• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckx

I agree if you have played fighting games before and you're just getting into SFIV but if it is the first time you've ever played a fighting game then characters like Ryu are a must, if only for a little while.

I kinda disagree with that. Play the character you think is cool and fun. Unless you have weird proprioception issues (I do) that will force you toward a certain type of character. (I don't play Bison because I like him, I play him because it's harder to fuck up c.lk, c.lk, scissors or just s.hk).

just find a character you like for whatever reason and plug away. Its a lot more fun that way and a lot easier to get over hurdles when you arent stressing and forcing yourself on some specific improvement path. Playing characters you like goes a long way to preventing burnout

Anne

I agree if you have played fighting games before and you're just getting into SFIV but if it is the first time you've ever played a fighting game then characters like Ryu are a must, if only for a little while.

Nah, plenty of people start with whoever in whatever and learn fine. I bet a lot of people in this thread (myself included) have never seriously picked a shoto or main character even. Its kind of a new player trap to think "I need to learn the right way" when there's a lot of different ways to do it, everybody is different. You sound like you're doing lots of good things but don't be afraid to loosen up.

Just need one that i can churn butter with.
Ease of use does matter too sometimes.
My strategy for picking a character goes like this

If game has a story mode
1) Play through story
2) Pick favorite character from story mode
3) play arcade a few times with that character to see if they click at all
4) if they stick, then go start learning more with them, if they dont click then pick next favorite and go back to arcade

This has worked well for me for finding characters I like that are fun to me. Landed on Noel first try in Blazblue, and Marie second try in persona (I couldnt play as Naoto)

If the game doesnt have a story mode, then I just pick based on arcade mode spamming. This usually takes me a few more tries, like landing on Chipp in guilty gear XX(before I started caring about story). This would be my recommendation for most people though, just play a few times through arcade mode with as many characters as you feel like until you find one you enjoy playing and stick with them. Learning fundamentals will come naturally regardless of what character you play, maybe slower then playing the standard expected character, but you will learn, and have more fun doing so.

Horseress

Anybody got a feeling Dieminion will beat Daigo at Capcom Cup?

I feel if Dieminion really does his homework, he could pull it off.

It's definitely the first round match I'm most expecting, both are known for putting work on their rivals. Daigo has played Guile before, so he probably knows the match up, but Dieminion will probably watch every Daigo video he possible can till their match, so yeah, for me it's
more than
a 50/50

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
100% agreed, but I'd like to hear your reasons and see if they differ from my own.
I have multiple reasons.

1. People tend to want to play a character they think is cool so "starter" characters can sap a person's will to play and get enjoyment from a game.

2. Fighting games are not cut and dry simple rarely will any character carry over to another character at all properly. You can argue "but footsies!" But learning Ryu footsies doesn't teach you zangief footsies. Learning sol badguy footsies doesn't teach you millia footsies. The list goes on.

3. It creates bad habits. This one isn't common but typically now that they moved onto a character they liked they now lost their "jack of all trades" toolset, now they have to unlearn all the moments those tools were good for and learn a new tool set from scratch anyways. " Ryu's fireball is good so I used it a lot, but now that I use Sakura I have a fireball but it works weird and I get punished more!"

4.it destroys the desire to grow and play who they wanted to in the first place. "I'm finally getting solid wins with Ryu let me try cammy... nope I lose instantly this is no fun I'm gonna stick with ryu!"

tldr;
People generally hate learning how to play dont make it take 3x longer for them

just find a character you like for whatever reason and plug away. Its a lot more fun that way and a lot easier to get over hurdles when you arent stressing and forcing yourself on some specific improvement path. Playing characters you like goes a long way to preventing burnout

If you're new to fighting games I don't agree. The most important aspect to improve on, as a beginner player, is your active thinking.

Players starting fighting games tend to rely on the easiest, most effective move and auto pilot. Like anyone with a slide in street fighter for instance.

If you're new to fighting games I don't agree. The most important aspect to improve on, as a beginner player, is your active thinking.

Players starting fighting games tend to rely on the easiest, most effective move and auto pilot. Like anyone with a slide in street fighter for instance.

It doesn't help that many experienced players when asked about characters for beginners will often recommend those that let people get wins at a low level despite their shortcomings as players ("just pick X and do Y doesn't matter if you suck, shit works to some extent") rather than tell them about what they should focus on to actually improve.

Numb

My strategy for picking a character goes like this

If game has a story mode
1) Play through story
2) Pick favorite character from story mode
3) play arcade a few times with that character to see if they click at all
4) if they stick, then go start learning more with them, if they dont click then pick next favorite and go back to arcade

This has worked well for me for finding characters I like that are fun to me. Landed on Noel first try in Blazblue, and Marie second try in persona (I couldnt play as Naoto)
Fighting game story? Never do this usually to decide but my thought process isn't much complicated.
Grappler,boss or bruce lee clone.
One of those will work. Atleast to start things off and might drift later.

For the record, I've been a fighting game fan my whole life since SFII.

However, as an only child, and friends who weren't into fighters, I didn't get the opportunity to fight people often. And when I did I lost. So I never really got good.

So I would just stick to arcade mode and modes like SFA3's world tour mode. I got a lot of fun out of it but since it's fighting AI it doesn't mean much.

But with online play, I can now fight someone around the world and now I'm taking the game more seriously.

So I'm not new to fighters. I'm new to taking them seriously. These days I only play matches against humans.

C. Viper is the only black female fighter character I can think of.

I would have considered Vanessa from VF, but they've whitened her.

It sucks because I want to use Viper cuz she's a black girl but I don't like playing as her.

UPM110.rev_sf4.small_cvip(2)--article_image.jpg

crimson-viper-street-fighter-4.jpg

She looks black as fuck.

Even if she's not black, she sure as hell doesn't look white.

I mean.. if Elena was that shade I probably wouldn't have won any money this year from tournaments ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nah im kidding, always choose capoeira

Pompadour

She doesn't look like Angelina to me, and Viper's skin tone definitely isn't white. She always looked like a light-skinned black girl to me.

I pegged her as Angelina Jolie as well. I didn't think she was white, regardless, but rather Hispanic.

Race doesn't make sense in Street Fighter, anyway. Balrog has baby blue eyes, after all.

I have multiple reasons.

1. People tend to want to play a character they think is cool so "starter" characters can sap a person's will to play and get enjoyment from a game.

2. Fighting games are not cut and dry simple rarely will any character carry over to another character at all properly. You can argue "but footsies!" But learning Ryu footsies doesn't teach you zangief footsies. Learning sol badguy footsies doesn't teach you millia footsies. The list goes on.

3. It creates bad habits. This one isn't common but typically now that they moved onto a character they liked they now lost their "jack of all trades" toolset, now they have to unlearn all the moments those tools were good for and learn a new tool set from scratch anyways. " Ryu's fireball is good so I used it a lot, but now that I use Sakura I have a fireball but it works weird and I get punished more!"

4.it destroys the desire to grow and play who they wanted to in the first place. "I'm finally getting solid wins with Ryu let me try cammy... nope I lose instantly this is no fun I'm gonna stick with ryu!"

tldr;
People generally hate learning how to play dont make it take 3x longer for them
That's a great list. We should add it to the SFV OP when the game comes out.

Numb

She doesn't look like Angelina to me, and Viper's skin tone definitely isn't white. She always looked like a light-skinned black girl to me.
Don't know how to feel.
I mean.. if Elena was that shade I probably wouldn't have won any money this year from tournaments ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

nah im kidding, always choose capoeira

Love everything about her except the capo part.
Ramlethal's black.
Ganguro or ambiguous not as rare.
Also lots and lots of white hair and never understood it.

BadWolf

Viper always looked white to me.

And she definitely does in the SFIV anime, and so does her kid.

Her design feels like Vanessa (KoF) x Angelina Jolie.

Pompadour

Seems inconsistent though, varies by who draws him?

Yeah, it does, but more recently he's been drawn with blue eyes along with a lot of characters that you wouldn't typically expect to have blue eyes. I think Capcom thinks "blue eyes" is just shorthand for "this character is Western."

Black characters with white hair drive me crazy. I would kill for a black female character in a fighter who rocks a fucking wash and go like me. I could cosplay as her.

Love everything about her except the capo part.
Ganguro or ambiguous not as rare.
Also lots and lots of white hair and never understood it.
Ram doesnt seem very ambiguous to me, but maybe I'm a little too used to the shine added to the art style.

I hate how the lightened lisa in DOA5, though at least its not as bad as it originally (previews) was. Shes still at least black

Yeah, it does, but more recently he's been drawn with blue eyes along with a lot of characters that you wouldn't typically expect to have blue eyes. I think Capcom thinks "blue eyes" is just shorthand for "this character is Western."

Elena's got blue eyes too hmm

There's a kendrick song somewhere about this

Clawww

I definitely think people should just play who they like when learning a new fighter. outside of the extremely technical characters that might be too cumbersome for players new to fighting games. (with SFV, it doesn't seem like anyone is built in that way in terms of complex inputs at least). I learned fighting games on SFIV using Vega, it was fine. I knew I liked the character and wanted to win and improve with him, and understood that there might be more of a learning curve/burden, but if you're serious about playing a fighting game you have to anticipate putting in some effort anyways, so it might as well be on someone you like.

core fundamentals and good play/habits can be learned on any character, anyways. you still need to block and AA and make reads no matter who you're playing. any beginner in SF is probably gonna run into tons of ryu's if they play onlineanyways, so they'll come to understand the basic shoto gameplan regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom