• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

petran79

Banned
While this is true, you would think someone that plays fighting games seriously would know better than to think of first impressions only.

For example.

God damn SF4 is a giant piece of shit.

Example two

God damn Guilty Gear is one of the worst fighting games ever HOLY SHIT

I tried Million Knights Vermilion, game released same year as BB:CT and SF4. Better than Blazblue, better than Yatagarasu. Very good OST too. I liked the anime design there a lot more.Character designer Shuji Sogabe also designed the Persona mangas. Hence why characters looked similar to Persona 4 ones. I think he should design ASW Persona characters too.

mkv24.jpg

Meanwhile in america "HURDUR ANIMEEEE SUX OMGAH PLAY THE ORGINAL GOOD GAM GUILTY GEAAAR SO MANLY ITS NOT ANIME OMGAHHH BB TOO SLOWWWW PLAY MANS GAME"

Or someshit

I'm just turned off by the aesthetic. I'd probably have tried the game already if it looked more appealing. What little I saw from those Celica matches did actually look good in one way Xrd doesn't - there's actual downtime in the neutral. Like, I don't know how to explain it exactly but neutral and pressure in something like KOF is more enjoyable because it works at the pace of the players, and a lot of the time pressure is just sitting in front of someone in the corner and occasionally poking them with a stick. You get actual whiff punishes and such.
Xrd it feels like stuff gets thrown out a ton and most of it has to make contact - the tone of the neutral is more of a throw stuff out to control outcomes, and pressure works at the pace of the characters and the character can just make it brutally oppressive where you have to know specifics of how the hell to get out because often you just can't even act. Faust works a lot like the KOF way - pressure is far from airtight, but a sharp Faust will keep you in the corner blocking pokes and eating chip while suffering the occasional mixup.

That everything has to connect feel for the neutral wasn't there as heavily as it is in Xrd's nonstop maniac pace, which I find interesting.

Ragna's character design is awful and put me off of BB for years. GG easily has the cooler looking characters to me.

Meh, try Rachel and Kokonoe. Just horrible.

Anne

The pacing combined with how nuts characters are is why I don't play Xrd actually. That game is pretty brutal and when a character "goes off" in a strong situation the might of god slams into you. Lots of needing to just go for things or get out the way, "shouldn't have been in that situation".

Not saying it's bad, there are people who very much like that and it definitely resembles the older games, it's just not for me. BB pacing is a lot different because barrier is free(tension pulse and management not being a thing either), oki is less nuts, and characters don't have quite as strong tools. The offshoot is that characters often end up with a lot of tools and weird uses of them, so when situations breakdown it can get wonky. You spend a lot more time dealing with situations "safely" and figuring out how to engage in one because of it. BB is still really fast in how you have to engage and react though, situations change very quickly, and the game speed in CP onward is faster than GG.

Pacing is a pretty big deal, Look at UNI pacing for an extreme example of when they really try to get something to work a certain way. That game is 100% turns, even in neutral.

The pacing combined with how nuts characters are is why I don't play Xrd actually. That game is pretty brutal and when a character "goes off" in a strong situation the might of god slams into you. Lots of needing to just go for things or get out the way, "shouldn't have been in that situation".

I mean, I like fast and mobile. I play KOF and love Melee and ST. It's just how you get pressured. In GG you have to know minutiae to even get the right to do anything, KOF it just feels like I got outsmarted, because that's kind of how the game's pressure works. Most overheads can be seen, if you get grabbed it's your own fault because there's like two years of invincibility, and blockstrings aren't airtight in the least. Yet guard crush means you HAVE to find a way to get out or die. But whether you get out is more up to the opponent than them just running practiced pressure and you dying to that period.

Like, this is fun distilled to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVkQMA-Z8I&t=17m02s

What's the situation with BB releases? CF coming out in the west in any reasonable time, or what version is being talked about? JP import?

Anne

I mean, I like fast and mobile. I play KOF and love Melee and ST. It's just how you get pressured. In GG you have to know minutiae to even get the right to do anything, KOF it just feels like I got outsmarted, because that's kind of how the game's pressure works. Most overheads can be seen, if you get grabbed it's your own fault because there's like two years of invincibility, and blockstrings aren't airtight in the least. Yet guard crush means you HAVE to find a way to get out or die. But whether you get out is more up to the opponent than them just running practiced pressure and you dying to that period.

Like, this is fun distilled to me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVkQMA-Z8I&t=17m02s

What's the situation with BB releases? CF coming out in the west in any reasonable time, or what version is being talked about? JP import?

I mean, in GG there is a lot more to it you're probably not seeing yet because you don't quite know enough answers. It's true shit is insanely strong, but your opponent generally has to get you to fuck up to open you up. You can't just run practiced pressure, it's just when a situation really breaks down for a character the risks of explosion are high and stopping it is really hard.

Nobody knows the situation on console CF yet. It's ASW so probably a few months then time to import.

shaowebb

You got vids of these being done in tournament?

Probably not.
It's a rather thin argument for something being okay simply because it either didn't happen at tourney or was banned out of tournament play. Those SFIV vids are ridiculously busted.

Sayad

I'm just turned off by the aesthetic. I'd probably have tried the game already if it looked more appealing. What little I saw from those Celica matches did actually look good in one way Xrd doesn't - there's actual downtime in the neutral. Like, I don't know how to explain it exactly but neutral and pressure in something like KOF is more enjoyable because it works at the pace of the players, and a lot of the time pressure is just sitting in front of someone in the corner and occasionally poking them with a stick. You get actual whiff punishes and such.
Neutral YRC is your friend if you really want those. ;p
Can't wait for ASW to realize how stupid YRC freeze is.

Marz

It's a rather thin argument for something being okay simply because it either didn't happen at tourney or was banned out of tournament play. Those SFIV vids are ridiculously busted.

Super specific stuff only done in training mode is a rather thin argument for "busted" wouldnt you say?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
i just cant seem to get into the zone when i want to for sf4. sometimes i go ham and see myself playing how a rolento player should play, other times im just jumping around, hoping for a miracle.

hitsugi

https://youtu.be/Zk6jRjzE_pw?t=3m44s

Momochi used to do a Akuma's loops a lot, we probably would have seen those more if people kept playing Vanilla. That the meta didn't get there in time, doesn't make it any less broken.

There were videos of Sako and Eita, etc. taking people apart with Akuma's loop as well. One of the most fun things back in vanilla.

Once word of the nerf got out for SSF4, most Akuma players stopped doing it in order to prepare for the massive adjustment in their gameplan.

The unblockable stuff was more rare, but it was also taken care of fairly quickly.

i just cant seem to get into the zone when i want to for sf4. sometimes i go ham and see myself playing how a rolento player should play, other times im just jumping around, hoping for a miracle.

9bf23bf7bbda40cd98b6d1f41d0c2583.gif

I know what it's like to be in the zone

It's when I'm hitting all my links even the ones I don't have confidence in hitting, AA'ing is perfect, whiff punishing on point, blocking on point, reads on point.

cujAAOD.gif

Opponent not getting any clean shots in and feeling like I have an answer for everything that comes at me

then I play against Seth
IkhzqNC.png

BadWolf

Played Matrimelee for the first time. This is officially the craziest fighting game of all time. And what's up with the RotD characters in it?

Yeah it's easily the wackiest fighter ever. The soundtrack is awesome and hilarious too.

Matrimelee and RotD were both made by the same dev iirc.

petghost

Banned
i cant think of a lot of fighting games whose vanilla version woulda stood up to the test of time. sf3:ng, alpha 1, ggx, bbct, sf2 (gets a pass cuz they were pioneering),mvc3, sf4 etc. all had serious mechanical problems.

despite it being a potential bummer im happy we live in an age where things are getting iterated on quickly.

shaowebb

Of course its broken.

But you try to go block a Zato unblockable, or elphelt, or Valk when hes got you in the corner.

Good luck.
I really don't get what you're trying to say here. First they were fine because you didn't think they were used in tourney, but then folks bring up they were used so yeah they are broken, but it's okay because bb is more annoyingly broken to you?

I never said anything forgiving busted stuff in bb or denying it has its own stuff (along with most fighting games). Simply pointed out that SFIV was busted in those vids an d it was silly to excuse any fighting game having stuff like that. Couldn't tell you which vanilla fighter was the most busted in context of its stuff and how it hit it's meta and tourney scenes really...but one having one shenanigan doesn't really effect whether or not the shenanigans in a completely different game were cool or not really.

Just call it like it is...when one has its borked stuff it's borked and it doesn't really make any other games more or less fair in terms of whatever broken stuff they have troubling their own metas. If you just want to say your tired of dealing with the rough stuff in bb and were better able to deal with the roug stuff in SFIV then just put it that way. Lots of us would rather deal with the familiar woes of one game we knew than the new ones of a title we are still learning.

I know I'm about to go in on bb when I get home and it'll be rough as hell dealing with it from scratch compared to when I used to just deal with F23 Superman stuff. Just gotta take my lu m ps and learn the new games tech.

i cant think of a lot of fighting games whose vanilla version woulda stood up to the test of time. sf3:ng, alpha 1, ggx, bbct, sf2 (gets a pass cuz they were pioneering),mvc3, sf4 etc. all had serious mechanical problems.

despite it being a potential bummer im happy we live in an age where things are getting iterated on quickly.
Yes. As long as the spirit of the developer is good, it's a good change. For example, everyone dogs on Sakurai, and I've said since release that Smash 4 was not a good game, but he has changed so much that it's really solid now. Not as great as melee, but still solid. It could use another change or two, and then it would be the best Smash game of all time,

Yes. As long as the spirit of the developer is good, it's a good change. For example, everyone dogs on Sakurai, and I've said since release that Smash 4 was not a good game, but he has changed so much that it's really solid now. Not as great as melee, but still solid. It could use another change or two, and then it would be the best Smash game of all time,
He needs to add hazard toggle, and a new endless style online mode (where you can pick rules and anyone can join) to make smash online good (doubt matchmaking would ever be added)..
oh and buff Palutena obviously

What is the difference between delayed cancel and gatling?

He needs to add hazard toggle, and a new endless style online mode (where you can pick rules and anyone can join) to make smash online good (doubt matchmaking would ever be added)..
oh and buff Palutena obviously
BB-style lobbies. :-/

crash-14

I was bored so I decided to post my top 10 USFIV European players and American players this 2015. Tournaments results and display shown

America

Ricky Ortiz (Rufus/Rolento/Elena)
K-Brad (Cammy)
Smug (Dudley)
Filipinoman (Rose)
PR Rog (Balrog)
Justin (Rufus/Rose/Elena)
801Strider (Abel)
Dieminion (Guile)
NuckleDu (Guile/Decapre)
Snake Eyez (Zangief/E.Ryu)

Europe

Afii [UK] (Poison)
Infexious [UK] (Hugo)
Andreas [UK] (Rufus)
MBR [Netherlands] (Akuma)
Ryan Hart [UK] (Sagat/E.Ryu)
Gagapa [France] (Dictator)
Phenom [Norway] (Dictator)
Problem X [UK] (Seth/Viper)
Valmaster [France] (Chun-li)
Luffy [France] (Rose)

I haven't followed other games as consistent as this, but I guess the biggest FGC names this year have to be SonicFox and ZeRo (Don't know how Ogawa has performed in Japan with GG).

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I don't know what to say about the above...

And real talk Count, I just finished watching Season 2 of Kuroko and that term just popped in my head.

WarRock

Yeah it's easily the wackiest fighter ever. The soundtrack is awesome and hilarious too.

Matrimelee and RotD were both made by the same dev iirc.
It's probably the game where a movelist is needed, 'cause there's way too many weird stuff in there. Command normal where you just press the normal at a specific distance, random ass super inputs, the damaging burst every time you get a super bar, the free EX moves when running...

Zyrox

Bought BBCPEX. Quite a bit has changed since CSEX. Gotta get used to everything.
First three online matches ended with me getting Astral'd >_>
Off to a good start lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom