• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
25 nerfs to Ryu vid.
Still shocking.
Can't see buffs being nearly as much as nerfs in the future.
Also un-nerf Mika booty shot man

y6uO1ei.png

Does anyone have a good resource or advice for the Evil Ryu vs. Dictator in USFIV? I really struggle in this match even against opponents I can beat when they use any other character. I think the fact that Scissors is airborne really fucks me up because it makes cr. forward super dangerous and because the Light Scissors is safe and st. RH is godlike I just eat pressure.

st.mp.

You should upload some replays of losses and post them or you can PM me them. I’m not amazing but I’ve been improving a lot recently through watching my replays back and getting better at fundamental SF. I would be happy to take a look and see what you might be doing wrong with Ryu because I totally agree that when learning the game you should play Ryu for a little while before moving on to a more complex character – although I do play Evil Ryu and Ryu so that could be why I think that.

Just play who you want to, but focus on applying the fundamentals and thinking about what your opponent is doing.

There is absolutely no sense in playing a character or game that only frustrates you because you feel you should. What you should do is find something that feels fun and play that. A want to learn comes from having fun. Rapid improvement comesn from obsession, and obsession comes from having fun. So have fun, and think about what the opponent is doing*. (*Requirement: Opponents that think or have otherwise settled onto an autopilot pattern that makes some kind of sense).

If you want to stick with a shoto, at least play Ken or Evil Ryu. They have a walkspeed instead of having concrete boxes for shoes so you can have fun moving around, have more fun buttons to play with, and just generally play more to the game's ethos of standing mixups and converting pokes into combos than Ryu does. Same fundamental focus, but more fun and a gameplan better suited for the game and engine.

Nah, plenty of people start with whoever in whatever and learn fine. I bet a lot of people in this thread (myself included) have never seriously picked a shoto or main character even. Its kind of a new player trap to think "I need to learn the right way" when there's a lot of different ways to do it, everybody is different. You sound like you're doing lots of good things but don't be afraid to loosen up.

I started #Reload with Eddie.
#notagoodidea

My strategy for picking a character goes like this

1. Find tier list.
2. Work down the list until something clicks.
3. If list doesn't exist, try to find a character with good buttons and a straightforward/organic but good mixup game. The more mobile the better. Good mobility may override good buttons.

Shouta

A jack of all trade characters is a great starting character if and only if:

A) You're totally new to fighting games and have no idea of what the tools and spacing do.
B) Have the ability to apply the concepts learned there to characters with different attributes
C) Are willing to take Ls while you're learning.

Miss any one of those and Ryu is really no bueno, lol.

vulva

So they are nerfing the shit out of everyone to buff them when the game is out
david-james-nodding.gif

They're not nerfing shit you mook. The game's in development so they're testing to see what the release product will be. If you're smart enough to know how to type a message then you should be smart enough to figure out what "in development" means.

pattheflip

Neo Member
According to NPD Group data (which I take with a grain of salt, but whatever), MKX is the #1 game of the year (in terms of # of sales): http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ame-of-2015-far-us-warner-bros-top-publisher/

That plus >1k entries at EVO means it did pretty good overall IMO. From a competitive player standpoint, it still shows up at majors, so I'd hardly call it a flop. A flop is like, Capcom Fighting Evolution. We pulled that shit out of the arcade after a couple weeks and replaced it with A3.

notworksafe

They're not nerfing shit you mook. The game's in development so they're testing to see what the release product will be. If you're smart enough to know how to type a message then you should be smart enough to figure out what "in development" means.

fighting game players are too dumb to deserve betas

According to NPD Group data (which I take with a grain of salt, but whatever), MKX is the #1 game of the year (in terms of # of sales): http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...ame-of-2015-far-us-warner-bros-top-publisher/

That plus >1k entries at EVO means it did pretty good overall IMO. From a competitive player standpoint, it still shows up at majors, so I'd hardly call it a flop. A flop is like, Capcom Fighting Evolution. We pulled that shit out of the arcade after a couple weeks and replaced it with A3.

Yea you're right. It just felt like the players for it were slowly withering away. The turnout for MKX at Canada Cup looked kinda small.

and vulva pls chill

jerry1594

I'm a mook? What's a mook?

kirblar

James Chen ‏@jchensor 52m52 minutes ago

@thisislijoe ...that they might be trying too hard to appease the casual Star Wars fans, and that COULD be dangerous.
Apparently they're reducing execution requirements in SWVII too.

Dahbomb

Are people really dumb enough to think something in development can have nerfs? It amazes me how stupid people are sometimes.

Nah, I'm actually rational and reasonable. Not the same tbh

If you can post on a website that requires an email, you can learn how to use google.

I said god damn.

Are people really dumb enough to think something in development can have nerfs? It amazes me how stupid people are sometimes.

If you can post on a website that requires an email, you can learn how to use google.

giphy.gif

Shouta

You can make the argument either way. It depends on the base you're viewing it from. If it's from one version of a character to another then it's a nerf. If we're talking about official release, then anything right now isn't a nerf but simply a change.

We should be less concerned about terminology and more about them possibly making the release versions of the characters less interesting though. If everyone ends up like the version of Laura we had in that mini-test...

vulva

You can make the argument either way. It depends on the base you're viewing it from. If it's from one version of a character to another then it's a nerf. If we're talking about official release, then anything right now isn't a nerf but simply a change.

We should be less concerned about terminology and more about them possibly making the release versions of the characters less interesting though. If everyone ends up like the version of Laura we had in that mini-test...

While I agree we should care about how interesting the characters are, we also need to realize that even with playing others this early on it basically is working as a slightly more robust training mode. People haven't really developed strategy around how the characters will work in various settings beyond a few theoretical ideas.

As an example, it wasn't until awhile in to SF4 that people started using specific normals to low profile other attacks etc. A move of any sort that may seem useless or odd now might end up being applicable in a totally unapparent way down the line.

Furthermore people are making very bizarre jumps that version B being slightly different from version A from the beta means the character is less interesting only because you can't do the same thing as before. These things take time to really flesh out a character and learn how far their depth really goes. We won't know that over a weekend. We may not know until a couple years in. To make definitive decisions like people are is just ridiculous.
Damn, it's like
top: jokes
bottom: you guys

tbh jokes work best when funny

Capcom has been completely transparent that this is a beta people can play on occasion and isn't even close to an official release. Everyone complaining about nerfs just looks ridiculous because they're complaining about something that technically doesn't even exist yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom