• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Gotta give him something after what strider did to him.
l

scust.png

I'm pretty sure every IaMP player I knew when SWR came out couldn't stand the changes to the game, mainly due to the rando weather (holy shit, what a bad mechanic) and the movement changes, with air dashes being too free. While IaMP's movement was rather loose with superjumps and dashes being projectile-invincible, being in the air was a huge risk as getting counterhit usually meant you got bopped for big damage and blocking could often times lead to a guard break in the air, which was also really bad.

Another fun fact: IaMP was the second instance of a fighting game with legitimately good netcode that I can remember (after GGPO itself). Here's some random hack of some obscure-ass doujin game and the netcode is just gdlk out of nowhere. It took years before commercial games even started getting close, which is just sad.

IaMP fans are like Melee fans except to an even more extreme degree last I checked

Shouta

Choco's been EG for ages. You just don't see her as much as Momochi because he's the stronger player and travels more often.

I think i may have to take back playing as a starter to learn a fighting game.

I feel like my improvement stalled playing as Ryu. Going back to Poison, sure, I'm more aware of stuff like footsies, but ultimately, I've improved more in this weekend (20 hours clocked) than I did in the past month. I feel like loving a character and connecting with them probably drives for improvement more than learning a character you're expected to learn. Not that I'm not going to learn Ryu. :p

Tonight I went into the lab, worked on my rekka's. Then I specifically put in characters in the trianing mode that I have trouble with. Guys like Abel or Seth. I did situational training: Abel's roll, Seth's fireball fights and zoning and pokes.

Tonight I fought a bunch of Seth's and Abel's.

I didn't manage to beat a single one, but I almost did. That means a lot to me. In some cases I was actually taking them to school and with a really poor match up on my hands. So even when I lost I felt like I had still had my pride intact.

This video is the single handedly most useful video on Street Fighter and fighting games I've ever seen beyond Daigo vs Alex Valle Ryu vs Ryu match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

I would LOVE to watch more stuff like this but I can't find anything as good.

This past weekend SF really clicked with me. When I say click, I don't mean winning ALL THE TIME, I mean understanding the game, what I'm supposed to do on a character to character basis, using discretion, using strategies.

Tonight I fought someone on my friend list who plays Rose. Rose is his main and he's a B rank. I'm a D+ rank. I gave him a run for his money and even managed to beat him. It's subtle shit that shows the game has clicked. When fighting Rose, I realize that she has a reflect for fb. So during the initial neutral game at match start, if I'm not into pushing his buttons by playing offensively and getting into his face, I start it off with a medium fb. He'll meet it half way, then I'll throw out a small fb, and he does the same. The next fb, many Rose players will try to reflect it, so I use heavy fb to give him the illusion that I'm going to throw out an fb that has enough spacing to hit him. When he wastes his move, I'll jump in his face with a Love Me Tender, or walk up and nail him with a ranged normal like standing HP.

This may not be a big deal, but I never played mind games before playing fighters. I never considered fb spacing before this weekend, or speeds, or what they're even for.

I'm learning how to slowly learn how to think like the player by knowing their moves and how they react against mine.

It's such a very, very satisfying manner of play, and I've never played a video game with this amount of mind games. It's like the entire genre has opened up for me with things I never considered and I'm obsessed with being better and getting ahead of the people I fight regularly.

At a time when I was close to giving up on games as a hobby, SF comes and gives me something new to love.

Amazing.

I also have to give credit to the fighting game community.

Over the past 4-5 months since I started playing seriously, FGC has been amazingly helpful, valuable, and resourceful. They keep me in check without being condescending. No "lol NUB" crap. They're willing to trade strategies, while still being openly competitive. I love how everyone has their own personal reasons for using characters beyond "he looks cool." I love the competition, the professional matches, the fight scene that never seems to get old, how everyone in the community is literally all trying to get better as a player and how this follows them into their actual lives where they try to get better in that area too.

I'm throwing my hat to the FGC. Other competitive gaming communities I haven't found nearly as welcoming while also being practical and helpful.

vulva

I also have to give credit to the fighting game community.

Over the past 4-5 months since I started playing seriously, FGC has been amazingly helpful, valuable, and resourceful. They keep me in check without being condescending. No "lol NUB" crap. They're willing to trade strategies, while still being openly competitive. I love how everyone has their own personal reasons for using characters beyond "he looks cool." I love the competition, the professional matches, the fight scene that never seems to get old, how everyone in the community is literally all trying to get better as a player and how this follows them into their actual lives where they try to get better in that area too.

I'm throwing my hat to the FGC. Other competitive gaming communities I haven't found nearly as welcoming while also being practical and helpful.

wanna play some matches on steam right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom