• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightii

Banned
There are times were I would rather just mute streams and hide chats to make sure I can avoid the WWE LARP bullcrap as much as possible.

I am here to enjoy fighting games and the way people play them, not to see players be assholes with a dumb excuse.

narratives make losses or wins all that much bitter/sweeter. Just like cinderella stories in other sports. Also helps with engagement if ppl got somebody to root for/against
Gamerbee's run on EVO, going through Daigo to reach Top 32, going to war with Infiltration and making it, and coming so close to winning it all only to fall short at the very end after an unfortunate accident was a sweet, natural narrative that brought the hype.

Some asshole trying to start shit on twitter in order to get their precious money match is just cringe material.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
There are times were I would rather just mute streams and hide chats to make sure I can avoid the WWE LARP bullcrap as much as possible.

I am here to enjoy fighting games and the way people play them, not to see players be assholes with a dumb excuse.

^this

Krackatoa

SFV
Xrd
MKX
UMvC3
T7 or USFIV
Melee
Smash4

Seriously, this is a tough situation given that we have more than 7 communities now. T7 is going to have a tough time getting on main stage simply due to numbers.

Shouta

That's exactly what happened. His account was pending, then duckroll denied his account approval when that shit went down. Kingofsarus was the one who got permed, iirc

His account was active actually thought he hadn't posted using it yet. He was egging on a guy that posted a suicide thread here on GAF. We were monitoring the thread at the time and saw that shit. Nuked the untouched account as a result.

Dahbomb

Marvel 3 isn't outdated - it's the most current version.

I'd be fine with Melee going, honestly.

Why not get arcade machines for all the JP-only games?
Yeah I know exactly what you meant (and neither is Melee outdated because its most current version is played), it was just a slight jab. At next EVO, Melee and Marvel 3 if they make it would be the only games played on non current gen hardware.

Does Marvel deserve to be at evo simply because its the most current version of a franchise/sub genre?

It's not like they have soul calibur 5 and king of fighter xiii in the roster anymore.

Are there arena fighters in the evo lineup?

Nightii

Banned
Yeah I know exactly what you meant (and neither is Melee outdated because its most current version is played), it was just a slight jab. At next EVO, Melee and Marvel 3 if they make it would be the only games played on non current gen hardware.

Well, technically that is not the case...

Shun

Because Tekken 7 is a unique board and cabinet and it is easier and cheaper to bring to an event, especially if Bandai Namco is willing to provide a board for it.

I believe CafeID Knee owns a personal Tekken 7 cabinet and it came out to be around 15,000+?

Other JP games are licensed on SEGA Multi or TAITO Nesica cabinets and you would not only need to buy the cabinet but you would also need to get the license to download the games on each cabinet.

ASW games run on separate cabinets with BlazBlue on Taito Nesica and Guilty Gear on SEGA Multi. These cabinets are more expensive because they have shmup games like Caladrius Blaze as well, it's not just fighters.

The prices for this would be exponentially more expensive than Tekken 7.

Consider an arena fighter Gundam EXVS Maxi Boost, if the Western community was ever big enough to even support it the cost would be even higher than Tekken 7 and Taito/Sega combined since you require a personal cabinet for all 4 players playing.

This could be mitigated if gesen owners in the United States modernised and are willing to sponsor and provide cabinets to play on. For example, Round One.

Because Tekken 7 is a unique board and cabinet and it is easier and cheaper to bring to an event, especially if Bandai Namco is willing to provide a board for it.

I believe CafeID Knee owns a personal Tekken 7 cabinet and it came out to be around 15,000+?

Other JP games are licensed on SEGA Multi or TAITO Nesica cabinets and you would not only need to buy the cabinet but you would also need to get the license to download the games on each cabinet.

ASW games run on separate cabinets with BlazBlue on Taito Nesica and Guilty Gear on SEGA Multi. These cabinets are more expensive because they have shmup games like Caladrius Blaze as well, it's not just fighters.

Consider an arena fighter Gundam EXVS Maxi Boost, if the Western community was ever big enough to even support it the cost would be even higher than Tekken 7 and Taito/Sega combined since you require a personal cabinet for all 4 players playing.

This could be mitigated if gesen owners in the United States modernised and are willing to sponsor and provide cabinets to play on. For example, Round One.

thanks for the explanation

MrDaravon

Not sure if I would see this happening?

Also nothing against the game at all (I would actually really like to play the goddamn thing) , but I don't see them running it at Evo next year on arcade boards again. Obviously not impossible since they did it last year, but last year it almost seemed like a promotional thing, it was clearly a passion project for Mark and some others, and they also ran a ridiculous amount of games last Evo.

Because it has no console release (and won't by Evo next year) the playerbase is very limited relatively speaking and is probably like 98%+ outside the US, and having another full 12 months of that only further exacerbates that issue. I know people already weren't happy last year about Japan/Asia having an "unfair" advantage on that front, add another 12 months to that and it seems ugly. Say what you will about Japan dominating other games like say Persona or Xrd, at least those are games on consoles that everyone has access to. I just don't see it happening, seems almost like a niche of a niche at that point, which really isn't a knock on the game but just the reality of the situation. If they were running 10 games again sure do it, but 7? I will give it credit for beating out KI and P4A in registrants last year (albeit barely) though, but those 3 games were the bottom 3 by a pretty wide margin, and they ran 3 more games last year than next year apparently sooo

Does Marvel deserve to be at evo simply because its the most current version of a franchise/sub genre?

It's not like they have soul calibur 5 and king of fighter xiii in the roster anymore.

Are there arena fighters in the evo lineup?
Take off the hate blinders for a moment, and look at the registration numbers.

2014:
Ultra Street Fighter IV – 1979
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – 1014
Super Smash Bros. Melee – 970
BlazBlue: Chronophantasma – 508
Killer Instinct – 338
King of Fighters XIII – 319
Injustice: Gods Among Us – 311
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 – 257

2015:
Ultra Street Fighter IV – 2227
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 1926
Super Smash Bros. Melee – 1869
Mortal Kombat X – 1162
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- – 968
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 – 816
Tekken 7 – 458
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax – 437
Killer Instinct – 397

KoF is lower than 2015's lowest game. Even if Marvel declines at the same rate as last year, it will will be 4th from the bottom. Plus, MKX will probably plummet in entries as is typical for that franchise YOY. Unless you can list 7 titles that will get more entrants than Marvel 3 this year, it should probably stay. No need to argue tradition on this one.

Shun

Not sure if I would see this happening?

Not saying that it will happen if at all, I am just saying that this is a possibility if there is enough interest and if Round One or any other Western alternative takes arcade modernising seriously.

The sponsorship and cabinets bring extra advertisement to these places that are expanding by showing potential consumers, look these are exclusive services and products that we provide.

If these exclusive games and updates have a good showing, it increases interest and business because people will move back to it.

It's really wishful thinking because I am projecting how gesen events work overseas and applying it to the west.

Dahbomb

It should be noted that the bar for how many entrants an average game gets at EVO might be raised next year again.

If your game could get 600-700 entrants a few years ago then it was a lock for EVO.

For 2016, that many entrants might net you last place and not even a guaranteed spot.

Like 2015's Marvel 3 numbers may look "low" at 800 but in 2013 it would've been the 2nd highest entrance game after SF4 and 3rd highest in 2014.

MrDaravon

2014:
Killer Instinct – 338

2015:
Mortal Kombat X – 1162
Tekken 7 – 458
Killer Instinct – 397

KoF is lower than 2015's lowest game. Even if Marvel declines at the same rate as last year, it will will be 4th from the bottom. Plus, MKX will probably plummet in entries as is typical for that franchise YOY. Unless you can list 7 titles that will get more entrants than Marvel 3 this year, it should probably stay. No need to argue tradition on this one.

Yup.

Also seeing the Melee numbers basically DOUBLE YOY is fucking crazy. Not my game at all, but those people are putting in work.

Pappasman

I hope Melee comes back. If its not there I probably won't go next year despite also playing other FGs. Its really the only one I really care about atm.

The PAL version of the game, man. It was basically a patched Melee, with actual balance changes, notably Fox and Sheik getting nerfs.

List of regional version differences (SSBM)

Ya some characters are nerfed, but I actually think PAL shiek is really awesome. I might prefer her version in PAL to NTSC.

CurlyW

I want DOA there but I know it's fucked with EVO so I won't even waste time on that.

Evo just doesn't want to run the risk of Perfect Legend winning. I know it's unlikely, but why even take the chance?

2014:
Killer Instinct – 338

2015:
Mortal Kombat X – 1162
Tekken 7 – 458
Killer Instinct – 397

Well, since you put the numbers up:

Year-Over-Year Registration Change
Melee – 92.7% increase
KI – 17.5% increase
USF4 – 12.5% increase
UMvC3 – 19.5% decrease

I'd like to scale these percentages by comparing them to the increase in total individual Evo registrants, but I don't have those numbers.

Evo Games
SFV
Smash 4
Melee
USF4
MKX
GGXrd
UMvC3
KI
T7

How are entrant numbers relevant when you want to get rid of a decade old game that netted almost twice the amount of entrants Marvel had at its peak?

jbug617

Banned
CEO jumped over Final Round to be the first big US event for SF5? Are they having problems with their venue? It's also possible it's a separate event and not CEO.
CTaSIh_XIAAQNBh.jpg

@CEOGaming: Save the Date. More info soon.

Isn't Round One a special case since the chain is actually Japanese-owned? I think it would take more than just some mom-and-pop going "hey we want Nesica cabs and are willing to fork over the cash gib pls"

Kumubou

Isn't Round One a special case since the chain is actually Japanese-owned? I think it would take more than just some mom-and-pop going "hey we want Nesica cabs and are willing to fork over the cash gib pls"
Kind of? Round 1 still needs to pay the licensing fees (which is why the have games like Beatmania IIDX and Sound Voltex but not jubeat or Reflec Beat, as the licensing for the latter two is way more expensive due to all of the J-pop and anime OP/EDs), but the only reason why the network operators even listened in the first place was because Round 1 is their single biggest customer* (and hell, a couple of games, like Groove Coaster AC and DDR 2014 got English translations for Round 1 to use in the US).

Anne

Even if we could get Nesica cabs in our arcade, we probably wouldn't. There's no reasonable market for that type of thing compared to the insane amount of money it would cost.

CurlyW

CEO (the main one) will be at the same time in 2016 as it is every year in the last week of June. Jebailey more or less said so on his Twitter last week.

This cryptic tweet is pre-announcing a Jebailey event, but it's not the big CEO.

Nightii

Banned
CEO-Trigger, a new CEO brand event with the sole purpose of beating other events at having the first major SFV tournament in the US.

Sounds about right lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom