• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Feel like picking up a Marvel game to play casually with friends. Can't decide between XvSF, MvC2 or 3. Any suggestions?

UMvC3, XvSF, Xmen CotA or MSH get my vote. Heck MvC1 too.
UMvC3 is more recent and has an easy input mode for casual play.

fader

I got an interesting shower question.

Do you guys actually think that slowing down fighting games makes them noob friendly while retaining their previous audience? I always felt like the faster pace fighting games are more well received by both the casual and hardcore audience.

e.g.
MVC2 -> MVC3
Smash Melee -> Smash Wii U

Numb

Speed is barely the biggest reason. It's the basics/fundies and that's a core feature you can't easily move around. The good people will still be good and have it easy and the noobs will still be overwhelmed.Simplifying the game to a degree where it makes no difference to new players while pissing off the people that liked it already ain't good. Not always the case tho.If you wanna make something easy for new comers then go all the way.

Kalamari

Do you guys actually think that slowing down fighting games makes them noob friendly while retaining their previous audience? I always felt like the faster pace fighting games are more well received by both the casual and hardcore audience.

e.g.
MVC2 -> MVC3

Pacing of fighting games boils down to execution I think. Slower paced games can be more difficult when combo timing lacks a lot of uniformity or when there are small input buffers.

Execution is the primary obstacle to newer players, so if you can minimize that while having the faster pace that experienced players prefer, you could have a game that appeals to both audiences.

Nightii

Banned
I'm a weirdo that doesn't particularly care about a game being "so fast", hyperfrenetic combos have never been much hype for me, I say slow them down all lol.

Unfortunately for me, top tiers in most games tend to be "hype and speedy combo machines", and it is usually the one type of character most people never complain about, d'oh!

Dahbomb

e.g.
MVC2 -> MVC3
I think slowing down in certain areas is fine. Stuff like Magneto's tri jump was absolutely ridiculous in MVC2 but in MVC3 it can actually be defended against if you are good. In MVC2 an auto guard unintended mechanic made it even possible to block Magneto's offense.

In other ways slowing down the game is not very good. They increased hit stop on combos in MVC3 even after it was fine in the beta and that has resulted in combos looking even longer especially Vergil and Zero combos which have a lot of hit stop in them. That stuff kills the pace of the game but admittedly it makes combos easier to do for more people. That's something I feel most people can do without.

More speed in general (as in not just the overall pace but most animations, hitstop/blockstun duration etc) tends to result in more reads being required (since you can feasibly react to fewer things), hit confirms requiring more practice and focus during a match and the ability to overwhelm a lesser opponent even further than you could in a slower game, which are all positives in my book.

NEO0MJ

Speed is a tricky thing, and doesn't always correlate with how enjoyable a game is to control.

Is Marvel 2 really received better than Marvel 3 non competitive players?

Yeah, I'm curious about that as well. Mostly I just hear people talking about the crazy number of characters was, but Ultimate almost caught up with it.

MrDaravon

Oh man, can I now deal without having to see all of the pics/gifs other people quoted of his because the ignore function doesn't extend to quoting? Thank God. Dude is in a competition with Gootecks for who is the thirstiest. RIP Shin

petghost

Banned
man, looking at his post history... he barely said shit. he just had the wrong opinion for the wrong thread. moral culling threads are a bummer.

Numb

im sayin.. you just gotta sit back and watch the bodies drop from afar

So be me like this

Tumblr_ll9d1tKE1G1qcq2vho1_500.gif

Than this?

tumblr_ms2is1Ibyz1r1r83uo1_500.gif

Works everytime

Dahbomb

Is Marvel 2 really received better than Marvel 3 non competitive players?
No idea to be honest. That's why the question was posed.

In terms of sales, viewer count and tournament attendance MVC3 blows MVC2 out of the water but those are games from two different eras and we aren't actually talking about the empirical data.

I think both games are enjoyed well enough by casuals. I was at a local last Friday and they had a MVC2 cabinet plus MVC3 set ups. Both games were being played and enjoyed by people but the skill level was pretty low (like I am talking about people running teams like Guile/Jill/Silver Samurai or Ryu/Deadpool/MODOk). They were having a lot of fun even if they could barely complete combos or block. Lots of people watching both games were enjoying themselves too. Of course these are the same people who think that Cable shooting from a far is lame play which is what happened when I joined in.

These games look vastly different when played in casuals vs played competitively.

Rhapsody

Banned
I checked the thread. Honestly was expecting more of a graveyard. I guess those are mostly reserved for the anime/japan related topics, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom