• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main difficulty I see with 2 on 2 simultaneous as a design is that this point:

^creates unblockable left/right, high/low, guaranteed throw setups. Also one knockdown and you can team up on his wakeup and ruin him for life.

This would mean that to create a 2 on 2 simultaneous you would have to specifically design the title with a very specific set of checks and balances all unto itself since it wouldn't be able to function in the traditional manner anymore.

Likely you would need some combination of:
  • block button or shield. Something that could cover your ass for the unblockable setups possible in this environment.
  • unique mobility tools designed to make it into a chase scenario more often than a "pinned down by bodies" scenario. Whether this means wave dashing, air dashing or long range rolls would likely be specific relative to the offense at play.
  • possibly counters would be needed to handle the pressure possible in these games or some kind of trump card option like a teleport or meter for armor.
  • Debatable whether such a title could be done 2.5d on a health based system entirely. Ring out works like in smash, but you may need more than just depleting someones health to win if you mainly want to make it a title based on health bars and not ringouts though.
  • specific as shit offense. Possibly high recovery on melee moves on block to alleviate potential permanent lockdown scenarios. It'd be better to test more defense and mobility options though than to make offense weak.

2 on 2 simultaneous doesn't get tackled often because its a whoooooooole other list of things to stack on top of an already tricky genre to nail down well. It could work and be fun, but it'd take a LOT of testing before beta to have a system of checks and balances that'd be solid IMO. I'd be interested to see more attempts at it. You'd definitely earn some praise and respect if you pulled it off well.

You're correct that there are unique considerations to 2 on 2 games that must be taken into account when designing the mechanics. Plugging a normal 2D game into it just gets you stuff like MUGEN where whoever can lockdown the other side first wins for example.

The game ideas I think of usually correspond to whatever kind of media I've been looking at recently which is why I linked the video. If I ever obtain the chaos emeralds and become a game developer I'll consider taking a crack at it, or at least experiment with some ideas.

I can't get over Mika's victory pose in SFV. Her pal patting her on the back too hard, her recoiling and being all "what the fuck, girlfriend?", the wink.

It makes me LOL every time.

Numb

Make it to winner's final in Ultra local tourny just to lose 6 straight rounds.
mjcry1.png

Ibuki can go straight to hell. Atleast came in 3rd with ghetto vanilla tactics so that's something.

Anne

Make sure to check some vids of SonicFox being an absolute savage with him. This wiki also has a good breakdown of all his attacks with some bnbs along with a decent brief breakdown of how he plays in neutral and his okizeme: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Under_Night_In-Birth/Carmine

Be careful with Sonicfox, he actually didn't play the character in the best of ways in some areas. 2GB and Notes are the ones that really showcase the character doing all the nutso stuff.

Archive of Notes matches.

Numb

Harsh =(

Getting third is pretty good though. 'grats~

Got a gamestop gift card.
Lesson is don't let the dude that works at gamestop run shit.
Everyone in top 3 gets gift cards each tournament we have lol. Unfortunetely we can't stop him now since it's too late.

Marz

Make sure to check some vids of SonicFox being an absolute savage with him Edit: or just listen to Anne. This wiki also has a good breakdown of all his attacks with some bnbs along with a decent brief breakdown of how he plays in neutral and his okizeme: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Under_Night_In-Birth/Carmine

Be careful with Sonicfox, he actually didn't play the character in the best of ways in some areas. 2GB and Notes are the ones that really showcase the character doing all the nutso stuff.

Archive of Notes matches.

Ok so check out 2GB and Notes on how to optimally play the character, then check out some SonicFox for a different take? Gotcha

shaowebb

You're correct that there are unique considerations to 2 on 2 games that must be taken into account when designing the mechanics. Plugging a normal 2D game into it just gets you stuff like MUGEN where whoever can lockdown the other side first wins for example.

The game ideas I think of usually correspond to whatever kind of media I've been looking at recently which is why I linked the video. If I ever obtain the chaos emeralds and become a game developer I'll consider taking a crack at it, or at least experiment with some ideas.

I'd like that a lot :)
Its completely different once you start to build something for yourself. It starts as an experiment then you just sort of spend more and more time with it. Eventually you never want to stop and it consumes most of your thoughts and even when its work its fun and you feel really proud and good about your life the more you do it. Its like falling in love. After getting into it myself I always hope to see more and more of the creative players get into it. Start experimenting with tools, play with them, try to learn neat and cool things to do with your engine and see what you can come up with sometime.

For 2d I highly recommend Construct 2 and Gamemaker if you have little to no code experience. Unity is beginning to get good user friendly GUI that generate code for stuff for you like Universal Fighting Engine, but its still mainly 3d stuff as that GUI hasn't fully implemented any 2d stuff yet (though Unity has 2d, does it well and others are building stuff for various genres to plugin to Unity to use as a GUI design layout full of tools).

Keep your dreams on hand because maybe you'll get to use em someday if we're all lucky.

For 2d I highly recommend Construct 2 and Gamemaker if you have little to no code experience. Unity is beginning to get good user friendly GUI that generate code for stuff for you like Universal Fighting Engine, but its still mainly 3d stuff as that GUI hasn't fully implemented any 2d stuff yet (though Unity has 2d, does it well and others are building stuff for various genres to plugin to Unity to use as a GUI design layout full of tools).

Keep your dreams on hand because maybe you'll get to use em someday if we're all lucky.

Gamemaker seems to be the best for this, Rivals of Aether is done with it.

And Shao, since we're talking engines and stuff like that, how would you organize your code for a fighting game? I mean from an object/classes perspective? Been wanting to start coding something like that but I don't have much time and don't want to waste too much of it by falling into too much noob stuff.

Numb

14hr stream? oh boy.
holy shit im sleepy right now
Cindi, i think even spooky might put it on his channel. The english version.

El Sloth

Banned
Uniel looks fun. Looks like a lot of options for fighters these days.
It's not a bad game to go from sf since it has a bigger emphasis on the ground game than bb or gg thanks in large part to not being able to block grounded normals in the air. You can shield projectiles in the air tho
Ok so check out 2GB and Notes on how to optimally play the character, then check out some SonicFox for a different take? Gotcha
yeah p much. You've seen the beginner's workshop already, right? Good primer on all the systems.

Sakamoto and the metroid team were actually heavily involved in the creation of that game. Sakamoto was also the one who insisted on using only the Wiimote to play the game.

Metroid Other M would've been 100% better without Sakamoto.

Oh, didn't know this, for some reason(I'd blame Ninja Gaiden fans more than Nintendo fans for this >__>) I was under the impression that it was all Hayashi's fault, especially the story. Looking it up, even the story was Sakamoto's doing!

Blame Hayashi for anything but the story. The story is Sakamoto, through and through.

When a game about exploring alien environments has as its mission statement to answer the question "what kind of woman is Samus Aran" you know the fate of the game.

Similar thing with Starcraft, actually. Brood War was about building the world of Koprulu Sector. Wings of Liberty was about characters, and Heart of the Swarm wanted to answer the question "who is Sarah Kerrigan?"

/headdesk

Numb

My PS4 is ok Shin but EU.
Playing with US and even my character select screen lags to the point i pick other people by accident.

That Devil Jin destroyed the other team.

lol they weren't lying about people never getting to play as their mates destroy whole teams before they get the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom