• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

Remember this pic the other day?

DZgseTv.jpg

Well he followed it up with an article.

https://mrkingfunk.wordpress.com/2015/12/04/player-perspective/

The novice bit is more of my area of thinking.

Dahbomb

I never had a problem with lolicon stuff until it seeped into every facet of anime culture and became a major driving force of the industry even influencing games. Like I didn't have a problem with it before because it was more niche but now the people who support it have out walleted the rest of the market.

It's bad in games too. Series like Tekken started adding characters like Alisa and Chloe to get that demographic (because Xiayou wasn't enough for them, they wanted more). Some games are exclusively these types of characters.

Anime and Japanese only games (especially Vita games) are put within stones throw range of pedophilia in the eyes of the general public and that is just really sad.

So you're not coming from the sexualizing a younger character position, you just hate little girls?!

disgusting lol
I don't think little girls belong in a fighting game. I don't want to fight against or beat up little girls. I don't see how you translate that to a hatred of children.

I don't see Platinum or Rachel as being sexualized, so it's not even in my mindspace right now.

Shouta

I never had a problem with lolicon stuff until it seeped into every facet of anime culture and became a major driving force of the industry even influencing games. Like I didn't have a problem with it before because it was more niche but now the people who support it have out walleted the rest of the market.

It's bad in games too. Series like Tekken started adding characters like Alisa and Chloe to get that demographic (because Xiayou wasn't enough for them, they wanted more). Some games are exclusively these types of characters.

Anime and Japanese only games (especially Vita games) are put within stones throw range of pedophilia in the eyes of the general public and that is just really sad.

But Alisa, Chloe, and Xiaoyu (nowadays) aren't lolicon stuff. It's fanbase pandering. lol

Shouta

What fanbase are they pandering too?

I used fanbase but I probably make it clearer with the term otaku pandering. Robot Girls and Idols in the case of Alisa and Chloe. Xiaoyu had a fanbase from previous games.

I don't think you understand what lolicon actually refers to. The term doesn't refer to just cute girls.

If anything Tekken is still pandering more toward the usual Western audience tastes. 2/3rds of the cast is buff angry dudes.

True, lol.

JeTmAn81

I don't think little girls belong in a fighting game. I don't want to fight against or beat up little girls. I don't see how you translate that to a hatred of children.

I don't see Platinum or Rachel as being sexualized, so it's not even in my mindspace right now.

What about Servbot in Marvel 2. Robots are girls, right?

Line_HTX

You forgot about Lili, who is for those who like rich, haughty EU blondes, and is really popular among casual Tekken fans besides Alisa or Xiaoyu, lol

And Lili isn't even pandering to that shit, unlike Marie Rose.

Speaking of waifus, lolicons, and pandering.

That BB spinoff visual novel thing, or namely the sequel to that, is on sale on PSN. Maybe Q or one of you wants to get in on that.

I've been reading this and biting my tongue but I just feel the need to ask why people seem to always equate young-looking female characters with sexuality? I don't mean to judge but I don't see Marie Rose and think "oh yeah, she's meant to titilate paedophiles", instead my mind goes "oh my god, that's a really cute getup. It looks like moi-meme-moitie" plus as someone who is known to occasionally act like a spoilt brat in certain situations and is generally an obnoxious tease when playing fighting games, I can relate to her attitude :p
I'm curious what you think of female fans of characters like these, even if the thought was "I didn't think about them at all" What about people who cosplay as them? Are they trying to capture the attention of paedophiles or is there the possibility might like the characters for non-sexual reasons?

Do people really think we live in a world where the mass market is either only, or a majority, men who sexually fantasize about female children? That seems like a very sad view to have of the world and humanity if you ask me... not to mention probably highly unrealistic :/

I apologize to shouta as I don't want to really add any fuel to this argument but I'm honestly at a loss to the thought process behind it sometimes :/

What about Servbot in Marvel 2. Robots are girls, right?
Servbot is the manliest man. Actually one of my favorite Marvel 2 inclusions. I wish he or Issun would be in Marvel 4. Just give Issun like...1000 life, but let him duck under every attack in the game, have Strider teleports with Dormammu range safety, and normals (sword strikes) the size of Vergil's.

Speaking of waifus, lolicons, and pandering.

That BB spinoff visual novel thing, or namely the sequel to that, is on sale on PSN. Maybe Q or one of you wants to get in on that.
Wait, that's a game? I assumed it was a manga or something.

Wait, that's a game? I assumed it was a manga or something.
There are manga spin offs, but there are now at the moment two visual novel (games) spin offs on PS3/Vita. I think those are set in an actual alternate/alternate world universe and have less of a tie in to BB than the various manga.

it's just a hyperbolic statement. me saying you hate little girls in fighting games isn't thinking that you hate actual children, because i don't equate 2D and 3D

but yea, i thought you were coming from a different perspective than you were until you clarified the marie rose thing

on some level I can sort of understand the incentives in place for developers/creators to do stuff like that, even outside of Harada being an idolmaster fan. It's just free money from the sort of people who like that stuff, so why not include a waifu in your game or a loli in your anime, it's not enough to put off most of the normals and has a lot of appeal towards a niche but very profitable fanbase. It's like including microtransactions in your game: if someone's going to pay money for easy fatalities then why wouldn't you let them give you money?

When I get home I'll definitely buy the bundle. I wouldn't mind if more classics were brought to pc this way tbh. It would probably be easier to make roms rather then a legit standalone game.

There are manga spin offs, but there are now at the moment two visual novel (games) spin offs on PS3/Vita. I think those are set in an actual alternate/alternate world universe and have less of a tie in to BB than the various manga.
Oh, interesting.

it's just a hyperbolic statement. me saying you hate little girls in fighting games isn't thinking that you hate actual children, because i don't equate 2D and 3D

but yea, i thought you were coming from a different perspective than you were until you clarified the marie rose thing
K.

Dahbomb

I don't see Marie Rose and think "oh yeah, she's meant to titilate paedophiles", instead my mind goes "oh my god, that's a really cute getup. It looks like moi-meme-moitie".
Yup my mind definitely, 100% does not go "oh my god, that's a really cute get up. It looks like moi-meme-moite". Mostly because I don't even know what that last phrase even means.

I also don't equate that design to pedophilia but rather otakus who are into waifu stuff.

Young looking female characters aren't always sexual in design. Like Son Son for example. But many of these characters in Japanese games these days are.

Beckx

This Humble Bundle. $10 to get legal ROMs of like half of SNK's output of classic fighting games, including some of the best ever. This is...more companies with arcade libraries need to do this.

It's fun to calculate how much it would have cost to buy all these for a NeoGeo back in the day.

Yup my mind definitely, 100% does not go "oh my god, that's a really cute get up. It looks like moi-meme-moite". Mostly because I don't even know what that last phrase even means.

I also don't equate that design to pedophilia but rather otakus who are into waifu stuff.

Young looking female characters aren't always sexual in design. Like Son Son for example. But many of these characters in Japanese games these days are.
Oh... you said lolicon, which a lot of people usually say when they mean paedophilia, considering it's usually used in the same sort of way as siscon, brocon and whatnot. Sorry for the misunderstanding :eek:

Heh, fair enough on not knowing gothic lolita fashion brands I guess. The point I was trying to make is that not everyone who likes character designs like Marie Rose is a 'waifu' person or even necessarily male and I find it odd that those who dislike the designs don't seem to acknowledge or even care about it :p

Kalamari

This Humble Bundle. $10 to get legal ROMs of like half of SNK's output of classic fighting games, including some of the best ever. This is...more companies with arcade libraries need to do this.

It's fun to calculate how much it would have cost to buy all these for a NeoGeo back in the day.

Let alone the cost of a Neo Geo.

I've been reading this and biting my tongue but I just feel the need to ask why people seem to always equate young-looking female characters with sexuality

Why do you think developers have to clarify that Marie Rose's age is actually 18?

A fictional adult, but she's designed to look, act and sound like a minor. This isn't rocket science. It's easy to see why the character is the way it is and it should be equally easy to understand why its gross.

Kikirin

...instead my mind goes "oh my god, that's a really cute getup. It looks like moi-meme-moitie"

Though I'm not familiar with the brand mentioned, I'm of a similar mindset. Looking up moi-meme-moitie, I definitely dig those threads. But holy check those prices!

Shouta

So it's really just sexualization that's the problem? Eh, that's fine. That's my issue with anime now too. There's too much of it. In small, tasteful doses, it's great but overload makes it awful.

I don't have an issue with young characters in anime and games, actually young or the 1000 year old dragon variety. I do have an issue when it's sexualizing a character that's young in context and/or behavior. That's straight up clearly wrong.

Why do you think developers have to clarify that Marie Rose's age is actually 18?

A fictional adult, but she's designed to look, act and sound like a minor. This isn't rocket science.

Yeah, that's kind of my issue with Marie Rose. Her design isn't a real problem because it's in the realm of possibility. However, her attitude, mannerisms, and speech are obviously tuned to give her an air that she's a child. That's the troublesome element of it all.

So it's really just sexualization that's the problem? Eh, that's fine. That's my issue with anime now too. There's too much of it. In small, tasteful doses, it's great but overload makes it awful.

I don't have an issue with young characters in anime and games, actually young or the 1000 year old dragon variety. I do have an issue when it's sexualizing a character that's young in context and/or behavior. That's straight up clearly wrong.

Yeah, that's kind of my issue with Marie Rose. Her design isn't a real problem because it's in the realm of possibility. However, her attitude, mannerisms, and speech are obviously tuned to give her an air that she's a child. That's the troublesome element of it all.

yea same. Though I probably wont ever play aquapazza.

Skilletor

All of this, I agree with it.

When people start using japanese phrases to describe these tropes, I mentally check out.

shaowebb

Holy shit yes! Thank you based Tizoc for the Fightcade help.

Got the Neogeo bundle, installed the games, went to the folders where each game installed and found the zip file for the game because this bundle actually gives you the ROM files themself.

Dumped the zipped roms and a neogeo zip file from those folders into fightcade's rom folder and now when I log in and use fightcade I can select these titles, have them run properly, and I think have GGPO!

Skilletor

Okay, maybe I need help with settings on emulators, because every single one I've tried feels very off to me. They all feel like they're not quite running at full speed and I feel input lag. GGPO was the worst. Fightcade is better, but still not perfect.

Am I expecting too much from an emulator or do I just need to tweak some settings.

I don't expect perfect, but even fightcade is barely playable for me in just training mode.

Okay, maybe I need help with settings on emulators, because every single one I've tried feels very off to me. They all feel like they're not quite running at full speed and I feel input lag. GGPO was the worst. Fightcade is better, but still not perfect.

Am I expecting too much from an emulator or do I just need to tweak some settings.

I don't expect perfect, but even fightcade is barely playable for me in just training mode.

it could be your settings, but a lot of emulators arent true to the original system in certain regards. I think there are some articles of how bsnes and zsnes are different due to this. But its most likely your settings since I can run things like vsav fine w/ fightcade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom