• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

I'm not fighting, I just have problems with tone. We need diversification of sponsors and all sorts of other stuff no doubt, I'm just saying we can't be doing the things we are doing now and go that route. Something drastic about how we run events and do things would have to change, or something about how we get money will have to change.

Releasing stuff on PC is cool and all, but it basically affects what we're doing in no visible way other than maybe picking up a few new players or getting some revenue for pubs. It's cool, I like it, but it gets a big "whatever" from me (besides Melty being recognized outside of Japan).

I think PCs would be fine as long as they exist alongside consoles. They aren't going to work everywhere, but there's definitely a time and space for PCs to have a positive impact. Specifically, for the larger events. For events that aren't and don't need to be 100% community run. Something on the level of Capcom Cup could be played on PCs, where the focus is only on one game. And if we're going to get more events that are as big or bigger, we'll probably need the kind of sponsorship that PCs can bring.

I don't think the scene is really ready for that now though.

Marie Rose is better than most of that stuff.

Elaborate please.

What do you even mean when you say "universal stick support," though?

Just from running the SF5 beta with friends, every new goddamn stick that was plugged in required another driver download before Windows would even do anything with it.
any stick thats plugged in should be recognized for at least dinput. As long as the game recognizes that (SF5 beta from what I knew needed xinput, Ultra on PC doesnt) all the game needs to do is check for new sticks getting hooked up and accept the input as a new controller.

Its actually pretty damn simple from a coding standpoint, they just dont do it. Theres a few anomalies I'm sure that exist (like the dualshock 3) that wouldnt be recognized without a driver on windows, but overall most controllers/sticks would be recognized for at least dinput

Dahbomb

They don't need to mix to make them a profit. Hell look at KoeiTecmo they shit out pc releases just for pure profit.
Your Koei Tecmo example is abysmal. If Capcom shitted out a garbage PC SFV then shit will hit the fan. PC market is pretty sizeable now, even Japanese companies aren't ignoring it anymore.

It's not about just making a profit, it's about cultivating a fan base on multiple platforms and increasing your demographic. DMC used to be a game known to be console exclusive with most of the hardcore fans on consoles now it has almost flipped with probably more hardcore fans playing it on PC. And that's all because the PC version of DMC4 was god tier. Capcom ended up making quite a lot of money off of the PC version of DMC4 as it gave it really long legs, over the course of years it kept gaining 100k in sales per year finally breaking the series first 3 million sales.

Making bad PC ports to gain some quick cash is extremely short sighted and is exactly why DOA is not going to expand beyond its current customer base.

Skilletor

What do you even mean when you say "universal stick support," though?

Just from running the SF5 beta with friends, every new goddamn stick that was plugged in required another driver download before Windows would even do anything with it.

Beta didn't work with PS3/PS4 sticks, which is hilarious to me since Madcatz is making SF5 sticks.

Had to use some 3rd party thing like joy2key.

I'm hoping it's fixed for this next phase. I want to see what it looks like on PC.

Beta didn't work with PS3/PS4 sticks, which is hilarious to me since Madcatz is making SF5 sticks.

Had to use some 3rd party thing like joy2key.

I'm hoping it's fixed for this next phase. I want to see what it looks like on PC.
its not just PS3/4 sticks, SF5 beta doesnt recognize anything dinput, which is a pretty huge fuckup if it releases that way. I really doubt it does, USFIV PC recognizes dinput

Your Koei Tecmo example is abysmal. If Capcom shitted out a garbage PC SFV then shit will hit the fan. PC market is pretty sizeable now, even Japanese companies aren't ignoring it anymore.

It's not about just making a profit, it's about cultivating a fan base on multiple platforms and increasing your demographic. DMC used to be a game known to be console exclusive with most of the hardcore fans on consoles now it has almost flipped with probably more hardcore fans playing it on PC. And that's all because the PC version of DMC4 was god tier. Capcom ended up making quite a lot of money off of the PC version of DMC4 as it gave it really long legs, over the course of years it kept gaining 100k in sales per year finally breaking the series first 3 million sales.

Making bad PC ports to gain some quick cash is extremely short sighted and is exactly why DOA is not going to expand beyond its current customer base.
Well said

This is also why I'm not expecting ASW to really build a stable PC audience. The gap between releases, the pricing structure for updates, netcode and the increasing need for crossplay are all going to become key things to look at for all the big boys porting fighters to PC from now on. Capcom is poised to make the best moves in most of these areas. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next Netherrealm fighter has to offer (outside of the online lol). ASW has barely taken the first step by putting anything at all on PC. Namco needed to be here like a year ago. The lack of any presence from traditional 3D fighters on PC puzzles me.

Dahbomb

As far as PC for tournaments go we aren't there yet. Maybe PCs can be used for invitational type events that only have a limited amount of top players and you don't need many set ups. But which game is even going to do that? Not Smash, not SFV because of Sony, not Marvel, not KI, not KOF14 and probably not MK or Tekken either. Maybe some random anime games but which event is going to be big enough for anime games that PC sponsors would even give a shit? Maybe they can try it for KVO I guess assuming ASW even keeps the PC versions on par with the actual most recent versions of their gamws which is a big if.

Line_HTX

But that's another discussion not for here. NEC is coming up I hope some of you watch the DOA portion it's kinda their capcom cup where they put in a bit on the pot bonus. Really though for DOA5 they should make Sony put some into it too make it a 100k prize purse. They unlike most other games can actually fund that shit though DLC easy.

Oh, this is that Battle Royale thing that it culminates at the end at NEC? They should call that one Team Ninja Cup, lol.

100K into the prize, huh. That would be better than, what did they say, 10 K in the NEC pot?

Nyoro SF

Damn, ya'll stay crushing my hopes and dreams right after I post.

There are worse things. I just found out Jack-O is supposed to weigh 99 fucking pounds at 5'5". Now that shit right there is more unbelievable than a 300 year old tween.

I have a co-worker that matches that exact description of 5'5 and sub 100 pounds and she is 23 years old

Sayad

There are worse things. I just found out Jack-O is supposed to weigh 99 fucking pounds at 5'5". Now that shit right there is more unbelievable than a 300 year old tween.
I don't see how something that can actually happen IRL is more unbelievable than a 300yo tween. But yea, Japanese fighting games devs have no idea how weight works.

LegatoB

PC releases are great for (net)players at home. I'm a big supporter of PC releases for fighting games.

For tournaments, consoles are the only practical choice. They are consistent, known platforms. We know what controllers will work with which systems, we don't need to install drivers or troubleshoot variances between setups. We don't need to worry about developers not properly supporting DirectInput or Xinput or either or both, or needing to repeatedly quit and relaunch the game to chance controllers, or that Dude C's laptop isn't quite up to snuff to run the game at full speed all the time which throws off players, etc., etc.

Talk to the Melty Blood guys about how much fun it is to run a large open-bracket tournament on PC.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Just helping the Atlanta scene get the SF5 beta up and running on their struggle laptops has been a joke in and of itself. Barely anyone has good enough hardware to run it, and even if they did, you gotta double-check their video card control panel for bad settings (too much buffering / input lag) and hope that they don't have any bloated background programs or malware that fuck up the game in progress. It's a total non-starter for any event that's bring-your-own-system, even if the myriad stick/controller issues didn't exist. And with how much that people complained about a split scene between 360 and PS3 for Capcom games, I don't think people would be very happy with even more deviation in hardware performance.

Wouldn't work at big events either without a whole lot of money and a lot of extra staff, preparation, and discipline. Almost every fucking major I've been to has had problems just making sure that their consoles have the latest balance patches downloaded. You expect these people to be able to handle a PC?

I have a co-worker that matches that exact description of 5'5 and sub 100 pounds and she is 23 years old
I don't see how something that can actually happen IRL is more unbelievable than a 300yo tween. But yea, Japanese fighting games devs have no idea how weight works.
I'm talking about her figure with those numbers, not the numbers in a vacuum. There are humans of all shapes and sizes, but her numbers and those looks sound almost Sagat tier unbelievable to me.

Shouta

PC isn't a very good platform for tournaments as it currently is. Never mind game support, it's simply a logistical nightmare. You can't use any PC that gets brought in because hardware configurations will vary too much. Then there's obviously issues with folks data on those computers and all that.

To make it work, you'd need all the PCs to be running the same configuration and that's not possible without a lot of money in the hands of an Event Organizer or big sponsor to back them up. That's a level no one is at currently nor can feasibly even do.

Consoles provide too many benefits to fighting games to not use them. Unified hardware, relatively low cost, easily transportable, etc.

Nyoro SF

PC releases are great for (net)players at home. I'm a big supporter of PC releases for fighting games.

For tournaments, consoles are the only practical choice. They are consistent, known platforms. We know what controllers will work with which systems, we don't need to install drivers or troubleshoot variances between setups. We don't need to worry about developers not properly supporting DirectInput or Xinput or either or both, or needing to repeatedly quit and relaunch the game to chance controllers, or that Dude C's laptop isn't quite up to snuff to run the game at full speed all the time which throws off players, etc., etc.

Talk to the Melty Blood guys about how much fun it is to run a large open-bracket tournament on PC.

Agreed

I love playing my fighters on PC, but for tournaments there are just too many variables that can fuck it up.

I'm talking about her figure with those numbers, not the numbers in a vacuum. There area humans of all shapes and sizes, but her numbers sound almost Sagat tier unbelievable to me.

From what I saw though Jack-O is small and her figure is really composed to match. There's nothing I would say that's outlandish about Jack-O looking at her body size and shape... compared to say, Potemkin, who has those tiny legs holding up that huge body Johnny Bravo style lol

Dahbomb

Man screw this little anime girl non sense, just escaped that shit from the OPM thread.

One of these days I feel like I will get perma banned for popping off on it.

From what I saw though Jack-O is small and her figure is really composed to match. There's nothing I would say that's outlandish about Jack-O looking at her body size and shape... compared to say, Potemkin, who has those tiny legs holding up that huge body Johnny Bravo style lol
The closest woman I could find was Sonya Thomas after googling and she is 5 inches shorter than Jack O (who is not small for a woman unless you live in Northern Europe or something). I mean, I didn't and still don't walk around with a scale hoping to get many women's other digits, but that figure at that height and weight is more magical than Platinum the Trinity.
Jack-o is also a valentine, so shes not a natural human
No, I'll tell you who isn't a normal human. Sonya Thomas and those tiny Japanese girls that have black holes for stomachs. Where does it all go?
Man screw this little anime girl non sense, just escaped that shit from the OPM thread.

Yeah, yesterday I actually got pissed off in there which I regret because I go to anime threads for fun, but the OPM thread has become toxic. It sucks that things can get so bad over a single character.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, yesterday I actually got pissed off in there which I regret because I go to anime threads for fun, but the OPM thread has become toxic. It sucks that things can get so bad over a single character.

Were you really not expecting that? I mean come on look at her. Plus OPM caught the interest of casual/non anime watchers so yeah I saw that coming. MH didn't help with that skirt shot.

Coda

I'm sorry but screw PC for fighting games. There's no way of streamlining the way the game runs such as on a console where every time you boot the game up it's consistent. Plus the pure size of a PC is not really suitable for tournament settings. I don't care that consoles will always be less powerful than PCs, they just are always the more functional approach when it comes to fighting games.

I think it's just that people rally the lolicon defense force because there's a difference between "taiga-chan kawaii" weirdness and "hey want to get in my van" pedophilia, and they think they're being misrepresented when people call them wack, but I feel like if someone drew a Venn diagram of the two groups it wouldn't be flattering at all.

I mean, whatever fetishes they're into is fine, but don't expect people to be non-judgmental.

Dont ever watch anime. I watched Death Note up until J died or whatever

Since people were telling me its not your typical anime.

Really terrible. Good premise for like the first 2 episodes and then it fell into the usual problem of Animes not being able to tell a coherent story without deviating off into a bunch of nonsense even the dialogue is laughably bad. Then this random girl shows up and killed the cool mature theme they had going on even further.

Not watching anymore shitty anime what a waste of time.

Seirei no Moribito and Juuni Kokki are good tho
ixgr.png

Were you really not expecting that? I mean come on look at her. Plus OPM caught the interest of casual/non anime watchers so yeah I saw that coming. MH didn't help with that skirt shot.
I don't know. It seems like people handled Pri Pri and Darkshine with a lot of maturity.
I think it's just that people rally the lolicon defense force because there's a difference between "taiga-chan kawaii" weirdness and "hey want to get in my van" pedophilia, and they think they're being misrepresented when people call them wack, but I feel like if someone drew a Venn diagram of the two groups it wouldn't be flattering at all.

I mean, whatever fetishes they're into is fine, but don't expect people to be non-judgmental.
There is nothing cute about that girl. She is a walking, talking and punching disaster.
https://www.humblebundle.com/?utm_source=Link&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Humble NEOGEO Bundle

The greatest humble bundle ever.

Garou
Samsho V
Metal Slug X
Sengoku 3

Fuck yes.
Holy crap

Are all of these going to be on steam? Wat

jerry1594

Starting with street fighter. Musclebound roid freaks everywhere who are 5'9 and 160 pounds
said:
Sagat
Birthplace Thailand
Species Human
Height 7'4" (226 cm)
Weight 172 lbs (78 kg) 111 kg
Lmao
https://www.humblebundle.com/?utm_source=Link&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Humble NEOGEO Bundle

The greatest humble bundle ever.

Garou
Samsho V
Metal Slug X
Sengoku 3

Fuck yes.
Holy Fuckkkk!!!!!!!

Wait what the fuck. Browser games?

Kalamari

I never put much stock in character descriptions. The Japanese always have some strange infatuation with blood type and how it determines your personality or something. I wonder if they have some similar infatuation with weight.

Beckx

Wat.

Someone explain this Humble Bundle, are we actually getting downloadable .exe files for each game or are they trapped in browsers?

Because OMG. I don't care if it's just emulated ROMs, this is amazing.

jerry1594

Wat.

Someone explain this Humble Bundle, are we actually getting downloadable .exe files for each game or are they trapped in browsers?

Because OMG. I don't care if it's just emulated ROMs, this is amazing.

You can play in the browser or download the roms it seems.

doa on PC was a travesty. it could have sold gangbusters if Koei would have embraced the modding community or at the least established a viable platform for further titles.

ShinMaruku

If you think ASW is gonna hit this one out the park, that's gonna end in dissapointment. Capcom, what you said is indeed correct. That said DOA has a larger fanbase than the other fighting games if you check their sales and who plays them, it's not a good thing to say this is why it's not going to grow outside it's fanbase.

Shouta

Yeah, can't expect folks to be non-judgmental. However, folks rightly expect people not to be assholes. Unfortunately, that's not the case. These discussions wouldn't blow up if people would put more thought into their arguments (on both sides) and also not lump everyone with criminals.

shaowebb

Holy shit this Neogeo Humble Bundle is amazing. Plus more games later?! YES. YES NOW. YES IN MY HANDS OHGODTWINKLESTARGARUOSENGOKU3ALLATONCEOHMYGOD!!!!!

EDIT: Looks like I got some extras too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom