• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaowebb

The artstyle alone did this to me for a while. Took me like a year to even give SF4 a go. Didnt like it afterward anyway

Yeah the artstyle made it pretty hard for me too. Them mammoth hands and feet looked so out of place. Plus it had some goofy facial selling on stuff. To each their own, but like I said I was into dudes like Silvestri and this was really out of my zone. Just couldn't stick to it much.

Mizerman

on... other non fetish specific related matters, or maybe more I dunno someone might be into this.

You ever avoided a fighting game character because they do nothing for you, they aren't bad its just that in a cast of visual interesting folk they are a solid ok. So i have been doing this with T hawk , and decided since I love his horror outfit, I'm going to play him. Oh god, I was wrong to avoid t hawk. He isn't my favorite grappler, but his ass just jumped like a buncha tiers.

T Hawk is one character I've never had any interest in. He was just...there.

petghost

Banned
im gonna go out on a limb and say that the main thing that seperates most people that play anime games and whether the game itself is considered anime is not mechanics but how much you dig anime aesthetics.

i think if blazblue looked like mk it would have a completely separate audience. if SF4 was an all girl cast and was super moe im pretty sure it would be have big representation in the anime community.

so yeah i dont think airdashes and all that define the genre and audience as much as aesthetics do.

Village

T Hawk is one character I've never had any interest in. He was just...there.

I understand, but his horror alt is damn amazing

rh7yopQ.png

And he plays pretty great, I just pretended he was a monstar.
HIs summer alt is alright , makes him look like l bravestar kinda.

im gonna go out on a limb and say that the main thing that seperates most people that play anime games and whether the game itself is considered anime is not mechanics but how much you dig anime aesthetics. .

But street fighter is arguably the most anime game of them all then, and Tekken.

on... other non fetish specific related matters, or maybe more I dunno someone might be into this.

You ever avoided a fighting game character because they do nothing for you, they aren't bad its just that in a cast of visual interesting folk they are a solid ok. So i have been doing this with T hawk , and decided since I love his horror outfit, I'm going to play him. Oh god, I was wrong to avoid t hawk. He isn't my favorite grappler, but his ass just jumped like a buncha tiers.
I think it's the same topic. You engage with a thing because you like something about it, you ignore flaws and problems because you like that thing enough. I mean the only reason I play EXVS is because I like Gundam.

Also I don't play uniel because the character designs do nothing for me
, and I got bodied pretty badly once.

Village

Juri consistently has the best alts.

She's has some very good ones, but I wouldn't call em the best.

Now balrog, balrog and Viper, all winners. All winners in the alt category. Even viper's funky Summer alt. I would put sakura on that list but sakura's horror alt makes her look like a jugalo and I don't know how I feel about that.

shaowebb

I think it's the same topic. You engage with a thing because you like something about it, you ignore flaws and problems because you like that thing enough. I mean the only reason I play EXVS is because I like Gundam.

Also I don't play uniel because the character designs do nothing for me
, and I got bodied pretty badly once.

Yeah I dont really dig most of the character design in UNIEL. The ladies look pretty darn generic especially. Really bugs me since I play Arcana Heart and thats pretty much "dull character designs" the game. I mainly play for mechanics though these days. I love researching and digging deep to find out tools and the meta surrounding them. What they promote in play and what they deter...its pretty fun for me to just fill up notebooks at work with thoughts to myself on things I've seen, played or considered because of some title I started browsing through. After awhile game design becomes more addictive than most of the games themselves.

I reaaaaaaaally think that if there were more user friendly systems in place for character creation and animating said creations folks would go nuts with indie fighters. Sad truth is, that while there are user friendly GUI setups for Unity, Engines for 2d and 3d, and various other things coming around its still a shitload of work to produce assets for fighters in either 2d or 3d. It'll forever be the thing that chases folks off dreams IMO. Not the code...the art.

It's a shame too because I've talked to fans at varying venues, locals, and forums and hearing what they would make for a fighting game if they could make one of their own is usually pretty wild and fun sounding. I've heard a lot of neat ideas for games and I wish all those dreamers had a way to make those dreams happen more readily. This shit is hard.

Village

I always see people say this, but they know damn well what's meant by "anime-looking," and they know damn well it doesn't mean "Street Fighter."

I know what I mean when I say looks like anime. And street fighter and Tekken fall under that category nicely.

Anne

Anime aesthetics actually aren't the reasons why I play anime fighters. They just let me do hilarious things to people so I have a lot of fun with them.

I know that it def attracts certain kinds of people though lmao

Village

Hawk legit had the worst alts until the Summer/Halloween sets.

His animal alt is aiight too, it just needs like a bird face. I hope if they go do these animal alts in 5 they actually give the characters who's costume works with it , an animal face. Well more of them,gens's costume actually gives him a goat face and it looks rad.

you aren't wrong, but I would argue that Gouken's alts are pretty nothing, besides his King Aquaman joint he got for the summer and his horror alt aswell.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Lucky guess just like all of my meaty dp's

I'm going to show you the power of my baldness soon.

M...meme?

Vulva-senpai <3

g++ is a part of gcc (which stands for gnu compiler collection though historically stood for gnu c compiler).

Well you can always set up the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the path of your libraries if you're just trying to do development and testing but definitely not good for a product you're trying to ship.

In the end I think you should just read up on the make utility and use makefiles to do all that stuff for you (once you set it up all you need to do is type 'make'). And then look up autotools if you're interested further on automating some of the processes involved.

I'm a lvl5 goblin tamer, I don't know how to do this yet... ;_;

The picture you guys have me in your heads is terrifying. I will let you know I am not as bad as you think I am. :E

Don't listen to the rest, they are probably just like you lol, at least for those that watch anime.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Don't listen to the rest, they are probably just like you lol, at least for those that watch anime.

I only watch good stuff like HxH none of that prison school garbage.
I read it, it's hilarious

Speaking of anime Nine's animations are awesome so much power being shown while still being super fanservicey lol. Can't wait for dizzy

Village

Gotta disagree with you on that one. His alts never did anything for me for the most part.

You know who had some alright, alts. Dee jay

petghost

Banned
Anime aesthetics actually aren't the reasons why I play anime fighters. They just let me do hilarious things to people so I have a lot of fun with them.

I know that it def attracts certain kinds of people though lmao

yeah im def not saying thats the case for all people... i think i like the wacky-ness and creativity in gameplay design most.

Anne

I think right now every anime game I see played around here is outdated by arcades.

P4U2, Xrd, BB, UNI, DFCI, AH3 are all outdated on console :v

petghost

Banned
Blizzard is pure addiction in videogame form. I can't believe they kept pulling me back into D3 with like, each patch, although not for long.

Diablo 3 is a weird one of those games because it doesn't hold your attention for very long per patch due to the lack of creativity players get with builds. Like last month I got back into it and was pushing greater rifts until I realized when everything was set the gameplay is pretty boring.

mbpm1

CurlyW

Speaking of the Ono thread, the Gerstmann/RT thread is also reaching ridiculous levels of bullshit.

I read this and thought "Why is there a situation between Jeff Gerstmann and Rotten Tomatoes?"

Then I thought "Oh, wait, did Jeff Gerstmann say something negative about Rising Thunder?"

Probably would've had to go through like 20 more possibilities before maybe hitting the right one.

Marz

Zangief and Guile have the best alts. All of them are quality.

Sagat would be up there but the hair one looks stupid as fuck.

Village

Zombie Clown Sagat is prob the most effective alt.

Only alt capable of bringing out (and causing) real personal trauma
Jugualo sakura is right there too
I dunno if i hate it or if its the best. Because they were problably, like with juri, going for a harly thing. But it just looks like some icp shit and its halarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom