• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

I need a guilty gear equivalent of Juicebox's sf4 footsie explanation. Closest thing is Nage's recent (awesome) blog post, but that really only explained one specific character archetype- I need a rosetta stone to understanding the general philosophy of the neutral across all characters.

Have you read LordKnight's SRK posts yet?

Neutral Part 1

Conditioning Part 1

Offense

Frame Data Checklisting

Learning A New Character

I'mma just use this post as an excuse to post them, because they're good editorials.

Anyone here going to play Blade Arcus From Shining EX when it launches next week on the 26th? Doesn't look as fast as Nitroplus, Dengeki, or Koihime Enbu which are its competition next month but looks solid enough. Wish it had more classic Shining Force characters though. All the new Shining games have been japan exclusive for awhile now.

I'm not. I love Tony Taka character designs and i can deal with the jank, but it not having any online is a real dealbreaker for me. Will only grab it if it comes to west and is discounted severely.

Coming back to this..

Claims
1st (Ally): 0%
2nd, 3rd, and 4th: 25%
5th, 6th, 8th: 100%

Can you imagine getting 1st place and winning nothing while the rest of the top 8 got paid lmao

Terra looks so good.

DamagedAptGosling.gif

Cloud best character

K.Sabot

So far all the Dissidia character trailers I've seen are just people doing lots of quick indiscriminate slashes and flying around. It's like everybody is doing Omnislash all the time and my eyes glaze over.

So far all the Dissidia character trailers I've seen are just people doing lots of quick indiscriminate slashes and flying around. It's like everybody is doing Omnislash all the time and my eyes glaze over.

Yea there's certain attack strings that look relatively the same.

What I'm going to miss are the finishing/burst attacks (forgot proper name)

Devid905

Ono and Dahlgren talks SFV from Paris (again): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...king-a-comeback-yoshi-ono-on-street-fighter-5

Snippets:
With the lack of an arcade version, you've given your friend Harada-san a free run - Tekken's everywhere in arcades in Tokyo.

Yoshi Ono: The Japanese arcade isn't what it used to be. I think there's a big difference between Capcom, Street Fighter and me and Namco, Tekken and Mr. Harada. We're in different situations - both companies run arcades in Japan, but the Capcom ones are going towards crane catchers and one-off cabinets. There's not much space for the typical arcade cabinet. That's the situation. The Namco arcades, they're still very much on the video game side, and Mr. Harada's giving it a good run with Tekken in the arcades, and more power to him for that, but we're not in a comparable situation.
Street Fighter 4 ended up with 44 characters, you've got 16 in V with six coming in the first year. My maths is terrible so I can't figure out how long it'd take you to get to 44.... How long will you support it for?

Yoshi Ono: A lot of it will depend on once the game's out in the wild, and if the model we make comes to fruition and I can be proven right about it being the right choice. Simple maths suggests it'd take five years to get to the roster of Street Fighter 4, and we want to keep the game going for that amount of time. We want to support it as long as we can, we honestly will have to see - we don't know anymore than anyone else does how it's going to turn out next February, once we do this completely new way of doing things.

Horseress

Six characters a year is A LOT imo

If the game's a sucess, we'll have a new character every two months for years to come

That's awesome from a fan perspective but tournament players won't be so happy about it

If the game's a sucess, we'll have a new character every two months for years to come

That's awesome from a fan perspective but tournament players won't be so happy about it

If it's balanced it can work.. you don't want to have a Tanya situation.

Pretty sure tournament players can adjust to a new character every 2 months pretty easily.

They can adjust to it the problem is when a new character comes in that is hilariously broken and up ends the tournament scene.

Capcom or TOs could do what Dota does. Disable certain characters in tournament play until they are considered balanced. Would be harder to accomplish though because there's a lot of offline play.

Yeah that's not going to happen, I'm sure they will be fixing broken stuff quick.

You have too much faith in Capcom.

Kikirin

An article that's probably of interest to some of you here, linked via Dustloop:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/303/G030342/20151110074/
In order to create such fighting games, someone must fulfill the role of "battle planner". Battle planners decide the game system and battle concept, and occasionally must conduct community discussions on game balance. They play an important role and share an intimate relationship with fighting game players. How do these battle planners normally think and approach their job?

4Gamer sat down with those responsible for battle design in Arc System Works' fighting games including Mr. Kazuto Sekine aka "Pachi," Mr. Ryohei Endo, Mysterious Masked Man No.1, along with Atlas' Masked Man No. 2, and soft circle French-Bread's Mr. Kamone Serizawa. These five men gathered to have a round table discussion concerning "battle planners."

We hope fighting game fans will read through the various topics discussed including: necessary skills for fighting game design, system trends, character creation, how game balance ought to be, and the future of fighting games.

Zissou

Neutral Part 1

Conditioning Part 1

Offense

Frame Data Checklisting

Learning A New Character

I'mma just use this post as an excuse to post them, because they're good editorials.

I have read them and there's definitely good stuff in there, but I still haven't found a core idea that unifies/distills the the neutral of guilty gear to a simple sentence or two like I have for street fighter or marvel. Will keep searching for that rosetta stone I guess

I have read them and there's definitely good stuff in there, but I still haven't found a core idea that unifies/distills the the neutral of guilty gear to a simple sentence or two like I have for street fighter or marvel. Will keep searching for that rosetta stone I guess
I actually break footsies and the neutral in every game as the following, generalized from SF:

Place Attack: an attempt to attack where you think your opponent will be in a moment.

Attack: an attempt to attack where your opponent currently is.

Counterattack: an attempt to counter a baited attack.

If you generalize these terms in SF, IMO, they work in every fighting game ever, and it is all about understanding the optimal needs of the opposing character along with your opponent's personal habits.

Zissou

I actually break footsies and the neutral in every game as the following, generalized from SF:

Place Attack: an attempt to attack where you think your opponent will be in a moment.

Attack: an attempt to attack where your opponent currently is.

Counterattack: an attempt to counter a baited attack.

If you generalize these terms in SF, IMO, they work in every fighting game ever, and it is all about understanding the optimal needs of the opposing character along with your opponent's personal habits.

Those are useful concepts, but I'm searching for something more specific, I think? It's hard to say what I'm looking for because if I knew, I wouldn't be looking for it.

El Sloth

Banned

shaowebb

I'm not. I love Tony Taka character designs and i can deal with the jank, but it not having any online is a real dealbreaker for me. Will only grab it if it comes to west and is discounted severely.

Undestandable. The same thing happened to Chaos Code and its a dealbreaker for most. Its not 1995 where a fighter could be offline and be something to still buy day 1.

There are a LOT of fighters these days you can play so its not rare for one to be out (especially anime) so its not like its the only option.
Where folks used to come over and play games as kids its more common now to just call up a bud and go online or just go online and play randoms with anyone. Its easier in fact to do this and you get more variety in your play so its the new standard. Plus since most of the old crowd has grown up online is the best way to play period due to schedule conflicts and lifestyle changes.

Good online is needed now. There just isn't a lifestyle that supports offline only games being able to grow their scenes these days...especially with less arcades than ever to additionally draw folks to a game they might also own at home as an outlet to prove their skills in public later after private practice.

I study meta on everything and spend my time using my footnotes to help me improve on design and have the income so I'll likely eventually gather up all the anime fighters coming this season, but I don't expect a lot of my time to stay on Blade Arcus or Chaos Code sadly.

Gotta saythough...Misty seems cool in Blade Arcus. Reminds me of Parasoul.

Going to my first local event tonight. It's not SFIV only but it's a free play Friday and there will undoubtedly SFIV there. There's also an SFIV tourney later this month. I've never entered a fighting game tourney. I know I won't win, but I need to brush up on my tactics and play by then. I know I have the tools. I just need more patience and confidence in my game. Played a Boxer the other day and rather than ducking into the corner panicking like usual, I held my ground, and whipped him. I didn't win the fight, but I got a round off it. I'm hoping playing locally can up help level up my game. It's a long shot but I'm looking forward to it.

Neutral Part 1

Conditioning Part 1

Offense

Frame Data Checklisting

Learning A New Character

Thank you for posting this. Seems helpful even if you don't play GG.

Regular balance changes and changes for a character that is "hilariously broken and up ends the tournament scene" aren't exactly the same.

It's never that simple.

A reasonable change to a dominating character is a good thing to some. To others it's my god I have to relearn the entire game fuck this patching why can't these scrubs just adapt.

I'm interested to see what Capcom does and how the community takes it.

BadWolf

It's never that simple.

A reasonable change to a dominating character is a good thing to some. To others it's my god I have to relearn the entire game fuck this patching why can't these scrubs just adapt.

I'm interested to see what Capcom does and how the community takes it.

The conversation was about releasing new characters every 2 months, so if one of those is very broken and they fix him or her quickly then I don't see an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom