• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else have trouble getting into other games, especially single-player games, after getting into fighters? My friend told me he calls single player games "vacation games" now because they're nothing compared to the brutal difficulty of a fighting game.

Numb

Anyone else have trouble getting into other games, especially single-player games, after getting into fighters? My friend told me he calls single player games "vacation games" now because they're nothing compared to the brutal difficulty of a fighting game.

Only mutliplayer games i play are fighters 99% of the time.SP games could be considered a vacation.
Shameless and would use god-mode and console commands and take it easy unless i am there for the challenge(Platinum/character action stuff).

Kalamari

It's probably because so many games like to coddle players rather than challenge them.

Zissou

The analytical mindset necessary for playing fighters makes you really critical of bland/simple design. I remember being bored to tears with the terrible combat in Arkham Asylum because of how little there was to it.

There should be a street fighter black ops where it's an action game where you play as Guile, Charlie and Chun Cammy and Juri trying to find and body Bipson.
They could call it...Street Fighter: Special Forces
Not at all. It helps that I've been playing multiple genres since forever, though.
The analytical mindset necessary for playing fighters makes you really critical of bland/simple design. I remember being bored to tears with the terrible combat in Arkham Asylum because of how little there was to it.

You marvel minions are insane, Arkham Asylum was fantastic!

VaSb-7VS.jpg

You can enjoy more than just one thing. That doesn't mean you have to, a thing is also not necessarily bad just because you don't enjoy it.

Or I don't know, Q can talk to you abouy Ys games again or something.

DRE Fei

You guys have it all wrong. Fighting is the only video game genre that requires any thought whatsoever. This means of course that the people who play them are all certified geniuses and all other genres are trash especially those moba guys. We are all special snowflakes because mommy and daddy said street fighter is real good and we're the best.

Coda

You guys have it all wrong. Fighting is the only video game genre that requires any thought whatsoever. This means of course that the people who play them are all certified geniuses and all other genres are trash especially those moba guys. We are all special snowflakes because mommy and daddy said street fighter is real good and we're the best.

Street Fighter is life.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Can you guys help me with fighting Sakura? It seems a lot of people are used to using her frame traps. Are they frame traps? I'll upload a video.

You are only scratching the surface of Sakura. If she has you in the corner, you better hope you aren't mashing. Anne and I went even but its basically a horrible matchup for me cause of my wakeup options. Her oki game is too stronk

shaowebb

You can enjoy more than just one thing. That doesn't mean you have to, a thing is also not necessarily bad just because you don't enjoy it.

Or I don't know, Q can talk to you abouy Ys games again or something.

That reminds me...I really need to play those things after he showed me all the shit in them. I only ever played the very first one which was run face first into a fucker mode combat.

Dahbomb

Arkham Asylum was a very good game. The combat while simplistic was at least some what novel and the combat wasn't the main focus of the game. It was paced well together with Metroidvania style adventure, stealth sections and puzzle solving.

Arkham City expanded the formula to an open world and gets some credit for that because it's more of the good stuff.

However with Arkham Knight, the formula has gotten stale and the vehicle sections really put a damper on the game. Now the series has pretty much peaked out. The combat has lost all novelty especially since so many other games have also started copying that combat.

Not at all I still enjoy playing single player games. I just finished the Bloodborne DLC and just finished the Scholar of the First Sin on the PS4 (going for the Platinum next). I also occasionally play Diablo 3 here and there, getting ready for the next major patch. I kinda want to get back into Path of Exile as well... the true game for theory crafters!

Single player games can be brutally difficult too though it's really more self imposed. You can try to play Bloodborne without leveling up your character and see how far you get. Or try to play DmC DE with all the difficulty modifiers in place.

It takes a lot for me to play a non-fighting game these days. I still haven't finished P4G, even though I think it's one of the best RPGs I have played in ages.

The combat has lost all novelty especially since so many other games have also started copying that combat.
It's still the best version of that combat though. It's also more fun on a harder difficulty but it it's on the player to have fun with it by wanting to stay in "combat flow" and using gadgets and specials and keeping their combo chain going.

Really like seeing some SF veterans who didn't like 4 come back after its long reign as THE SF game. Really like Wolfe's neutral jump attacks for handling anti-airs, very ST tactic.

Kalamari

I know you being sarcastic, but if anything, fighting game show you that you are not a special snowflake. Fighting games show you that you are shit, and if you want to excel there are no shortcuts, there is no substitute for hard work. Fighting games teach important life lessons.

I would go long stretches without playing single player games when I was competing but a lot of that was more time management than not liking them. Investing in a long single player game just felt like a waste of time that could be used better. Now that I don't grind I play a ton of single player games and them being more passive or easy isn't a problem.

mbpm1

Mash your punch button and mash your counter buttons when necessary

Repeat.

I still enjoyed it though. Batman looks too cool to not. Don't feel the need to play anything after City though.

Tripon

Graham wolf was the first SFV Vega I seen that really used his clawless form to his advantage. Dude will be a monster the first year.

Numb

Graham wolf was the first SFV Vega I seen that really used his clawless form to his advantage. Dude will be a monster the first year.
Doesn't like claw at all
Zoning and using alpha counters more than most people too.
Whenever he did the command throw tho he usually dashes real quick in your face.

shaowebb

It takes a lot for me to play a non-fighting game these days. I still haven't finished P4G, even though I think it's one of the best RPGs I have played in ages.

I strongly suggest Undertale. There are reasons it is beating out soooooo many legends in the voting right now for best games of all time. Its killed Mass Effect 3, Fallout 3, and Super Mario World already in one on one votes. After playing it I have to say its not just a current thing thats riding 15 minutes of fame either. I have never played any game where any of its endings pulled me in so hard and every play through has a ton of secrets and entertainment unique to them. Every character is fully developed and all the combat is great. Takes bullet hell dodging, and RPG strategy along with a lot of rule breaking and makes it into something new and amazing. Plus the soundtrack is top notch.

If you want to see if there is a non fighting game with something special hit that game. Also try to fuck with its cast...they fuck with you worse than you could ever manage. If it helps someone is making it into a fighter too.

Best games ever votes for the current bracket standings

WarRock

I strongly suggest Undertale. There are reasons it is beating out soooooo many legends in the voting right now for best games of all time. Its killed Mass Effect 3, Fallout 3, and Super Mario World already in one on one votes. After playing it I have to say its not just a current thing thats riding 15 minutes of fame either. I have never played any game where any of its endings pulled me in so hard and every play through has a ton of secrets and entertainment unique to them. Every character is fully developed and all the combat is great. Takes bullet hell dodging, and RPG strategy along with a lot of rule breaking and makes it into something new and amazing. Plus the soundtrack is top notch.

If you want to see if there is a non fighting game with something special hit that game. Also try to fuck with its cast...they fuck with you worse than you could ever manage.
Best games of all time.

Mass Effect 3
Fallout 3
Super Mario World

what

That aside, now I'm really interested in Undertale.

jerry1594

Best games of all time.

Mass Effect 3
Fallout 3
Super Mario World

what

That aside, now I'm really interested in Undertale.

Only one of those is good and it's been rereleased a bunch of times so I can imagine this new awesome game would garner more praise.

If you want to see if there is a non fighting game with something special hit that game. Also try to fuck with its cast...they fuck with you worse than you could ever manage. If it helps someone is making it into a fighter too.

Best games ever votes for the current bracket standings
I almost always wait for new game hype to pass before trying a single player title. I still haven't even opened The Wonderful 101. I waited a year to play Bayonetta 2.

Also, 2/3 of the games you listed it beating suck. :p

I mean, is this the game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cattq0csbeI&t=23m34s

I'll see if anyone is still talking about that...creative title in 6 months. The beauty of single player titles is that you never miss anything by waiting. It's only worthwhile to jump in right away for multiplayer stuff.

ShinMaruku

I have to give it to FGW gaf, where unlike the general FGC you guys have tact and I respect that greatly. Little less memes and we'd be the legendary overman. :E

petghost

Banned
sometimes i wonder if the feel of old games is attributable to them being in 4:3. i dont know anything about anything so i have no clue if this actually effects gameplay in anyway. do you guys think there is a discernible difference when moving form 4:3 to widescreen?

yata runs in 4:3 and feels like an old game to me.

Numb

sometimes i wonder if the feel of old games is attributable to them being in 4:3. i dont know anything about anything so i have no clue if this actually effects gameplay in anyway. do you guys think there is a discernible difference when moving form 4:3 to widescreen?

yata runs in 4:3 and feels like an old game to me.

Yata feels like an old game for more reasons than that.
I wonder if Arcana hear feels old going by this. I doubt it.

ShinMaruku

Define feels like a old game. Presentation is one thing does it play exactly like an old game seperated from the general idea of fighting games of today?

petghost

Banned
Yata feels like an old game for more reasons than that.
I wonder if Arcana hear feels old going by this. I doubt it.

i dno anything about arcana but imo melty has that feel of an old game as well... same with GGXX games.

its kind of hard to describe maybe it has to do with the size of normals on screen etc.

Dahbomb

I don't think Gamefaqs voting should be indicative of anything, it's just a popularity contest. So many people on there have such a massive hard on for anything FFVII.

Numb

i dno anything about arcana but imo melty has that feel of an old game as well... same with GGXX games.

its kind of hard to describe maybe it has to do with the size of normals on screen etc.

Those are not new games and alot comes down to presentation and your own views.
If you are used to 4:3 games from years ago then using that ratio would give you some of that same feeling.

Not at all. I probably spend more of my time now playing single player games than multiplayer games, though I don't think the difference is that high.

While I do love fighting games, I genuinely love video games as a whole. If a game has my attention, regardless if it's a single player/multiplayer/whatever genre, then I will one day play it.

shaowebb

I almost always wait for new game hype to pass before trying a single player title. I still haven't even opened The Wonderful 101. I waited a year to play Bayonetta 2.

Also, 2/3 of the games you listed it beating suck. :p

I mean, is this the game?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cattq0csbeI&t=23m34s

I'll see if anyone is still talking about that...creative title in 6 months. The beauty of single player titles is that you never miss anything by waiting. It's only worthwhile to jump in right away for multiplayer stuff.

God damn man do NOT watch spoilers on this game. Especially its endings. Why do you do things like that man? Its an RPG thats making tidal waves because it has constant left fields and moments that come out of nowhere. Not like its just yet another game that just doles out references and memes to earn its praise. You don't just live a game like that out before hand to test the water and then spoil it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom