• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like that a lot :)
Its completely different once you start to build something for yourself. It starts as an experiment then you just sort of spend more and more time with it. Eventually you never want to stop and it consumes most of your thoughts and even when its work its fun and you feel really proud and good about your life the more you do it. Its like falling in love. After getting into it myself I always hope to see more and more of the creative players get into it. Start experimenting with tools, play with them, try to learn neat and cool things to do with your engine and see what you can come up with sometime.

For 2d I highly recommend Construct 2 and Gamemaker if you have little to no code experience. Unity is beginning to get good user friendly GUI that generate code for stuff for you like Universal Fighting Engine, but its still mainly 3d stuff as that GUI hasn't fully implemented any 2d stuff yet (though Unity has 2d, does it well and others are building stuff for various genres to plugin to Unity to use as a GUI design layout full of tools).

Keep your dreams on hand because maybe you'll get to use em someday if we're all lucky.

Thanks for the recommendations. It's probably something I won't get into anytime soon, right now I'm focusing on trying to get into art as I think that's my main interest, of course there's nothing wrong with complementing that with other knowledge. Considering the close relationship between art and coding when it comes to games it's something I'll likely end up looking at in the future as I've always had dreams of being a character designer for a game or making one of my own. In order to accomplish something like that though I'll need to get kick myself into high gear since I tend to waste quite a bit of time that I could be putting towards more worthwhile pursuits than refreshing forums for hours.

Not that browsing forums is bad it's just that I do an unhealthy amount of it.

I remember you mentioned something a long while ago about you and Q working on a game. How far along is it? Still in the experimental stages or is it something you think you could actually release given enough work/time?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Is there actually a decent place for fighting game news or analysis anywhere?

Ultrachen and UltraDave always stream on a Tuesday I think, only place I know of. Also Honzo does something among those lines on the iplaywinner youtube channel. Marvel minds is a new thing on Spooky too. All of those are weekly.

shaowebb

Thanks for the recommendations. It's probably something I won't get into anytime soon, right now I'm focusing on trying to get into art as I think that's my main interest, of course there's nothing wrong with complementing that with other knowledge. Considering the close relationship between art and coding when it comes to games it's something I'll likely end up looking at in the future as I've always had dreams of being a character designer for a game or making one of my own. In order to accomplish something like that though I'll need to get kick myself into high gear since I tend to waste quite a bit of time that I could be putting towards more worthwhile pursuits than refreshing forums for hours.

Not that browsing forums is bad it's just that I do an unhealthy amount of it.

I remember you mentioned something a long while ago about you and Q working on a game. How far along is it? Still in the experimental stages or is it something you think you could actually release given enough work/time?

Got a lot of the design done in notes so we know what I'll be making and he'll get to tune up. Got the engine. Began tuning up things in its physics awhile back and testing the pipeline in the engine to make certain stuff can transfer into it and not be busted (3d...it happens). Got a lot of the concept art pieces, finalizing a few pieces, several in various states of modeling and one I can animate now but want to place more controllers on. More maps preferred too on that one...also various keyframe sketches and silhouette tests. So like ...several things in various states of activity in models at the moment. Tons of work and it'll take years, but I got em to spare. I'm employed outside of this so I wont go hungry to take my time and do it between shifts. Just sucks when I work 21 ten hour shifts in a row with no days off sometimes. Draining as hell on creativity.

Still, some watch movies, some work on cars, I work on this. Its my thing when I get home. That and taking occassional evenings to study designs and metas built into other fighters and for various fun stuffs like music, musou or bullethell :)

Honestly, if I could move to a more populated area that has stuff like game jams I'd like to do so. It'd help if I could make some friends with some drive that also are employed enough that this wouldn't be a make or break thing for them to help with. It'd help to find a rigger. I hate setting up muscle weighting, constraints, and slide controllers for baked poses.

Got a lot of the design done in notes so we know what I'll be making and he'll get to tune up. Got the engine. Began tuning up things in its physics awhile back and testing the pipeline in the engine to make certain stuff can transfer into it and not be busted (3d...it happens). Got a lot of the concept art pieces, finalizing a few pieces, several in various states of modeling and one I can animate now but want to place more controllers on. More maps preferred too on that one...also various keyframe sketches and silhouette tests. So like ...several things in various states of activity in models at the moment. Tons of work and it'll take years, but I got em to spare. I'm employed outside of this so I wont go hungry to take my time and do it between shifts. Just sucks when I work 21 ten hour shifts in a row with no days off sometimes. Draining as hell on creativity.

Still, some watch movies, some work on cars, I work on this. Its my thing when I get home. That and taking occassional evenings to study designs and metas built into other fighters and for various fun stuffs like music, musou or bullethell :)

Honestly, if I could move to a more populated area that has stuff like game jams I'd like to do so. It'd help if I could make some friends with some drive that also are employed enough that this wouldn't be a make or break thing for them to help with. It'd help to find a rigger. I hate setting up muscle weighting, constraints, and slide controllers for baked poses.

Damn, that's pretty hardcore.

The thing is you can either pursue things as like your career or something on the side while you support yourself with something else.

It's really up to each person as to what approach they want to take. Some people find success by going all in while others prefer to go for security and use their spare time to work on things.

Right now I guess I'm trying at the second approach but not doing so well in the "using my spare time appropriately" part. I feel like things would take off for me if I put my 100% behind this but at the same time I feel apprehensive.

If in a year or two I somehow become really good I wouldn't mind contributing if possible if you're open to it. Of course, that's not a direct promise or anything, since I really can't predict how things will be a year or two from now.

If this ever comes to fruition, can I voice the villain? :-D

Shun

Those wacky-ass costumes can be great, but sometimes I have no idea which characters those guys are using.

It shows on the health.

Anyway Tekken has the most pretty characters in fighter game.

Like most Tekken characters with the exception of the animals can pull off as some clothing model and are attractive.

Like Hwoarang and Lee and Asuka and Leo and etc. damnnn.

I'm gonna press the button on Uniel.

Emphasis on spacing, few air defense options, emphasis on ground gameplay than aeial offense, balance between grounded fighter and air dashers.

shaowebb

If this ever comes to fruition, can I voice the villain? :-D

I got so much ahead of me to do I don't even know how long it'll take given I STILL got to animate them once they're all rigged and control setup, tweak those for timing, create hit spark effects, create the hit/hurtbox stuff, setup alllllll the knockback and damage rates per move, and thats all before all the rest of the stuff like scaling, max height, walk/run whatever speed and all that is settled.

By that time I couldn't promise anyone anything lol. Like I said, its just what I do now. It took something like a year and a half to two years to get this far I think...maybe longer. Still nothing playable, but the foundation I've laid on some parts of the work flow have dramatically changed how fast I can do some of the stuff I do now. Still got a lot of bridges to cross later down the road once it comes time for anything needing coded in from scratch. My brother in law codes for a living though so I'll be using what I've learned and him to help me put together things as I get goin. Trick is when you're stuck to just realize you need to get better and keep studying and working on it.

All I know is I look forward to when I can actually show anything. At my output rate if I started tossing out art and hard data it'd either
1) turn into mighty no 9's "we're tired of teasing" bullshit
or
2) have various things slowly ripped off before I can release it myself...my fear is the concepts being stolen...poor Panzerfaust's design was swiped pretty heavily before he could ever be a character. I don't want that to happen to the stuff I'm doin.

All I can say is this...people hit each other in this game. They fall down. The winner was better at the hitting part I guess. :)

I got so much ahead of me to do I don't even know how long it'll take given I STILL got to animate them once they're all rigged and control setup, tweak those for timing, create hit spark effects, create the hit/hurtbox stuff, setup alllllll the knockback and damage rates per move, and thats all before all the rest of the stuff like scaling, max height, walk/run whatever speed and all that is settled.

By that time I couldn't promise anyone anything lol. Like I said, its just what I do now. It took something like a year and a half to two years to get this far I think...maybe longer. Still nothing playable, but the foundation I've laid on some parts of the work flow have dramatically changed how fast I can do some of the stuff I do now. Still got a lot of bridges to cross later down the road once it comes time for anything needing coded in from scratch. My brother in law codes for a living though so I'll be using what I've learned and him to help me put together things as I get goin. Trick is when you're stuck to just realize you need to get better and keep studying and working on it.

All I know is I look forward to when I can actually show anything. At my output rate if I started tossing out art and hard data it'd either
1) turn into mighty no 9's "we're tired of teasing" bullshit
or
2) have various things slowly ripped off before I can release it myself...my fear is the concepts being stolen...poor Panzerfaust's design was swiped pretty heavily before he could ever be a character. I don't want that to happen to the stuff I'm doin.

All I can say is this...people hit each other in this game. They fall down. The winner was better at the hitting part I guess. :)
In 10 years, I'll still want to do it. :p

Shun

hU2YBj0.gif
When you tiger knee and you plus on block.

When you tiger knee through focus.

When Rockets fans complaining that Harden didn't charge and that Calderon flopped.

Koreans still da best at taken?

Nobi is my Tekken hero. His Dragunov is so fun.

from EVO

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Shao's characters = Darkstalkers tier

not shown for good reason

A lot of TLC goes into the designs
and it's a damn honor to help give input and see stuff take shape

This slow motion shit in Tekken 7 makes matches thrilling as SHIT to watch. Just watched one slow motion clip where it looked like Paul was going to hit his opponent, and it ended with a stalemate. They went back to neutral and then it went back to slow motion, with Paul going for the kill.

Exciting!

This slow motion shit in Tekken 7 makes matches thrilling as SHIT to watch. Just watched one slow motion clip where it looked like Paul was going to his opponent, and it ended with a stalemate. They went back to neutral and then it went back to slow motion, with Paul going for the kill.

Exciting!

Grats on member status, by the way.

Lulubop

This slow motion shit in Tekken 7 makes matches thrilling as SHIT to watch. Just watched one slow motion clip where it looked like Paul was going to his opponent, and it ended with a stalemate. They went back to neutral and then it went back to slow motion, with Paul going for the kill.

Exciting!

I agree, this is the most watchable Tekken I've seen. The graphics do play a part too.

El Sloth

Banned
Does Uniel have a healthy online game population?
I'd be lying if I said it did. I can still find people when I hop online, but absolutely nowhere near to what I'd personally call "healthy". If online is important then maybe it'd be better to go for BB or GG instead. Although, I've heard the quality of GG's netcode ain't the best? You should ask around first. Those sales will be up for a bit (12/31) so you don't have to rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom