• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
watching old Alpha 2 high level videos, thinking this gotta be Capcom's design philosophy for SF5. Not a lot of combos, not a lot of specials, or parries, or setplay or focus attack dash cancels. Just dudes hitting buttons at the right time and shit. Birdie just hits buttons at the right time and he wins. Super grab punishes, anti-airs, air-to-air, just controlled spaces with buttons.

Well, what about Ryu's parry V-skill?

Shun

The Tekken thread seems to have people dislike custom costume options, as if it takes away from a game and makes it less appealing?

I don't understand the sentiment because I think all the crazy stuff you can do in Tekken is part of the fun and is fun to watch.

It's a bonus to what is already hype about Tekken.

Are you adverse to custom costume options at all because I think it's fun...

This picture perfectly captures my excitement for Nine:
CUHia64VAAACULs.png:large

I showed Roman the Sorceress and he immediately went "Ooo ooo!"

hey so did you end up eating more of the placenta? that nurse was going to make it into pills right?
I just tried the bit of jerky for the experience. We actually still have some pills laying around.

0gWrfjt.gif

I'm not even going to be near my WiiU for the next week and a half, so not gonna bother with Discord for a while.
:-D

Click below to watch Daigo get lit the fuck up by Kazunoko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyHYqKj8UPA
Speaking of "lit", has anyone ever heard "that is lit", as in "that is cool"?

Shun

Yea i dont like custom costumes at all. Sfxt made my eyes bleed.

I don't mean making the skin options neon green, I mean like different clothes and hairstyle and accessories.

I think the way Tekken has done it for the past decade has been fine and I actually like it. Why should a competitive game be purposely overly serious?

The competitive aspect is serious enough with how tough matchups are and how fun it is to watch and play, I see nothing wrong with rolling with being silly and making out of place costumes and characters.

The Tekken thread seems to have people dislike custom costume options, as if it takes away from a game and makes it less appealing?

I don't understand the sentiment because I think all the crazy stuff you can do in Tekken is part of the fun and is fun to watch.

I like them. I don't like being stuck with the developers idea of the character. I like to put my own spin and take on the character. I love doing that in VF. Since VF is dead I will continue the tradition in T7.

When is T7 getting released on console anyways?

Lol here we go again.

Someone dig up my old post

Juicebox! Just wanted to let you know how much your video on poking opened up and gave me new enjoyment of the genre. THANK YOU!

peter0611

Lots of people complain about Blanka's Brazilian alt and how "disruptive" it is on the eyes and making sense of the character's hit\hurtboxes. So a custom costume would have to be disruptive to gameplay for me to object to it. Otherwise, go crazy with all the big jewelry and booty shorts.

I don't mean making the skin options neon green, I mean like different clothes and hairstyle and accessories.

I think the way Tekken has done it for the past decade has been fine and I actually like it. Why should a competitive game be purposely overly serious?

The competitive aspect is serious enough with how tough matchups are and how fun it is to watch and play, I see nothing wrong with rolling with being silly and making out of place costumes and characters.

I love customization options. I filled up all my slots with customs in SCV, and i really enjoyed not being tied to, say, fugly undead pirate if i wanted to play a certain style.

So i think Tekken doesn't even go far enough. I want to make genderbender Jin or make a Hwoarang custom that looks like Juri or whatever. I want the custom hairdos to look just as good as the basic ones instead of plastered on with an obvious visible gap. I want some real good alt costumes, not just a cowboy hat or some belts. Things like that could be improved.

That said, the flapping fairy wings to hide your hands during throws and the dumb equipped weapons are obnoxious. And i do feel all the bright purple bondage gear characters don't do the game's visuals any favors. In SCV it was even worse with people equipping huuuge accessories to hide the whole character and make them very hard to fight.

What i want more than anything is the ability to preview the opponents custom, so i can revert them to the default appearance if necessary before the match starts. That would weed out the trolling and leaves everyone free to do as they please.

cj_iwakura

I find it sad that I learned about playable Nine from here and not any of the BB threads, none of the BB regulars even seem to care.

Anne

I thought the BBCPE thread was for BBCPE stuff :p

You could make an ASW community thread if you want but what's the point when we have FGW? Everything gets discussed in here anyways.

Sayah

If you like having the game's visual appeal completely ruined, sure. You really saying this wouldn't be distracting to you when playing a match?

DadwCBN.png

Shun

We had a news thread, I posted it here to when the news leaked.

It just dies fast.

As for Soul Calibur I love Bannam games, I mean I play Tekken and Gundam and iDOLM@STER and other shit like Tales and Wangan Midnight but for some reason I could never get into Soul Calibur.

I played Soul Edge when I was younger and I thought it was okay but I just could never get into the subsequent games.

Is there a way to enjoy it? I always felt that the combat was slower and feels clumsier than I'm used to? I'm probably wrong about it being clumsier but it just always felt off to me.

Are the more recent ones any good?

They dislike them because customs do that. Then again, Tekken doesn't have an aesthetic to ruin to begin with, so that's something that ought to be fixed first.

Because freeform customization destroys any sense of a coherent aesthetic the game could ever have. Far too many people consider "random incoherent shit slapped together" and "looks good" to be the same thing.

To use my favourite example. Soul Calibur is a medieval/victorian inspired fantasy swordfighting game. When the game launched, I could hop onto a lobby and witness Shaq Fu dualwielding battleaxes fighting against Sephiroth. Bad luck? Next day, who do I see? James T Mother***** Kirk.

Free custom costumes in Tekken and Virtua Fighter are uniformly atrocious nonsensical filth or things deliberately designed to obscure your character's animations, oftentimes both.

Customs can go rot somehwere.

Shun

If you like having the game's visual appeal completely ruined, sure. You really saying this wouldn't be distracting to you when playing a match?

DadwCBN.png

It's first and foremost an option. It's service.

I mean no one raised any complaints during the gamenewton stream for MasterCup both this year and last year. I don't think Green Arcade people really care when a good amount of the best players have weird and out of place customs on their banapass.

I don't think it's ever been a real issue or distraction and it is the least of the franchises's problems going forward, especially when Mastercup garnered over 950+ players in teams to play and a vast majority had customs on their banapass.

Why restrict fun? Is it because the Western audience doesn't take it seriously enough because I don't really see an issue. You can't really equate that to asses and tits flying around in DOA or panty shots in your every day fighting game.

The wacky stuff is a bonus, the gameplay and spectacle has always been first and foremost.

I find it sad that I learned about playable Nine from here and not any of the BB threads, none of the BB regulars even seem to care.

I care...and I made the last BB OT. I just didnt figure posting BBCF news in a BBCPE thread

I thought the BBCPE thread was for BBCPE stuff :p

You could make an ASW community thread if you want but what's the point when we have FGW? Everything gets discussed in here anyways.
Is the BB OT active?

We had a news thread, I posted it here to when the news leaked.

It just dies fast.

As for Soul Calibur I love Bannam games, I mean I play Tekken and Gundam and iDOLM@STER and other shit like Tales and Wangan Midnight but for some reason I could never get into Soul Calibur.

I played Soul Edge when I was younger and I thought it was okay but I just could never get into the subsequent games.

Is there a way to enjoy it? I always felt that the combat was slower and feels clumsier than I'm used to? I'm probably wrong about it being clumsier but it just always felt off to me.

Are the more recent ones any good?
Yah, it died fast. Would have stayed alive if you didn't complain about the conversation.

Shun

Is the BB OT active?

Yah, it died fast. Would have stayed alive if you didn't complain about the conversation.

If it wasn't me it would have been someone else calling him out on saying that the two ASW games are the same. Don't blame me when I tried to keep it going for news.

We don't need people to continuously repeat the notion that games play same or extremely similar just because they share a few common mechanics.

Don't push that shit on me when the Nine conversation continued after that.

Why restrict fun? Is it because the Western audience doesn't take it seriously enough because I don't really see an issue. You can't really equate that to asses and tits flying around in DOA or panty shots in your every day fighting game.

People complain because to their eyes it looks like shit. It's not much of an issue in Tekken because Tekken doesn't look like anything to begin with nowadays, but if the game actually had an aesthetic customs kill it, instantly. Most people seem to love the nonsense to bits, to my eyes it looks absolutely hideous. Animated Christmas trees fighting would look more aesthetic and sensible.

AAK

I mean no one raised any complaints during the gamenewton stream for MasterCup both this year and last year. I don't think Green Arcade people really care when a good amount of the best players have weird and out of place customs on their banapass.

I don't think it's ever been a real issue or distraction and it is the least of the franchises's problems going forward, especially when Mastercup garnered over 950+ players in teams to play and a vast majority had customs on their banapass.

The wacky stuff is a bonus, the gameplay and spectacle has always been first and foremost.

You talk about gameplay and spectacle on one hand, these obtrusive and ridiculous troll carinival of stupid customs obstruct from that. Let me ask you, what is happening here:

CTDwlT2VAAA0HLU.jpg

CTDwl_dVAAA9hD-.jpg

CTIBTnRUEAAdaA6.jpg:large

It reaches a breaking point where enough is enough. Tekken 6 customization is A-OK. They had really good options and nothing was so obnoxious that it detracted from appreciating the game while TTT2 and now T7 just go overboard.

No one is saying kill customizations. Just make it like Tekken 6 and all will be fine in the world.

AND BTW you're wrong, A LOT of people raised their concerns both this Mastercup and ESPECIALLY last mastercup. Nobi's Lars/Dragunov custom outfit was even worse in last year's Tag2 top 8 and there was a good amount of people that voiced their disapproval.

cj_iwakura

Wangan Midnight, now that has to be the most underrated series ever. No one here even knows what it is(or at least cares).

How come?
Games and updates are frequent for BB or is it a thing of hanging out in multiple places

Hated on by most of the FGC, and the community itself is very fickle. ASW doesn't help with all the revisions, either.

Sayah

So if you're okay with rainbow colored Gigas, I imagine you're also okay with neons in SFXTK.

jVhMO.jpg

Yeah, you can have fun with your wacky stuff but I'd rather not be distracted or blinded by super sharp, bright colors while I'm playing.

The problem with Tekken 7 isn't just that it has bad customs. The problem also is that it's recycling over 90% of its stuff from TTT2, which is a 3 year old game that had its customs outsourced and they only were tolerated by fans like me because of 4 characters on screen. The Tag 2 stuff looks completely ugly and out of place in Tekken 7.
Without customs, Tekken 7 is probably the most beautiful fighter in the market right now.

Now if everyone in the world could have good taste and create customs like the Shaheen below, I would be on board.
11334636_720179154776568_974218594_n.jpg

But unfortunately, most people are going to mix the most ugly combination of colors and items into a costume, like the Kazuya below.
tekken7-color-customize.png

Numb

Wangan Midnight, now that has to be the most underrated series ever. No one here even knows what it is(or at least cares).

Hated on by most of the FGC, and the community itself is very fickle. ASW doesn't help with all the revisions, either.
I see.
The revisions and constant updates are not good but it should be good for discussion.

Anne

How come?
Games and updates are frequent for BB or is it a thing of hanging out in multiple places

There are very few dedicated fighting game players on GAF, let alone those that will stay in an OT, let alone that of a niche subgenre with too many games.

Shun

I don't think a lot of people know arcade games. I enjoy both Wangan Midnight MaxiTune and Initial D. I think the music in the former is better but the latter plays better.

Lord of Vermillion just got a new game, re:3.

Gunslinger Stratos 3 is getting a loketest in 10 locations starting January 7.

MaiMai has been getting updates. There's a whole new world.

cj_iwakura

I don't think a lot of people know arcade games. I enjoy both Wangan Midnight MaxiTune and Initial D. I think the music in the former is better but the latter plays better.

I love both OSTs(and games), but I like the vibrant city more than Initial D's lonely mountains. MT really feels like you're racing through full-on traffic, nothing comes close to recreating it. (I'm also a sucker for the crazy story beats.)

At least Initial D has CS versions, though. I don't know what Namco is on in regards to neglecting Maximum Tune.

Anne

Only as far as 'how much was my main nerfed this time'. (Constantly)

Anime players fixate so much on balance and technical details whenever revisions come. Mostly cause it's the only thing to really talk about and is easy to observe when you can't play it orz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom