• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't Jiyuna denied for making fun of and egging on a suicidal person on twitter?

I do seem to recall something like that yeah

They best. Then I won't have to buy for years again because arcsys is bizarre and makes Nintendo look sane.

At least we know with 100% certainty what their priorities are

1st Japanese arcade players
2nd Japanese console players
3rd American players
4th Europeans

:v

Rhapsody

Banned
Wasn't Jiyuna denied for making fun of and egging on a suicidal person on twitter?

I thought he was saying that to the person that was egging on the suicidal person when I first saw the tweet.

But then he got banned so I was wondering if I just misread it or something since people say the former.

Do you guys think they'll have Dizzy ready for the console version of Xrd-R?

I actually think she'll be in before consoles.

if a community is actively playing a game, i don't think a community run event should screw them over just because their game's dev is already screwing them over

Anne

if a community is actively playing a game, i don't think a community run event should screw them over just because their game's dev is already screwing them over

Look at it from the TO perspective. If you put up the game, you want numbers. You put up a game that is 7 months out of date in Japan, are you gonna get JP players? How many NA players will travel for a tournament so light on internationals? Is the dev/pub going to support you? Can you get money for it?

The answer to all of that is probably gonna not look great. Not worth the risk or the time/space allotment. Especially when you have other way more viable options to fall back on.

Also the NA community is not actively playing BB with a few minor exceptions anyways. I think it would be way better to try and make AnimeEvo so big that Evo has to start working more with it.

If I had to guess, they make Dizzy the day 1 OP waifu DLC for the console release (like Kokonoe and Elphelt were in their games).
I'm all about that. Top tier Dizzy followed by top tier Nine? Heck yeah!

I don't think outdated games have any place at Evo.

Shun

Pretty sure ASW can and will throw their fans a bone and add Dizzy into arcade patch release then add more new characters into console release of Xrd Revelator...

Revelator Arcade is only on a 1.02 patch right now. Same with Nine and CentralFiction.

Also ASW does prioritise its fans, blame game centres for lobbying delayed release dates because of how well the arcade versions still sell. It just doesn't prioritise it's console audience for that very reason.

At this point EVO has become an international tournament with international players making way to participate. It's no longer western only oriented nor should it just cater to their only western players. If a game is competitive and good, it should at least be advertised well even as a side tournament. It's okay if it's a side tournament.

Kumubou

who would ya'll say has the best zoning tools in melty?

nero?
F-Hime and it's not even that close. Air pillars are absurdly safe (just remember to fly cancel the recovery) and if you have meter they're pretty much completely safe since you can cancel into EX pillar at any time. 2B is one of the dumbest normals in the game given the size of its hitbox, the fact that it's a low (?!?) and the fact that you can't air block it. (?!?!?) Chucking stars can cover a ton of horizontal space and is good against characters with no answer (and not so good for characters that do, since it's laggy). The only real issue is that she's rather awkward to play and her combos can be finicky.

With that said though, if you want to play Nero go ahead, as his space control game is still damn good and he's a strong character overall.

If the event is gonna be like that then they should not be servicing that community.

if the event is gonna be like that, then they aren't servicing that community . . .

Look at it from the TO perspective. If you put up the game, you want numbers. You put up a game that is 7 months out of date in Japan, are you gonna get JP players? How many NA players will travel for a tournament so light on internationals? Is the dev/pub going to support you? Can you get money for it?

The answer to all of that is probably gonna not look great. Not worth the risk or the time/space allotment. Especially when you have other way more viable options to fall back on.

Also the NA community is not actively playing BB with a few minor exceptions anyways. I think it would be way better to try and make AnimeEvo so big that Evo has to start working more with it.

"if a community is actively playing a game" . . .

i don't expect an outdated game to have an active community large enough for evo, but if one does exist, ignoring them just because the game is outdated doesn't make sense

wasn't persona outdated at, was it this year's evo? and didn't the japanese come through and body people anyway?

Side events still exist.

so actually, of all the game's i got bodied in at evo this year, bb wasn't one of them because the side tournament had a cap. if you're not an official event, there's only so much time and space you can take up at evo

anyway, my point was that i think community activity should be the main metric, not how old the game is or whether it's outdated or whatever. if enough people are playing it, let it rock

Anne

i don't expect an outdated game to have an active community large enough for evo, but if one does exist, ignoring them just because the game is outdated doesn't make sense

wasn't persona outdated at, was it this year's evo? and didn't the japanese come through and body people anyway?

so actually, of all the game's i got bodied in at evo this year, bb wasn't one of them because the side tournament had a cap. if you're not an official event, there's only so much time and space you can take up at evo

anyway, my point was that i think community activity should be the main metric, not how old the game is or whether it's outdated or whatever. if enough people are playing it, let it rock

You're right about Persona, and it worked out fine due to a number of factors. The game being dated is whatever, what kept Persona in was the Japanese saying "hey we want this and will support it" which they did really well, regardless of the update snafu. If JP players suddenly say "we want to come play BBCPEX" and there's more NA community support behind that idea, go for it I guess.

Again, it's better for the anime community at this point to do the DIY approach and be so huge and disruptive that TOs decide we need more dedicated event space/time or more CEOtakus. That's basically what Smash did.

Rhapsody

Banned
F-Hime and it's not even that close. Air pillars are absurdly safe (just remember to fly cancel the recovery) and if you have meter they're pretty much completely safe since you can cancel into EX pillar at any time. 2B is one of the dumbest normals in the game given the size of its hitbox, the fact that it's a low (?!?) and the fact that you can't air block it. (?!?!?) Chucking stars can cover a ton of horizontal space and is good against characters with no answer (and not so good for characters that do, since it's laggy). The only real issue is that she's rather awkward to play and her combos can be finicky.

With that said though, if you want to play Nero go ahead, as his space control game is still damn good and he's a strong character overall.

I remember being excited for Hime to be a playable. Then I got soured from using her after fighting her in a long session when the PC port was new. Had no idea how to consistently deal with her as Len. F F-Hime :/

notworksafe

Melee being an old game that stays because they riot if it gets taken off. :p

all evo has to do is institute mandatory showers & deodorant before heading down to the hall and the smash community will instantly disappear

last year was there was legitimately disgusting smell coming from the smash area. no jokes.

jbug617

Banned
USF4 is going to be interesting one for EVO.

My guess:

SF5 (the main event)
UMvC3 (Wiz fav game and now all the drama surrounding it)
Melee (brings in numbers)
Smash 4 (same thing)
Xrd (doing great at events and will get a lot of international players)
MKX (doing great at events and new DLC)
KI (Season 3 begins next year and the PC version comes out so the player base could get bigger).

Dahbomb

When has there not been drama surrounding MVC3? LMAO!

I think main reason for why MVC3 should be at EVO (aside from it still doing fine at tournaments) is that this will be the first Marvel EVO where a non American would be defending it. Over the past couple of months the narrative has been that this is not American's game anymore and more countries want to do what KBR did for Chile. Maybe Japan will send even more players this time that can do damage. To me that's very interesting and I want to see USA step up to retake the possibly last EVO for the game.

Tl:dr version: Mr Wiz isn't gonna let US ride dirty like that

Anne

It's not the WWE, you don't need a narrative, Wiz isn't McMahon. The game is a long time favorite, it gets enough numbers and viewers, VS series is a mainstay.

Kumubou

USF4 is going to be interesting one for EVO.

My guess:

SF5 (the main event)
UMvC3 (Wiz fav game and now all the drama surrounding it)
Melee (brings in numbers)
Smash 4 (same thing)
Xrd (doing great at events and will get a lot of international players)
MKX (doing great at events and new DLC)
KI (Season 3 begins next year and the PC version comes out so the player base could get bigger).
Honestly, I expect this to be the exact roster for the main games. Although I could see Rising Thunder having a special exhibition there and Tekken 7 being a special add (for what, the third year in a row?). Watch as they make everyone play Tekken 7 at Evo on PSVR headsets (which would be... something).

It's not the WWE, you don't need a narrative, Wiz isn't McMahon. The game is a long time favorite, it gets enough numbers and viewers, VS series is a mainstay.
Wait, you mean this isn't WWE-sports?

*puts down his "MrWiz screwed UNIEL" sign*

ShinMaruku

just curious, does mamba still enter events with any regularity? last time i talked to him about 5 he was complaining pretty heavily

I have not seen that man at events for years. He should have returned for Ultimate or Last Round most issues were fixed pretty handily by the team. But I don't follow the events in his area too clearly so he might be at some but none that I know of.

petghost

Banned

thank you! imma investigate.

im just in training mode but im working with f- vakiha right now who seems pretty ridic but i usually like to play more space control type chars.

pretty soon im gonna try to get some games online

Krackatoa

thank you! imma investigate.

im just in training mode but im working with f- vakiha right now who seems pretty ridic but i usually like to play more space control type chars.

pretty soon im gonna try to get some games online

She's also really good, and there's a lot of info out there for her.

I'm just an asshole who plays C-Roa. F-Hime and F-Vakiha bring me back down to earth.

ShinMaruku

Again, it's better for the anime community at this point to do the DIY approach and be so huge and disruptive that TOs decide we need more dedicated event space/time or more CEOtakus. That's basically what Smash did.

That's what all scenes outside of the conglomerate more games would get in. I would not look for help from within that conglomerate. That said, I think Anime has a chance to do it if it had some of the bell ends grow up and proper structure formed.

narratives make losses or wins all that much bitter/sweeter. Just like cinderella stories in other sports. Also helps with engagement if ppl got somebody to root for/against

So, what would your pickup line be for mewtwo

Mewtwo reads minds, shit is pointless

narratives make losses or wins all that much bitter/sweeter. Just like cinderella stories in other sports. Also helps with engagement if ppl got somebody to root for/against

That's how people can watch games for years, still get hype over dumb shit and never learn to see good play if it hit them in the face with a rusty crowbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom