• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logan and F-word confirmed for Capcom Cup analysis desk. Logan just announced it on capcom fighters.

That's great news, they're actually my favorite commentating duo in SF4. They're done such a great job lately and I'm glad their work is being recognized.

There is a japanese commentary stream from the Japanese capcom studio. Papatiwawa, Yoshiwo, Choco, and Sentosu will join capcom guy and Ayano. So same as last year so they won't be in San Francisco.

They need someone there to cry for Daigo when he wins Capcom Cup this year.

James Chen and Hamad were having an argument today about counterpicking and best of 3 format.

Do you guys think counterpicking is "hype as fuck"? Are character locked tournaments more interesting?

hitsugi

Is Daigo winning a meme in this thread now or are yall fucking this delusional?

This happens with every big event Daigo attends. Certain people say he's a scrub / washed up / whatever, he can't win anything in the US, etc. Others say daiGOAT, daigod, etc. Up until they're eliminated, everyone is a fan of US players as well.

Dahbomb

James Chen and Hamad were having an argument today about counterpicking and best of 3 format.

Do you guys think counterpicking is "hype as fuck"? Are character locked tournaments more interesting?
Counter picks aren't hype nor are they cheap, underhanded tactics. It's a part of the game and we have blind picks for it.

What were the contents of this argument?

I would say that a game should have characters (or teams in team fighters) with various options that allows every character to play every match up. Like say Tekken so you don't feel pressured into counter picking to grab easy wins.

Infiltration look at notes before he infiltrates dat ass
dame2.png
is hype

Dahbomb

I read some of that twitter conversation and it seemed more like Hamad was salty over losing to Elena with his Fei Long. Conversation started with how stupid Elena is, to how counterpicking with Elena is stupid to how the standard format doesn't really showcase who the best player is compared to Topanga League. Too many topics in there melded together.

Infiltration wracking his brain over who to counterpick in the heat of the moment is hype, seriously.
Sometimes it's hype sometimes it isn't. Depends on the situation rather than the process of counter picking.

Infiltration counter picking with Gouken against Hugo isn't hype. But him doing it with Hakan against PRROG is.

So it's not the art of counter picking but rather the situation and the game. I am sure no one would've cared if Infiltration used Hakan and got 0-3'd.

Counter picks aren't hype nor are they cheap, underhanded tactics. It's a part of the game and we have blind picks for it.

What were the contents of this argument?

I would say that a game should have characters (or teams in team fighters) with various options that allows every character to play every match up. Like say Tekken so you don't feel pressured into counter picking to grab easy wins.

Hamad didn't argue about the validity of counterpicking. Just as an end game development, having top players decide who is better by blind pick scenarios or fighting each other secondaries isn't compelling. Although he did say that he thinks that Topanga's format is a better method of determining the better player.

James Chen went in different directions. Mostly talked about his experiences as an ST player and that what was done in the past. That there was nothing special about being a character loyalist. I guess he's against the idea of character lock, as a rule. And that double elim is just as valid as topanga.

Nightii

Banned
Sometimes it's hype sometimes it isn't. Depends on the situation rather than the process of counter picking.

Infiltration counter picking with Gouken against Hugo isn't hype. But him doing it with Hakan against PRROG is.

So it's not the art of counter picking but rather the situation and the game. I am sure no one would've cared if Infiltration used Hakan and got 0-3'd.

Ehh, he lost after counter picking twice against Gamerbee, and it was still hype as hell, imo.

Dahbomb

I think Topanga is the better format (for determining the better player) because it has longer sets and you play everyone, not because it has character locks.

But that is of course impractical for large scale tournaments. And it's less hype for events as well.

It's just a matter of people not playing the character they should, and getting salty not because they lost at the character select screen, but because they lost a year ago when they could've learned a real character

once the game boils down to 100% elena mirror matches we'll finally determine who the best player is.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm finding BBCF Rachel more and more fun. Because of school, I haven't been going at night to face players, mostly in the mornings to just lab on my own time. Round 1 increased the ingame timer from 400 to 540, so I'm really happy about that. I see promos of Nine on the cabs, she comes out on the 3rd (of Japan).

Going to try her out, but I might wait a week or so once people figure things out.

CO_Andy

Some folks on the main forum are speculating Tifa showing up in SFV. I would very much like that.

Has Die ever faced off against any pro level Evil Roos?

I'm finding BBCF Rachel more and more fun. Because of school, I haven't been going at night to face players, mostly in the mornings to just lab on my own time. Round 1 increased the ingame timer from 400 to 540, so I'm really happy about that. I see promos of Nine on the cabs, she comes out on the 3rd (of Japan).

Going to try her out, but I might wait a week or so once people figure things out.
How do folks record off of cabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom