• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Would want them to make their own actual fighting games tbh
Imagine Ubisoft,Blizzard,Activision,EA, making fighting games designed to be on the same stage at EVO with the rest...

mbpm1

Imagine Ubisoft,Blizzard,Activision,EA, making fighting games designed to be on the same stage at EVO with the rest...

I can definitely imagine more buggy messes that will flop and not deliver on promises and go overbudget and be released late, only this time they're fighting games.

Numb

They already don't respect their existing franchises.

Not seeing them do well with a fighting game.

Dang.
For a moment thought they were hungry enough to want to corner all of eSports.
Fighting games seem like too much of a hassle and effort to keep up and balance for much less gain.

mbpm1

Are they hungry?

Tablet games just seem like a very obligatory move at this point.

"Oh yeah let's throw last year's AAA game into a Bejeweled clone. Easy to make and we'll reap the rewards most of the time."

Producer

Why i said meant for Evo AKA not shit or unbalanced.
Seeing them make their existing frachises into tablet card games and whatnot gave me the idea if they did the same but for fighters.
Don't how they would pull it off tho.

Its hard to imagine something like that from those companies.

Numb

Are they hungry?

Tablet games just seem like a very obligatory move at this point.

"Oh yeah let's throw last year's AAA game into a Bejeweled clone. Easy to make and we'll reap the rewards most of the time."
Seeing a MOBA pop up every few minutes wanting that piece of the pie.
Saddening that fighting games aren't even on the table. Just Japan and a few others.

Kumubou

Seeing a MOBA pop up every few minutes wanting that piece of the pie.
Saddening that fighting games aren't even on the table. Just Japan and a few others.
To be fair, until very recently the history of western developers making fighting games has been nearly universally awful. You were about at likely to get a Japanese developer to make a good FPS.

The asset floor is too high (especially in the HD era), putting it out of reach of all but the most insane indie developers without some rather lateral thinking. It's also a very established genre with some extremely long-running series, and historically it's been extremely difficult to have a breakthrough hit, especially with an original IP. I would say it's about a much of a good idea as making an AAA shump, except that at least MKX shows that having a fighting game sell at that level is possible.

Shao, since you have spent time reading up on Xrd's modeling techniques, can you explain why doing alternate costumes is so hard for them?

Isn't Growler his DP?
I thought it was, too, but then I was reading this:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s660...4a35e48cd036/fcb8fe6db58eae3206d730f6b27dd236

And an Azrael main says:
Azrael
Rating: 11

He got the dp that he should never have gotten back........ He's a god........ (Zexo)

Izayoi being a 9/10 and having some kind of flight mechanic has made me very interested in her, too.

Are there any solid beginner Izayoi guides out there? Going to check YT now.

Dahbomb

Only Valve and Blizzard would be worth a damn if they decided to make a fighter and even then they would not be that good for the core fighting game fans. They would however bring more people into the scene which is good.

I would play the fuck out of a 3v3 team based Blizzard All Stars fighter.

Only Valve and Blizzard would be worth a damn if they decided to make a fighter and even then they would not be that good for the core fighting game fans. They would however bring more people into the scene which is good.

Yes Please!

Numb

To be fair, until very recently the history of western developers making fighting games has been nearly universally awful. You were about at likely to get a Japanese developer to make a good FPS.

The asset floor is too high (especially in the HD era), putting it out of reach of all but the most insane indie developers without some rather lateral thinking. It's also a very established genre with some extremely long-running series, and historically it's been extremely difficult to have a breakthrough hit, especially with an original IP. I would say it's about a much of a good idea as making an AAA shump, except that at least MKX shows that having a fighting game sell at that level is possible.

Knew western AAA fighters had a bleak future just not that bleak.
mjcry1.png

My thoughts exactly.
These big companies don't even have to invent new guys. Just have an all out brawl between what they got already.

petghost

Banned
How well do fgs sell compared to other genres?

You'd think we'd see more people trying to make them... It's like 3 big jp companies and 2 American ones that make fighting games atm and then a couple small studios and Indies.

Def no shortage of big devs who pump out fps games or mobas or rpgs or whatever.

Dahbomb

Blizzard has a MMO, a loot based ARPG, a FPS, a digital card game, an RTS and a MOBA. As far as multilayer games go they are just lacking in fighters and probably racers.

I think if fighters blow up the Blizzard might make their attempt at it. Right now we are not at that stage.

Shao, since you have spent time reading up on Xrd's modeling techniques, can you explain why doing alternate costumes is so hard for them?

I thought it was, too, but then I was reading this:
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s660...4a35e48cd036/fcb8fe6db58eae3206d730f6b27dd236

And an Azrael main says:

Izayoi being a 9/10 and having some kind of flight mechanic has made me very interested in her, too.

Are there any solid beginner Izayoi guides out there? Going to check YT now.

Growler is indeed his DP, what that comment is talking about is how they reverted the nerfs that CPEX gave to it and so it became too good again.

Personally, I am scared of Azrael again...

Numb

How well do fgs sell compared to other genres?

You'd think we'd see more people trying to make them... It's like 3 big jp companies and 2 American ones that make fighting games atm and then a couple small studios and Indies.

Def no shortage of big devs who pump out fps games or mobas or rpgs or whatever.
Fighters being so well known they seem way too under represented.

Blizzard has a MMO, a loot based ARPG, a FPS, a digital card game, an RTS and a MOBA. As far as multilayer games go they are just lacking in fighters admnd probably racers.

I think if fighters blow up the Blizzard might make their attempt at it. Right now we are not at that stage.
Just a matter of time.
How much more do they need to blow up tho
After SFV drops?

petghost

Banned
i dno it seems like the name blizzard just makes shit blow up regardless of what it is... i doubt heathstone woulda found nearly as large an audience if it was made by some smaller dev catering to the community of people who dig competitive card game stuff. the appeal of that game seems way larger than that niche audience.

man...it just feels like some big western dev could come in and eat capcoms lunch in this genre. maybe FG's are just really hard to make? not a ton of people out there that i know of with the knowledge to create a competitively sound FG. companies like double helix and iron galaxy and even arcsys straight up hired from the community to find those kinds of people.

Edit: oh yeah i guess capcom hired straight from the community as well!

Nightii

Banned
As well known as they are, Fighting Games in general get played such a small amount of people it's not funny, the stigma of complexity is so ingrained in the average joe's mind that they just don't stand a chance in the huge, ever-encroaching AAA market.

Numb

Give it to EA and they'll eventually get it right with their yearly updates.
Bang your head against a wall long enough....

Beats

From what I remember there's a lot of manual work done for the shading on the models so that it looks the way they want it to from any angle. Even the linework is done manually. That's kind of the short answer to it. Tbh they might as well just make a new character instead of an alt costume.

The GDC talk about the art is here if you're interested. It's only an hour long.

Woah, Izayoi has a flight mode or something? Was was I never aware of this?

Izayoi can't fly as such, but in her offensive mode she has a hoverdash like Morrigan (forward and back iirc) plus two airdashes on top of that.

Since she can also teleport in the air in that mode her mobility gets pretty nuts.

shaowebb

As well known as they are, Fighting Games in general get played such a small amount of people it's not funny, the stigma of complexity is so ingrained in the average joe's mind that they just don't stand a chance in the huge, ever-encroaching AAA market.

I honestly think that since the key to getting deep into the genre itself is to spend a lot of time on one game anyhow that fighters should look into some kind of "long term collection" thing as a major part of their titles. Strong single player improves sales tremendously as Mortal Kombat proved with all the things it offered up. Some kind of continuing single player content incentive would be good, but its hard to figure out what would work best at the least expense to produce.

Some things I'd be interested in titles doing would be:
  • Unlockable Heroes and Heralds mode style combat modifiers for another mode
  • custom moveset tools for a create a character section's specials
  • costume parts for characters and create a characters
  • stage parts for create a stage
  • collectible title belts for online play achievements during various "events". Think Marvel puzzle quest...win through all the nodes of a particularly over powered Heroes and Heralds set of teams with "levels" that modify their stats and damage output, play for points in your bracket, top placers at the end of the event get a title belt or perhaps other item for other modes like more overkill heroes and heralds style tools.
  • theme Heroes and Heralds style events where all teams have the same modifiers and by collecting points in your bracket you win new abiliites for that mode.

Basically the most attractive single player options that appeal to me are Koryu mode style broken ass tools to win via racking up points in nodes vs AI like Marvel Puzzle Quest cover hunting style stuff. The AI nodes would appeal to folks afraid of FGC veterans while a seperate pvp mode in this event would attract people who like broken shit to clown around with.

Essentially it'd do the thing that casuals crave which is make them feel powerful with leveling up their stats and broken ass move collecting vs AI nodes. Neat thing is it might train them to block and do real shit though along the way and get them interested in core real ass play. All HH style shit is non legit play so its shenanigans vs shenanigans and its okay for folks to try and be overpowered, level up stats and equip stupid shit just like diablo or some rpg or something. Folks were wanting to run HH sets in Marvel so why not capitalize off this idea in a manner thats seperate from the main game, throw in leveling, and just keep releasing content for it as a single player first, PVP second mode to keep casuals buying and cash flowing?

Just a thought. More tools is always fun and sandbox fighters are always entertaining. I could see many entertaining streamers challenging some weekly event's nodes or PVP with the modifiers of the week or some shit. The grinding and ability/loot tools tend to pull folks back weekly in other games so why not try it for fun so long as its not touching the main title?

Honestly, if you just outright lifted the Marvel Puzzle Quest economy, nodes, point system, and all that jazz release that mode for free to draw in players and make cash off them. Just have a roster character as an unlockable weekly if they get enough points and they can eventually expand their "free" game through playing enough to unlock the full cast to level and customize in that mode. You'd get good returns continually this way at no entry barrier price and you could still incorporate this with the full retail title as a big single player mode alongside of story, main modes, and whatever else.

Izayoi can't fly as such, but in her offensive mode she has a hoverdash like Morrigan (forward and back iirc) plus two airdashes on top of that.

Since she can also teleport in the air in that mode her mobility gets pretty nuts.
I also remembered that Iza is a stance character. -_- is she still in CF?

I SWEAR I saw her hover around a bit in CF loketest videos.

From what I remember there's a lot of manual work done for the shading on the models so that it looks the way they want it to from any angle. Even the linework is done manually. That's kind of the short answer to it. Tbh they might as well just make a new character instead of an alt costume.

The GDC talk about the art is here if you're interested. It's only an hour long.
Thanks!

Growler is indeed his DP, what that comment is talking about is how they reverted the nerfs that CPEX gave to it and so it became too good again.

Personally, I am scared of Azrael again...
Can you fill me in on the deets?

ShinMaruku

Blizzard has a MMO, a loot based ARPG, a FPS, a digital card game, an RTS and a MOBA. As far as multilayer games go they are just lacking in fighters and probably racers.

Blizzard loves rng too much that would fuck up a fighter. Also I don't think they have anything near the chops nor the insanity to try a fighter. I don't think fighters will ever blow up until there is a free to play version and the core is in the millions. Until either or both is saticfied nothing will come of it. That said DO you want fighting games to be that big, would it improve it that much?

I don't think that's it. People like us are unique in that we find fighting games entertaining for a long time. For a lot of other people, repeating the scenario of simply character vs character, the games don't have a lot of lasting appeal.

ShinMaruku

I don't think that's it. People like us are unique in that we find fighting games entertaining for a long time. For a lot of other people, repeating the scenario of simply character vs character, the games don't have a lot of lasting appeal.

That is percisley why I don't mind things being as they are at a proper scale. You could montize this in different ways if you want big pay outs.

Can you fill me in on the deets?

Well, apparently I'm wrong and way behind anyways because they did give him a new move that's pretty much a DP that people claim to be is fully invincible and also safe on block so that's what they must've been talking about.

But anyways, one of the big things Azrael had in CP was that Growler was a reversal with a hitbox on his entire body that could absorb projectiles for him to use as his own AND was invincible on startup and invincible for its entire duration if it absorbed something. CPEX's way of balancing it was to take away the invincibilty on it making him actually have to worry more about its wake up.

Now here we are with him having an invincible reversal that people claim is positive on block :|

Marz

Well, apparently I'm wrong and way behind anyways because they did give him a new move that's pretty much a DP that people claim to be is fully invincible and also safe on block so that's what they must've been talking about.

But anyways, one of the big things Azrael had in CP was that Growler was a reversal with a hitbox on his entire body that could absorb projectiles for him to use as his own AND was invincible on startup and invincible for its entire duration if it absorbed something. CPEX's way of balancing it was to take away the invincibilty on it making him actually have to worry more about its wake up.

Now here we are with him having an invincible reversal that people claim to is positive on block :|

UNGA

Really interested in where SFV sales will sit.

One thing to consider is that competitions and tourneys, especially EVO, are getting more popular by the year even by non fighting game fans.

So I feel like there's hope.

WarRock

Blizzard loves rng too much that would fuck up a fighter. Also I don't think they have anything near the chops nor the insanity to try a fighter. I don't think fighters will ever blow up until there is a free to play version and the core is in the millions. Until either or both is saticfied nothing will come of it. That said DO you want fighting games to be that big, would it improve it that much?
Dissidia?

It's going to sell gangbusters, you can bank on that. It will have more sales then there will be people playing it competitively, and you can also bank on that. Not to say SFV will be competitive flop, but the sales number being bigger than the competitive player number is just a fact.

Now here we are with him having an invincible reversal that people claim is positive on block :|

An invincible reversal that's positive on block, and doesn't require meter? Jesus, and I thought MKX was bad with it's armored reversals, at least they require meter.

It's going to sell gangbusters, you can bank on that. It will have more sales then there will be people playing it competitively, and you can also bank on that. Not to say SFV will be competitive flop, but the sales number being bigger than the competitive player number is just a fact.

I think this is obvious and I didn't dispute it.

However, this is no different from any other multiplayer game. Starcraft and CoD and DOTA have lots of casual players and only a few highly competitive ones.

But I'm wondering is whether or not high profile tourneys like EVO gaining more popularity will help being new competition to the genre in a big way. Probably not, but one can hope.

Dahbomb

"Man Blizz doesn't have the chops to make a MMO"

"Man Blizz doesn't have the chops to make a card game"

"Man Blizz doesn't have the chops to make a MOBA"

"Man Blizz doesn't have the chops to make a FPS"

onionfrog

One thing to consider is that competitions and tourneys, especially EVO, are getting more popular by the year even by non fighting game fans.

So I feel like there's hope.
Hopefully the story mode will be well done so capcom can get dem casual sales.

ShinMaruku

"Man Blizz doesn't have the chops to make a MMO"

"Man Blizz doesn't have the chops to make a card game"

"Man Blizz doesn't have the chops to make a MOBA"

"Man Blizz doesn't have the chops to make a FPS"

You can't say they don't have the chops for a MOBA when it's based off their shit. They can very easliy get good stuff for a FPS and a card game due to the activision mother ship. Also there are just some games I don't have faith in a western developer to make. There is an exception in Lab Zero but a big company like Blizzard? Fuck no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom