• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would not be surprised at all if they're jumping straight into Smash 5 development, since they likely still have a large chunk of the team intact.
MtG question:
I was looking at top 2015 pro tour decks, and I notice that all but 1 of the top decks are creature-based. Back in the day, it was all about OP combinations with enchantments, artifacts, and other non-creature stuff to control the game. Has MtG undergone a massive change in the meta?

Dahbomb

I get the impression that they're spooked at what happened in the late 90s and also a few years ago where the market was just flooded and nothing could really get any traction. Fighting games (and videogames in general) are not fungible, but there are only so many people who will buy/play them and they only have so much time to play, so the more titles you roll out the less likely any one of them can hit any real critical mass.
That's pretty much what happened during the SFxT era.

At least that's what Capcom cited as the reason for SFxT flopping.

MtG question:
I was looking at top 2015 pro tour decks, and I notice that all but 1 of the top decks are creature-based. Back in the day, it was all about OP combinations with enchantments, artifacts, and other non-creature stuff to control the game. Has MtG undergone a massive change in the meta?
Sounds like Hearthstone.

kirblar

MtG question:
Yes. Creatures have been dramatically strengthened, and they've pulled back on the other types. (Wrath of God is now a 3(M)(M) baseline instead of a 2(M)(M) baseline, for instance.) Combo almost never hits in Standard, its still all over Modern/Legacy.

WarRock

At that point you might as well add DMC characters and call it Capcom All Stars.
Eh. Even if they put all DMC4SE playable characters in it, that would hardly be a Capcom All Stars in game, in the same way that the first Capcom vs SNK was basically SF vs KoF, but I get your point.

Honestly, I don't see why not go full arena fighter and develop a new Power Stone as a Capcom All Stars. Power Stone 2 supported some cool team battles (and even cooler bosses that are fun as heck to play against in coop). Team based games are all the rage now, and Capcom has the character designs and playstyles to pull it off.

Is b tier crap like Bloody Roar actually needed though?
Yes.

It brings new ideas and styles to the genre. It helps the consumers to understand what is mediocre and what is above it.

Yes. Creatures have been dramatically strengthened, and they've pulled back on the other types. (Wrath of God is now a 3(M)(M) baseline instead of a 2(M)(M) baseline, for instance.) Combo almost never hits in Standard, its still all over Modern/Legacy.
Average mana cost also seems a lot, lot higher in these decks. I looked at a few top decks and thought "Wow, in the old meta the game would have ended before they had the pool to play half of this". Lots of 4 and 5 cost creatures - blew my mind.

I feel like any of my old deck from the Urza cycle could destroy these with ease. They'd have no chance against a Wildfire deck. Also, I noticed that green gets all kinds of creatures immune to counterspells. What's with that bullshit? Control decks must be dead. Counterburn used to be my groove.

shaowebb

Yoooo...we talking Capcom vs Capcom? Because it NEEDS to happen. Props to Dahbomb though for pointing out that most of what folks look for is actually an IP on indefinite hold, though.

Things they have currently are:
  • DMC
  • Dead Rising
  • Lost Planet
  • Monster Hunter
  • Dragons Dogma
  • Megaman (sorta kinda)
  • Asura's Wrath (maybe sorta?)
  • Street Fighter
  • Resident Evil
  • Remember Me

So I would expect something from those to show up.
Now lets look at a list of the stuff they own thats less likely to show up they can dip into for such a game.
wx0jAvo.jpg

And I know theres more than those as well, but geez I love to showcase the library that company just sits on. Its an incredible waste to not do something that showcases all these incredible things from their history.Do this as a "Capcom Generations" title and have it be the old vs the new in the vs style.Make us unlock and collect memorabilia and shit from the games the cast are drawn from. Bring back Heroes/Heralds using said memorabilia for boosts and such...anything. Just do something that highlights your history capcom. Remind folks what you gave em and see if you can get an idea of what they want to see back the most from the talk surrounding such a game.

Man...I can't even name all the cast I'd want from these lists. So many characters...

kirblar

Average mana cost also seems a lot, lot higher in these decks. I looked at a few top decks and thought "Wow, in the old meta the game would have ended before they had the pool to play half of this". Lots of 4 and 5 cost creatures - blew my mind.

I feel like any of my old deck from the Urza cycle could destroy these with ease. They'd have no chance against a Wildfire deck. Also, I noticed that green gets all kinds of creatures immune to counterspells. What's with that bullshit? Control decks must be dead. Counterburn used to be my groove.
Yeah. It's for the best - I managed to play Counterburn for a few weeks about 3 years ago before the meta shifted to adjust for it (there was an anti-counterspell land for creatures), and it was absolutely soul crushing for people to play against.

peter0611

I'm playing BBCSE on Steam just to mess around with the different modes, and I really like the strategy section for each character. Knowing right off the bat what the general gameplan is with Tao from within the game is neat. Goes a little beyond the generic "do these impractical combos on a dummy".

petghost

Banned
I get the impression that they're spooked at what happened in the late 90s and also a few years ago where the market was just flooded and nothing could really get any traction. Fighting games (and videogames in general) are not fungible, but there are only so many people who will buy/play them and they only have so much time to play, so the more titles you roll out the less likely any one of them can hit any real critical mass.

yeah its perfectly reasonable to be spooked but i also think that companies like arcsys have proven that you can have multiple franchises active at any point in time and have them all be successful to varying degrees.

Shao, the real question is: who is worth putting in the game that isn't in UMvC3? We should compile a shortlist. IMO, only half those franchises are worth representing. Also, IIRC Capcom doesn't actually own the rights to Chaos Legion. At least, that's what folks used to say during MvC3 vanilla development.

Yeah. It's for the best - I managed to play Counterburn for a few weeks about 3 years ago before the meta shifted to adjust for it (there was an anti-counterspell land for creatures), and it was absolutely soul crushing for people to play against.
No disagreement there. I even felt bad playing it against my opponents, and it's really not fun. Still, green having so many creatures immune to counterspell is pretty ridiculous. No wonder why I didn't see a lot of blue in decks. I remember playing people with my Worship deck, and that's just downright unfair for people without a disenchant.

Nightii

Banned
Kinda late but man! I would be so down for a Bloody Roar reboot! I loved Primal Fury and the series concept overall.

...the very real possibility of the whole furry aspect being cranked up to 11 is scary, though.

jerry1594

Probably the only way they can make a Darkstalkers only game at this point.

Darkstalkers "Featuring Dante/Vergil from the DMC series"
That would kind of suck. If they made a nice looking game like Xrd I think they could rope in some of the anime crowd. Too bad Capcom's artist talent is dry as hell now.

WarRock

Shao, the real question is: who is worth putting in the game that isn't in UMvC3? We should compile a shortlist. IMO, only half those franchises are worth representing. Also, IIRC Capcom doesn't actually own the rights to Chaos Legion. At least, that's what folks used to say during MvC3 vanilla development.
Capcom doesn't own the rights to Strider too.

Man it depresses me that God Hand came out in 2006 and we only have hope of Gene maybe showing up in a cross over games sometime in the future... He almost made the cut in UMvC3, and if that game had dlc he might have made it in... RIP the best 3d brawler ever made..

NEO0MJ

Kinda late but man! I would be so down for a Bloody Roar reboot! I loved Primal Fury and the series concept overall.

...the very real possibility of the whole furry aspect being cranked up to 11 is scary, though.

Bloody Roar was the bee's knee. I guess it was helped by the fact that the GC barely had any fighters.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm playing BBCSE on Steam just to mess around with the different modes, and I really like the strategy section for each character. Knowing right off the bat what the general gameplan is with Tao from within the game is neat. Goes a little beyond the generic "do these impractical combos on a dummy".

But fighting games have bad tutorials!
jk only capcom games

Shun

My dream fighter would be

1. Fire Emblem made by ASW.

and

2. A Super Robot Wars fighting game. Gundam vs. Evangelion vs. Buster Machine vs. GaoGaiGar. vs Macross vs. Mazinger/Mazinkaizer etc.

Either in the vein of Gundam Vs style or a different kind of game. Would be so much robot heaven and service I would die happy.

Alternatively if Project x Zone was possible in 2D fighting form I would cry too.

Man it depresses me that God Hand came out in 2006 and we only have hope of Gene maybe showing up in a cross over games sometime in the future... He almost made the cut in UMvC3, and if that game had dlc he might have made it in... RIP the best 3d brawler ever made..

God of War (pick one) and Bayonetta are both better than God Hand ever will be.

Nightii

Banned
I still have fever dreams of a new one starring Captain Falcon being made, all because of that fan-made box art.

The game industry is not fair man...

Dahbomb

Bad camera
Bad controls

Barely any story to get attached to

It's Capcom's answer to MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero. But at least that game had the lore going for it.

I can respect a game with little to no story as long as everything else is good, but GH can't even do the other things well.
EleGiggle times 1000. Keep the troll up.

Nightii

Banned
I have gone through many hours of fun playing God Hand, and I have yet to truly get tired of it.

Ergo, it's a good game in my book, and I will forever have delusional hope of getting a sequel/remake/CapFalcon version someday.

Dahbomb

It's not a troll, I'm 100% serious. God Hand is not a good game. It's fun, but it's not good. I'm legit surprised that a theory fighter isn't interested in counter-arguments, and is (once again) going to the "how dare you" well.
I can counter argue all day if you presented something worth counter arguing.

Both God Hand's controls and camera are among the best in the genre. The game is well designed around both of these elements to the utmost degree. Dodging is responsive is hell, canceling is on point allowing you to weave in and out of offense seamlessly. Bad controls indicate that either the control options are non intuitive (irrelevant because you can actually custom fit your character with the moves on particular buttons) or they lack responsiveness/tightness which would mean that Godhand has unfair difficulty but it definitely does not as if you are skilled enough you will never get hit and play like a god. So I completely disagree on your first two points to support your argument that it's not a good game.

The point about camera is also not something I can agree with. It always faces in one direction (facing in front of you) and you have full control over it. The camera doesn't spazz out, zoom out or in too much, it is perfection. Pretty much every action game struggles with their camera in some capacity, Godhand struggles the least with it.

The 3rd point you brought up about story applies to pretty much every action game made so it's not really a Godhand exclusive problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom