• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evo Games
SFV
Smash 4
Melee
USF4
MKX
GGXrd
UMvC3
KI
T7

This list has me wondering, if both Melee and Smash 4 come back, which do people think will have more numbers?

Kind of? Round 1 still needs to pay the licensing fees (which is why the have games like Beatmania IIDX and Sound Voltex but not jubeat or Reflec Beat, as the licensing for the latter two is way more expensive due to all of the J-pop and anime OP/EDs), but the only reason why the network operators even listened in the first place was because Round 1 is their single biggest customer* (and hell, a couple of games, like Groove Coaster AC and DDR 2014 got English translations for Round 1 to use in the US).

What's the asterisk for?

I definitely never said that - have fun trying to twist my words to "wanting" anything.

What you don't want to acknowledge is that with your concept of outdated games, Marvel 3 and Melee should be on the same chopping block. This is Dahbomb's original post.

Also personally, I find it quite interesting that someone who would toot about the value of community insight over developer insight, citing Project Melee in one thread, would think that the original Melee shouldn't have a place at evo simply because it wasn't the newest game pushed by the developers.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
This list has me wondering, if both Melee and Smash 4 come back, which do people think will have more numbers?

Melee tends to outpace Smash 4 only in long-running, Smash-centric events. It's often the reverse case in FGC-centric events and newer tournaments.

What you don't want to acknowledge is that with your concept of outdated games, Marvel 3 and Melee should be on the same chopping block. This is Dahbomb's original post.

Also personally, I find it quite interesting that someone who would toot about the value of community insight over developer insight, citing Project Melee in one thread, would think that the original Melee shouldn't have a place at evo simply because it wasn't the newest game pushed by the developers.
I never said Melee shouldn't have a place at Evo, either. You are too desperate. Go back to making tired roster jokes.

You don't even know what I mean by "outdated". It doesn't mean "old".

Dahbomb

Damn son that's some stalker level stuff right there.

In any case what Karst is implying here is that if Melee was to be cut from EVO (as decided by the staff) he would be fine by it. He's not directly promoting that it be cut just saying that if it does get cut he wouldn't riot.

The whole "out dated" game concept was referring to games like BB/GG which get regular updates but different regions are outdated compared to others as far as versions go (like one region has 1.2 the other has 1.3 so one region is out dated). Melee/Marvel are both the latest versions of their games EVERY WHERE so they aren't the games that are actually out dated hence my slight jab at his post which he confirmed.

Tripon

Capcom Cup is less than a month. If you want to write up a profile for your favorite Street Fighter player, please PM me, so I can add it.

Otherwise, I'm going to be an Infiltration stan and just say he's the favorite to win it all.

In any case what Karst is implying here is that if Melee was to be cut from EVO (as decided by the staff) he would be fine by it. He's not directly promoting that it be cut just saying that if it does get cut he wouldn't riot.

The whole "out dated" game concept was referring to games like BB/GG which get regular updates but different regions are outdated compared to others as far as versions go (like one region has 1.2 the other has 1.3 so one region is out dated). Melee/Marvel are both the latest versions of their games EVERY WHERE so they aren't the games that are actually out dated hence my slight jab at his post which he confirmed.

Cycling between this thread and Miku's evo thread made me misinterpret your jab. Apologies Dahbomb

Kumubou

There's exactly two reasons why I could see SSBM being dropped from Evo:

1) Nintendo makes them (and this would probably come from Japan directly; the American staff seem willing to let it rock. Hell, they let Project M quasi-exist.)
2) They're dead ass out of space and need to cut people to make room for a stupidly large SF5 tournament. Might be an issue if they're stuck in hotel ballrooms again (as there's not much out there with more space than what they've already used).

What's the asterisk for?
I was originally going to add a footnote about how Dave and Busters was working on access to both e-amuse (Konami's network) and all.net (Sega's network) to pick up a couple of games (iirc they were looking at Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania IIDX, Sound Voltex and Project Diva) but I think the only one they followed through with any significance was DDR as they're currently testing it... but I then forgot about it when finishing the post.

Sayad

Capcom Cup is less than a month. If you want to write up a profile for your favorite Street Fighter player, please PM me, so I can add it.

Otherwise, I'm going to be an Infiltration stan and just say he's the favorite to win it all.
Can I write Daigo's? :D

/cockblock

2) They're dead ass out of space and need to cut people to make room for a stupidly large SF5 tournament. Might be an issue if they're stuck in hotel ballrooms again (as there's not much out there with more space than what they've already used).

I'd figure other games would get hit first. Like how Xrd didn't have a projector for their pools-semis.

Kumubou

I'd figure other games would get hit first. Like how Xrd didn't have a projector for their pools-semis.
I would imagine something like Xrd would have way more crossover with other games than SSBM would (that and Xrd had about half the playerbase Melee does). SSBM had about 20% crossover with SSB4 and any other game would be negligible. Between that and the raw numbers, dropping Melee would clear up a lot more space than dropping any other game (outside of SSB4 or SF5, and the latter is not happening for really obvious reasons).

cj_iwakura

I was originally going to add a footnote about how Dave and Busters was working on access to both e-amuse (Konami's network) and all.net (Sega's network) to pick up a couple of games (iirc they were looking at Dance Dance Revolution, Beatmania IIDX, Sound Voltex and Project Diva) but I think the only one they followed through with any significance was DDR as they're currently testing it... but I then forgot about it when finishing the post.

This would be amazing on so many levels.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
PR Rog is one of the best and arguably the best U.S player when he puts his mind it. He deserves to be in. Of course I would like to see Art in. Needs some TS representation.

Dahbomb

Cycling between this thread and Miku's evo thread made me misinterpret your jab. Apologies Dahbomb
No worries it's all good. Just having some friendly discussion here.

I think everyone here would like to see as many games as possible but when there's time to restrict the number of games to possibly less than last year then you have to make some tough choices. And everyone has their own opinion on which game they would be fine with not being at EVO.

Sixfortyfive

The only thing I don't want to see is another arcade-only game on the main line-up. That is a thinly-veiled advertisement for the game, not a competition.

It's still funny that Tekken 7 outdrew two other games last year, though.

Nightii

Banned
The only thing I don't want to see is another arcade-only game on the main line-up. That is a thinly-veiled advertisement for the game, not a competition.

It's still funny that Tekken 7 outdrew two other games last year, though.
But...these events ARE advertisement for the games, always, Arcade-only or not, it's the reason the publishers give money and help out.

As long as people are interested and play in the tourney, it's all good in my book.

Tripon

I looked over the EVO lineup thread and I was surprised at people mentioning Project M. Like that game is the antithesis of what EVO has become and will continue to be.

Maybe people think it will give that game legitimaticy if it somehow made it into the official lineup.

DunpealD

I looked over the EVO lineup thread and I was surprised at people mentioning Project M. Like that game is the antithesis of what EVO has become and will continue to be.

Maybe people think it will give that game legitimaticy if it somehow made it into the official lineup.

There is a good reason why CEO dropped Project M from it's lineup.
That project is already walking on the razors edge, considering how protective Nintendo is. The less spotlight it gets the safer this project is from being taken down. It's already surprising enough that Nintendo and others IP holders of characters like Konami haven't stepped up with a C&D yet.

Kumubou

There is a good reason why CEO dropped Project M from it's lineup.
That project is already walking on the razors edge, considering how protective Nintendo is. The less spotlight it gets the safer this project is from being taken down. It's already surprising enough that Nintendo and others IP holders of characters like Konami haven't stepped up with a C&D yet.
I thought it was a badly kept secret that anyone partnering with Nintendo or Twitch is basically on orders to pretend Project M doesn't exist.

Nintendo not killing the project doesn't surprise me, as they are actually rather lax when it comes to fan projects and derivative works (as long as there's no money involved, anyway).

petghost

Banned
sad to see everyone pretend a game that people worked really hard on doesnt exist. i hope the project m team winds up making a smash like game with original characters or something.

Sayad

Find out this weekend. He needs to win CPTAsia Finals, or needs somebody above him in points like Xhao Hai or poongko to win CPTA Finals to make it in.
Can't he qualify by points if someone who's already ahead of him in points wins Dreamhack Winter's spot?

sad to see everyone pretend a game that people worked really hard on doesnt exist. i hope the project m team winds up making a smash like game with original characters or something.

Well that's expected. Nintendo or any company would rather have its newest game getting stream views as it can make them money. There is no reason for Nintendo to like Project M from getting stream views. What money is there to make? At least Melee is their own game. Project M has nothing going for it.

Can't he qualify by points if someone who's already ahead of him in points wins Dreamhack Winter's spot?

Yeah. It's very likely he makes it into Capcom Cup because of this.

MrDaravon

So a real question that's bugged me off and on for a while now that Melee is clearly here to stay (which is fine); what's the community's plan for when CRTs eventually all die or start to become prohibitively rare? I haven't seen a new CRT available for sale at an electronics retailer locally in at least 6-7 years, and existing stock is going to start dying out at some point. I get the obvious need to run the game on CRTs, but it's always struck me as a logistical nightmare at bigger tournaments, especially ones where other games are being run. I've always been curious about this, it's kind of a unique problem.

Anne

So a real question that's bugged me off and on for a while now that Melee is clearly here to stay (which is fine); what's the community's plan for when CRTs eventually all die or start to become prohibitively rare? I haven't seen a new CRT available for sale at an electronics retailer locally in at least 6-7 years, and existing stock is going to start dying out at some point. I get the obvious need to run the game on CRTs, but it's always struck me as a logistical nightmare at bigger tournaments, especially ones where other games are being run. I've always been curious about this, it's kind of a unique problem.

Speaking from experience, they tend to horde that shit and buy up cheap ones that pop up. Our local smash guys probably have tens of them stacked up in random houses and garages.

Let me tell you a story. Once a upon a time the fighting game community loved a game called Marvel VS Capcom 2. It was a great game but the problem was the earth kept spinning and as time moves forward so did technology. Unfortunately Marvel VS Capcom 2 was played on a system called the Sega Dreamcast. Now the community loved and I mean loved the Dreamcast, but one day one man had enough it was time to embrace the future along with next gen consoles. It was time for the dream cast and MVC2 to be put to rest, and rest into pieces it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7DDsnV7Y6U

Smash will eventually reach that day.

Dahbomb

Let me tell you a story. Once a upon a time the fighting game community loved a game called Marvel VS Capcom 2. It was a great game but the problem was the earth kept spinning and as time moves forward so did technology. Unfortunately Marvel VS Capcom 2 was played on a system called the Sega Dreamcast. Now the community loved and I mean loved the Dreamcast, but one day one man had enough it was time to embrace the future along with next gen consoles. It was time for the dream cast and MVC2 to be put to rest, and rest into pieces it did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7DDsnV7Y6U

Smash will eventually reach that day.
Rest in pepperonis.

Sixfortyfive

One thing that comes close to providing a solution is Nintendont. Through the magic of homebrew, you can actually run Melee on a Wii U and use the Gamecube controller adapter to play. The whole system is still built upon Gamecube architecture and runs GCN games basically fine.

There's at least a one-frame delay though, which is disappointing. Worst thing is that it might be something that's inherent to the Wii U's Virtual Wii mode, and not something that the homebrew program adds itself.

Marz

One thing that comes close to providing a solution is Nintendont. Through the magic of homebrew, you can actually run Melee on a Wii U and use the Gamecube controller adapter to play. The whole system is still built upon Gamecube architecture and runs GCN games basically fine.

There's at least a one-frame delay though, which is disappointing. Worst thing is that it might be something that's inherent to the Wii U's Virtual Wii mode, and not something that the homebrew program adds itself.

If there's a 1 frame delay the smash community is not going to play it like that.

SamVimes

He just needed to switch to a stronger character ages ago.

Like his godlike Evil Ryu and Fei long, he doesn't play them anymore because it was just too easy for him.

Anyway if KI gets in at EVO it's some bullshit, nothing against the game but with such a low turnout the game doesn't deserve to be there.

Actually, not quite. Melee has different balance in different regions, top tier characters are noticeably weaker in PAL than in NTSC. Just watch when Fox can kill and how hilariously amazing NTSC up+B is compared to the Euro version. They just deal with it.

Sixfortyfive

Actually, not quite. Melee has different balance in different regions, top tier characters are noticeably weaker in PAL than in NTSC. Just watch when Fox can kill and how hilariously amazing NTSC up+B is compared to the Euro version. They just deal with it.

There are three distinct NTSC releases with minor gameplay differences between them, but the community doesn't seem to care enough to force the use of one of them in tournaments.

If I recall correctly, only the third version is used in netplay (via emulation), though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom