• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I liked how Daigo had his vita on the table. I'd like to think some sony person said "oh shit he has one of those? let people know he has one"

BadWolf

I liked how Daigo had his vita on the table. I'd like to think some sony person said "oh shit he has one of those? let people know he has one"

He's been doing that for a few years now I think? He used to have a PSP before.

Iirc he watches match vids on it when in tournament.

This page has given me all the reason in the world to just stick to Street Fighter. Does KOF do numbers too? I don't remember it ever doing it.

mqunTrN.png
mqunTrN.png
mqunTrN.png
mqunTrN.png
mqunTrN.png

We da best

Tularensis

Neo Member
I'm a KOF fan, so I'll play 14. As a person who holds 98 in his own personal god tier of fgs, the fact that 14 seems like it's a return to the the 98/2k2 emphasis on a stronger neutral game with a higher risk on approach immediately makes it my most anticipated fighter. But seriously, the game looks like absolute garbage right now. There are reasons for this of course, but those reasons don't make Andy look any less like a PS1 cinematic. I understand they wanted to get the game in peoples hands, but they may have done more harm than good showing the game so early and in such a rough state. Invite notable kof players for private tests if you want to get feedback on just the gameplay. Putting the game out there at a major Sony event is an invitation for people to judge the game as it is. Visuals and all. And those visuals are butt.

Gameplay wise, you have no idea how happy I am that the guard rolls are back to pre-13 status. Guard rolls were still usable in 13, but the fact that they ate the attackers inputs, enabling them to punish or re-position after the roll was just a stupid decision. JD needs to be buffed though if it's gonna have any use. Right now it just gives more meter and lessens guard bar damage, so unless the guard bar is super small, I see no reason for it to be there. No need to go nuts with a MotW style JD/GC system, but at least shave off a few frames of block stun. If SNK can clean up the visuals they're gonna have one hell of a game on their hands. If they can do that and include Oswald and Lin, they'll have the fucking GOAT fighter of this generation.

Seriously SNK, stop being assholes and bring back Oswald. Never before have I seen a company scrap such an awesome character.

Gameplay wise, you have no idea how happy I am that the guard rolls are back to pre-13 status. Guard rolls were still usable in 13, but the fact that they ate the attackers inputs, enabling them to punish or re-position after the roll was just a stupid decision.

GC rolls can't be punished.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Choco is so adorable. Plus, I can't wait for the SFV beta again. Will PC be the only one or is the beta for both? I wanna get in as many matches on both and level up.

Congrats to Momochi and Choco, it's cool that he didn't share the L and decided to marry her even though he didn't win.
Yeah, that's half.

And if you don't understand why they had to drop the 2D sprites then there isn't much else to say.

I assume it's because making sprites actually costs money, is there another reason?

Tularensis

Neo Member
GC rolls can't be punished.

You made me reinstall 13 just to confirm this, and you're right. They're still pretty useless compared to other KOFs where they could be used as full punishes for shitty blockstrings. However, sitting in training mode trying to confirm it made me wanna play again and none of my 13 friends are on steam right now. I hope you're happy.

Nightii

Banned
I assume it's because making sprites actually costs money, is there another reason?
That and the general stigma that 2D graphics (especially sprites) have on the larger mainstream gaming audience, most people simply give 2D the stink eye and even genuinely think it's lazier/easier to make stuff in 2D.

Of course, when your attempt at 3D looks like KOF XIV...

Preorder price still at $160.

Hopefully they honour this shit

They do

Greetings from Amazon.ca.

You saved CDN$ 50.28 with Amazon.ca's Pre-order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you the lowest price.

The following title(s) decreased in price:

Xenoblade Chronicles X - Wii U
Price on order date: CDN$ 69.99
Price charged at shipping: CDN$ 19.71
Lowest price before release date: CDN$ 19.71
Quantity: 1
Total Savings: CDN$ 50.28

You made me reinstall 13 just to confirm this, and you're right. They're still pretty useless compared to other KOFs where they could be used as full punishes for shitty blockstrings. However, sitting in training mode trying to confirm it made me wanna play again and none of my 13 friends are on steam right now. I hope you're happy.

You can still get those punishes but you'll want to guard cancel during the later frames of the blockstun induced by the move the opponent is cancelling. They're still your tool for those situations.

Dahbomb

i hate that dedicated fighting game forums are dead and dying

this transient social media shit is terrible
Yeah me too. Really rough for someone who doesn't use Twitter or FB.

I pretty much use this thread for that purpose because people tend to post relevant tweets here. Though I wished people would post the more interesting tweets and not "oh look what dumb ass thing X FGC personality said today".

Yeah me too. Really rough for someone who doesn't use Twitter or FB.

I pretty much use this thread for that purpose because people tend to post relevant tweets here. Though I wished people would post the more interesting tweets and not "oh look what dumb ass thing X FGC personality said today".
I'm not calling you out specifically on this, but if someone isn't willing to adapt and use social media, then you deserve to be left in the dark.

Everyone made off with almost half as much as the player above them. But man, FGs still have a lot of catching up to do with other competitive games.

The players made more than what SRK shows. They only counted prize money from Capcom. However, there were many events with big prize pools that added to a player's winnings. There were two Topanga Leagues, Canada Cup Masters Series, SXSW, Ultra Hyakkishu Hai, and the pot from entry fees, which if I'm not mistaken is $10 per player. So EVO had $22k extra prize money from entry fees that weren't accounted for.

Tularensis

Neo Member
You can still get those punishes but you'll want to guard cancel during the later frames of the blockstun induced by the move the opponent is cancelling. They're still your tool for those situations.

Yeah I just figured out the timing just now in training mode, the GC roll window is a lot later than I always figured it would be. I was practicing it vs Iori doing his regular 5C 6A 236A, and you have to cancel into the GC roll during the start up animation for the fb otherwise the input will get eaten. I wish I had been using it earlier vs Shen corner pressure. I've been eating that shit unchecked for years.

i'm talking specifically in relation to fighting games

social media is fine in general and has benefits, but i certainly wouldn't choose it over forums if we can only have one. really though, i just hate that it's killed forums instead of enhanced them

Zissou

I'm not calling you out specifically on this, but if someone isn't willing to adapt and use social media, then you deserve to be left in the dark.

Regardless of whether you actively use social media, if talk about a given fighter is concetrated on a single message board, newcomers have full and easy access to the accumulated information. With talk spread out across twitter, discord chats, etc., there is no central archive of info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom