of them).

There goes my interest in playing them to catch up

I came into the MGS verse from Revengeance lawl

Dahbomb

There goes my interest in playing them to catch up

I came into the MGS verse from Revengeance lawl
Did you read my previous post?

I said no matter what, you have to play the MGS series. Good or bad, there are experiences that should be consumed.

Well except Peace Walker because that is a steaming pile of shit.

It should be noted that even though MGS series is regarded as a interactive movie type game... there is a lot of freedom in how you approach stealth situations because of all the tools provided. And the tools have gotten more and more involved with each game. The attention to detail to some of the stuff in the game is quite ridiculous at times.

shaowebb

I don't think you can even play the game online anymore. At least, not through regular means.

We use Wiimmifi. Its a custom server for Wii thats easy to set up your game for with no actual console modding. You pretty much put homebrew channel on, and then load the game from their using a launcher and setup your info to the server and it'll pop you right in there. Other folks play each other via Dolphin online and use whatever controllers they please. Those folks enjoy the polished graphics that Dolphin allows a lot. Mileage may vary on settings but everyone involved takes care of each other and helps out. Kbeast, Magnoman X, Rotanibor, Tronzilla, Dyne, and a bunch of others hang out and play and post stuff in the facebook group. A lot of us tend to lab monkey and when one of us streams we all jump and post it to facebook and we jump on. It gets silly when folks go to the lab and stream "Free Baroque" which lets you have infinite cancels. Folks did Sougenmu Zero projectiles with that and assists and it was hilariously worse the Morridoom :p

If you see a setup be sure to hop on. I've been bringing my stuff to Morgantown WV to get folks back in.
Do PS4 sticks work on the PS2?
Then there's the fact that I would only have Wii online play... :-/

Its cool. Not asking anyone to go fulltiming this or anything. If you wanna have some fun with it though I'll keep posting when folks will be at events or be online for anyone who wants to join in. Even if you just do locals and lab it out though this game is ridiculously fun and we'd love anything folks wanna talk about or share. Had a pretty good Roll/Tekkaman clip awhile back. Soooooooo much OTG.

Just doing what I can to promote both more content and excitement in here and the fact that TvC actually is getting a bit of a small crowd gathering back to it. Rotanibor 2 tourney just finished recently in Socal for it, its getting a side tourney at CEOtaku, it was at EVO 2015 as a side tourney and we may have a presence at Frosty Faustings soon.

Anything that gets folks back into seeing stuff like this...
cbOwofh.gif

... in this thread is something I'd like to be a part of. After all, getting folks into games in the genre is what this place is about so lets give folks a reason to remember why we love what we love! We only die if we stop posting anything relevant.

I have that game.

I should really play it.

mbpm1

Did you read my previous post?

I said no matter what, you have to play the MGS series. Good or bad, there are experiences that should be consumed.

Well except Peace Walker because that is a steaming pile of shit.

It should be noted that even though MGS series is regarded as a interactive movie type game... there is a lot of freedom in how you approach stealth situations because of all the tools provided. And the tools have gotten more and more involved with each game. The attention to detail to some of the stuff in the game is quite ridiculous at times.

freedom in stealth
My interest is mostly revived

I'm only interested in MGS5 because of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGKA_3JXfU

This was mine

shaowebb

I have that game.

I should really play it.

Go for it I say. If you're ever on or wanna setup for the servers to play anyone join the facebook TVC group. We'd love to chat folks through it if their interested and play. If not, its still awesome just to hear folks talk about stuff they've done or post occassionally if they're the type who record stuff. We're a pretty open bunch.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Mgs is a stealth series so i's annoying to me when I see people treat it as an action game and then complain about it lol

Dahbomb

Mgs is a stealth series so i's annoying to me when I see people treat it as an action game and then complain about it lol
Up until MGSV, a lot of the controls and mechanics involving the stealth were pretty awkward and clunky. It was especially jarring in MGS2 where you went from top down view directly into FPS view. The mechanics have been getting and better over time though and it has finally reached its final form with MGSV.

And even if it's a stealth game, there are forced action segments and boss battles in the series which is where a lot of the control constraints come into play. Stuff like trying to fight with the hi frequency blade in MGS2 is some jank shit.

Rhapsody

Banned
Been awhile since I posted. Partially because of MGSV. Game's great in so many ways yet falls flat in a lot of areas.
I definitely feel mixed on the game. It's a really good game, but when comparing it to the past games and loving those, it makes it difficult to rank.

The story and cutscenes, or rather lack of, hurts. Also didn't like how the directing from multiple cuts changed into a style where it's all one take. Gameplay is heavily improved, but once I kept playing, it started wearing me down. The open world stuff is fun and allows a lot of creativity when approaching a base, but it's a double edged sword concerning pacing.

Anyways, excited for some SFV news for when the new character gets shown. Feels weird wanting an announcement of certain veterans yet wanting to see someone new. Necalli didn't really do it for me as far as new characters go.

Azure J

So yeah, I'm probably going to start grinding Xrd hardcore. Really enjoy the game when I get in the groove, but damn if warming up doesn't feel like it takes forever for me. :lol

jerry1594

Every MGS game takes interactive movie level cutscenes to a whole new level. MGS2's cutscene to game play ratio is quite insane especially when you start factoring in codec conversations.

MGSV however is the opposite of every other MGS game. It's focus is actually more on the game play, the mechanics, the level design and replayability. To me as a fan of gaming in general that's great but as a fan of MGS it irks me a bit because I love me my over exposition Kojima cutscenes:

Like look at this shit.

And see how it resembles a scene from an anime.

In any case, just like that one review of Gamespot talking about MGS2.. I would say it for ever MGS game. "It boils down to this... you have to play MGS". Even if you hate it you should still play it just to experience some of its absurdity. Some of the most unique game play experiences you will ever have.
No question MGS is anime as all hell. But the cutscenes in Portable Ops and the little I played of Snake Eater seemed pretty tame compared to the hours long movies I see people complain about in 4. MGS2 is also really wordy from what I've seen my brother play but he's hooked so I reckon these games won't be a big hurdle to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom