• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kikirin

Nah, these are all mediocre. Adding them all up doesn't give him good AA. Other characters have these massive AA hitboxes with big invulnerability that lets you beat stuff like Hakumen's 2C even when it's properly spaced. Hakumen has NOTHING that good.

I don't know what you're really looking for in an anti-air then. All of the things I've listed are air unblockable unless barrier guarded, and practically all anti-airs that aren't DPs have at least 4-6 frames before the head attribute invul kick in. If you're expecting to have something that you can mash out without anticipation and still win, you're looking for a DP, not an anti-air.

Random item utilization. Enjoying randomness on a character is a rare trait, and few characters fulfill the requirement.

Yea, but they don't really play the same, which is an opinion that I'm surprised people that know both games don't share. Zappa always seemed like a better comparison.

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks for explaining all this. I respect your skill level with multiple characters in this complex game. Do you have any feedback on my neutral?

Thanks. Most of it came about in Chronophantasma when I wanted to learned at least two subs to help friends learn matchups. Then it eventually ended up me learning more characters to help myself learn matchups since I wasn't getting enough experience against the cast.

Neutral, I suggest messing around with Hakumen's tools outside of his C buttons. Mess with j.A air to air more, different buttons to cut projectiles (like j2A), j.D against obvious air dash normals. Try to bait opponent's anti airs with things like double jump into Agito/j214A. Unless it's changed, it has more attributes than just head so you can't head invul anti air it.

Another is using barrier when you're in the air. There were quite a bit of anti airs that you got clipped by that could've been avoided. Certain ones like Izayoi's 623B upwards slash in Gain Art can lead to pretty big damage.

Matchup specific, against Izayoi, you were playing it right some of the time. If you ever see her do a projectile in Gain Art mode, you need to jump out and not block it. Never let her get away with it in neutral. Even if she's not in Gain Art, avoid blocking it. She gains 2 stocks on hit, 1 on block.
Can normal attacks cancel out Jin's ice swords? Looking at this Nine vs. Jin match, and the Nine player continually uses 4A to cancel the sword. Wondering if this is a Jin thing, or a Nine thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRwkyWdSPmE&feature=youtu.be

Ah, yes.

Projectiles can cancel them out (like Rachel 5B). Keep in mind, Nine's normals are projectiles, but not in the category where they can be cut by Hakumen.

Is Teddy in that group too?
I suppose so, haha.

I don't know what you're really looking for in an anti-air then. All of the things I've listed are air unblockable unless barrier guarded, and practically all anti-airs that aren't DPs have at least 4-6 frames before the head attribute invul kick in. If you're expecting to have something that you can mash out without anticipation and still win, you're looking for a DP, not an anti-air.
IMO, a good anti-air has:
1) Low startup.
2) Combo-ability.
3) Head invincibility.
4) Flexibility in application.
5) Good vertical range.

I would say that 6A only has 3), and 2) only on counterhit.

Yea, but they don't really play the same, which is an opinion that I'm surprised people that know both games don't share. Zappa always seemed like a better comparison.
Most of the characters I main across games don't play the game, but they have an attribute or two that I like that draws me to them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man High level in this is so different from low to mid. Probably good I stepped out of sf4. :p
Yep, low and even mid or mid-to-high level SF4 is excruciatingly bad to watch. Often the quality of the matches is pretty directly related to how much external pressure there is on the players.

shaowebb

GG earlier Faded Revolution. Helped me see that I was playing Casshan too upclose and was overly megacrashing and tagging under pressure.

Next time I'll remember to map a Medium instead of two Heavies lol.
still would've lost but it was hilarious finding out I had no M
It was pretty cool talking you through some of Polimar's tools and watching you go nuts in the lab with him. I get the feeling a Polimar/Ryu team from you would become a fucking nightmare.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Share thoughts.

He is pretty different from his SF4 version, as everyone else is saying. The startup on his moves also seems a little slower, since I'm so used to a fairly fast standing fierce from SF4.

I found it hard to relearn all the anti air options. The only one that stayed the same was b.mp. I really miss the b.hk knee and yoga blast. Maybe I could have tried hp yoga fire more as an anti air but I dunno, even that one seemed kinda slow.

Speaking of the yoga fires, it makes you think a lot more since you cant just throw them out and have that "shield" in front of you, like it is in SF4. Fireball wars didnt really end up in my favor much, but I still have to play with it more.

I probably should have been using the float V-skill more for evasion and fakeout purposes instead of trying to challenge from the ground like I usually do in SF4.

I actually had some sucess reverting back to 2008 tatics and randomly teleporting everywhere for unearned BnB combos. You can actually get more damage with j.hp, cb.hp, b.mk, lp yoga flame (probably even ex yoga flame, j.ex yogaflame).

Marz

Yea i dont know wtf Capcom is thinking. Finally have a game without random bullshit so Dhalsim could actually fit in, but they take away most of his fundamental tools so he has to play all janky. Doesnt make any sense.

shaowebb

Okay...so does Chrono Phantasma extend have ALL the stories for all the previous games in it? There are so many sections in the story area. Just wondering if I need to bootup older copies eventually to sort all this out or if I can just rock it all from whatever one is the current one.

Also Remix Heart is fun. I now want Kajun and Mai as playable.

Okay...so does Chrono Phantasma extend have ALL the stories for all the previous games in it? There are so many sections in the story area. Just wondering if I need to bootup older copies eventually to sort all this out or if I can just rock it all from whatever one is the current one.

Also Remix Heart is fun. I now want Kajun and Mai as playable.
AFAIK, it has abridged versions of the stories.

Zissou

Faust items are random, but the odds are weighted so that some items are much more or less common than others. Randomness is woven into many aspects of Faust's design- the item throw distance is somewhat randomized, his super being a literal guessing game (and having a small random chance of the angel changing into a reaper). I think it's hard to compare Faust to characters who throw items in a set order, since they are more based on preemptive planning knowing what item you'll get, where Faust is improvising based on the random thing that you get (though you try to have plans for each item in many situations, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom