• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
My man knows whats up with that CAVE bullethell goodness right there. This and Mushihimesama Futari are probably THE MOST popular and played bullethells from Cave. Okay so Espgaluda 2 not one, but still props to putting out some footage of this gem.
Essentially instead of bombs you got a "guard barrier". Idea is raise the multiplier for gold with shots and use Guard Barrier at the expense of Gems to cash out, slow bullets and kill stuff for score. The longer you hold the Guard Barrier button the more damage that attack will do, but the more it'll drain the gems meaning the further you will have to work to raise it up again.

Great score attack title. And the manually induced slowdown is really useful on some patterns when learning stages making it fast to pickup.

Anne

We have an Espgaluda cab at our arcade actually. I learned how to 1CC it by playing it there, really good game.

Also, if you let bullet time run completely out all the shots get mega fast, but the longer you stay like that, the faster you can regain gems :p The way bullet time works is the longer you're in it and the more things you kill, the more gems it costs, but everything you kill while in bullet time gives you multipliers. Every bullet on the screen produced by the thing you kill gives you those too, so you try to let the screen fill with shit then blow it all up. Whenever bullet time ends, the multipliers reset so you have to really squeeze as many points out of a go at it as you can.

shaowebb

We have an Espgaluda cab at our arcade actually. I learned how to 1CC it by playing it there, really good game.

Also, if you let bullet time run completely out all the shots get mega fast, but the longer you stay like that, the faster you can regain gems :p The way bullet time works is the longer you're in it and the more things you kill, the more gems it costs, but everything you kill while in bullet time gives you multipliers. Every bullet on the screen produced by the thing you kill gives you those too, so you try to let the screen fill with shit then blow it all up. Whenever bullet time ends, the multipliers reset so you have to really squeeze as many points out of a go at it as you can.

Sweet! Espgaluda 2 was region free, but was Espgaluda? The Cave titles I rocked the longest were actually Pink Sweets, Deathsmiles 2x and Akai Katana...and Pink Sweets makes NO SENSE considering how easy it is to score the other two compared to Pink Sweets which is a labyrinth of obscure systems and tricks lol. Guess now I'm needing to rock Mushihimesama more though since its on Steam.

God damn do I love shmups <3

Fun fact...there are TOUHOU fighting games and they are large part shooty.
This one I believe is part of the main series canon and might have been the bullethell series first foray into fighters

And here is Urban Legend in Limbo which is a FAR better new installment in the official canon

Coda

Sweet! Espgaluda 2 was region free, but was Espgaluda? The Cave titles I rocked the longest were actually Pink Sweets, Deathsmiles 2x and Akai Katana...and Pink Sweets makes NO SENSE considering how easy it is to score the other two compared to Pink Sweets which is a labyrinth of obscure systems and tricks lol. Guess now I'm needing to rock Mushihimesama more though since its on Steam.

God damn do I love shmups <3

Fun fact...there are TOUHOU fighting games and they are large part shooty.
This one I believe is part of the main series canon

And here is Urban Legend in Limbo which is a FAR better new installment in the official canon

The Espgaluda port for PS2 is fantastic, can run in 240p in Tate mode and is practically arcade perfect. It is not region free but I play it on my American PS2 with a Slide Magic disc and tool.

Anne

I have no idea about region stuff with Espgaluda since I play it on arcade hardware :p

Also the newest Touhou fighter isn't considered to be good from the people I know who play those types of games. A lot of the ones I know prefer IaMP to Soku still too.

Anne

Really? The few Touhou fanatics I've known were cool with it. They preferred 10.5 Scarlet Weather Rhapsody the most though

Yeah that's soku. A lot of the more proficient IaMP players I know weren't huge fans, especially of weather stuff.

That's so dumb. It's not like she had huge damage in the first place. That character was not a problem at all. Poor Yuzu mains

About this, she still has damage and oki, but she can't get them as consistently as before, and she can't get them at the same time. The oki itself is a bit weaker too, she had a couple bonkers things before. She's still playable but def weaker.

petghost

Banned
those touhou games have some pretty fresh ideas. they make me wonder how this genre of games will evolve. do you think fighting games have seen as much mechanical development and diversity as other genres? im asking cuz i dont really know a lot about other genres...

Yeah that's soku. A lot of the more proficient IaMP players I know weren't huge fans, especially of weather stuff.

As somebody who played IaMP for a long while back nearly ten years ago, I didn't like SWR's gimmicky weather. I like IaMP's more traditional take on a fighting game, even if there are shmup elements in it. I haven't played the newest Touhou fighter, just because the folks I would play doujin fighting games with moved away, and I don't see them much anymore.

IaMP, though...I really like that game.

Kumubou

I'm pretty sure every IaMP player I knew when SWR came out couldn't stand the changes to the game, mainly due to the rando weather (holy shit, what a bad mechanic) and the movement changes, with air dashes being too free. While IaMP's movement was rather loose with superjumps and dashes being projectile-invincible, being in the air was a huge risk as getting counterhit usually meant you got bopped for big damage and blocking could often times lead to a guard break in the air, which was also really bad.

Another fun fact: IaMP was the second instance of a fighting game with legitimately good netcode that I can remember (after GGPO itself). Here's some random hack of some obscure-ass doujin game and the netcode is just gdlk out of nowhere. It took years before commercial games even started getting close, which is just sad.

shaowebb

those touhou games have some pretty fresh ideas. they make me wonder how this genre of games will evolve. do you think fighting games have seen as much mechanical development and diversity as other genres? im asking cuz i dont really know a lot about other genres...

Doujin fighters in general tend to take more risks to stand out in hopes of hitting it big with the market. After all, if you want to stand out focus on how you're different more than how you're the same.

There is a whole world of fighting mechanics and tools out there that get overlooked or forgotten because they are in low user base titles or indies. Many are stuck in games with too many flaws, while others are stuck in games that simply went unnoticed. Its fun to bring them all up here in this thread.

Touhou 10.5 Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is pretty odd in terms of fighting game mechanics. Its got spirit orbs and and spell cards. Spirit orbs are like meter used for stuff like projectiles and moves if I remember right and you can equip a deck of Spell cards to your character to take to battle that do stuff in the match and you choose 20...if you thought balancing your shit in Marvel or Arcana Heart was tricky this shit takes it to absurd levels with that deck build thing. Plus it had this thing where you could fly and during this state you could pass through projectiles but you could only fly so long as you had Spirit orbs and you could only activate it as many times as your airdash or something.

Hard to remember it all. Game was nuts with firing projectiles to catch folks passing thrugh them with flight as they fell out and with spell cards and shit. Plus depending on the weather certain things happened like Test Your Luck sorta modifiers in the match. Things like meter being easier to use or no normals or Ragna style life steal on moves were some I remembered.

Deck building was the most fun though. Never could keep weather straight. You could control it with spell cards though.

WarRock

A succubs/devil, angel and outlaw seem like a very weird group of characters to be in the same game (within a singular, non-crossover universe). Still its always nice to seem more indie fighting games, especially outside of America/Japan, and the animation looks pretty good.
I do agree. Watched the cangaceiro trailer first, then decided to search more about the game and got surprised when saw the design of the other characters in detail.

GooeyHeat

A friend of mine played a good amount of Soku, and generally their thoughts on the weather were that it's a silly mechanic, but it doesn't impede the game all that much unless Typhoon happens in which case the game is trivialized for the next 30 seconds.
(Typhoon makes it so that nobody takes hitstun but nobody can block. For 30 seconds, everyone is Gold War Machine.)

notworksafe

7DVQ89H.png

what idiot was in charge of this
wDf7s2A.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom