• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

Do people ever use her and pretty much stay in the Gain Art mode? Her Normal Mode is pretty Zzz Zzz in comparison. Is it just the D versions of her moves that need the dots? Is everything else available, all of her specials? Can she ever gain dots in Gain Art mode? This is the stuff I haven't been able to figure out.

She needs stock to do basically any real combo without blowing meter in GA, so not really. Just get 6-9 stocks in normal mode, then kill them in GA. The only reason to use GA without stocks is if they are really low life or if you need the movement for like a second.

I want to get into blazblue but not sure if I should wait on the newest one or get the latest, have the same issue with guilty gear.

Also what do you guys think of that kof roster leak? Do you think the 3D models being there is a good trade off for bigger rosters?

Asset reuse could lead to bigger rosters too. Shame they threw all the 2D stuff out from XII and XIII.

Anne

Also CF is a pretty big change from CP and all, but people in Japan have still been calling it "CP 3.0" since it doesn't stray too far from how that game generally works.

ShinMaruku

Well i mean the DOA players in this thread arent exactly going against that stigma...
If you think people in this thread can change some very thickheaded people's minds about the stigma? That would be pointless.

Personally, I play it with the same layout that I use for VF, where you have free/guard where LK would usually be and punch and kick on LP and MP. I also use a binding for P+K+G, and when playing a couple of specific characters I'll add another binding (like K+G with Akira or P+K with Marie) to abuse a couple of flaws with the game's somewhat silly command interpreter.

As an aside, the one real problem I have with DoA nowadays is that the netcode is straight trash. (That and the way they handled the PC version was just awful, but that's a whole another can of worms with Koei-Tecmo games.) It really keeps me from playing the game, especially since it's not like I can get offline comp. otherwise.
Nobody should have thought the PC version was gonna be good. It had all the warning signs of Hayashi making that shit fart out and die. Netcode on psn and live is a bit better but it depends on host and your connection. It could be better.

The last DOA match I have seen at tournament was a match where the people selected a stage that looked like someone's tiny ass apartment room and people were just getting hit into walls with every combo for insane damage.

Does that still happen?
Unless that's random select, then it probably was a button check, but yes, if the random select gives you a certain stage, some characters have STUPID combos. For example my character who are already stupid has: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAqlvKXSJ8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N0e_gDYn_k

So the evironment is a big consideration. Also keep in mind what area you are in with what character you are fighting. Because any place with a wall and you are High counter thrown Ayane goes from a good girl to a freak.

The last DOA match I have seen at tournament was a match where the people selected a stage that looked like someone's tiny ass apartment room and people were just getting hit into walls with every combo for insane damage.

Does that still happen?

you watch fighting games?

ShinMaruku

If one ones fighting games to be huge you have to monititze the viewing properly because you just won't get tens of millions of players at the rate some people are salivating at. Because Everybody loves to watch fighting games.

I think DOA could overcome it's stigma and join the mainstream FGC in a bigger role. If MK did it so can they. It's up to it's community and developer.

ShinMaruku

MK and it's gore is much more acceptable culturally than DOA's pervyness.
Nevermind that themewise and story wise it;s probably one of the darker plots since it all started by a evil rapist shinobi king making his family all try to merc him.

I too think it can join the congolmerate, but not with help from the conglomerate it would have to grow and be self sustaining and have good numbers to force the rest of the FGC to accept it ala Smash.

However it can't be as insular as the Smash community, it's a good challenge. Team Ninja should try to get some deal with Sony like the Capcom cup thing and we'll see more stuff.

vulva

Had been practicing in the lab to take out a specific person's Seth. He's b rank and in the top 2000 percentile on Steam.

Tonight, instead of getting massacred within 10 seconds like usual, I even won rounds. One fight, I knocked his ass silly, and played just about perfectly. I nearly got a perfect. The next round, he won, but I still got his life down to a quarter left and I could have won if I had my head fully in the game. Third round he took it and murdered me.

Still, amazing progress from "how the fuck do I counter this?" to "Phht. Eat shit, Seth."

Somehow I'll take credit for this progress.

Coda

I think DOA 5 didn't make an impact because the game kind of has no soul. It's technically sound and a good fighter, but something about the game just feels empty and cold.

her animations are fantastic
That's alot of fire. Hoping for Jubei one day.
Is CF the last main BB or something?
CF is supposed to be the one to finish the current storyline. BB5 is on the table, but itd be an new start to a new story, which could mean a lot of things like trimming the roster and introducing new main characters. nothing is known other than they said the series wont end with BB4, but Mori wants to take a break after it

Numb

her animations are fantastic
CF is supposed to be the one to finish the current storyline. BB5 is on the table, but itd be an new start to a new story, which could mean a lot of things like trimming the roster and introducing new main characters. nothing is known other than they said the series wont end with BB4, but Mori wants to take a break after it

Thanks for the clarification.
Was hoping it was the case. BB5 also sounds good if they are going that way.

Malice215

The only way DOA can get rid of its stigma is to make the game not DOA. People are going to continue to not take the game seriously as long as it features jiggle physics and scantily clad female characters beating each other up regardless of the improvements to the gameplay. It also needs to offer more to those who currently don't play DOA to pay attention to it.

BBCF is also looking good, but they better not announce a new BB right after I buy the console version.

Someone needs to find a way to make FGs fun in a way that scales down to the casual level.

There's games that offer stuff for the casual player, but what can you really do if someone doesn't enjoy playing against another opponent?

One thing I'm curious about is if league/ladder based matchmaking in SFV is going to keep people more into the game. In MOBAs for instance, wallowing in a shit league (like I do in Dota 2) is still super fun and worthwhile, but do baddies in FGs have fun perpetually playing other bads?

I think people will be into SFV because it's Street Fighter. The matchmaking/netcode/PC crossplay/fight money/continuous DLC will help keep those who are already into the game invested in it.

The only way DOA can get rid of its stigma is to make the game not DOA. People are going to continue to not take the game seriously as long as it features jiggle physics and scantily clad female characters beating each other up regardless of the improvements to the gameplay. It also needs to offer more to those who currently don't play DOA to pay attention to it. .
or people will eventually get over it like they did with MK's violence

ShinMaruku

or people will eventually get over it like they did with MK's violence

Unfortunately people are more OK with Violence than DOA pervyness
MK makes the violence part of the gameplay too wherein the fanservice seems it's just there for the sake of it.
Exactly why you never try to appeal to the current FGC. That is pointless because human nature and just overall fuckery will be an impedement. Or some good money. Money does things to people. Ideally DOA has to convert enough of it's own native base to reach people and convert them then use that to cross over. NOT to try to convert sf players or tekken or whatever else that's pointless and wasteful.

Numb

they are now, but they werent in 1992

Indeed.
DOA might take longer tho unless it removes it which i doubt will happen.
Like the gameplay alot too and if the fanservice is what's making it get ignored by people i don't see why they don't want to tone it down.
Unless they don't give a shit.

ShinMaruku

Game has been toned down and people still brought up the old things. Thus they don't give a fuck and rightly so. People always remember old shit and never look at positives that have been given. It's common human psychology trap. Like I always give my point don't try to get those people, that's a lost cause by merits of the game.

You're right it's a lost cause with those people. Just like MK still gets a lot of hate and downplay. We just have enough playing that the critics don't matter, we're at every major anyway. The DOA community needs to build up tournament numbers among those who will play it. If they can't then it's probably something about the gameplay and not the boobs.

Numb

That stigma is stuck from over the years. They think of DOA and that's all that comes to their mind. Nothing gets people's attention more than a new game. Clear it up with that.
Even SFV is doing stuff but people are cool with it.

ShinMaruku

You're right it's a lost cause with those people. Just like MK still gets a lot of hate and downplay. We just have enough playing that the critics don't matter, we're at every major anyway. The DOA community needs to build up tournament numbers among those who will play it. If they can't then it's probably something about the gameplay and not the boobs.
Well said. Just build up a scene and when it's large enough and it has developer support it will get shine. It's how DOA4 got shine Microsoft gave that game a lot of shine and bam it was in EVO and other things. Just a scene at critical mass and developer support will push it to join the ranks. But not until it's house is in order.

That stigma is stuck from over the years. They think of DOA and that's all that comes to their mind. Nothing gets people's attention more than a new game. Clear it up with that.
Even SFV is doing stuff but people are cool with it.
Common psychological trap that people will always look to what is in the past to keep up their disdain. Nevermind the hypocracy of them loving Mika's ass when DOA had the booty before it. Or the fact that Cammy started the boob bounce.It's what they have so they ignore the lewd stuff which is why Capcom missed the point when censoring it. Those guys will ignore that shit because it's sf. It's a human behavior trap.

Coda

I mean DOA 5 is one thing, but when you announce a new DOA Xtreme game, it's not helping the series image as something other than pervy. Just saying, I'm not one who thinks that, but the general public will.

Anne

You cant go from DOA4 and X2 to "we want to be taken seriously" just like that, then have 2000 skimpy costumes and X3 be a thing as well. Marie Rose being the face of things is just extra hilarious too.

Theres a whole nother set of stuff but I mean thats what the average person sees when they think of DOA.

I mean DOA 5 is one thing, but when you announce a new DOA Xtreme game, it's not helping the series image as something other than pervy. Just saying, I'm not one who thinks that, but the general public will.
I really hope that gets localized.

You cant go from DOA4 and X2 to "we want to be taken seriously" just like that, then have 2000 skimpy costumes and X3 be a thing as well. Marie Rose being the face of things is just extra hilarious too.

Theres a whole nother set of stuff but I mean thats what the average person sees when they think of DOA.
"taken seriously" is pretty irrelevant. The average person doesnt give a shit about the tournament scene either. The game needs to overcome the fact that the 3D scene is pretty weak right now. Even tekken has trouble pulling in competition. Its up to its own community to pull that together, the sales of the games surely arent holding it back.

ShinMaruku

The general public thinks Street Fighter is something inscrutable and difficult to get into and is not rewarding for the effort they would put in.

I just find it funny with the Mika love people would not just put perviness as something to put on the game. I mean shes lewd as fuck and seems fun to the people who like her. I hate grapplers so she missed on me.
Take that people who think I'd love her for being lewd! You guys should know better.

Numb

Adding fuel to the fire.

Common psychological trap that people will always look to what is in the past to keep up their disdain. Nevermind the hypocracy of them loving Mika's ass when DOA had the booty before it. Or the fact that Cammy started the boob bounce.It's what they have so they ignore the lewd stuff which is why Capcom missed the point when censoring it. Those guys will ignore that shit because it's sf. It's a human behavior trap.
It being the biggest thing in the public eye from a distance doesn't help much. That's all they'll see and think about. SF and others are getting away with it cos they have it in doses and don't put too much of a spotlight on them so when they have one it has extra hype. Revealing costumes and specific breast mechanics aren't advertised as such.

I know that CapcomProTalk is for twitch, but how am I supposed to listen to it if I miss it? It feels like it takes awhile for the capcom youtube page to upload it.

ShinMaruku

You see that's the thing, Hayashi is not the one to say "We want to be taken seriously" He's more like make people enjoy the game. If a game gets in on merits of gameplay then it should over take whatever stigma it has if you believe it's all about merits of gameplay
Nobody believes that truly. :E

I just want the game to remain stable as it goes and gets some shine at some events and it has been doing that dispite a hostile scene to it. If it keeps on the trajectory that it does from DOA5 to U to Last Round it should do fine in time.

There is indeed a fine game in there but I don't expect some to come to it regardless if the game is solid because "If the game is solid I'll give it time" is a empty platitude.

Thus I showcase it here for those who do give it a look. :)

Thanks for the clarification.
Was hoping it was the case. BB5 also sounds good if they are going that way.

I was talking with a friend yesterday about how the two new characters of BlazBlue (Naoto and Hibiki) look like they could be the new main protagonists if they had to reboot BlazBlue (probably with the Xrd engine). They both seem to share the personnality of Ragna and Jin, they have the same color code and Naoto's power is related to Ragna's. And from a character design perspective, they both look like more "actual" versions of Ragna and Jin, whose designs is starting to age a bit.

Numb

I was talking with a friend yesterday about how the two new characters of BlazBlue (Naoto and Hibiki) look like they could be the new main protagonists if they had to reboot BlazBlue (probably with the Xrd engine).

Could this actually be a thing? That's fantastic if so.
Seeing them take over for Jin and Ragna is what i would to see.

Malice215

I don't see people getting over the sexuality in DOA. We just had an episode of UltraChen yesterday leading off with Buttgate. Sexuality is still taboo in our society.

If you want to see DOA mainstream, then it starts with the developers designing a game that appeals to a wider audience who would want to come out of the house to play it competitively. With the way DOAX3 is going, I don't see the series appealing beyond the existing audience and those who are just interested in the fanservice. A little fanservice is fine which is why Street Fighter doesn't have the same stigma, and SFV can now get away with characters bouncing all over the place and people going crazy over Ryu with a beard.

Many players will disregard a game if the first thing that they see is fanservice, nor will they do much to actually get rid of the stigma that they may have for a game, so it starts with the people making the game if you want to see that changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom