• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Now if everyone in the world could have good taste and create customs like the Shaheen below, I would be on board.
Won't happen. People like dumb shit too much. Even MM was saying that they try to see what they can get away with as their username and these are top players. Ofcourse they'll have the whackiest stuff on customs.

There are very few dedicated fighting game players on GAF, let alone those that will stay in an OT, let alone that of a niche subgenre with too many games.

There are some fighting communites that would love to have the problem of too many of their games. (VF)
I'm still looking at my clock for ASW to pick up Jojo away from CC2.

Marz

Most fighting game discussion threads on here are pointless.

Most posts are either complaining about a new version or character begging.

Theres no discussion about actual gameplay because most people on here dont actually play. Theres like 5-10 anime guys on here who know what theyre talking about.

Shun

So if you're okay with rainbow colored Gigas, I imagine you're also okay with neons in SFXTK.

Yeah, you can have fun with your wacky stuff but I'd rather not be distracted or blinded by super sharp, bright colors while I'm playing.

The problem with Tekken 7 isn't just that it has bad customs. The problem also is that it's recycling over 90% of its stuff from TTT2, which is a 3 year old game that had its customs outsourced and they only were tolerated by fans like me because of 4 characters on screen. The Tag 2 stuff looks completely ugly and out of place in Tekken 7.
Without customs, Tekken 7 is probably the most beautiful fighter in the market right now.

Now if everyone in the world could have good taste and create customs like the Shaheen below, I would be on board.

But unfortunately, most people are going to mix the most ugly combination of colors and items into a costume, like the Kazuya below.

You talk about gameplay and spectacle on one hand, these obtrusive and ridiculous troll carinival of stupid customs obstruct from that. Let me ask you, what is happening here:

It reaches a breaking point where enough is enough. Tekken 6 customization is A-OK. They had really good options and nothing was so obnoxious that it detracted from appreciating the game while TTT2 and now T7 just go overboard.

No one is saying kill customizations. Just make it like Tekken 6 and all will be fine in the world.

AND BTW you're wrong, A LOT of people raised their concerns both this Mastercup and ESPECIALLY last mastercup. Nobi's Lars/Dragunov custom outfit was even worse in last year's Tag2 top 8 and there was a good amount of people that voiced their disapproval.

I don't see it anything other than Claudio's rage art considering how cinematic it is.

Anyway I was going off the tone of the thread because I got the impression that we should completely do away with some of the wackier customs. Which I disagree because they should stay in to keep the game fun and lighthearted with banapass. I do agree that obtrusive customs should be revamped or removed.

I mean I'm only going off of stream comments for gamenewton. I didn't follow the other green arcade or spooky streams. I didn't really find an issue with it and I didn't notice a huge spike in complaints when people continue to do it.

I think neons are fine so long as you don't change the skin color or vibrancy too high. In how many cases are people going to have balloons and extremely obtrusive customs? For the most part it is fine.

But shit like the chicken custom where you send a chicken out to attack, where you throw a pizza at the opponent, where you shoot a gun. Those should stay regardless of how impractical they are because it's service.

It's fun. It adds something little extra.

cj_iwakura

Theres no discussion about actual gameplay because most people on here dont actually play. Theres like 5-10 anime guys on here who know what theyre talking about.

We have some amazingly skilled BB players here, which makes their lack of participation kind of baffling to me.

RoeBear, for instance, is godlike at Carl and Relius, and Fugu is a terrifying Litchi(though I think he stopped playing BB).

Numb

Issue with the customs is that they are 90% old stuff and completely useless to anything.
They just copy and pasted old stuff.

We have some amazingly skilled BB players here, which makes their lack of participation kind of baffling to me.

RoeBear, for instance, is godlike at Carl and Relius, and Fugu is a terrifying Litchi(though I think he stopped playing BB).
ive played a long set with roe, I can play decently against his carl, but his relius wrecks me

Dahbomb

Tekken customization shouldn't be forced on the other guy playing online. Like I don't want to see the other guy's eye sore of a costume design, I only want to see my stuff.

cj_iwakura

Tekken customization shouldn't be forced on the other guy playing online. Like I don't want to see the other guy's eye sore of a costume design, I only want to see my stuff.

What's the point, then? It's like buying a DLC costume and not getting to show it off. I like seeing how creative players get.

Numb

You should see SC.
Voldo with dick shaped cushions.Scary stuff.
Am i even allowed to post that here?

It's fun. It adds something little extra.

More like it detracts from fun and adds a lot of incoherent nonsense that completely breaks any sense of immersion the game's managed to build.

I've seen some great customs. I've seen a zombie Akira in samurai garb, for example. I've seen characters clad like mafiosos in a way that realy works. I've seen the occasional Soul Calibur character reimagined as something different but still fitting into the setting, something with a strong concept.

These have been a small, vanishingly small handful of actually amazing, tasteful customs that have been done. I've also seen Shaq Fu and Captain James T. Kirk of Starship Enterprise in historically themed swordfighting game. And these were actually well put together pieces, just completely unfitting in the context they'd been put in.

Sadly, most customs aren't even that good. They're not just out of place pieces.

The overwhelming majority of custom costumes consist of throwing every glowing blinking accessory under the sun onto the character to the effect where they pretty much look like neon diarrhea. In the VF case, they look like someone blindly raided a wardrobe, took as many bling accessories as they could and strapped an irritating moe-bot on their back because the eye-murder just wasn't enough.

Customs are a beautiful idea, but suffer from a mass of people with no taste or sense of appropriate style.

Shun

You should see SC.
Voldo with dick shaped cushions.Scary stuff.
Am i even allowed to post that here?

Going to ask again because I am not very acquainted with soul series

I love Bannam games, I mean I play Tekken and Gundam and iDOLM@STER and other shit like Tales and Wangan Midnight but for some reason I could never get into Soul Calibur.

I played Soul Edge when I was younger and I thought it was okay but I just could never get into the subsequent games.

Is there a certain way to enjoy it or play it? I always felt that the combat was slower and feels clumsier than I'm used to? I'm probably wrong about it being clumsier but it just always felt off to me.

Are the more recent ones any good?

Dahbomb

What's the point, then? It's like buying a DLC costume and not getting to show it off. I like seeing how creative players get.
People can have an option to enable seeing other people's creations. And there should be an option to disable it.

And it's not the same as DLC costumes because DLC costumes are at least designs by professionals... some of these creations make the overall game worse for a lot of people.

And that's why previews on the character select screen with the option to revert the other guy to defaults before the match would be a good idea.

Is there a certain way to enjoy it or play it? I always felt that the combat was slower and feels clumsier than I'm used to? I'm probably wrong about it being clumsier but it just always felt off to me.

SCV is amazing. Best gameplay that series has ever had. A lot of people are sour over the lack of a decent story and old favorite character being replaced by new ones, but i've never missed anything in that game.

But it may not be to your tastes. I've never thought of it as slow or clumsy. The online is a wasteland now of course.

Anne

There are some fighting communites that would love to have the problem of too many of their games. (VF)
I'm still looking at my clock for ASW to pick up Jojo away from CC2.

See, here's the problem. I don't think of all anime games as my games, I only really like and play FB and ASW games. I think Examu's output post AH2 is all awful, and outside of small doujin exceptions I can't think of anything else worth playing.

Games outside of my scope don't really benefit me that well to be honest, it's competition and dividing players. This is why I don't like the "anime" tag and I like the way Japan classifies it based on who develops it. Even then, the 3 ASW games are large enough on their own they cause splits and cannibalize each other lol

Numb

Going to ask again because I am not very acquainted with soul series

I love Bannam games, I mean I play Tekken and Gundam and iDOLM@STER and other shit like Tales and Wangan Midnight but for some reason I could never get into Soul Calibur.

I played Soul Edge when I was younger and I thought it was okay but I just could never get into the subsequent games.

Tekken is my main Namco game but played SC too some.
Gameplay in 5 is real good. People don't like that the roster got changed up so hard but that won't have any negatives to you since it's been a while.

Dahbomb

Soul Calibur is cool.

Movement in the 3D space is more natural than in Tekken with the side walks and stuff. There is way less of that wave dashing stuff in SC.

Character designs are pretty cool and varied in SC. Not just the characters but the weapons each character has... they are essentially a character by themselves.

The art, presentation and music is usually really good with the series.

I did stop playing at SCIV though. All of the SC games are decently good and best of all you can just play through their single player modes as they are usually pretty meaty. They have you go through battles with some stipulations (like fighting while being poisoned or enemies only getting damage through horizontal attacks or in the air). It sort of teaches you the game as you play.

Numb

See, here's the problem. I don't think of all anime games as my games, I only really like and play FB and ASW games. I think Examu's output post AH2 is all awful, and outside of small doujin exceptions I can't think of anything else worth playing.

Games outside of my scope don't really benefit me that well to be honest, it's competition and dividing players. This is why I don't like the "anime" tag and I like the way Japan classifies it based on who develops it. Even then, the 3 ASW games are large enough on their own they cause splits and cannibalize each other lol

Good way to think.
On the extreme opposite end here lol. When i think about them i just think about the genre itself and every game in it as my own.
Ofcourse you gotta have a main game but then trying everything and wanting even more new ones and the older dormant ones coming back. Personal enjoyment of my fav genre has been more important than splitting or any cannibalizing that goes down. This cannot be maintained tho since it ain't the 90s anymore or that boom that happened after SFIV and we had a ton of games the years following. Hope SFV brings the same.
disclaimer: trying to play everything makes you shit at everything

Marz

Ive always wanted a 2d SC game. Nightmare and Astaroth in glorious 2d? Yes plz.

Edit: theres still a fighting game "boom"

New sf
New tekken
New kof
New gg
New bb
New smash
Random ass fighters

What more do you want?

Anne

New sf
New tekken
New kof
New gg
New bb
New smash
Random ass fighters

What more do you want?

Less random, bad games and more focused localization and continued support efforts. Tbh I think Capcom, NRS, and Nintendo are doing okay right now, but I need Namco and ASW to really step up :<

Dahbomb

New sf
New tekken
New kof
New gg
New bb
New smash
Random ass fighters

What more do you want?
A new VS game for starters. Ayyyy

Numb

New sf
New tekken
New kof
New gg
New bb
New smash
Random ass fighters

What more do you want?

Indeed there are. Alot of them are coming from the last boom and doing sequels to those games so you can't expect more.
What's needed is stuff getting rebooted like KI.
Bloody Roar,Weaponlord, new VS stuff, SNK doing anything non-KOF etc
SC6 too i'm still waiting for.
Nah, it makes you mediocre at everything but as long as you play a lot i feel like you can learn pretty decent fundamentals and also the skill to pick up new games quickly. Both of those are pretty nice to have.
lol
Learning new stuff has always been fun.

Numb

Basically. The only announced thing I can think of is Revelator in 2016.
Yeah i gave up importing stuff.
Blade Arcus in that boat.
But then if you don't import and wait for the localized one they would have already made moves in the new one.
Dang

edit

is anyone even touching that Blade arcus game?

petghost

Banned
I'd like to see capcom be more adventurous with their fighting game ips. They gotta ton of stuff to work with and I think they are starting to realize that the fg market is pretty dependable.

Shun

No since day one the original Blade Arcus was lackluster and I am amazed that it is getting an update via EX.

But Sega can eat the cost of making another game for sales because Shining is profitable and Tony ero art for Blade Arcus sells and makes money.

Who knows, UNIEL sucked before exe:late and st, but I have no faith in Sega for this fighting.

Dahbomb

Capcom fighting game IPs:

Darkstalkers = Indefinite hold
Power Stone = Indefinite hold
Star Gladiators/Plasma Sword = Indefinite hold
VS series = Indefinite hold unless Marvel/Disney/SNK/Namco wants to do something about it
Red Earth = Indefinite hold
Cyberbots = Indefinite hold
Rival Schools/Project Justice = Indefinite hold

Every single fighting game IP of Capcom is on indefinite hold at the moment except SF. I didn't use the word dead because it has become a stupid joke at this point and no IP of Capcom is truly dead because they can just bring it back. It's never that unlikely especially since something like MVC3 did happen after so long.

I think Capcom has the best shot at having a big fighting game if they attempt a Capcom All Stars using the VS system. Most of these fighters I listed have very little draw but them combined plus the various other Capcom IPs can create a big fan service game.

Numb

No since day one the original Blade Arcus was lackluster and I am amazed that it is getting an update via EX.

But Sega can eat the cost of making another game for sales because Shining is profitable and Tony ero art for Blade Arcus sells and makes money.

Who knows, UNIEL sucked before exe:late and st, but I have no faith in Sega for this fighting.

Hope it's good. The vids of it looked real good(graphics) but felt real slow.
I don't know what the animation they are using is but it feels weird.
It's a bad game based on a series of games that were never localized releasing without netcode for full price.
lol WTF
Hell no
Glad i didn't import it blind.

I think Capcom has the best shot at having a big fighting game if they attempt a Capcom All Stars using the VS system. Most of these fighters I listed have very little draw but them combined plus the various other Capcom IPs can create a big fan service game.

That would have to acknowledge Mega Man as a character, so it can't happen

But it would be dope for them obviously, since they can do as much fuckery as they want without Marvel's license/consent. They one of the few non-Nintendo companies that can even do an All-Stars fighting game.

I play!

Working my meaty defense and combos in training mode for Poison.

Shun

Tony's art is incredible at least but yeah that game is not okay.

No I am still legit amazed that Sega is funding and making an updated version considering the reception at gesen.

But I know why because the characters and art sells.

I hope Sega's next Shining game is decent. Resonance was decent but disappointed me as much as Zestiria did.

WarRock

Capcom fighting game IPs:

Darkstalkers = Indefinite hold
Power Stone = Indefinite hold
Star Gladiators/Plasma Sword = Indefinite hold
VS series = Indefinite hold unless Marvel/Disney/SNK/Namco wants to do something about it
Red Earth = Indefinite hold
Cyberbots = Indefinite hold
Rival Schools/Project Justice = Indefinite hold

Every single fighting game IP of Capcom is on indefinite hold at the moment except SF. I didn't use the word dead because it has become a stupid joke at this point and no IP of Capcom is truly dead because they can just bring it back. It's never that unlikely especially since something like MVC3 did happen after so long.

You brought up Red Earth but not Tech Romancer? For shame.

And VS is really dead without licenses? I mean, SF vs VS or whatever could be a thing. Uh, "vs VS". That was not supposed to be a pun.
And yeah, you brought up All Stars but, really... Capcom is not going to use all those other non fighting IPs man. Besides RE and MonHun, what are they going to pull? CapCom and Dino Crisis? Let's be real. MvC3 cast was already impressive enough.

Dahbomb

Also the team format allows them to do something that most other 1v1 fighters can't which is true team play (yeah yeah I know other fighting games have done it like the Gundam games and even SFxT).

Like each player controls a character on the team. Hell you could go one step further and make it so that support players have a more limited role (like a support player can only call assists, tag in, DHC, cross counter but can't call assists) on the team. This is similar to the Starcraft 2 system where you can sort of coach new players by playing with them (but doing most of the heavy lifting) yet still have them contribute in some meaningful way.

There's just so much untapped potential in the team based system of VS games, it's a shame that Capcom doesn't expand upon it. Stuff like H&H is also a great fit for these types of games as a fun casual mode that you can add more stuff in via DLCs which also enables people to theory craft on team builds continuously.

And before people say "well most of the Marvel players aren't going to play this game because it doesn't have Magnegro and Sentajamal" and to that I say it's foolish to think that people like Yipes and KBrad are not going to be hyped up for Capcom All Stars if it has Dante/Vergil in it. If it's one thing that MVC3 did right is that it exposed players to these characters especially within the FGC and a Capcom All Stars can build off of it very well.

I mean, SF vs VS or whatever could be a thing.
At that point you might as well add DMC characters and call it Capcom All Stars.

Marz

Indeed there are. Alot of them are coming from the last boom and doing sequels to those games so you can't expect more.
What's needed is stuff getting rebooted like KI.
Bloody Roar,Weaponlord, new VS stuff, SNK doing anything non-KOF etc
SC6 too i'm still waiting for.
lol
Learning new stuff has always been fun.

Is b tier crap like Bloody Roar actually needed though?

I'd much rather have the current lineup of developers and games that have been refined with decades of experience than some reboots of fighters that nobody cares about and will not play for more than a month.

Now if new studios want to try and bring out a new IP be my guest.

Dahbomb

Chaos Legion protag for Capcom All-Stars
As much as I want Sieg in a Capcom All Stars type game that wouldn't happen because that is yet another licensed character they would have to get. It's based off of some novel so it's not really an IP Capcom holds. Also why we won't see a Chaos Legion 2 anytime soon (RIP in peace).

Killer Instinct was B tier crap too. Things change over time and it's actually better to remake games that had some cool concepts but weren't all that fleshed out back in the day.

Bloody Roar had a cool gimmick and I wouldn't mind seeing it return. As long as they don't dial the furry fetish to 11 in it to get some extra sales.

As much as I want Sieg in a Capcom All Stars type game that wouldn't happen because that is yet another licensed character they would have to get. It's based off of some novel so it's not really an IP Capcom holds. Also why we won't see a Chaos Legion 2 anytime soon (RIP in peace).

shit

welp, Final Fight 2 Carlos Miyamoto for All-Stars

latest

Numb

I'd much rather have the current lineup of developers and games that have been refined with decades of experience than some reboots of fighters that nobody cares about and will not play for more than a month.

Now if new studios want to try and bring out a new IP be my guest.

Might get a good reboot. Got the base already with old stuff that people know instead of coming up with everything. Don't forget KI
You'll never know. As long as people aren't given console exclusive excuses that is.
New stuff is good too tbh

Kumubou

New sf
New tekken
New kof
New gg
New bb
New smash
Random ass fighters

What more do you want?
To start with, how about more 3D fighters and 2D anime games that are not from ArcSys.

I'd like to see capcom be more adventurous with their fighting game ips. They gotta ton of stuff to work with and I think they are starting to realize that the fg market is pretty dependable.
I get the impression that they're spooked at what happened in the late 90s and also a few years ago where the market was just flooded and nothing could really get any traction. Fighting games (and videogames in general) are not fungible, but there are only so many people who will buy/play them and they only have so much time to play, so the more titles you roll out the less likely any one of them can hit any real critical mass.

kirblar

Would not be surprised at all if they're jumping straight into Smash 5 development, since they likely still have a large chunk of the team intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom