• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

It definitely doesn't look new but it's new to Justin and Noel.
Yeah well most of the top players are usually behind in their technology (unless they discover it themselves) especially when it comes to optimized combos. Both Noel and Justin are notorious for not using optimized combos. Justin is still using really old Storm combos when there are better ones he can be doing.

I wanted to get solid at Street Fighter before V came out and now I know it's kind of fruitless. I've clocked about 80 hours since July and I don't think I've improved at all. I'm almost to the point where it's almost no fun anymore because I lose all the time. This didn't use to bother me, because I knew it was a part of getting better, but now I'm just frustrated. I'm highly considering quitting. I don't find it fun anymore.

I know that makes me a scrub.

Kalamari

I wanted to get solid at Street Fighter before V came out and now I know it's kind of fruitless. I've clocked about 80 hours since July and I don't think I've improved at all. I'm almost to the point where it's almost no fun anymore because I lose all the time. This didn't use to bother me, because I knew it was a part of getting better, but now I'm just frustrated. I'm highly considering quitting.

Don't quit, just reassess your goals. If you want to get better, focus on improvement instead of winning. If your goal is to win, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. You can still improve at fighting games by playing other fighting games. SF skills are not exclusive to SF.

I am the same way with Xrd at the moment. I've been grinding combos for about a week, but some just have awkward timing to them. But I refuse to give up, I just need to slow down and figure out what I'm doing and how to adapt. Gotta take things one step at a time.

I have set my goal for improvement. Was in training for 30 minutes before I went online to find counters to set ups I struggle with and nothing has came out of it. It just feels like a grind now without any results.

Dlent

Even for people who are good at SF4, the netcode isn't good enough for it to be fun or educational for a lot of people. Seek competition offline if possible.

Sayad

I have set my goal for improvement. Was in training for 30 minutes before I went online to find counters to set ups I struggle with and nothing has came out of it. It just feels like a grind now without any results.
If there's a huge gab between you and the people you play with then you might want to find someone closer to your level while trying to get better. Playing someone better then you is a nice way to improve faster, but it's only so if you can see why you're losing.

Remember, most people still playing the game have been doing so for years, 80 hours in for a fighting game is "still getting used to the system" for most people if they're new to the genre.

If there's a huge gab between you and the people you play with then you might want to find someone closer to your level while trying to get better. Playing someone better then you is a nice way to improve faster, but it's only so if you can see why you're losing.

Remember, most people still playing the game have been doing so for years, 80 hours in for a fighting game is "still getting used to the system" for most people if they're new to the genre.

I understand that. Most people "closer to my level" don't exist on USFIV, though. Newbies have kind of disappeared and what's left are mostly hardened vets, so i kind of have no choice.

Marz

I wanted to get solid at Street Fighter before V came out and now I know it's kind of fruitless. I've clocked about 80 hours since July and I don't think I've improved at all. I'm almost to the point where it's almost no fun anymore because I lose all the time. This didn't use to bother me, because I knew it was a part of getting better, but now I'm just frustrated. I'm highly considering quitting. I don't find it fun anymore.

I know that makes me a scrub.

About 80 hours is literally nothing in 4 months. You need to play more if possible, a lot more.

Anne

You don't have to anything crazy, it's just hard, especially at this point. Keep practicing stuff that you need until you get it, don't give up if you like it or want it.

About 80 hours is literally nothing in 4 months. You need to play more if possible, a lot more.

For the most part, I play one hour sessions. After each session I'd watch replays to see how I lost and what mistakes I made and take steps to correcting them the next time I fought.

I thought it was enough because I was learning each play session, but now I've hit a road block. I guess I'll up it to two hours a day if possible.

I understand that. Most people "closer to my level" don't exist on USFIV, though. Newbies have kind of disappeared and what's left are mostly hardened vets, so i kind of have no choice.

I actually happened to play this online today. I'm free as fuck. I was playing mostly people who, just like me, had no idea what the fuck they were doing.

About 80 hours is literally nothing

If you put 80 hours into something and don't have a handle on what you're doing, something's terribly wrong

For the most part, I play one hour sessions. After each session I'd watch replays to see how I lost and what mistakes I made and take steps to correcting them the next time I fought.

I thought it was enough because I was learning each play session, but now I've hit a road block. I guess I'll up it to two hours a day if possible.

It sounds like you've made some improvements since you've first started, so maybe you should readjust your goals for your current level. If looking at why you lost isn't getting the job done, maybe also try looking for why you didn't win. How often do you look at videos of people better than you and take note of what they're doing? That could also be useful

CTmdsK5UsAAObcL.jpg

that's how I felt trying to learn XRD

Looks like Infil and I hope it's him. He's been deserving a sponsor for too damn long now.

It also depends on who you are playing. It took me 2 full months, with 3000 matches under my belt already, to learn Mewtwo. It took a few weeks to learn Bowser right when the game launched, in comparison.

Pfffff, plenty of new players playing that game.
He came in pretty late, though.

Numb

25 nerfs to Ryu vid.
Still shocking.
Can't see buffs being nearly as much as nerfs in the future.
Also un-nerf Mika booty shot man

Pfffff, plenty of new players playing that game.

didn't really feel like that whenever I'd play online lol. Might run into the occasional Sol that's my level but apart from that I got bopped consistently.

25 nerfs to Ryu vid.
Still shocking.
Can't see buffs being nearly as much as nerfs in the future.
Also un-nerf Mika booty shot man

Shamelessly stolen from EH

Cr.lk not cancelable anymore
F+mp damage decrease to 60
F+hp damage decrease to 90
Ex tastu damage decrease to 140
Air Ex tastu damage decrease to 160 from 200
Ex tastu into Ex Dp doesn't work anymore
B+Hk hitstun decrease can't even combo into st.mp
Jump m. punch,Air ex tastu into Ex Dp can't combo anymore
2x jump mp won't work anymore
V-trigger hadoken damage decrease to 70
Neutral Jump tastu no longer possible
All version of DP *Except Ex* on later active frames damage will be 60
Lk. tatsu doesn't combo into EX DP in the corner
Meaty overhead doesn't combo anymore
Ryu can't combo into cr. HK
backward air tatsu not possible anymore
f. HP into 2x st. MP doesn't work, you can only hit st. MP once now
All Axe kick combos are not possible anymore except for st. LK
Ex Dp first hit range decrease
st.mk damage decrease slightly
neutral jump HK doesn't combo into st. MP cr. HP anymore, you have to use neutral jump MK now in order to combo
Stun on his SP has been decreased

By Izick srk forums

F+mp damage decrease to 60
F+hp damage decrease to 90
St.hk damage decrease to 80
St.mk damage decrease to 60
St.lp damage decrease to 30 from 40
St.hp damage decrease to 90 from 100
St.lk damage decrease to 30 from 40
St.mk damage decrease to 60 from 70
St.hk damage decrease to 90 from 110
B+hk damage decrease to 80 from 100
Alot stun reduction from fierce attacks.

Ex tastu damage decrease to 140
Air Ex tastu damage decrease to 160 from 200
H DP damage decrease to 140 from 150
L tastu damage decrease to 80 from 100
M tastu damage decrease to 100 from 120
H tastu damage decrease to 120 from 130
Both CA doesn't hard knockdown anymore
st.hk crush counter into F+HP doesn't combo.
All version of DP *Except Ex* on later active frames damage will be 60 when anti airing
St.lp blk advantage decrease to +2 from +3
St.mp blk advantage decrease to +1 from +2
St.lk hit/blk advantage decrease to -1,-1 from +2,0
St.hk blk advantage decrease to -1 from 1
cr.mk Hit/blk advantage decrease to 0,-4 from 2,-2
Cr.Hk blk advantage decrease to -11 from -7
F+Mp Hit/blk advantage decrease to 1,-6 from +2,-3
f+hp blk advantage decrease to +5.-2 from +6,-1
B+hk hit advantage decrease to +4 from +7
M tastu doesn't hit crouchers, travels slower and less distance
Cr.lk not cancelable
Jump m punch, tastu *not whiff*, Ex Dp no longer works
Cr.hk startup increase to 7 from 6 now St.mp, Cr.hk doesn't combo
St.hk startup increase to 10 from 9
Cr.lp startup increase to 4 from 3
F+Mp startup increase to 20 from 18
L tastu into Ex Dp doesn't work
Ex tastu into Ex hado doesn't work
Ex tastu into Ex Dp doesn't work anymore
Jump m punch,Air ex tastu into Ex Dp can't seem to combo anymore
Jump m punch juggle potential decrease can't do jump m punch x2 into air tastu
Neutral Jump tastu no longer possible

2846638-6228875380-micha.gif

Does anyone have a good resource or advice for the Evil Ryu vs. Dictator in USFIV? I really struggle in this match even against opponents I can beat when they use any other character. I think the fact that Scissors is airborne really fucks me up because it makes cr. forward super dangerous and because the Light Scissors is safe and st. RH is godlike I just eat pressure.

For what it's worth:

The past few weeks I've been playing Ryu only.

I've been told if you can get good with Ryu, you will get good with SF and most fighting games period as he is the core building block.

So I've been playing Ryu only the past month to better understand the game.

So last night I picked my regular non-Ryu main (Poison) and former main (Cammy) and beat two people I've been having trouble beating with them both in a big way. They were the first time playing those characters in at least a month and a half to apply what I learned as Ryu.

Went back to Ryu and lost. Heh.

For what it's worth:

I've been told if you can get good with Ryu, you will get good with SF and most fighting games period as he is the core building block.

So last night I picked my regular non-Ryu main (Poison) and former main (Cammy) and beat two people I've been having trouble beating with them both in a big way. They were the first time playing those characters in at least a month in a half to apply what I learned as Ryu.

You should upload some replays of losses and post them or you can PM me them. I’m not amazing but I’ve been improving a lot recently through watching my replays back and getting better at fundamental SF. I would be happy to take a look and see what you might be doing wrong with Ryu because I totally agree that when learning the game you should play Ryu for a little while before moving on to a more complex character – although I do play Evil Ryu and Ryu so that could be why I think that.

For what it's worth:

So last night I picked my regular non-Ryu main (Poison) and former main (Cammy) and beat two people I've been having trouble beating with them both in a big way. They were the first time playing those characters in at least a month and a half to apply what I learned as Ryu.

Everyone knows how to play against the ordinary guy

Sayad

No, every learners guide says to start with Ryu. Every character is based around as a foil to that character.

I'll be open and send replays.
Ryu is a fundamental based character, he's good to learn the game with if you want to learn footsies and spacing. That doesn't mean he's the easiest to win with though, on the contrary, he's one of the more honest characters in the game and every one know how to fight him.

Ryu is a fundamental based character, he's good to learn the game with if you want to learn footsies and spacing. That doesn't mean he's the easiest to win with though, on the contrary, he's one of the more honest characters in the game and every one know how to fight him.

Definitely doesn't mean he's easy to use.

I meant win when I said use. He's easy to use but there's a thin line between easy to use and everyone knows how to fight against him so he's not easy to win with.

Anne

Ryu is fundamental based but you really don't have to play him to learn fundamentals and how to play the game. Sometimes you just aren't and won't get comfy/good with characters like him, so it can be more worth your time to just play somebody you like more.

Screw "starter" characters worst advice ever

Basically. The only reason a starter character ever comes up is cause stuff like execution and basic gameplan. If you already know how all that goes then the roster is open/.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom