• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joule

JBSujj1.gif

Any news about the anime? Manga was discontinued like a week or so after announcing the anime.

Sales and publication of the series has restarted since end of August but there's been no word about the anime.

im praying they don't update USF4 again because Elena is gonna get struck down by Thor's
nerf
Hammer.

on the other hand.. deejay might get buffed
who am i kidding

I get my first fight pad today.

How am I supposed to hold one of these things? Piano style, flat on my thight like a stick or like a regular game controller?

I get my first fight pad today.

How am I supposed to hold one of these things? Piano style, flat on my thight like a stick or like a regular game controller?

You can hold it regularly...

However, claw-style is useful (use your index and middle fingers) to press multiple buttons at once, arguably the entire point of a 6-button pad. Players who play this way will often use their thigh as a brace if they press buttons fiercely.

You can hold it regularly...

However, claw-style is useful (use your index and middle fingers) to press multiple buttons at once, arguably the entire point of a 6-button pad. Players who play this way will often use their thigh as a brace if they press buttons fiercely.

I figured as much. This will take getting used to.

pattheflip

Neo Member
Looked at the different fighting games besides USFIV being played now and I don't find any of them appealing except KOF13.

I like SF's balance of offense and defense. Footsies, trapping people with them. Some of these other games have them, like Tekken Tag 2 or GG Xrd in a way, but it's just too offensive and combo-oriented for me. The combos go on forever in these matches, and that seems to be the main purpose than the SF formula. Also, a lot of them I find are way too frantic.

I'm trying pick a secondary fighting game and not sure what to do. They just don't look as fun as SF to me.

Maybe I'm just being a stickler and need to dive in? I dunno.

I will also recommend Rising Thunder, but I'm biased because I work on the game ;P I do think it's a great followup for anyone used to SF4.

Some other non-biased recs:

Guilty Gear is one of those games you could play for your whole life and still feel like you're inadequate. It's a 2D fighter for people who love 2D fighters; it's also too much game for most people to handle. If you were around FGs at all during VF4: Evo, you would hear a lot of people saying shit like "Man, I should start playing VF4" the way people usually say "Man, I need to start going to the gym". I've been playing GG off and on since GGXX in 2003ish and I still don't feel like I've wrapped my head around that game. GG is great if you accept that you're in it for the long haul.

If you're willing to go back in time, try dusting off some older fighting games via Fightcade or other emulators/console ports. Play some Super Turbo, some Garou: Mark of the Wolves, some Last Blade 2, etc. There's a lot of great stuff in there, and it's kind of neat to dig into an old game and take it at your own pace.

petran79

Banned
I will also recommend Rising Thunder, but I'm biased because I work on the game ;P I do think it's a great followup for anyone used to SF4.

Some other non-biased recs:

Guilty Gear is one of those games you could play for your whole life and still feel like you're inadequate. It's a 2D fighter for people who love 2D fighters; it's also too much game for most people to handle. If you were around FGs at all during VF4: Evo, you would hear a lot of people saying shit like "Man, I should start playing VF4" the way people usually say "Man, I need to start going to the gym". I've been playing GG off and on since GGXX in 2003ish and I still don't feel like I've wrapped my head around that game. GG is great if you accept that you're in it for the long haul.

If you're willing to go back in time, try dusting off some older fighting games via Fightcade or other emulators/console ports. Play some Super Turbo, some Garou: Mark of the Wolves, some Last Blade 2, etc. There's a lot of great stuff in there, and it's kind of neat to dig into an old game and take it at your own pace.

For ground game, I find KOF games more difficult than GG. You have to focus on 5 different player matchups every round and it is a much faster game. Every combo requires strict training. Game is for advanced players. While other SNK fighting games allow you to do small combos adlib, here you have to follow specific guides and timing. I play that game mostly like SF2.

One thing I don't really like about fightcade or old GGPO (rip) is that there isn't a rotating lobby like most full release fighting games have. I know it'd be crazy to implement and nobody who runs these things makes enough of a profit to justify making a client for that, but while it's nice to play someone in a 45 minute set sometimes I want a 5 minute break to think about stuff while someone else plays, or play different people for a while. If someone could make a "virtual arcade" (like how the arcsys games design their multiplayer browsing UI) I would probably be in the old game vortext forever.

I haven't paid any attention to FGC majors the last few months, but last night I couldn't sleep so I watched the CPT Asia qualifier thing.

Anyways my question is everyone seems to know what they were doing and from the last time I watched pools for American majors all I remember was it was a shit show. Drop combos, sloppy play all around, but this Asia major was clean as fuck (or the small portion that I ended up watching).

So is America just complete ass or is everyone just clean as fuck now including us, and I just haven't been watching. Obviously pros will be pros but just talking about random pool matches.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

I've actually heard lots of GG players make this comparison. I find VF to be a very rewarding venture.

But I also go to the gym 5 days a week, so do what you gotta do.

Vice

I haven't paid any attention to FGC majors the last few months, but last night I couldn't sleep so I watched the CPT Asia qualifier thing.

Anyways my question is everyone seems to know what they were doing and from the last time I watched pools for American majors all I remember was it was a shit show. Drop combos, sloppy play all around, but this Asia major was clean as fuck (or the small portion that I ended up watching).

So is America just complete ass or is everyone just clean as fuck now including us, and I just haven't been watching.
The one last night had a higher quality of play than most majors due to its qualifier status. There's usually still some slop at most majors though.

mbpm1

So is America just complete ass or is everyone just clean as fuck now including us, and I just haven't been watching. Obviously pros will be pros but just talking about random pool matches.

I saw a fair amount of slop too though so idk

Anne

GG isn't that hard I think, it just requires a different mindset. The initial curve is a bit rough but once you're over it things are fine. We had a local SF4 player go from not being able to even move in the game to doing optimal combos and playing well in a month. P sure if he sticks with it he'll be able to play and understand just fine soon enough.

What if he's Deejay tier?
At worst he'll be Ike tier, which isn't bad since Ike is usable in Sm4sh and isn't even the worst FE character in the game (that goes to Robin). Plus he's got a projectile, which automatically makes him better than Ike...sadly. :(
GOAT Jrpg, so you should.

The only good things about FFX were the battle system, and Yuna falling on her fat face when Tidus disappeared.

NEO0MJ

Kinda strange how Robin is still considered the weakest FE character, even though he got nothing but buffs.

What about Ness and Greninja? Those are the two I tended to Gravitate towards.

Ness is super strong, and has what is probaly the best kill grab in the game. Greninja used to be strong as well but got nerfed. Not sure where he stands now.

Nightii

Banned
Ehh I dunno, Robin has been buffed quite a bit in the last few patches, and she has pretty safe aerials thanks to the shieldstun changes, she won't set the world on fire, but I wouldn't call her the worst Fire Emblem character.

I mean, Lucina is still there, yo.

Thulius

What about Ness and Greninja? Those are the two I tended to Gravitate towards.

Ness is super strong, and has what is probaly the best kill grab in the game. Greninja used to be strong as well but got nerfed. Not sure where he stands now.

Greninja's solid. Not quite top tier material but he's gotten a lot of good buffs since launch. His OoS punishes were already trash so the shieldstun changes last patch helped him a lot.

Nightii

Banned
Has there been a case in other fighting games like Greninja's? I mean, one patch of nerfs and suddenly there is a meme that made people not realize the character is far from garbage and has actually been getting slight buffs too, it's just weird for me.

mbpm1

Maybe it was just the segment that I ended up watching, but I just thinking I have no clue who the fuck these guys are and yet I bet they can crack top 64/32/16 at any U.S major.

From what I saw it was kinda like watching a good weekly. Some quite top guys who would be indeed established at a US Major, but the rest were just okay.

Anne

Has there been a case in other fighting games like Greninja's? I mean, one patch of nerfs and suddenly there is a meme that made people not realize the character is far from garbage and has actually been getting slight buffs too, it's just weird for me.

Yeah, it's actually really common. Look at Dee Jay.

MrDaravon

Man, I really need to give Smash 4 another serious go. I dropped like ~120 hours into it, but I never, ever felt like I got the movement down if that makes any sense? It's my first smash game pretty much, but I went through every character in the cast for periods of time and I just never could get a feel for the movement; it feels almost loose like my inputs are delayed or something. It's very clearly an issue on my end, I don't know if I was just approaching it wrong or I'm to used to more traditional 2D fighter movement or what. Still really irks me and I could never figure out how to get over that hump, always felt like I was fighting with it for control. Really weird.

I asked around a few different places and no one really had this problem or had any advice for me other than to stick with it lol. Also sucks in that I have a good friend who is pretty serious about the game and we'd like to play online together in doubles, but we can't because Nintendo.

I'm so out of the loop of Smash patches, is it because of universal changes or character specific and what is "OoS "?

Yeah I like Ness's bat smash and that back throw. Still terrible with that tracking shot.
Greninja has a kinda teleport and nice projectile.

Nightii

Banned
I'm so out of the loop of Smash patches, is it because of universal changes or character specific and what is "OoS "?
The Greninja mindset? it was because of specific nerfs he/she got in the very first patch, it made people think he/she got ruined, thus the "Better nerf Greninja!" meme.

OoS means Out of Shield, which is used to refer to using a move inmediately after blocking an attack, some moves (due to frame data and whatnot) work great in those situations, the best example being Ryu's Shoryuken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom