• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dlent

I got DOA on sale this week and I've been having a lot of fun with it. There's definitely an element of rock paper scissors to it, but all fighting games have that. Never played DOA before this, so I can't comment on improvement. I love fast paced games, so this is right up my alley. Need to test the netcode quality more to see if I decide to stick with it.

Shin, what incentive is there to not tech chain throws? It seems like you could tech them on reaction 100% of the time after seeing them once.

EDIT: I'll repost the Melty lobby site for the new page http://seemeinmelty.meteor.com/

ShinMaruku

I got DOA on sale this week and I've been having a lot of fun with it. There's definitely an element of rock paper scissors to it, but all fighting games have that. Never played DOA before this, so I can't comment on improvement. I love fast paced games, so this is right up my alley. Need to test the netcode quality more to see if I decide to stick with it.

Shin, what incentive is there to not tech chain throws? It seems like you could tech them on reaction 100% of the time after seeing them once.

If you mean mashing counter? Well if somebody puts you into a set up where you must counter to get out, you run into a high counter throw where you can do extra damage. Also remember characters all play differently so the system is not just 1 to 1 on every character.

Shouta

Current DOA is really good as an actual game though I do have a few problems here and there with it still. The stigma is just too strong though.

Dlent

If you mean mashing counter? Well if somebody puts you into a set up where you must counter to get out, you run into a high counter throw where you can do extra damage. Also remember characters all play differently so the system is not just 1 to 1 on every character.

Nah, I just mean why wouldn't I tech something like Tina's combo throw when I see the blue "combo throw" pop up on the screen,

ShinMaruku

The stigma being what it is is exactly why I will never support them trying to reach into the the general fgc for recognition. That soft ban was very stupid because all it did was reinforce the stigma and the fact that most of the FGC is a bunch of monogamers.

I would always promote the game growing on it's own to the point like Smash the FGC has to accept it. No way in hell we'd get a game like that into the regular structure. Anybody who thinks it can has way too much faith in humanity.

The chain throws have a tight teching time where they should only be done from set ups where it is garneteed. You can easily break Tina's multipart if it's not set up during somebody's recovery.

petghost

Banned
when i played DOA last it just kinda left me pining for VF...

it has this rep as being the easy/simple 3d fighter that is about tits but god damn the system seems way more complex and convoluted than VF. still pretty unsure as to how half the mechanics work.

ShinMaruku

System is not that convoluted, you just need to understand the game flow, now some characters are difficult, like Lei Fang and Mila, they have parries that will parry either punches or kicks, Hitomi has a punch parry that if you space it will knock people out of the air and give you great set ups. It's nothing as simple as punches beat throws and holds beat strikes and throws beating them. That's just a simple frame work. You have parries option selects critical bursts,power launchers and power blows.

I think far too little people pay attention to how stages add a wrinkle to the game. For example Ayane and Hitomi have moves that will wall slam you and bounce you off the wall allowing for a garenteed combo after that.

petghost

Banned
System is not that convoluted, you just need to understand the game flow, now some characters are difficult, like Lei Fang and Mila, they have parries that will parry either punches or kicks, Hitomi has a punch parry that if you space it will knock people out of the air and give you great set ups. It's nothing as simple as punches beat throws and holds beat strikes and throws beating them. That's just a simple frame work. You have parries option selects critical bursts,power launchers and power blows.

I think far too little people pay attention to how stages add a wrinkle to the game. For example Ayane and Hitomi have moves that will wall slam you and bounce you off the wall allowing for a garenteed combo after that.

thats what im talking about tho... the stages add yet another set of variables to an already very complex system. like i dno what the fuck is gonna happen half the time when im around a stage hazard.

Dlent

It was certainly one of the longest tutorials I've ever played, but everything is fairly easy to understand once you're actually in a match. Training mode seems great too.

Shouta

Stages aren't all that different than Walls in VF5. Just gotta research how to deal maximum damage from that situation. Most of the systems are similar to VF now as well. The big crinkle is that the game has a ton of strings for each character making countering a requirement to really be able to play the game. VF has far fewer strings and way more single strikes.

ShinMaruku

It was certainly one of the longest tutorials I've ever played, but everything is fairly easy to understand once you're actually in a match. Training mode seems great too.
Best tutorial I have seen to be quite honest.
Stages aren't all that different than Walls in VF5. Just gotta research how to deal maximum damage from that situation. Most of the systems are similar to VF now as well. The big crinkle is that the game has a ton of strings for each character making countering a requirement to really be able to play the game. VF has far fewer strings and way more single strikes.

Yup and also you just need to find what is a danger zone and either avoid it or utilize it. For example if you have some characters with their back to the wall and you get the right throw or counter you send THEM into the wall.

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
Isn't being good at DOA the equivalent of being good at paper rock scissors?

yes and no there are a lot of guaranteed stuff in the game believe it or not. where if such and such happens to you can not counter out of it. I'm not talking launchers where you have to stagger escape out of if your good enough that is. like a great example my match against Master around runtime 2:48 that crictal burst was guaranteed I can not counter it. the commentary might talk about or say "thats a guaranteed set up". Also gets way way more in depth than that there also stage obstacle combos and slope combos etc etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msog7MkTnlM

Shun

All I know is that I play Dead Or Alive pretty casually and Kokoro and Momiji makes me feel ლ(´ڡ`ლ) (*´﹃`*)

Prison School has been bad influence on me the past few years...

ShinMarku what is the ideal button layout for Last Round coming from Tekken or EXVS/ASW games? I'd prefer to be within the same placement as this but I'm flexible.

CRf9PKqUAAAIcXy.jpg

ShinMaruku

Square and triangle are punch and kick circle is throw x is the free button also known as the hold button. The Triggers are p+K for R1 and so on. You have to experiment. I don't play this game on stick.

petghost

Banned
yes and no there are a lot of guaranteed stuff in the game believe it or not. where if such and such happens to you can not counter out of it. I'm not talking launchers where you have to stagger escape out of if your good enough that is. like a great example my match against Master around runtime 2:48 that crictal burst was guaranteed I can not counter it. the commentary might talk about or say "thats a guaranteed set up". Also gets way way more in depth than that there also stage obstacle combos and slope combos etc etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msog7MkTnlM

damn this vid makes the game look really fun... maybe i'll give it another shot. thanks for sharing it.

ShinMaruku

All the ideas people have about this game is really wrong when you see pros play it. Bboy here got top 3 in the last 3 majors and got top 8 for the last year and a half of play. He's really good.

Had been practicing in the lab to take out a specific person's Seth. He's b rank and in the top 2000 percentile on Steam.

Tonight, instead of getting massacred within 10 seconds like usual, I even won rounds. One fight, I knocked his ass silly, and played just about perfectly. I nearly got a perfect. The next round, he won, but I still got his life down to a quarter left and I could have won if I had my head fully in the game. Third round he took it and murdered me.

Still, amazing progress from "how the fuck do I counter this?" to "Phht. Eat shit, Seth."

Anne

Man, I wish I could just get a straight layout of how Izayoi works, and when she can do what abilities.

Izayoi's Drive allows her to enter an alternate mode called Gain Art, giving her new dashes, C normals, special moves, and extensions to existing special moves. When in Gain Art, Izayoi gains tremendous mix-up and pressure potential, contrasting the defensive style of her normal mode. While Izayoi can transfer between the two modes freely, usage of the special moves available in Gain Art require stocks of the Zero Weave gauge, which are generated by using special moves during normal mode. These stocks are generated regardless of hit (2 stock gain) or block (1 stock gain) and are the foundation behind Gain Art pressure and combos. Effective usage of normal mode to generate stocks and Gain Art to spend them is the key to success!

In GA mode her C normals change, she can't run and instead has morrigan dash, she gets multiple airdashes and they move at a downward angle unless she holds up to steer back up. She can spend the stocks in GA mode to power up her moves and use her special teleport. She has some new movement option in CF that kinda looks like a hover. A lot of it is on the DL wiki.

petran79

Banned
Current DOA is really good as an actual game though I do have a few problems here and there with it still. The stigma is just too strong though.

Not as strong as Arcana Heart 3
Though looking back at DOA2 on the Dreamcast it seems modest when compared to today.
The volleyball games ruined it...

I also remembered that Iza is a stance character. -_- is she still in CF?

I SWEAR I saw her hover around a bit in CF loketest videos.

(Disclaimer, i don't know anything about her CF incarnation so perhaps she has new stuff)

She can hold and angle her hover- and airdashes, so perhaps that's what you saw. It's kinda like real flight except she can't stall.

Here a beginner's guide on dustloop.

But in short, she has a defensive Normal mode and an offensive Gain Art mode.
* In Normal mode she has one airdash, a ground run and C normals that are good for pokey stuff. In Normal mode she fills a gauge of 8 dots by hitting with specials or getting them blocked.
* She can go into Gain Art at any time by pressing D (even without any dots in her gauge). In GA she has a hoverdash and two airdashes and C normals for pressure/combos. She also uses those 8 dots for D versions of her specials, which are very good. They cost one or two dots a pop. Her D projectile is huge and something like +20 on block. Her D teleport crosses up, is very fast and can be used in the air. Her sword slashes get D followups that are very good for combos.

Kumubou

Square and triangle are punch and kick circle is throw x is the free button also known as the hold button. The Triggers are p+K for R1 and so on. You have to experiment. I don't play this game on stick.
Personally, I play it with the same layout that I use for VF, where you have free/guard where LK would usually be and punch and kick on LP and MP. I also use a binding for P+K+G, and when playing a couple of specific characters I'll add another binding (like K+G with Akira or P+K with Marie) to abuse a couple of flaws with the game's somewhat silly command interpreter.

As an aside, the one real problem I have with DoA nowadays is that the netcode is straight trash. (That and the way they handled the PC version was just awful, but that's a whole another can of worms with Koei-Tecmo games.) It really keeps me from playing the game, especially since it's not like I can get offline comp. otherwise.

Well i mean the DOA players in this thread arent exactly going against that stigma...
It could be "worse" -- we could be talking about something like Arcana Heart or Koihime Musou. :V

(Disclaimer, i don't know anything about her CF incarnation so perhaps she has new stuff)

She can hold and angle her hover- and airdashes, so perhaps that's what you saw. It's kinda like real flight except she can't stall.

Here a beginner's guide on dustloop.

But in short, she has a defensive Normal mode and an offensive Gain Art mode.
* In Normal mode she has one airdash, a ground run and C normals that are good for pokey stuff. In Normal mode she fills a gauge of 8 dots by hitting with specials or getting them blocked.
* She can go into Gain Art at any time by pressing D (even without any dots in her gauge). In GA she has a hoverdash and two airdashes and C normals for pressure/combos. She also uses those 8 dots for D versions of her specials, which are very good. They cost one or two dots a pop. Her D projectile is huge and something like +20 on block. Her D teleport crosses up, is very fast and can be used in the air. Her sword slashes get D followups that are very good for combos.
Do people ever use her and pretty much stay in the Gain Art mode? Her Normal Mode is pretty Zzz Zzz in comparison. Is it just the D versions of her moves that need the dots? Is everything else available, all of her specials? Can she ever gain dots in Gain Art mode? This is the stuff I haven't been able to figure out.

Do people ever use her and pretty much stay in the Gain Art mode? Her Normal Mode is pretty Zzz Zzz in comparison.

No, but they do stay in Gain Art a lot.

Edit: Also, switching stances stalls your air momentum for a bit and you can do stuff afterward, which definitely has some uses.

Is it just the D versions of her moves that need the dots? Is everything else available, all of her specials?

Yep, it's just the D specials. But those are very good, so it can be worth going back to Normal for. Her normal projectile is pretty decent and you gain dots even on block.

Can she ever gain dots in Gain Art mode?

Only by activating Overdrive. In Overdrive her D projectile and Install super (that one is a lot like Yang's in SF4) get better too. Of course you're giving up a Burst for it so it'd better be good.

No, but they do stay in Gain Art a lot.

Edit: Also, switching stances stalls your air momentum for a bit and you can do stuff afterward, which definitely has some uses.

Yep, it's just the D specials. But those are very good, so it can be worth going back to Normal for. Her normal projectile is pretty decent and you gain dots even on block.

Only by activating Overdrive. In Overdrive her D projectile and Install super (that one is a lot like Yang's in SF4) get better too. Of course you're giving up a Burst for it so it'd better be good.
How exactly do Overdrives work in BB?

How exactly do Overdrives work in BB?

Let's see. Doing A+B+C+D while being hit gets you a Burst. You pop out of their combo and lose all of your burst gauge.

Doing it at any other time gets you Overdrive and you lose 3/4 of your burst gauge. The activation is invincible, but it lasts shorter if you do it in a combo or while blocking. The benefits are character specific but generally very good, giving you resources or damage buffs or something. Supers are improved too while in OD. And you can extend combos with it.

In BBCF Overdrive is getting even better since at the very least it'll give you access to an extra invincible super that doesn't cost meter. There's some kinda mechanics in there that give you your burst gauge back much quicker too.

Let's see. Doing A+B+C+D while being hit gets you a Burst. You pop out of their combo and lose all of your burst gauge.

Doing it at any other time gets you Overdrive and you lose 3/4 of your burst gauge. The activation is invincible, but it lasts shorter if you do it in a combo or while blocking. The benefits are character specific but generally very good, giving you resources or damage buffs or something. Supers are improved too while in OD. And you can extend combos with it.

In BBCF Overdrive is getting even better since at the very least it'll give you access to an extra invincible super that doesn't cost meter. There's some kinda mechanics in there that give you your burst gauge back much quicker too.
Is there any disadvantage to activating an Overdrive at full health vs. low health?

Ah. Can you give me a rough estimate of how long it is at full health?

Thanks for all the answers!

At full health it's 3 seconds for almost everyone. At under 10% health it's 10 or 12 seconds for most characters.

The time gets cut in half i think if you do it in a combo or out of guard.

No prob~

Edit:
On the topic of BB, Famitsu posted a couple Naoto and Hibiki combos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUc61pNyT_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayelY8VDHpA

The Naoto corner one looks pretty serious.

WarRock

The thing about EA or Blizz doing a fighting game is that they focus test the hell out of their games. And after being part in Diablo 3 beta I have 0 hopes in Blizzard doing a fun fighting game.

Well Ultimate Muscle is the sequel so not exactly.

Funnily enough, the original anime itself is a 4kids-ization at times. The scene in question is just a more child friendly alternative to the original
I remember that happening so out of nowhere... fights get bloody and brutal without any warning in that manga.

The only RNG in dissidia is crits, and even those are controllable.
Didn't some weapons had % to do stuff on hit? It has been some time since I last played it.

MechaX

The last DOA match I have seen at tournament was a match where the people selected a stage that looked like someone's tiny ass apartment room and people were just getting hit into walls with every combo for insane damage.

Does that still happen?

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
The last DOA match I have seen at tournament was a match where the people selected a stage that looked like someone's tiny ass apartment room and people were just getting hit into walls with every combo for insane damage.

Does that still happen?

no that was probably what you saw is a exhibition match or doing a button check wanted to show off combos. in any tournament you are not allowed to pick any stage. You have have to pick random select stage or DQ lol

UGSBBoyDragon

Neo Member
damn this vid makes the game look really fun... maybe i'll give it another shot. thanks for sharing it.

DOA is actually really techincal like example in this match you hear him say i choose to eat the ground grab. Cause teching up would be really bad due to Tina opition select she has a low that stuns and a mid that suns me. I actually first set you will see me tech up and get hit by them and I cant do anything except block the 50-50 mix up. They are both unholdable opitions, that means no matter what i can't counter it if i tech up right away if I tech and try to counter even if I "guess" right I will get hit. I can go explain that, but that will take to long. Reason why is because there a lot longer to explain there is a long one hour video to explain why and how it works. That getting into the frame data and how it works etc. anyways in this match you can see what i'm talking about. The force tech to get rid of your wake up options to leave you at high advantages, the opition selects, and etc etc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pMzlqZfau0

Crocodile

Oh Capcom removing the ass slap because they are too lazy to undo it and not willing to have that out there.

It was talk about the whole censoring of stuff in SFV. They were worried about image problem for SFV and used DOA as an example of a game that is fine game play wise but the game makes you feel like a skeez for playing it.

Ah right, of course. I thought it was specifically talking about DOA. To be frank though, I honestly think the "censorship" (glad I can use that word in this thread without people going apeshit) of R. Mika does more to draw attention to her than reduce the sexiness "levels". Considering the type of character she is, if Capcom/the community have real issues with SFVs sexiness levels, they should be looking more in the direction of Cammy or maybe even Laura than R. Mika (the trashy anime wrestler who dresses like a trashy anime wrestler). Like at first I didn't have a huge problem with Cammy's classic design coming back (other than I thought it was lazy) but considering how much superior her more modest alt is, I'm more than willing to concede now that Cammy's classic design is kind of a relic now.

pizzacat

Banned
I want to get into blazblue but not sure if I should wait on the newest one or get the latest, have the same issue with guilty gear.

Also what do you guys think of that kof roster leak? Do you think the 3D models being there is a good trade off for bigger rosters?

I want to get into blazblue but not sure if I should wait on the newest one or get the latest, have the same issue with guilty gear.

Also what do you guys think of that kof roster leak? Do you think the 3D models being there is a good trade off for bigger rosters?
from what I know, Xrd revelator doesnt hugely change the characters from Xrd sign. There are changes, but learning sign should easily translate. Central Fiction is a huge change from Chrono Phantasma, characters completely reworked and new mechanics added. You will get a feel for the characters and the timing and control playing chrono phantasma, but you will have changed movesets and definitely changed combos, along with the new exceed excel mechanic.

That being said, the general spacing, nuetral, character style, and just the feel for the game will carry from Chrono phantasma to central fiction, and central fiction is still at least 6 months away, so getting into CP isnt a bad idea.
Oh I see. That makes sense. Neat.
heres my example of how it works
with noel
j.D (whiff) > fc d.6C > d.5C > d.6C > 214A > 2B > 6C > jc OD > 66C > jc j.C > j.D > d.6C > d.2D > d.6A > d.6B > d.236D > 66C(2) > 2362369D (rising) > 66 > 632146D
AI0xRkv.gif

Gif and notation, I wanted to show how the jump cancel is completely invisible to make it work, but you can see how I get a full bar of OD which allows me to chain into double super. Completely impractical in a match since it starts with a fatal counter d.6C, but its fun. There are ways to use it that are usable in match, rarely though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom