• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still get carded at the liquor store
invoker-laugh.gif

Nightii

Banned
So if a fighting game player becomes "washed up" after reaching 30, what happens to stream monsters? Do they just become the equivalent to that old ass relative that people put up with when he says some real nasty and racist shit?

Beats

I'm 25. Not really sure what people see me as though. I lost a good amount of weight and have gotten more fit compared to when I was 16, but I don't really feel like I've aged much since then.

Azure J

Age discussion again?

I'm 25. Not really sure what people see me as though. I lost a good amount of weight and have gotten more fit compared to when I was 16, but I don't really feel like I've aged much since then.

26 and just a bit huskier than I was at 17-18. Feel the same now as I did back then with the only exception being that I talk more.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I'm about to turn 33 but I constantly have girls in my nursing classes think I'm like early 20s.

Enjoying that shit while it lasts, brehs.

CO_Andy

the secret to not aging: don't drink and smoke

have a friend who used to be model material got his looks ravished due to presumably excessive drinking (worth mentioning he also excessively ate McD's at this time)

I am hanging out with 40 & 50 year olds mostly since I am a father of two and alot of parents are raising their last ones or had them later in life. I feel so young and specialized (vs them doing all sorts of life/work experience stuff).

I think I was already old in my teens. I listened to NPR and wanted to make games more than play them. I only started playing seriously when I was in college.

"To the Killer Instinct Community...you made this possible"

*30 seconds later*

"Gosh, just let me see gameplay footage. Fuck, duuuuuude."

What's with the hitstun in that game? Looks like a 90's SNK game.

Some moves when repeated will cause Same Move Proration. The opponent will flash blue. If this happens it basically murders your combo so try to avoid it.

A big key part of BB is being able to convert off really odd hits and situations and turn into anything really. you'll need different versions of your BnB due to how you confirm. If you slam a bunch of jabs in there or confirm too weak, then you need a different way to do your combo. If you get a weird air hit or spaced CH or something, you may need a new route. You may need a character specific route. You may need to switch up your BnB in order to get different oki.

Lots of reasons to have really open combo skills. Really good players freestyle sometimes off super awkward ass hits and they turn it into awesome things. Having combo pieces and figuring out how to string them together and make them work with proration is a very valuable skill.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I'm getting to the point where I can get some of those weird hit confirms off. What's unusual about BB for me is that counters and fatal counters DRASTICALLY change what kind of combo confirms you can do, and that means different buttons for different situations. I'm hoping I'll confirm off of a 3C counter at some point during my next set.

I am mid 30's yet am friends with 18-24 year olds through fighting games. Kind of weird when I think about it.
Yeah, when I am thanking the kid half my age for bringing a setup, it has a odd tinge to it.

Karst, read this http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=BBCPE/Damage

BB uses a timer system to calculate hitstun decay and SMP automatically adds 2 seconds to your timer which is ridiculous.

Generally speaking, yes. It's worth noting that Same Move Proration in CP/CPE seems to affect only hit stun decay, i.e., hit stun is greatly deteriorated to the point that the opponent can recover earlier than anticipated. See Anne's wiki link for more info. For CF, I've heard that SMP affects damage rather than combo duration.

With that said, you can definitely leverage that property to your advantage for resets and tech traps.
That makes a ton of sense! I was messing around with the sandbox of Hakumen combos, and I did:
3C (CH), 2B, 214A, 623A, 5C, OD, 2B, 214A, etc. I thought I could do it forever, but after 3 214As they popped out consistently.

I'm 34. Was playing GG with a friend the other day who is a bit younger, reacted to something and he was like, "You can't have reactions like that. You're old."

Would have felt bad, but I was too busy winning.
I don't feel like my reactions are worse than in the past. I do feel like I tend to autopilot more often, and I don't look for things to react to as easily. Really bad habit when you play zoners, because sometimes you just throw another fireball and...ow.

So if a fighting game player becomes "washed up" after reaching 30, what happens to stream monsters? Do they just become the equivalent to that old ass relative that people put up with when he says some real nasty and racist shit?
Stream monsters are in one of the 99 levels of hell based on their age. Each level adds a new depth of depravity.

I'm about to turn 33 but I constantly have girls in my nursing classes think I'm like early 20s.

Enjoying that shit while it lasts, brehs.
Enjoy that gender representation, too.

Shadow Jago Trailer

Man I hate the hitstop in this game, lookin weird as hell

Next SFV Beta - Dec 17-20

im in there
Literally the day when my Winter Break starts. YES.

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I'm getting to the point where I can get some of those weird hit confirms off. What's unusual about BB for me is that counters and fatal counters DRASTICALLY change what kind of combo confirms you can do, and that means different buttons for different situations. I'm hoping I'll confirm off of a 3C counter at some point during my next set.
lol, counter hit confirms are how I introduce new players to the game! Ok...its kindve mean, but noel's 5C counter hits doing up to 6k is so fun

Shouta

Seems like we skew older than the FGC.

On that note, I haven't been involved in FGC stuff at all recently. Enough so that bigger FGC personalities have stopped following me. RIP me.

Can't muster the energy for stuff right now until SF5 though, oof. Well, aside from some kusoge.

Beats

man, Genesis 3 in mid January is going to be a pretty huge Smash tournament:
Melee: 1459
Smash 4: 778
Smash 64: 165

At the moment it'll be the 2nd largest Melee tournament, 3rd largest Smash 4 tournament, and 2nd largest Smash 64 tournament. Genesis 2 in 2011 had over 300 entrants across 4 games according to the smash wiki.

Anne

On that note, I haven't been involved in FGC stuff at all recently. Enough so that bigger FGC personalities have stopped following me. RIP me.

Can't muster the energy for stuff right now until SF5 though, oof. Well, aside from some kusoge.

Same. Ive gone an entire college semester without interacting with the mainline FGC lol

Marz

Cmon Shouta the Pacific Northwest needs you.

Shouta

Same. Ive gone an entire college semester without interacting with the mainline FGC lol

Yeah, I haven't done much since Evo at all aside. Honestly, I haven't done that much on twitter either, heh. That's probably why I'm getting the unfollow. =o

Cmon Shouta the Pacific Northwest needs you.

I'm always in hibernation after Evo. I usually kick into gear after the new year. They've been getting stuff done without me though.

you playing marvel now?

Not that much kusoge!

new year should be good for me. I play so many games that the winter rush gets in my way pretty bad. I can see my play quality dropping at weekly meetups, but I'm not too phased by it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Second beta I had exams all throughout the period, and now I have to mark through the first half of the third beta, ugh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom