• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

DunpealD

EX Moves giving projectile invincibility is a huge part of why I dislike SFIV.

Do you mean that those EX Moves are bad for the fireball game?
I don't think it will make that much difference compared to SFV, considering a lot of the cast has ways around them. At least against shotos. Laura, Charlie and Dhalsim are less affected by those.

Also I nearly forgot, Chuns fireballs go fullscreen when in V-Trigger. Is that a new buff?

Do you mean that those EX Moves are bad for the fireball game?
I don't think it will make that much difference compared to SFV, considering a lot of the cast has ways around them. At least against shotos. Laura, Charlie and Dhalsim are less affected by those.

Also I nearly forgot, Chuns fireballs go fullscreen when in V-Trigger. Is that a new buff?
The ways around fireballs are mostly neutral resets, though. Nothing like a fireball counter into hard knockdown. Yeah, I like fireballs, so I am not a fan of how EX stuff often works in SFIV. At the same time, I usually end up maining a non-fireball character because SF is usually unkind toward them.

DunpealD

EX moves and Ultras. Capcom plz, I just want to chuck fireballs at people.

I quite like SF4 though.

Ultras aren't that potent and need to be spaced correctly for majority of the cast. There is a reason why Momochi is like the only Ken who utilizes U2 as anti fireball.

The ways around fireballs are mostly neutral resets, though. Nothing like a fireball counter into hard knockdown. Yeah, I like fireballs, so I am not a fan of how EX stuff often works in SFIV. At the same time, I usually end up maining a non-fireball character because SF is usually unkind toward them.

Ah yes, there is certainly no hard knockdowns so far. But to be fair in USFIV there are barely any EX anti fireball moves that leads into hard knockdown.
Funny thing is ST is pretty fireball friendly.

mbpm1

2 rounds of patient, carefully spaced gameplay.
Then in the last round I get a lucky sweep like 5 seconds in, counterhit with meaty attack into knockdown, bait reversal attack into full punish into stun, game.

This is why I like fighting games.

Marz

Ultras aren't that potent and need to be spaced correctly for majority of the cast. There is a reason why Momochi is like the only Ken who utilizes U2 as anti fireball.

Ah yes, there is certainly no hard knockdowns so far. But to be fair in USFIV there are barely any EX anti fireball moves that leads into hard knockdown.
Funny thing is ST is pretty fireball friendly.

Yea dont agree with this at all. Kens U2 isnt that good but their are plenty of anti fireball ultras that are really good.

Marz

2 rounds of patient, carefully spaced gameplay.
Then in the last round I get a lucky sweep like 5 seconds in, counterhit with meaty attack into knockdown, bait reversal attack into full punish into stun, game.

This is why I like fighting games.

Try playing super defensive all set and then last round go ham for the jugular.

People get mindfucked.

Ranked is not faster than endless. If you've got just you and another person, endless is fast as hell. Meanwhile, ranked will have lots of unable to joins. Also endless is better for learning the game because if you have a group of two or three people who play with you consistently you form rivalries to strive to get better. Fighting dudes better than you all the time on endless is humbling. Ranked doesn't have as nearly a personal or social experience.

Endless is the superior mode and most of the best players I know hardly use ranked.

smurfx

get some go again
alright bought my ps4 and hopefully i'll get another sf5 beta code from amazon. do new ps4's come with any psn plus time?

Ranked is not faster than endless. If you've got just you and another person, endless is fast as hell. Meanwhile, ranked will have lots of unable to joins. Also endless is better for learning the game because if you have a group of two or three people who play with you consistently you form rivalries to strive to get better. Fighting dudes better than you all the time on endless is humbling. Ranked doesn't have as nearly a personal or social experience.

Endless is the superior mode and most of the best players I know hardly use ranked.
If you have a lot of unable to joins you should probably check if your firewall is configured properly. Ranked is the only way to get a variety of players in a short period of time. And if endless allowed you to fight other players instead of waiting in queue it would be superior...

DunpealD

I play against Seth a lot.

That makes sense.

Yea dont agree with this at all. Kens U2 isnt that good but their are plenty of anti fireball ultras that are really good.

I think that depends on what you consider really good. There are not that many on Dudleys U1 level of good, outside of maybe Rolento U2. Chuns is pretty good, but there is also the charge requirement. There are some good ones, but are a little bit trickier to use.

Dudley's Ultra 1 buh gawd

Got a ton better with USFIV range buff.

If you have a lot of unable to joins you should probably check if your firewall is configured properly. Ranked is the only way to get a variety of players in a short period of time. And if endless allowed you to fight other players instead of waiting in queue it would be superior...

Ranked forces you to play a variety of players, but ranked is ultimately about winning. And as a beginner, or someone trying to get good, winning shouldn't be the priority. There's no way I'm going to beat someone like Vulva now. Winning is a side effect to learning. Winning can be fun, but as a learning player it isn't my number one goal now. But if I play him repeatedly I can slowly learn how to cover my holes and what damage I'm giving for free. Also, in ranked, people end up playing it too safe or sometimes too desperate due to points being involved. Since it's about winning, sometimes it becomes win at any cost, even at the expense of forgetting fundamentals. Also, winning doesn't necessarily mean learning. Just became one of the top 7k Bison players on Steam in less than 30 minutes. Doesn't mean shit. Just spam HK, MK, focus, and scissor kick some time. Fun, but did I learn much besides basic player psychology and what players act like when they're scared as fuck? Nah.

mbpm1

I should try to get practice whiff punishes sometime.

Beat a 3K Cody earlier today by whiffing far st. lk to change my hurtbox and then hitting him as his slide missed multiple times. What a great feeling

I think I would like it if for BB they took the GGREV approach to character changes. IT seems that for some characters things change drastically from version to version. My limited impression from GG is that people who played the past iterations could easily jump into GGXrd and a lot of their knowledge would still be applicable.

For BB I think Ragna kind of fits that bill. At least from all my time playing him in BBCT/CS I thought he still played similarly from what I've played so far in BBCP although admittedly I haven't dived into anything like what his big combos look like.

Noel is my main and when I picked her up again in BBCP I didn't like a bunch of her changes. Stuff like j5D completely stopping her air momentum which means you had to learn new combos because the old ones that used that move no longer worked. I started thinking about whether these changes were really necessary and led to more enjoyable gameplay.

I guess it's something I'll have to suck up and get over since BBCF is giving everyone new moves which pretty much means a lot of stuff will be changing as well ( I think Noel has a bunch of new drives or something).

Before anyone brings it up I know I made a post a long while ago saying that huge character changes every game are good, it's just that now I'm reconsidering whether that's really true or not.

Yea. endless is the lobby system for sf4 online. no one loses points and no feelings are hurt over lag.

Good to know, thanks.

vulva

On the note of ranked vs endless, while endless will make you the better player I kind of have more fun with ranked. It feels like I'm at some random arcade and have no idea what to expect from anyone. Also it forces me to adjust to different player styles quickly.

On the note of ranked vs endless, while endless will make you the better player I kind of have more fun with ranked. It feels like I'm at some random arcade and have no idea what to expect from anyone. Also it forces me to adjust to different player styles quickly.

Yeah, I think both modes are equally valid. I think balancing both is important for my growth as a player.

Endless is so boring. I only do long sets when asked and when I'm up for it, and then people get mad when I use different characters to combat said boredom.

At least with Ranked you can see different characters.

Noel is my main and when I picked her up again in BBCP I didn't like a bunch of her changes. Stuff like j5D completely stopping her air momentum which means you had to learn new combos because the old ones that used that move no longer worked. I started thinking about whether these changes were really necessary and led to more enjoyable gameplay.
u mean bbcpe right? Bbcpe was brutal for any Noel main

Ranked is cool sometimes. You get 1 match to read this crazy guy. If you cant adapt too bad hes gone forever hold that l.

The guys that gets me the most is the ones that come back for a rematch after losing and when they win the 2nd game they are outta there. Fuck the third game, who cares if they're 1-1 with you. They got you last and that's all that matters.

Funniest are the dudes that go out of their way to avoid you because they got lucky and randomned you out. And I mean the guys that will still kick you from their room a few days after the first match(with lag not being a factor).

Marz

The guys that gets me the most is the ones that come back for a rematch after losing and when they win the 2nd game they are outta there. Fuck the third game, who cares if they're 1-1 with you. They got you last and that's all that matters.

Funniest are the dudes that go out of their way to avoid you because they got lucky and randomned you out. And I mean the guys that will still kick you from their room a few days after the first match(with lag not being a factor).

There is this guy named ironboy or something who will always come into my lobby, send me a "remember me:)" message and then leave without playing a match. Its the weirdest thing i don't remember him either.

Tripon

I only tried endless a few times when I got back into Ultra. One time, I was trying to work on my kara throws with Ryu. Had a guy send me multiple messages about ruining the game playing "WWE" and "This isn't wrestling [censored]."

Some people are weird.

Playing BB and GG back to back, GG feels so much more difficult and strict in terms of inputs and control. Or maybe it's just the two completely different characters.

gutabo

Hoodaman, threi, and vulva (I don't remember if vulva helped, but fuck it I'll throw him in) gave me great advice against Honda when I played at NCR. Hooda ended up beating me 2-1, but he was such a nice guy that he gave me a bunch of tips after the set.

You wanted tips against Honda? Why didn't you ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom