• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinMaruku

Capcom's art team lost me when they made DJ's summer and hallowwen costumes. I don't want them touching a dude from Jamaica again. Rather than do that do what they know. I mean I can understand balrog and Dudley since they were boxers and that gives them some idea. But I doubt any of the capcom team has ever gone to Jamaica if they think this is what those insane people are.

K.Sabot

Balrog's "Halloween" costume though...

everyone else gets classic / scary monster themes and Balrog gets slightly darker skin and basketball attire.

reminded me of this

1415385536_how_to_scare_korean_women_in_korea.gif

ShinMaruku

I always have low expectations with their DLC. I know their art team is nowhere near Tekkens and DOAs and Arc Sys. Too bad 2 of those companies sometimes are sus and everybody hates team ninja. :p

ShinMaruku

So now that in Capcom cup SF4 is sun setting. How hype are you that something else is coming in? Or are you the people who go "Man SF4 was art" Nevermind the ungodly amount of revisions.

Personally I'd like it to go because it's warped some people and a good change at this period could also make a more open core set of people.

I only played SF4 because that's what some of my friends were dead-set on.

It can't go soon enough, honestly.

SF5 looks to reduce some of the bits i disliked most and it's at least not so fugly anymore. Even if it's a wash, perhaps then folks will try some new stuff. (Ha ha, who am i kidding? They'll go back to SF4. )

vulva

So now that in Capcom cup SF4 is sun setting. How hype are you that something else is coming in? Or are you the people who go "Man SF4 was art" Nevermind the ungodly amount of revisions.

Personally I'd like it to go because it's warped some people and a good change at this period could also make a more open core set of people.

Yes

Mizerman

I'm bored of SF4. Completely bored.

Can't wait to get my hands on SFV.

petghost

Banned
im most interested and hopeful about how sf5 might effect the fgc at large honestly... i hope it brings in new folks and helps blow up the scene.

talking w/ friends and looking back, nobody has any drive to really play sf4 or truly loved it.

It should go when people stop showing up for tournies for it and people stop playing and dont enjoy it anymore. Not because of sf5 or for sake of change.

We all want new stuff to play of course. I enjoyed and liked sf4 through its life, even with its many flaws. I didnt play it just cause. I dont have enough free time for that.

I will see how i divide my time up. Sf5 will probably take most of it and i wont have time for sf4. But would still want to play it i think here and there.

Or sf5 will make me hate sf4, who knows.

It's probably easier to maintain interest in a game when you have a local community that hypes you up to play it since you're not just playing a game but playing the community game too.

I'm still loving SF4 because I'm still learning the fundamentals. I also haven't played it as much as you guys so there's that.

I'm looking forward to SFV a lot because it means it levels the playing field and it will be the first time I buy a fighter with the hopes to take it seriously as a competitive game.

As someone who loves fighters, I've never bought a fighter on day one besides MvC3.

On USFIV now, every knows the intricacies of all these characters and stuff. What I'm looking forward to is learning these character with the community as we try to understand the game systems. So I'm really looking forward to it based on that tidbit alone. I love the community aspect of these games right now, and the community aspect is kind of absent when everyone knows how the game systems work and everyone knows their favorite character and blah blah. I feel left out of the adventure.

This will be my first time, as a serious player, seeing all of this from day 1.

I'm really excited.

Marz

SFV is not going to level the playing field. There's guys out there that have been playing SF for like 25 years.

Youll get an influx of scrubs and newer players so it will seem easier for the first year or so.

Anne

As someone who loves fighters, I've never bought a fighter on day one besides MvC3.

On USFIV now, every knows the intricacies of all these characters and stuff. What I'm looking forward to is learning these character with the community as we try to understand the game systems. So I'm really looking forward to it based on that tidbit alone. I love the community aspect of these games right now, and the community aspect is kind of absent when everyone knows how the game systems work and everyone knows their favorite character and blah blah. I feel left out of the adventure.

This will be my first time, as a serious player, seeing all of this from day 1.

I'm really excited.

Protip: things are gonna move at lightspeed so be ready to prowl social media to grab stuff as it happens.

Anne

I'm also excited that there will be no focus attacks because they're shit.

Any suggestions? SRK? Twitter?

SRK forums are ass. Fromt page pulls stuff of social media but cant get everything. Twitter, FB, Youtube come first if you can, then tart checking sites and forum digging. Make a google doc or something and start dumping info and links into it. I use evernote because its shares between my phone and PC :p

Assuming they don't fuck it up (which they sorta did in beta 2 so yeah), once you've learned how to use training mode properly most of the time it will prove more efficient than wading through pages of bullshit tweets and posts anyway.

I'm still loving SF4 because I'm still learning the fundamentals. I also haven't played it as much as you guys so there's that.

I'm looking forward to SFV a lot because it means it levels the playing field and it will be the first time I buy a fighter with the hopes to take it seriously as a competitive game.

You remind me of myself when I first playing Blazblue: Calamity Trigger. That's the first game I played where I wanted to actually learn the game's mechanics. Prior to that I would just mash in any fighting game I played (except for stuff like Soul Calibur 3 for example, where I would pick a custom character with the lance and ring out my friends at the start of the round repeatedly).

FGW is also playing the community game

To be honest I cannot compare posting on forums and playing online to going to a place and playing with familiar and new faces in person. It's a different experience. I think offline stuff has a greater effect than online only stuff because it's more personal.

Although for some of us that's pretty much the only choice we have. Not that that's a bad thing.

petghost

Banned
oh man the discovery period of a new fighting game is like my favorite thing ever. im very excited for that to happen with sf5

thats what i imagine sucks about playing arc games or whatever jp games get lengthy arcade releases before western releases... dont you miss out on that period?

mbpm1

To be honest I cannot compare posting on forums and playing online to going to a place and playing with familiar and new faces in person. It's a different experience. I think offline stuff has a greater effect than online only stuff because it's more personal.

I meant it as a pun bc we are now in the Community Forum.

Watch this thread

Does this make me...one of you?!

6Evundf.gif

You remind me of myself when I first playing Blazblue: Calamity Trigger. That's the first game I played where I wanted to actually learn the game's mechanics. Prior to that I would just mash in any fighting game I played (except for stuff like Soul Calibur 3 for example, where I would pick a custom character with the lance and ring out my friends at the start of the round repeatedly).

I didn't mash but I wasn't using any actual game plans. The strategy, spacing, footsie stuff was completely lost on me and that stuff has made me fall in love and want to improve as a player.

Anne

Figuring stuff out yourself is good, but no need to do the work if somebody else already did it. Juat be smart and training mode stuff so you can evaluate if it's good and how to apply it.

Marz

Figuring stuff out yourself is good, but no need to do the work if somebody else already did it. Juat be smart and training mode stuff so you can evaluate if it's good and how to apply it.

Or be like 95% of the online population and jump straight into ranked to be massacred.

Anne

Or be like 95% of the online population and jump straight into ranked to be massacred.

I'm not gonna lie, I'll spend maybe an hour or two figuring out basic answers/options/bnbs/set ups and then just start trying to do stuff at offline meet ups :p no time to waste.

The way I do it is if I can be playing, I'll be playing. If I'm at school or out or something and I have time to dig, I'll dig and save stuff I find for later. Once I'm done playing or in a situation where I can't play but can training mode, that's when I start doing stuff. Unless I find something that I really need to learn before next time I play I just start squeezing it in as I go.

ShinMaruku

SFV is not going to level the playing field. There's guys out there that have been playing SF for like 25 years.

Youll get an influx of scrubs and newer players so it will seem easier for the first year or so.
The new blood is the leveling of the field. If numbers are good old heads will stay where they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom