• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

You can't really blame ASW when the machines at gesen are making the revenue they do.

It's why Gundam's release dates for console are delayed worse than any of the ArcSys games. I still buy every console update, I'd rather them constantly do so than delay the game further. I wouldn't want to be forced with Continuum Shift or Chronophantasma or Xrd for 2-3 years until a real update.

However you can blame ASW for forcing a disc upgrade rather than a patch. ASW knows this and does so because they know people will still pay for it. They slightly make up for no add on patch with a discounted price, but it is a little much.
Deal with that with Tekken but on a whole other lvl. Wish we got yearly updates that came to console but by the time you do it 4-5yrs in a row with each time getting the ''new'' one then it gets old. Buying the new game every year and then having the thought in the back of your head that less than half a year a new one is coming..that you can only watch.

when was the last time asw made a game that wasnt heavily based on the mechanics of GG? battle fantasia?

i'd like to see them branch out if they ever do a new ip.
There is a reason for that. The team that made Darkstalkers left Capcom. They made GG as an evolution of the title. Then they lost the GG IP, so we had a big break in GG titles. So they made BB as a replacement. People still craved GG, so they got the IP back. So they have two franchises with similar playstyles as a result.

Shun

when was the last time asw made a game that wasnt heavily based on the mechanics of GG? battle fantasia?

i'd like to see them branch out if they ever do a new ip.

Blazblue? It's actually really different from each other. ASW games are all different mechanics wise.

Guilty Gear focuses more on hard knockdowns, set play, oki, etc. It's more meter management heavy.

Blazblue isn't as fast pace but is more combo heavy and doesn't have anything like roman cancels. There are wakeup options in Blazblue.

The only similarities is that they have a Burst, combos can be autopilot, anime.

If anything Persona is Blazblue lite but it's still pretty different.

Guilty Gear has a higher learning curve but both games are very competitive and difficult at a high level.

Shun

I feel like BB is faster than GG these days. Q?

I was speaking regarding to AC+R.

With GGXrd SIGN yes only because BlazBlue upped it's speed considerably since Continuum Shift and they've upped the bullshit you can do in the game.

In Xrd, post-Revelator it will probably go back to being more fast paced mostly because of how technical the game is with forcing you to build and spend meter through Roman Cancels, set plays, and oki.

Once things settle down a bit, Xrd is definitely going to be a faster game.

petghost

Banned
Blazblue? It's actually really different from each other. ASW games are all different mechanics wise.

Guilty Gear focuses more on hard knockdowns, set play, oki, etc. It's more meter management heavy.

Blazblue isn't as fast pace but is more combo heavy and doesn't have anything like roman cancels. There are wakeup options in Blazblue.

The only similarities is that they have a Burst, combos can be autopilot, anime.

If anything Persona is Blazblue lite but it's still pretty different.

Guilty Gear has a higher learning curve but both games are very competitive and difficult at a high level.

BB and P4U are both heavy based on guilty gear mechanics despite the fact that they may play differently... i dno what you are getting at. im specifically talking about the asw suite of mechanics like airdashes, bursts, RC's, FD/Barrier etc etc etc. all three games have different takes on these mechanics (i guess p4u doesnt have FD but whatev). and bb does have RC's.

persona even got a weird universal overhead ala dust.

all im saying is that these mechanics were put together in like 2001 and i'd like to see them try something different.

BB and P4U are both heavy based on guilty gear mechanics despite the fact that they may play differently... i dno what you are getting at. im specifically talking about the asw suite of mechanics like airdashes, bursts, RC's, FD/Barrier etc etc etc. all three games have different takes on these mechanics (i guess p4u doesnt have FD but whatev). and bb does have RC's.

persona even got a weird universal overhead ala dust.

all im saying is that these mechanics were put together in like 2001 and i'd like to see them try something different.
Throw some ideas out.

Kumubou

Throw some ideas out.
I'm not even sure if this that good of an idea -- I guess it depends on how drastic of a change you want to make. As a reference point, all of Examu's game are fairly differently mechanically... but I'm not sure if the games are any better for it. There's something to be said about spending a lot of time refining a core ruleset, given how important it is to get right.

I don't think you would want a team diverging that much from what they know, but at the same time you would still want the freedom to experiment. Too bad fighting games really are not a good genre for prototyping with.

petghost

Banned
Throw some ideas out.

man i aint trying to shit on asw i like their games but despite that the market of jp fighters is up to its neck in games directly or indirectly influenced by gg based mechanics(many of which i like quite a bit). thats why i thought yata was such a breath of fresh air in that a small jp studio was trying something that wasnt about incredibly strong high/low mixups, pressure strings and huge air mobility or whatever.

i guess some other jp devs are trying things out like that game with with the historically accurate loli battles that seems to have a kind of kof pace(kumubou help me out with the name here) or aquapazza.

Kumubou

i guess some other jp devs are trying things out like that game with with the historically accurate loli battles that seems to have a kind of kof pace(kumubou help me out with the name here) or aquapazza.
Great, is this the reputation I have on NeoGAF now?
Of course it is. :x

You're probably referring to the Koihime Musou games, with Koihime Enbu being the latest in the series.

As an aside, I think some of the more important experiments were actually done with something like P4A and DBFC, where the developers were trying to streamline common genre conventions so that the genre isn't completely impenetrable to new players without completely gutting what makes the games interesting. (That and having popular waifus in the game helps a lot with getting people on board in that market.)

Shun

Yatagarsu is never coming out. I mean you have UNIEL but that's French Bread. There might be a new Melty Blood?

It's not as if air dash, burst, etc. are mutually exclusive to ArcSys and they've refined on those mechanics over the years while creating enough variation and introducing enough unique elements to make their games stand out. I mean a lot of Capcom games have similar mechanics that have been refined over the years.

Gundam games mechanically play similar for the past decade and have refined of the mechanics. Bandai Namco does that for a lot of what they do outside of Tekken.

They only really have 2-3 franchises they make and support, the rest they publish with how relatively small they are. What people come to expect from ArcSys now is not only mechanically unique/gimmick characters, but a faster paced game without just artificially making it faster. I don't see how ArcSys wants to or can invest the time and manpower to create a completely unique system that won't fit the image they've created over the past few years. when Guilty Gear and Blazblue are as popular as they are now.

If they could handle making and supporting another game, unless they know for sure that it will sell, I don't see them doing something completely unique.

Shining is popular series from SEGA but Blade Arcus from Shining SUCKED and it DIED from the start. Even the update is gonna be terrible. I don't even know how Blade Arcus got an update other than being funded by Sega and being from a popular series.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I feel like BB is faster than GG these days. Q?

GGAC is a tad bit faster than BBCP and BBCP is a tad bit faster than Xrd

Edit: Xrd will never be more technical than BB until they bring back FRC and Force Breaks

BB requires so much character time and match up investment it's not even funny. BBCF made things even harder with the Active Flow and Exceed Accel stuff

you guys reminded me that nitro+ is coming to consoles next month in japan, but apparently xseed is supposed to be releasing the game in NA Q4 as well, anyone know anything about that?

i don't mind importing, but a timely localization effort would be worth supporting

GGAC is a tad bit faster than BBCP and BBCP is a tad bit faster than Xrd

Edit: Xrd will never be more technical than BB until they bring back FRC and Force Breaks

BB requires so much character time and match up investment it's not even funny. BBCF made things even harder with the Active Flow and Exceed Accel stuff
What do those words mean?

Also, that's pretty much what I thought - thanks.

marvel is dying because everyone in chat just talks with some guy named Gayfetus the whole time and doesn't watch the matches.

good matches going on here with cloud and others:
http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

edit: whoa, marlinpie is there. is he playing again? last time I paid close attention to marvel, he was MIA for years b/c of work.

Shun

What do those words mean?

Also, that's pretty much what I thought - thanks.

Active Flow is a buff you get for playing offensively, opposite to Negative Penalty in Xrd. You deal more damage, recover more burst, and more. It activates when you continually go on the offensive.

Exceed Accel is basically a new Distortion Finish that you activate when you're in Overdrive. If you hit a specific move in a string, you will end in Exceed Accel and do a ton of damage in exchange for ending your Overdrive.

Xrd will add more to it's depth in the later revisions and it will be faster, I hope more faster rather than less so. It won't be as difficult or as technical as AC+R but it can definitely be faster paced and more technical as we saw with Blazblue's additions.

Active Flow is a buff you get for playing offensively, opposite to Negative Penalty in Xrd. You deal more damage, recover more burst, and more. It activates when you continually go on the offensive.

Exceed Accel is basically a new Distortion Finish that you activate when you're in Overdrive. If you hit a specific move in a string, you will end in Exceed Accel and do a ton of damage in exchange for ending your Overdrive.

Xrd will add more to it's depth in the later revisions and it will be faster, I hope more faster rather than less so. It won't be as difficult or as technical as AC+R but it can definitely be faster paced and more technical as we saw with Blazblue's additions.
Sounds like they jumped the shark to me. Overdrives were already a good enough extra option (that I barely even used).

jbug617

Banned
Saw on Twitter that Seattle Round 1 has a Nesica cab
CTV2DgyUsAAy8sl.jpg

https://twitter.com/talking_chicken/status/663566329237008384

It's not up yet though.

jerry1594

Yata AoC is already out on PC and Nesica.

nicalis or something was doing a port but with i think they doing it with ver 4.3 so fuck that.
What were the Kickstarter characters? Aja and Kotaro? I got it a while ago but I'm still waiting on ggpo so I haven't touched it other than messing in training mode a bit.

Shun

Saw on Twitter that Seattle Round 1 has a Nesica cab
CTV2DgyUsAAy8sl.jpg

https://twitter.com/talking_chicken/status/663566329237008384

It's not up yet though.

Good that's the first step in modernising. You just need to pay for the game licenses to download now.

Go grab some Sega All.Net Multi and Konami e-Amusement machines and you'll have a modern game centre again.

I really hope they do well and succeed. Even if it is a net loss at first, it's definitely worth a try...

petghost

Banned
What were the Kickstarter characters? Aja and Kotaro? I got it a while ago but I'm still waiting on ggpo so I haven't touched it other than messing in training mode a bit.

aja, kotaro and azure are the new chars. i got no clue if they ever gonna actually implement ggpo (maybe juicebox knows) but the netcode is actually pretty good as it is.

I'm interested in getting better at fighting games and was looking into creating a account with Shoryuken. I found that I need an invitation code to join their forum. Can any of you kind hearted souls help me acquire one of these codes?

mbpm1

I'm interested in getting better at fighting games and was looking into creating a account with Shoryuken. I found that I need an invitation code to join their forum. Can any of you kind hearted souls help me acquire one of these codes?

You do?

I remember I signed up like it was a normal one.

CurlyW

Wait, seriously? I'd say they're killing their forums, but you can't kill what's already dead.

Is there a game in particular you're looking to get better at?

i never needed a code, and I'd advise against using the srk forums. pretty outdated info and outdated itself. Probably have a better chance watching match analysis by like arturo/ultradavid/or theoryfighter. Youtube itself is most likely better than srk

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
A fire alarm just went off during Melee grand finals at Tipped Off. The players played through to the end of the game anyway.

Anne

I think people who aren't very familiar with ASW games don't understand how drastically different BB/GG/P4U all are lol. GG and BB in particular, they might as well be opposites sometimes, with P4A near the middle.

i never needed a code, and I'd advise against using the srk forums. pretty outdated info and outdated itself. Probably have a better chance watching match analysis by like arturo/ultradavid/or theoryfighter. Youtube itself is most likely better than srk

Thanks! I'll check them out. I've played fighting games casually for years but just started playing online with Killer Instinct and Xrd and realized I don't actually know how to correctly play them.

Kalamari

Stick with GAF, it's like the swiss army knife of gaming forums.

Besides, I think fighting game forums (except FG GAF) have gone to shit, both SRK and Dustloop have been declining in quality from my perspective.

There are plenty of knowledgeable people here who can answer your questions.

I think people who aren't very familiar with ASW games don't understand how drastically different BB/GG/P4U all are lol. GG and BB in particular, they might as well be opposites sometimes, with P4A near the middle.

My first introduction to fighting games was GGxx2 so I feel much more comfortable with asw games. I also really suck though.

mbpm1

Stick with GAF, it's like the swiss army knife of gaming forums.

Besides, I think fighting game forums (except FG GAF) have gone to shit,

Yeah, we've only gone to community!

Kappa

In all seriousness this thread will likely have better response time/factchecking than srk.

Thanks! I'll check them out. I've played fighting games casually for years but just started playing online with Killer Instinct and Xrd and realized I don't actually know how to correctly play them.

check out the dustloop wiki for xrd to get a good rundown for basics/game mechanics. Not sure if lordknight does things for xrd but he'd be a good one to check out, and as karst said dustloop. Also the OT for xrd here is a good place to start as well as others have said

Anne

My first introduction to fighting games was GGxx2 so I feel much more comfortable with asw games. I also really suck though.

Well, if you wanna take it further I can kinda help you out. Where you at? I can point you towards locals p easy I think. Dustloop is the forum for ASW stuff, I used to help run it. It's still a pretty good joint, it just gets p silly at times and is going through a bunch of changes.

Most forums have gone to absolute shit lately though, DL is barely acceptable and it is a thousand miles ahead of SRK. You need to find locals and those social media plugs to help you out.

SRK is only good for Capcom games. Go to dustloop.com for Xrd. Not sure about KI.

Well, if you wanna take it further I can kinda help you out. Where you at? I can point you towards locals p easy I think. Dustloop is the forum for ASW stuff, I used to help run it. It's still a pretty good joint, it just gets p silly at times and is going through a bunch of changes.

Most forums have gone to absolute shit lately though, DL is barely acceptable and it is a thousand miles ahead of SRK. You need to find locals and those social media plugs to help you out.

I'm in Japan. I'm live at a station between Shibuya and Yokohama.

Marz

I don't think Gaf is a good place to get better or learn about fighting games. For example most of the last few pages have been about tits and ass.

Edit: best places are youtube and surprisingly twitter

Anne

I'm in Japan. I'm live at a station between Shibuya and Yokohama.

Oh shit. If you know Japanese hit up a BBS. Idk my way around Japan but between people here we can probably get you somewhere. Japanese arcades actually do events for new players sometimes so you should look for those.

Also listen to Marz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom