• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learned the plus,minus and neutral part of frame data when i was just trying tot find out how fast my moves were coming out exactly.
Other than that i just Mike Ross it.

Make something cheap enough and people will try it.
Unless you change the price back to normal in the middle of them handing you the cash lol
Yep i am. I sent you some messages if you saw btw. Don't know if it's the PS4 crossplay stuff. Will be on in 10mins.

Didn't see them at all. Sorry. ^.^;

Edit: Got a room called 'gaf' up. PW is 'gaf' too. Anyone can join~ (Is in EU though)

When I create an RPS situation where a call out is going to happen on an option, don't tell me how the frame data says one thing when it wouldn't have mattered :p

It's hard to describe. I sit down with mid level SF players a lot and a situation breaks down in a way where frame data does matter, and they look at me and talk about frame data. Like with Sakura I'll do stuff that is - but I still have fast buttons and positioning so I go for a call out that's still in my favor by all logic but is still -. Then they look at me and tell me that I was minus and that shouldn't happen that way, and I'm like please it does not matter. A lot of players fall into this trap of learning all their numbers/combos/set ups and relying on those for answers without actually applying critical thinking to it. Don't be that girl, look at the situation, look at the numbers, then look back at the situation.

Edit: That sounds really mean and condescending when I read it back but it's a huge pet peeve of mine orz just use your brain when applying hard numbers.

Vulva and I were talking about last night how the frame data is limited. We were talking about Bison's scissor kick. It's a 0 on block and so that means you can't punish it. Theoretically, according to the frame data. But I know fully well that doing scissor kick, especially in the corner, pushed Bison BACK. So combined with his large start up and the fact he gets pushed back, that still allows me a small window, if he choose to scissor again, to punish.

Frame data is just data, but it doesn't calculate actual strategy. For that, you need actual hands on experience, experimentation, and situational awareness.

I think that's what you're saying?

Anne

Vulva and I were talking about last night how the frame data is limited. We were talking about Bison's scissor kick. It's a 0 on block and so that means you can't punish it. Theoretically, according to the frame data. But I know fully well that doing scissor kick, especially in the corner, pushed Bison BACK. So combined with his large start up and the fact he gets pushed back, that still allows me a small window, if he choose to scissor again, to punish.

Frame data is just data, but it doesn't calculate actual strategy.

Ish. Vulva is smart and already explained most of it thank god. Wasn't scissor kick nerfed to -1 btw? I don't remember if that stuck, that's about when I stopped playing.

well all he needs is just plain, good ol' FOOT-SIES

I have had this bookmarked for a really long time lol

Frame data is just data, but it doesn't calculate actual strategy. For that, you need actual hands on experience, experimentation, and situational awareness.

S/O's to Happy Medicine

NEO0MJ

Make something cheap enough and people will try it.
Unless you change the price back to normal in the middle of them handing you the cash lol

Funny thing is I already own the original CP + DLC on PS3, but I refuse to buy EX for full price, especially $50 on PS4. Frankly I wonder if I'll even buy CF at times or wait for the EX version.

Just bought a ticket for my wife to attend Capcup.

#feelsbadman :(

Why on earth would you do that? Fucking nerds.

CPS2

One thing about frame data that can be misleading if you're just looking it up, its all calculated at the closest range, while the opponent is standing. They don't tell you what happens if the opponent is crouching, which could cause a move to whiff and really change things. Also every active frame affects advantage or disadvantage, e.g. if you have a slide with 10 active frames and the frame data says its -7, they're assuming you're doing it from the closest range, but at the furthest range you have advantage. Same with doing fireballs from some distance away.

When you punish a move, you're not going to be right in their face a lot of the time so the frame data won't actually tell you anything. Its useful for knowing which moves are faster than which, but it can be hard to tell what your actual advantage is when playing.

CPS2

Speaking of which, was it true that there's more blockstun in 3S when you crouch block? Or was that an old wives tale
You definitely get more frame advantage if the opponent's crouching with certain moves but I never tested blockstun. It'd be pretty easy to test tho if you download FBA-RR. You also get one more frame of advantage if you're in the middle of a combo and the opponent is stunned. So you can get all these link combos off crouching stunned opponents that usually don't work.

NEO0MJ

I'm not sure what to make of your comment. lol

Oh, I thought you were forcing her to attend with you, not that she wanted to go and you couldn't join her. As for "fucking nerds", it just feels funny to add after commenting on a pretty nerdy thing. Hope I didn't offend you with it
IkhzqNC.png

Rhapsody

Banned
You definitely get more frame advantage if the opponent's crouching with certain moves but I never tested blockstun. It'd be pretty easy to test tho if you download FBA-RR. You also get one more frame of advantage if you're in the middle of a combo and the opponent is stunned. So you can get all these link combos off crouching stunned opponents that usually don't work.

Wow, I actually never knew that about stunned combos. That's actually really interesting.

Skilletor

Oh, I thought you were forcing her to attend with you, not that she wanted to go and you couldn't join her. As for "fucking nerds", it just feels funny to add after commenting on a pretty nerdy thing. Hope I didn't offend you with it
IkhzqNC.png

I thought that's what you meant, since that was the most likely scenario. lol.

No offense taken.

Numb

Funny thing is I already own the original CP + DLC on PS3, but I refuse to buy EX for full price, especially $50 on PS4. Frankly I wonder if I'll even buy CF at times or wait for the EX version.
ASW gonna ASW.
So annoying.

Ah, good games.

Who's the Az, btw? 'fess up.

No clue. There was an Az player in here. Hope we didn't lag. It felt better than the other time i was with Karst.

pizzacat

Banned
I'm just watching that marvel glitch gif over and over again. Nova literally freezes just for a free hit holy shit

Did anyone check if it was in vanilla

Numb

Pft. Took the last game with

If you're not a random, good games, Mystery Az X.

Good games to Numb too. That was fun. Tager messes me up real good ;/
But i think i got a handle on it a little bit as time went on.

Indeed. I tried Celica at first but then that ended quickly.
I need way more practice with both of them.

mbpm1

How I use frame data:

Can I punish with something?
Can I frame trap with something?
Can I- screw it DP DP DP DP

Then I might add a frame bc online means people can't do frame perfect punishes most of the time

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I wonder if Capcom will show us a new character. I think the perfect ending to this would be Daigo winning. He would be the beginning and the end.

the final character of Fan, actually stands for a fan of the game. Whoever wins Capcom Cup will be the final character in the initial SFV roster.

vulva

I basically explained to Cindi how to read frame data, what it means, when it's useful (understanding what can be punished and with what based on numbers), the problems with over reliance (hitboxes not taken into account being something major) and that it should only be used when learning matchups/how to deal with something unfamiliar.

That pretty much covers what's most important at the core of frame data right?

I also explained it can be used to see what combos, but that's been pretty exhausted in sf4 right now so that's not as important to focus on for now.

Shackzam

I wonder if Capcom will show us a new character. I think the perfect ending to this would be Daigo winning. He would be the beginning and the end.
Trying not to put the Kadey curse on Daigo by not completely saying he's your pick? Also I believe they are showing the new character there.

Dahbomb

Simplest example I can give as to why frame data isn't everything is due to stuff like knock backs and hitbox/hurtbox.

The opponent has a move that is -7 on block. Your fastest move is 4 frame start. You think "ok based on frame data I should be able to punish it". Well then you go into a real match and realize that you can't actually punish it because the move has knock back on block and it pushes you far enough to where your fastest move can't actually reach.

Simplest example I can give as to why frame data isn't everything is due to stuff like knock backs and hitbox/hurtbox.

The opponent has a move that is -7 on block. Your fastest move is 4 frame start. You think "ok based on frame data I should be able to punish it". Well then you go into a real match and realize that you can't actually punish it because the move has knock back on block and it pushes you far enough to where your fastest move can't actually reach.

unless you're Elena

Zissou

I basically explained to Cindi how to read frame data, what it means, when it's useful (understanding what can be punished and with what based on numbers), the problems with over reliance (hitboxes not taken into account being something major) and that it should only be used when learning matchups/how to deal with something unfamiliar.

That pretty much covers what's most important at the core of frame data right?

I also explained it can be used to see what combos, but that's been pretty exhausted in sf4 right now so that's not as important to focus on for now.

When I'm trying to get acclimated to a game, I look at the frame data for a given opposing character, scan over it, and try to categorize things in an easy/understandable way.

The particulars depend on lot on a given game's engine, but when I was going in hard on the SFV beta and frame data was put out for all the characters, I was mentally classifying stuff into:

-plus on block- do no press buttons afterwards
-even on block- you're back at neutral
-slightly minus on block- though it's not a punish situation, I get to press a button for free afterwards
-punishable on block- these moves are punishable (and figure out the punishes)

Having some systematic way to look at it makes things easier for me.

ShinMaruku

Doa is causing some serious shade. As to Capcom cup any USA chapters should be laughed at. It seems tribal and hella funny because the USA is only best in things it don't admit to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom