• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree 100% about the little girl fighters. I have plenty of fighters to play without subjecting myself to that crap.
What about just plain old little fighters, played the heck outta Little Fighter 2 in my mIddle school days
G3keJxZ.jpg

So never.
Damn, ya'll stay crushing my hopes and dreams right after I post.
Skilletor has some of the most consistently reasonably opinions in this thread. You can't ignore the fact that almost every anime fighter has annoying tropes like little girl fighters and girls in maid outfits. That stuff is awful.
There are worse things. I just found out Jack-O is supposed to weigh 99 fucking pounds at 5'5". Now that shit right there is more unbelievable than a 300 year old tween.

Nyoro SF

Xrd was around that amount within the first month of launch on PS4 too.

Coming back to make a correction... that was the third month of launch

Also it didn't have all the DLC bundled like it does here

Also the PS4 version is not compatible with nearly every arcade stick and gamepad released in the past 15 years

maids are fun, wheres my blazblue maid, we only have a butler

Maids are fun indeed. There's nothing wrong with maids that can fight, it's funny.

Since I know there are some One Piece nerds in this thread; FANG remind anyone else of shounen cartoon villains? The way he talks, including the way his voice suddenly gets deeper and more menacing on occasion, the way he carries himself, and even his proportions remind me of villains like Buggy and Ceasar in One Piece (not to mention the focus on poison). Or even old Dragonball villains.

his trailer so you can maybe see what I mean http://youtu.be/GKjk7FKmY0Q

I need to hear his laugh before he can be a One Piece villain.

Kikirin

Looks beastly. Is he a zoner?

From the Mizuumi wiki:
http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Melty_Blood/Nero_Chaos

Nero Chaos is a character that relies heavily on summons and long-reaching normals. By taking advantage of many long reaching and air unblockable moves, a Nero player can keep an opponent locked down or keep his opponent from approaching easily. The bad news is that a lot of these moves have huge blind spots and leave him vulnerable to attacks from specific angles. He's also really tall, giving certain characters instant overheads on him.

I'm not familiar enough with the game to know what is representative of high level play for him, so someone else will have to help you there. This might help give a general idea though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrtt3ibhAus&feature=youtu.be&t=26m12s

Video DB: http://www.meltydb.com/resultall.php?1c=nero&1m=Any&tdb=any&filt=any

Nyoro SF

High level Nero just swings his big dick buttons around until he can put an animal out.

I only briefly remember watching some Melty Blood arcade footage and it looked like fighting Nero was an immense pain in the ass

Like no one could touch him

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with DoA because of that character. I worry what it means for the future of the franchise when that is so popular.

Seriously? That's a shame. I know a lot of people are really digging how 5 plays, and there's no reason to think 6 will backtrack on anything. I guess Hayashi went to far throwing Marie in though. I don't like her, her blank stare creeps me out, but she probably is the future.

There will probably be kid versions of Kasumi and Ayane in 6 lol

Itagaki would never have added Marie

Anne

I only briefly remember watching some Melty Blood arcade footage and it looked like fighting Nero was an immense pain in the ass

Like no one could touch him

It's an immense pain in the ass just because he can get kinda derpy and get away with it if you aren't on point. At high level players deal with him because dead zones and shit, but it's still obnoxious looking.

Skilletor

Seriously? That's a shame. I know a lot of people are really digging how 5 plays, and there's no reason to think 6 will backtrack on anything. I guess Hayashi went to far throwing Marie in though. I don't like her, her blank stare creeps me out, but she probably is the future.

There will probably be kid versions of Kasumi and Ayane in 6 lol

Itagaki would never have added Marie

Yeah, the outfits are getting way too creepy, and then they put her on DoAX, so now I don't even want to look at threads about the game because I just don't want to see a little girl in a bikini.

It is a shame since I love the series, but I'm not down with that future.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There's been a few games (Blazblue) that I immediately wrote-off on aesthetics and character design alone.

...But I'm also planning to main R. Mika, so I'm probably a hypocrite.

This though:

Yeah, I'm pretty much done with DoA because of that character. I worry what it means for the future of the franchise when that is so popular.

Marie Rose is legitimately disgusting, and I otherwise don't even have any issues with DOA.

Skilletor

There's been a few games (Blazblue) that I immediately wrote-off on aesthetics and character design alone.

...But I'm also planning to main R. Mika, so I'm probably a hypocrite.

This though:

Marie Rose is legitimately disgusting, and I otherwise don't even have any issues with DOA.

I love Mika for the same reason I like players like Pepeday and Itabashi Gief, they all just look like they're having fun. I love that about Mika, because that's how I feel about fighters.

That being said, as soon as I can put more clothes on Mika, I will, lol.

Sixfortyfive

I mean, you could model-swap Mika for Nadeshiko and cut the bust size in half and I'd be happy with it, but on the other hand, Mika herself is so stupid that it kind of sort of wraps around to being ironically cool... or something. I dunno.

ShinMaruku

Remember this pic the other day?

DZgseTv.jpg

Well he followed it up with an article.

https://mrkingfunk.wordpress.com/2015/12/04/player-perspective/
I love his first statment that just playing alot is absolute fuckery in getting better. Anytime anybody tells me that I laugh. It's a huge reason why fighting games are the size they are. What they 'should be' be damned.

As to Marie, I would worry if they next character is another in they archetype, the fact that Honoka is thick as hell along side Lady Kstoute means nobody really knows where they are going.

Only shame about Marie to me is it gave people a good reason to snipe DOA where even if she was not in it they'd never play it.
Grant you not talking about people in this thread, but we all know these people in the FGC

Time will tell if the Marie thing goes far. As to the people saying having young Ayane and Misty, in DOA they were already that. They were always under age before 5. Hell one was actually 14 in a few games. :p

Coda

I love Mika for the same reason I like players like Pepeday and Itabashi Gief, they all just look like they're having fun. I love that about Mika, because that's how I feel about fighters.

That being said, as soon as I can put more clothes on Mika, I will, lol.

Haha same. R. Mika is all about the fun and not taking herself super seriously (aside from her wrestling) which is why she is a great character. But I agree, I'm anxiously awaiting her first alt costume, hopefully Capcom delivers. It could be really really bad or really really good

Kalamari

How is he sage?

Alex Valle made the hard read of fighters on Steam?

He's been gently nudging the fgc in the pc direction, a direction that allows for a greater number of sponsors for events. More sponsors = more money = sustainability of events. However, you could make the argument that this means more eSports-like coverage, but as long as organizers are receptive to the community, hopefully this won't happen.

Sixfortyfive

He's been gently nudging the fgc in the pc direction, a direction that allows for a greater number of sponsors for events. More sponsors = more money = sustainability of events. However, you could make the argument that this means more eSports-like coverage, but as long as organizers are receptive to the community, hopefully this won't happen.

I have a few responses in mind, but I want to know if you attend tournaments before I bother.

Anne

Again, the day I'm told to run a several hundred man open bracket on PCs is the day I quit or start charging real working money for the bullshit I'll have to put up with.

ShinMaruku

I love how people misread me. Thought I'd instantly pick Mika and and Laura and completely missing. Or how I never played DOAX.
tumblr_mpxp1q86ec1rje51ao2_r1_400.gif

Good on Ya Capcom. Love the idea will never play those characters. :E

PC definitely would be good for the money in the scene. Also it wouldnt be a hassle for tournies if developers would learn how to implement adaptive controller interpreters into their PC versions (the only reason console tournaments are easier to run)

Anne

PC definitely would be good for the money in the scene. Also it wouldnt be a hassle for tournies if developers would learn how to implement adaptive controller interpreters into their PC versions (the only reason console tournaments are easier to run)

There are other issues besides that, mainly monetary ones. Basically every grassroots event is having volunteers show up with consoles even to keep cost down. Even if stick swapping is fixed there are other PC related issues to deal with too.

ShinMaruku

She was 15 in that game >_>

But that's another discussion not for here. NEC is coming up I hope some of you watch the DOA portion it's kinda their capcom cup where they put in a bit on the pot bonus. Really though for DOA5 they should make Sony put some into it too make it a 100k prize purse. They unlike most other games can actually fund that shit though DLC easy.

There are other issues besides that, mainly monetary ones. Basically every grassroots event is having volunteers show up with consoles even to keep cost down. Even if stick swapping is fixed there are other PC related issues to deal with too.
money and stick swapping is the only real problem. And I'm more referring to large events. large events could solve the money issue with sponsors.

Sixfortyfive

I can't for a second believe that there's anyone who attends FGC events who also thinks PC is a good idea for tournaments.

And I'm saying this as someone who has pretty much no intention of buying a PS4.

I can't for a second believe that there's anyone who attends FGC events who also thinks PC is a good idea for tournaments.

And I'm saying this as someone who has pretty much no intention of buying a PS4.
its definitely not right now, having to reboot a game to get it to recognize the next stick is just unplayable

Anne

money and stick swapping is the only real problem. And I'm more referring to large events. large events could solve the money issue with sponsors.

You'd have to bug Curly on this since he deals with bigger stuff than me, but those would have to be some ridiculous sponsors still I'd think, and you're edging out any grassroots stuff due to parity. If we wanna play events on PC and go that route, we'd basically have to concede having large open events outside of whatever the esport that's being sponsored is.

ShinMaruku

Only people thinking pc is a good idea is the people who want easy sponsorship deals adpating old methods to fit the games. Personally I'd like a fighting game to build it's own thing and never have to use other things. PC market can't really mix with fighting games.

Skilletor

My PC randomly won't allow two sticks to work in SF4, but work fine for every other fighter. Not all the time. Just randomly. Then we just have to restart it until the sticks work.

I'm imagining a situation where we have to troubleshoot every little problem that might happen with PC, especially since they wouldn't be uniform, and...no.

Not a good idea.

Dahbomb

Only people thinking pc is a good idea is the people who want easy sponsorship deals adpating old methods to fit the games. Personally I'd like a fighting game to build it's own thing and never have to use other things. PC market can't really mix with fighting games.
Damn, better tell ASW and Capcom to stop releasing fighting games on PC then

PC gaming has a ton of overwhelming advantages but affordability and ease of use are definitely not among them

I'd use a PC over a console for just about everything when it comes to personal use, but I wouldn't wish it on anybody to set up a dozen PCs for multiple games at a fighting game tournament that needs to run properly and on-schedule for hundreds of people. Esports events just need to set up 10 PCs for the main stage and they fuck it up all the time

Kalamari

I have a few responses in mind, but I want to know if you attend tournaments before I bother.

I've attended a couple, NWM the last 2 years. But I'm not a huge competitor, I mostly play casuals.

Again, the day I'm told to run a several hundred man open bracket on PCs is the day I quit or start charging real working money for the bullshit I'll have to put up with.

No doubt that consoles are more convenient for tournaments, I can't argue with that. But I feel that the comunity needs a little diversification in the area of sponsors for the long term. If Madcatz goes belly up, or decides to stop sponsoring events, who will be there to pick up the slack?

Not looking to pick a fight with anyone here, just saying what's on my brain, I could be totally wrong about this. If you speak your mind, I won't insult your taste in anime or anything.

Dahbomb

I've attended a couple, NWM the last 2 years. But I'm not a huge competitor, I mostly play casuals.

No doubt that consoles are more convenient for tournaments, I can't argue with that. But I feel that the comunity needs a little diversification in the area of sponsors for the long term. If Madcatz goes belly up, or decides to stop sponsoring events, who will be there to pick up the slack?

Not looking to pick a fight with anyone here, just saying what's on my brain, I could be totally wrong about this. If you speak your mind, I won't insult your taste in anime or anything.
Razer of course.

AYY

gently nudging

lmao

You'd have to bug Curly on this since he deals with bigger stuff than me, but those would have to be some ridiculous sponsors still I'd think, and you're edging out any grassroots stuff due to parity. If we wanna play events on PC and go that route, we'd basically have to concede having large open events outside of whatever the esport that's being sponsored is.
I havent looked into what sponsorships will do, but I know they will cover a lot. Enough systems to run a major FGC event? dunno. Im just looking at what the benefits would be. Sponsorships and universal stick support are very nice, it would also allow setups to be reused for more games, and it wouldnt get in the way of grassroots events running on consoles.

Still, as long as stick swapping is fucked up its a moot point

There are ways you could do the "little kid" character archetype without pandering. If you've ever seen Golden Child, someone like a young Dalai Lama would be awesome.

Thanks, man. :D I didn't even click the spoiler until I saw you respond.

Agree 100% about the little girl fighters. I have plenty of fighters to play without subjecting myself to that crap.

I wasn't going to buy it, but 23 bucks for 4k Xrd with all colors and DLC? Sold.
:)

sexism, smallism, smh

shout outs to marie rose
Marie Rose is better than most of that stuff.

Damn, ya'll stay crushing my hopes and dreams right after I post.

There are worse things. I just found out Jack-O is supposed to weigh 99 fucking pounds at 5'5". Now that shit right there is more unbelievable than a 300 year old tween.
Totally believable. I know a girl that is 5'6" and 98 pounds.

maids are fun, wheres my blazblue maid, we only have a butler
Elphelt is basically a maid outfit. BlazBlue will get Mai, who has insinuations of that archetype.

From the Mizuumi wiki:

I'm not familiar enough with the game to know what is representative of high level play for him, so someone else will have to help you there. This might help give a general idea though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrtt3ibhAus&feature=youtu.be&t=26m12s

Video DB: http://www.meltydb.com/resultall.php?1c=nero&1m=Any&tdb=any&filt=any
BOSS, thank you!

I wish YouTube would have a feature to help us sort gameplay videos by skill level. I hate that I look up "[character] gameplay" and single player stuff is almost always the first to show up.

Sixfortyfive

What do you even mean when you say "universal stick support," though?

Just from running the SF5 beta with friends, every new goddamn stick that was plugged in required another driver download before Windows would even do anything with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom