• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone mind helping me practice not panicking while in the corner and using my buttons at the right time? I could also use a good corner combo for Chun.

Steam name is Scrub Li!

Dahbomb

I'm not calling you out specifically on this, but if someone isn't willing to adapt and use social media, then you deserve to be left in the dark.
Breh let's be real here this isn't the first time you have tried to call me out.

It's not that I feel left out in the dark, it's that we are less likely to have good conversations/discussions on Twitter with the character limit. Twitter just seems like a collection of drive by posts most of the time.

petghost

Banned
another great forum for actually dispersing knowledge is VFDC for virtua fighter. very well put together and helpful community.

MrDaravon

Yeah, when I was trying to actually get serious about learning SF4 back in AE 2012 I had a nightmare of a time trying to find anything. I remember specifically trying to look at Chun stuff and people kept saying check SRK which I guess is fine for frame data, but their forums are a fucking mess and a mish-mash of information from every version of the game, wound up being nearly useless and is probably part of why I didn't stick with it very long.

It's part of why I'm determined to get in on the ground floor for SFV so even if I don't get into it super competitively or play every single day or whatever I won't feel like I'm totally lost.

K.Sabot

If you play anime games you gotta follow people on twitter to get tech.

Dustloop is more or less dead, and misses a ton of the stuff that gets posted by JP players on twitter.

Zissou

Yeah, when I was trying to actually get serious about learning SF4 back in AE 2012 I had a nightmare of a time trying to find anything. I remember specifically trying to look at Chun stuff and people kept saying check SRK which I guess is fine for frame data, but their forums are a fucking mess and a mish-mash of information from every version of the game, wound up being nearly useless and is probably part of why I didn't stick with it very long.

It's part of why I'm determined to get in on the ground floor for SFV so even if I don't get into it super competitively or play every single day or whatever I won't feel like I'm totally lost.

Getting in on the ground floor is key. Stuff makes the rounds on social media when it's discovered then disappears into the ether, so you gotta be there every step of the way.

Dahbomb

where did marvel folks get all their tech from? youtube?

srk forums are a fucking mess.
SRK forums before design overhaul, SRK/Eventhubs and youtube. Usually there was a lot of tech in the forums especially character ones but tech never really expanded until someone made a video about it or some pro player talked about it indepth/used it in a match. Nowadays twitter is used to spread the tech but really it's just highlighting something on youtube.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i hate that dedicated fighting game forums are dead and dying

this transient social media shit is terrible
Feels like pretty much everything is moving towards either a Reddit sort of thing or a Facebook sort of thing.

Don't like it either TBH but what can you do.

Coda

Honestly this is why I come here, I love NeoGAF FGC. It feels like home and the discussions are legit. No other FGC news site or forum has compared IMO.

shaowebb

Honestly this is why I come here, I love NeoGAF FGC. It feels like home and the discussions are legit. No other FGC news site or forum has compared IMO.

For what its worth, Test Your Might is an amazing community. Incredible how much tech and open debate goes on. Plus with the enormous infraction list and point system on the board there makes it so it generally teaches folks how to mature on a forum for games where folks can get heated easily. I wish there were more sights designed like it for more games. Wonderful setup.

What are some good tech for Street Fighter on Twitter?

I guess I'm lucky in that my game is the most popular/active game in the FGC. Just go to youtube and there's a lot of options to talk about strategy and how to get better. Stuff like Cross Counter are amazing resources.

BadWolf

I assume it's because making sprites actually costs money, is there another reason?

Time is a huge factor as well, those sprites took too long to make. Not only that but they were having trouble finding artists skilled enough to work in that style which slowed things down even further.

As you said, it took them years and years to get those sprites to a count of about 30 or so for XIII, and that was with cutting corners in various smart ways.

Now consider that within about just 2 years they will have a cast of 50 characters for XIV made from scratch.

Feels like pretty much everything is moving towards either a Reddit sort of thing or a Facebook sort of thing.

Don't like it either TBH but what can you do.

i don't feel like it's a hopeless situation, i think it's the exact opposite, actually

we've got all the pieces for a really great community environment, we just aren't using them correctly

between forums, wikis, and social media we've got a place to have meaningful discussions, a way to archive relevant and optimal strategies, and a way to quickly spread information and connect with each other

the problem is that the presence of the last piece makes people too lazy to maintain the former pieces

and thinking about it more, two other pieces that should be mentioned just to complete the picture are streaming and video sites which make engaging and growing the community and explaining and teaching easier respectively

but yea, i think the only problem is that people don't want or see the need to put in effort to utilize every tool

I do not think TYM is moderated well. It is overly moderated and stifles the creation of content and discussion. That is one of the major reasons most top players do not use TYM and instead talk about the game on other outlets like skype.

Dahbomb

Reddit is a good place for quite a few games (though generally for non FGs). As long as you only stick to the specific game stuff.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I joined NeoGAF for #CrossAssault.

Honest to god.... that was my very first post/thread.

I joined when the whole Axel and VGX thing blew up, it was like reading through a drama and the plot never ended! Besides gossip, its a great place to just chill and talk about anime.

Reddit is a good place for quite a few games (though generally for non FGs). As long as you only stick to the specific game stuff.

League of Legends reddit is the pretty legit. Hearthstone reddit is alright. FGC reddit is just trash.

I joined when the whole Axel and VGX thing blew up, it was like reading through a drama and the plot never ended! Besides gossip, its a great place to just chill and talk about anime.

You had me nodding along.. until that ending =(

i hear mvc3 reddit is alright. thats like the only one I know about since my friend posts on there. well and I guess sf4 which did host that tourney so there's that

MrDaravon

Yeah pretty much this. Diablo 3 reddit is great too and so is the Bloodborne reddit (that lore post is legendary).

Yeah, game-specific reddits are usually solid. In addition to the Diablo 3 one the Final Fantasy Record Keeper one is also pretty great. With game-specific reddits you always tend to get a bit of elitism but they're generally pretty solid and newbie friendly. IIRC r/streetfighter is pretty good, and I think the Marvel 3 subreddit is good as well.

r/kappa was basically formed around a running joke/meme and as a result you get what you see there today. They certainly do good things like getting players out to events, but 90% of it is drama, shitposting, and NSFW stuff. To be fair I don't think it's really intended to be a "serious" resource for FGC learning or anything like that though, so more power to them.

Dahbomb

Marvel reddit is alright as long as there's no shitty drama going on. Shit was insufferable during the whole FChamp/KBR feud a little while back.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You had me nodding along.. until that ending =(

Everyone in this thread watches anime, no one escapes it. Didn't think Vulva was into it until he started speaking japanese...

Marvel reddit is alright as long as there's no shitty drama going on. Shit was insufferable during the whole FChamp/KBR feud a little while back.

I go there for combo video post. I basically know all I need to about the game at this point for my team. Marvel is like a side tournament game now with folks pushing it to be a main game. Glad I'm picking up Melee and Smash 4 to fill in the gap. Next will be SFV.

Zissou

i don't feel like it's a hopeless situation, i think it's the exact opposite, actually

we've got all the pieces for a really great community environment, we just aren't using them correctly

between forums, wikis, and social media we've got a place to have meaningful discussions, a way to archive relevant and optimal strategies, and a way to quickly spread information and connect with each other

the problem is that the presence of the last piece makes people too lazy to maintain the former pieces

and thinking about it more, two other pieces that should be mentioned just to complete the picture are streaming and video sites which make engaging and growing the community and explaining and teaching easier respectively

but yea, i think the only problem is that people don't want or see the need to put in effort to utilize every tool

It's really hard to get sustained group effort going (for anything), unfortunately, which is what wikis/forums need. You see some individuals doing their thing regardless, but content creation is hard/time-consuming.

shaowebb

Made it all the way through Remix Heart on Blaz Blue CPextend. Thought it was pretty entertaining but it got kinda tropey what with the hotsprings and all. Decided to find out about the comic to see if maybe it goes into more detail on things at the academy for half the cast as they were growing up. It does, but man if I thought the hotsprings was tropey then the manga is full blown trope lording. 3 pages in and everyone is changing in front of Mai, and there are constant scenes of Makoto kissing, cuddling or stripping.

NSFW example of what most of the Remix Heart manga is like

^ and thats toned down. Thing is it actually DOES go into great length about various grimoires and mysteries of the academy and the azure so I can honestly say that it is something I could call essential reading to get some perspective on the cast and the world in Blaz Blue. It titty-boobs a lot and theres the constant "oopsy someone's clothes came off or got groped" thing goin on, but...well I guess thats all I can say. It has its mysteries, and it expands the backgrounds of several main cast like Jin, Ragna, Kokonoe, Tsubaki, Makoto and Noel.

Take it for what it is...a manga that does what an all girl school manga does, but one that gives bits and pieces on BB.

That said...I still want Kajun and Mai as playable in Central Fiction. Plus whoever that buff teacher lady is at the Academy EDIT: Found her name is Estella McKenzie and since her whole room is filled with weight training gear I'd love for her to show up and be an armored power house :). All 3 seem like they'd have interesting playstyles. Especially Kajun who is tied to Kokonoe and who seems like an intelligence gathering trapster.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Based on Webb's post, if Capcom does swimsuit edition costumes for SFV....
lawd.png

Anne

I like how Dustloop tried to do a revamp and I said the ideas would kill the place and the low level players who were left would take it over as a social hub.

I usually don't get things like this that right.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

IMO what makes the difference is how well different social norms are enforced in communities. Like Dahbomb mentioned above, some subreddits can be great, both supportive and informative. When they're not, it's usually because some sort of self-policing failed and shit spun far too out of control of anyone.

Do any of you guys remember/know of 1up.com?

I didn't know that Shoe works for Sony now.
Almost all of the people at 1up ended up in multiple big gigs. Without exaggeration, I am confident in saying that the 1up days were probably the best time to be a gamer on the internet. Everything was fun, nothing was too serious, people were acutely honest and there was less conforming, all of the personalities were in their prime, including people at other places like GameSpot who later ended up in GiantBomb etc.

Either that or I really have completed the transition to jaded gamer.

vulva

Everyone in this thread watches anime, no one escapes it. Didn't think Vulva was into it until he started speaking japanese...

I go there for combo video post. I basically know all I need to about the game at this point for my team. Marvel is like a side tournament game now with folks pushing it to be a main game. Glad I'm picking up Melee and Smash 4 to fill in the gap. Next will be SFV.

I've seen a small handful of anime things in my life:
a couple episodes of dragonball z
dragonball (the good one)
aoi bungaku series
some studio ghibli stuff
little nemo
samurai pizza cats

I think that's about it. Please don't slander my name saying I watch anime.

shaowebb

Okay, really? The chapter that image is from turns into a beach adventure (obviously), but they have a bottle of gel that solidifies on the user to create clothing. So that means not only is it a beach scene but they wrote in a convoluted reason for the girls to strip naked and rub gel all over themselves...

JAPAN.

I guess I know what I need to do to sell copies now someday...Q get the lotion. Looks like I'll need to rub myself down for the cameras in a wig.
EDIT: Sigh...their swimsuits all melted off. Boy did I know see that one coming...

Its good thing Snake Eyez actually did get Top 8 and didn't go 0-2 like several other US players, or this Cultivation series would be lookin kinda lol right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom