• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

All those degrees in the background...

B8ZMGtECcAAP6kS.jpg

petghost

Banned
I am liking prep time + maximum lame + maximum tier enthusiastic Justin Wong for Capcom Cup.

He can maybe make top 8.

you crazy. prep time and picking a character better suited for him doesnt mean he hasnt missed like 2 years of everyone else in the game leveling up. he still basic when everyone else in those brackets is a true killer.

Dahbomb

you crazy. prep time and picking a character better suited for him doesnt mean he hasnt missed like 2 years of everyone else in the game leveling up. he still basic when everyone else in those brackets is a true killer.
You talking about a dude who prepped for a year to perfect a very specific counter strategy and then kept that strategy hidden for that year even sandbagging matches in Grand Finals just so he could secure the EVO GF win.

Not saying he's going to win Capcom Cup or anything like that... but he can do some damage if he's 100% serious.

mbpm1

He wasn't looking too bad though

You talking about a dude who prepped for a year to perfect a very specific counter strategy and then kept that strategy hidden for that year even sandbagging matches in Grand Finals just so he could secure the EVO GF win.

Not saying he's going to win Capcom Cup or anything like that... but he can do some damage if he's 100% serious.
But that was just marvel though...

petghost

Banned
It's speaks to his mentality and work ethic actually

i agree but he was at least up on the latest in marvels developments and tech. he was totally relevant in that world as well. in sf i think he may actually be years behind the best players which i think is insurmountable.

i do agree that he could surprise a lot of people by beating someone good but i dont see him making a real dent.

Infinite

i agree but he was at least up on the latest in marvels developments and tech. he was totally relevant in that world as well. in sf i think he may actually be years behind the best players which i think is insurmountable.

i do agree that he could surprise a lot of people by beating someone good but i dont see him making a real dent.

it's elena
And you have to be specific. What are these tech and recent developments from the past two years that Justin missed out on and isn't implementing into his game that's holding him back?

Lulubop

Indeed

Kindevu came back from a long hiatus from the game and was doing terribly. Picked up Elena and was able to beat people again. I think he got top 32 at evo even.

But 120k on the line, closed invitational, as if people aren't going to be ready for that shit.

Justin isn't going to beat Infiltration second round, and unless he has some sort of miraculous lower bracket luck there's no way he's making top 8.

Dahbomb

Kindevu came back from a long hiatus from the game and was doing terribly. Picked up Elena and was able to beat people again. I think he got top 32 at evo even.
And Gamerbee got top 2 at EVO with Elena as a side character, so did Infiltration who got top 3 at EVO.

Even Momochi himself used Elena as a counter pick during his EVO run.

We are way past blaming people's performances in the game on character choices.

Infinite

Kindevu is kind of a beast at fighting games so maybe that has something to do with it but he's notorious for picking the best characters anyway. yun in 3rd strike, Rufus in vanilla (won an sbo with momochi and RF with the character) , cammy in Super, yun in AE, and now Elena in ultra. So if the argument here is Elena is super cheap then yeah I agree lol.

petghost

Banned
And you have to be specific. What are these tech and recent developments from the past two years that Justin missed out on and isn't implementing into his game that's holding him back?

Yeah I overspoke and I guess I don't know what Justin knows... But with really powerful options like the momochi dp os emerging quite recently I get the feeling that the game has become incredibly complicated and to win at the highest level you are going to have to confront things like that and have an answer. The matchup knowledge needed to make it to top 8 nowadays is ridiculous.

Kalamari

I think Chen is losing his marbles, all those cat selfies.

That's what you get for spending so much time on reddit I guess.

Dahbomb

Yeah Justin isn't going to make it that far because I doubt he has mastery on all of the OSes in the game by now plus mastery over all of the match ups. Plus he is bound to drop a few Elena combos.

But really though that's how he is in many games and he still makes it work some how.

He would've done better at Capcom Cup if he had this mentality at the start of USF4. It might be a too late now for it. But as always I will be rooting for USA and that of course includes Justin Wong.

ShinMaruku

I will never root for a region that has no chance in hell. However Gamerbee Infiltration and Momochi I am pulling for. Infiltration and Momochi because they play the queen Juri.

I think you can still make a pretty good argument that Justin is one of the most talented fighting game players in the world, but he isn't a contender to win major tournaments in any game with healthy competition.

He'll be really good in SFV for the first year, definitely.

Dahbomb

I think Nuckle Du has the best chance of the US players to do good at Capcom Cup.
Consistently the most underrated USA player. He always manages to do damage.

I think you can still make a pretty good argument that Justin is one of the most talented fighting game players in the world, but he isn't a contender to win major tournaments in any game with healthy competition.
Winning a 1000 man tournament isn't healthy competition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom