• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

man snk heads are some of the most die hard fg fans i know of. like they never give up on this company.what is it about snk that makes people so zealous about their games? these people know the lore and shit.
How is it that different from fans of other companies? A lot of people know about SF lore and stuff.

I don't think I have seen any fanbase be as zealous or die hard as the Nintendo fanbase.

it's because kof is in such a bad position, unlike street fighter or nintendo, you would have to love snk like a sibling in order to stick with them.

Numb

it's because kof is in such a bad position, unlike street fighter or nintendo, you would have to love snk like a sibling in order to stick with them.

That is the case.
This is where you start to have ideas about it getting better later on and just start saying time will tell. Looks really janky tho.

Perro

That like/dislike bar in the official trailer says it all...
Chinese overlords please, throw some dollars in this poverty ass looking game.

Numb

Imagine if KOF14 was pachinko? You wouldn't even be able to see the like bar progress like with the Slient hill pachinko one instead of people being almost 50/50 about it.

NEO0MJ

I don't think I have seen any fanbase be as zealous or die hard as the Nintendo fanbase.

I say From fans are eying that position. They've become kinda insufferable lately.

Imagine if KOF14 was pachinko? You wouldn't even be able to see the like bar progress like with the Slient hill pachinko one instead of people being almost 50/50 about it.

If it was pachinko it would have at least looked good.

Red Bull just released these short interviews of fgc people. Check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElYLXxHady0&feature=iv&src_vid=IsfPfH0LuXM&annotation_id=annotation_4014218191

Beef, y u do dis?

DlzSu4v.png

lol

Numb

I say From fans are eying that position. They've become kinda insufferable lately.

If it was pachinko it would have at least looked good.

Ruthless.True but ruthless.
Anytime i hear the word Ftal fury now i just expect it to be pachinko.

Dahbomb

From fans haven't been through hell and back to be even close to Nintendo fans.

How From fans hold their own when they get a few bad Souls games in a row or if Miyazaki retires will be a test of their fandom.

Numb

Daigo inspired people outside SF or even the FGC to play.
LOL dude want's time powers so he can train in the chamber. How long can you practice in the frozen time

How From fans hold their own when they get a few bad Souls games in a row or if Miyazaki retires will be a test of their fandom.
Indeed. Even other getting inspired by from and making their own souls games ain't enough for them.
They'll probably go back to the good ones and try to perfect their speedruns.

From fans ain't got shit on Nintendo fans. Being a Nintendo fan is suffering for large chunk. Most fandoms would crumble into dust before Nintendo's history. I wouldn't wish half the shit we've gone through on Sony or MS fans.

In other news:
A neat little image put together by someone on the SkullHeart forums:

Annie from Skullgirls
Calibretto from Battle Chasers
The Drifter from Hyper Light Drifter
Juan from Guacamelee
Lea from Curses N' Chaos
Shovel Knight from Shovel Knight
Zackasaurus from Super Time Force Ultra

ElO2KJH.jpg

This has been a great boost for the campaign so far. Hopefully when the other sources pick up on it it'll keep the love going.

I'm really looking forward to what these guys look like in the Indiv style. Good stuff all round :)
Indivisible is getting playable guest incarnations from other games. I figured it is relevant thanks to the inclusion of a Skullgirls character. As if I needed to be more hyped than I am already.

Sayad

DS2 gave a sneak peek into where could things go. Not like Souls fans need a bad game to get starter though, Bloodborne's official guide drama was insufferable.

Dahbomb

I'mokaywiththis.jpg

Competition getting better or is there just less competition?
There isn't less competition from the people who actually still play the game and are good. Like say if from previous years about 30 players were actually really strong and the rest were just pot monsters at a big tournament... well those 30 players are still here and stronger than before but there are far less pot monsters at these tournaments now. So basically you can be reasonably good at the game now and not even make it out of pools, the competition is starting to get concentrated at that level.

The people who used to be below the top 3 have gotten better where as the players who are the top 3 have remained the same level. That has created a situation where at a major there's a wider pool of players who could potentially win it. Even Ultrachen could see it as plain as day.

What's more curious is that international play has been getting better. Before it used to be that a random American would go out of country and have an easy time, now it's not the case anymore. EVO was also indicative of this, that's more international representation for the series than it has ever been in the top 8.

While I don't think it's entirely true, Ultrachen has stated that the game has gotten to the point where the top tiers have been refined to such a point where there's nothing new to discover with them but there's more to figure about the character below them. So that's why we have been seeing a lot of other characters win lately (big bodies, Frank West, hell even Spencer just got back to back wins and that character has been absent from top finishes). I don't think it's entirely the case because it's really just the result of other players winning more often. Frank West won recently yes but that team and player has always been around, it's just now he has finally gotten that win. KBR has always been around but it took a while for him to get that win. Before it used to be the same 3-5 players dominating results and thus dominating what character got represented.

Like say if the following players entered a tournament:

Justin
ChrisG
FChamp
KBR
Apologyman
RayRay
Cloud
Flux
Clockwork
Nemo/Takumi/Cross/RF
Bee
Full Schedule
Jan

You don't really know who's going to win that tournament or which characters will end up winning it. Will Phoenix win it? Wolverine/Akuma? Zero/Vergil? Magneto/Doom? Hulk/Haggar? Firebrand/Skrull? Frank West/Dante? Viper/Ammy? Nova/Spencer? Strider?

That's why for quite a few people the game has been more interesting as of late. More players having a shot at winning big opens up for more team compositions and strategies than before.

That and a few other reasons is why the game should return for EVO. All of these players feel they can win big and it's not just the players but different countries as well. Latin/South America want to win it again, Japan definitely wants to win a Marvel EVO and the American Marvel community has been on a salty tirade ever since KBR. There's no way MrWizard can leave us hanging like that.

The From fans were justifiable in their anger. The guide authors repeatedly hinted at the guide having content that it didn't. Story analysis that didn't exist, secrets that didn't exist, etc. They did their job and tried to sell the guide, but any anger they receive for misrepresenting the product is on them. Especially when it was significantly delayed.

Dahbomb

Getting hate like that is never justifiable but ENB did cock tease people about secrets and the guide was delayed a bit too long.

There are some things that gamers of any community don't like... those include sell out and fake leakers/insiders. I am not accusing ENB of any of that stuff but he definitely shouldn't have made those hints about secrets in order to sell people on a product. He got called out on it and then he got mad at the community for it.

This would be akin to me being asked to make a guide for DMC5 then I hype up some hard to find combat mechanics that would only get found in the guide but turns out that players either found them already or there weren't there to begin with. People would accuse me of money hats from Capcom and I would lose respect from people in the DMC community "man I am never believing what Dahbomb says about DMC again, guy is money hatted by Capcom".

Though I have to say that him getting complaints about his videos because "he knows too much" has to be one of the most odds things I have read. Isn't that the point of watching his videos?

While I don't think it's entirely true, Ultrachen has stated that the game has gotten to the point where the top tiers have been refined to such a point where there's nothing new to discover with them but there's more to figure about the character below them. So that's why we have been seeing a lot of other characters win lately (big bodies, Frank West, hell even Spencer just got back to back wins and that character has been absent from top finishes). I don't think it's entirely the case because it's really just the result of other players winning more often.

But it IS true. A person would have to be completely naive to think that the top tier characters haven't been dissected already. There's nothing worthwhile to discover with them at this point in the game's life, or at least nothing that would shake the scene up. That isn't to say that your other reason is wrong, but don't ignore the obvious.

Numb

Didn't know it went down like that with ENB. Remmeber watching his vids and he talked about the guide alot and hyped it. Sucks he didn't deliver what was promised.

<insert deep ass post here>

The game has indeed become more interesting to watch as of late for those reasons, particularly at Canada Cup. I about lost it when Frank West caught Phoenix out of the Dark Phoenix transformation for the instant-kill. Or even some the weirder play, like dude aggressively using meter(and regular Phoenix) in his anchor Phoenix team.

Kinda want to see this Jill, tho

As for Marvel 3 and EVO, how long did marvel 2 last? Is there any legitimate reason to think it won't make it outside of people just acting how people act on the internet? :p

Sayad

Getting hate like that is never justifiable but ENB did cock tease people about secrets and the guide was delayed a bit too long.

There are some things that gamers of any community don't like... those include sell out and fake leakers/insiders. I am not accusing ENB of any of that stuff but he definitely shouldn't have made those hints about secrets in order to sell people on a product. He got called out on it and then he got mad at the community for it.
Only thing I ever seen him tease were lore reveals and weapons stats stuff, which there was a lot of in the guide. Used to watch his videos as soon as they were released at the time and don't remember him mentioning anything about main game secret, he expressed excitement about the guide a lot and kept saying things like "I can't wait until I'm able to talk about... when the guide release" but it was always while talking about the lore like enemy names and their backstories. Seems like some took his "excitement" as a tease for whatever they wanted from the guide and hyped themselves way too much. Seeing it unfold was like reading through a Gaf pre-conference thread, you can't help but to smh.

NEO0MJ

Speaking of guides, did anyone buy a guide for any fighting game? I did for Marvel 3. Had some good stuff in it.

He shouldn't have promised things that weren't there, or not as expanded upon. But the delay seems like something totally out of his control. Should have went after the publisher for that issue.

The From fans were justifiable in their anger. The guide authors repeatedly hinted at the guide having content that it didn't. Story analysis that didn't exist, secrets that didn't exist, etc. They did their job and tried to sell the guide, but any anger they receive for misrepresenting the product is on them. Especially when it was significantly delayed.

I wasn't there when it happened, but it still feels wrong to hound him like that. And he has a point about how a lot of stuff guides had online were probably copied from his guide.

Only thing I ever seen him tease were lore reveals and weapons stats stuff, which there was a lot of in the guide. Used to watch his videos as soon as they were released at the time and don't remember him mentioning anything about main game secret, he expressed excitement about the guide a lot and kept saying things like "I can't wait until I'm able to talk about... when the guide release" but it was always while talking about the lore like enemy names and their backstories. Seems like some took his "excitement" as a tease for whatever they wanted from the guide and hyped themselves way too much. Seeing it unfold was like reading through a Gaf pre-conference thread, you can't help but to smh.

Yeah, reading the twitter post it seems that people took what he was hinting at to be earth shattering mind breaking information and got disappointed when that wasn't the case. In that event I have to blame the people that didn't keep their hype and expectations in check.

Just saw this in the 4chan /vg/ thread. Chun gonna be a high execution character in SFV.

I don't think that works unless it's a counterhit though, my experience with the chun legs tech was that she was safe or + on block though so the concept of making her instant overheads safe and even getting a combo from it is quite intriguing.

I hope it stays unknown and doesn't get taken out/changed to be useless

This was better. Well it looked better.

https://my.mixtape.moe/gnrcha.webm

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
As for Marvel 3 and EVO, how long did marvel 2 last? Is there any legitimate reason to think it won't make it outside of people just acting how people act on the internet? :p

Three things could theoretically unseat MVC3: a direct sequel, a spiritual sequel with similar team mechanics, or simply enough new games coming out to bury it. The third is the most-likely. I doubt it'd happen in 2016 but anything beyond that is an open question.

MVC2 technically lasted 11 years, but a significant stretch of that run was at least partly due to a lack of strong competition. IIRC, interest had already been tapering off for a while and it was actually a late addition to EVO 2010, only getting its spot back because another game had to be dropped from the line-up. I recall Viscant commenting on the atmosphere in the scene changing a lot after SF4's release, and that MVC2 had dropped off from being one of the main attractions of EVO to "just another game." MVC3 is going to be in a similar spot after SF5 drops, even though there isn't as much overlap between the playerbases of those series as some people seem to believe.

From fans ain't got shit on Nintendo fans. Being a Nintendo fan is suffering for large chunk. Most fandoms would crumble into dust before Nintendo's history. I wouldn't wish half the shit we've gone through on Sony or MS fans.

Aonuma and Sakamoto are a lot to suffer through, yeah. Then again, the Sony camp has David Cage.

Shin loves his 3d video game waifus man

Shin loves the ignore button man.

Spoiler tags, please.

While I don't think it's entirely true, Ultrachen has stated that the game has gotten to the point where the top tiers have been refined to such a point where there's nothing new to discover with them but there's more to figure about the character below them. So that's why we have been seeing a lot of other characters win lately (big bodies, Frank West, hell even Spencer just got back to back wins and that character has been absent from top finishes). I don't think it's entirely the case because it's really just the result of other players winning more often. Frank West won recently yes but that team and player has always been around, it's just now he has finally gotten that win. KBR has always been around but it took a while for him to get that win. Before it used to be the same 3-5 players dominating results and thus dominating what character got represented.

This is similar to what's happening in KOF13 as well. Non-IKK characters are becoming stronger and stronger and gaining champions like Misterio.

Meanwhile, KOF2002UM play can look like the game's way worse off than Marvel 2. Like, give me one 50/50 and I can tell you the team comp of 90% of entrants at King of Wolves. ( K' / Kasumi OR Kula / Nameless. It was awful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom