• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry1594

Okay, maybe I need help with settings on emulators, because every single one I've tried feels very off to me. They all feel like they're not quite running at full speed and I feel input lag. GGPO was the worst. Fightcade is better, but still not perfect.

Am I expecting too much from an emulator or do I just need to tweak some settings.

I don't expect perfect, but even fightcade is barely playable for me in just training mode.
Fightcade and GGPO are the exact same thing. Both use a version of final burn alpha from like 2008.

Skilletor

Fightcade and GGPO are the exact same thing. Both use a version of final burn alpha from like 2008.

I think fightcade runs a newer version of FBA, but neither of them feels right to me.

I can run them "fine," but playing them just feels off. I remember something about turning "Aero" off for GGPO, and don't know if there are any tricks like that I should be doing.

Why do you think developers have to clarify that Marie Rose's age is actually 18?

A fictional adult, but she's designed to look, act and sound like a minor. This isn't rocket science. It's easy to see why the character is the way it is and it should be equally easy to understand why its gross.
I didn't design her but to me she's designed to be petite because not all women are busty or tall. While I won't pretend that DoA is the greatest advocate for female diversity on the market or that it's one of the few fighters with something close to actual parity on roster gender for entirely positive motives, it is actually nice to see some different body shapes outside of a narrow subset. I have friends who are both simultaneously older and even shorter than she is.

Though I'm not familiar with the brand mentioned, I'm of a similar mindset. Looking up moi-meme-moitie, I definitely dig those threads. But holy check those prices!
Haha yeah. It's certainly not cheap XD

So it's really just sexualization that's the problem? Eh, that's fine. That's my issue with anime now too. There's too much of it. In small, tasteful doses, it's great but overload makes it awful.

I don't have an issue with young characters in anime and games, actually young or the 1000 year old dragon variety. I do have an issue when it's sexualizing a character that's young in context and/or behavior. That's straight up clearly wrong.

Yeah, that's kind of my issue with Marie Rose. Her design isn't a real problem because it's in the realm of possibility. However, her attitude, mannerisms, and speech are obviously tuned to give her an air that she's a child. That's the troublesome element of it all.
As far as fanservice and more blatant sexualisation that goes in anime I admit I'm a prude and could definitely do with a hell of a lot less of it. I feel like I have an instinctive eye-rolling twitch whenever the camera finds itself at an angle it has no real reason to be or the story 'convienently' finds a way to get the heroine(s) into situations where they're less than dressed at but admittedly constant exposure to it has numbed me somewhat. I still value an anime that doesn't resort to that crud more highly though and I wish they'd kind of keep that stuff more to the ecchi genre or wherever the heck it belongs.

As for Marie Rose's conduct, it's fun to be childish/cute sometimes when you can get away with it and when you're petite like her it's a very easy to :p While I like to see myself as fairly mature in nature most of the time I know I can be a brat when the mood takes me and to be frank I enjoy indulging in that occasionally. I also rather enjoy how salty some people can get when fighting characters with that attitude too :3

jerry1594

I think fightcade runs a newer version of FBA, but neither of them feels right to me.

I can run them "fine," but playing them just feels off. I remember something about turning "Aero" off for GGPO, and don't know if there are any tricks like that I should be doing.
Nope, same version of fba. It's a lot of work to update it without the source code for ggpo and/or fba. And yeah turning off aero will also help.

shaowebb

sigh...anyone know how to solve the direct draw error message in Fightcade? After putting the rest of the rom zips in the folder the fucking thing borked on me and now wont load anything.

Beats

I'll probably pick up Melty Blood on Steam. I never really got too deep into it, but I found it a lot of fun when I played it years ago.

jerry1594

sigh...anyone know how to solve the direct draw error message in Fightcade? After putting the rest of the rom zips in the folder the fucking thing borked on me and now wont load anything.
Hm, change the blitter in your emulator settings. Also it's possible the ROMs you have don't work with fightcade, as an aside.

I'll probably pick up Melty Blood on Steam. I never really got too deep into it, but I found it a lot of fun when I played it years ago.
I'm actually rather interested in giving it a shot. Do we know if they're going to get official english text in it so we can tell what the heck is going on? :p

Skilletor

No. Can't be turned off since win8.

Quick google search doesn't show any way to disable DWM/Aero.

Cool, thanks. I tried to find something when I first upgraded and didn't see anything.

Oh, well, not important. I just wish we could get official releases of all these games. :( Sitting on a gold mine! Or at least a nugget or two.

shaowebb

Hm, change the blitter in your emulator settings. Also it's possible the ROMs you have don't work with fightcade, as an aside.

Tried all 4 blitter. Error wont die. No longer runs the two it ran earlier. WTF
Thinking I may need to reinstall direct x or something

Since I know there are some One Piece nerds in this thread; FANG remind anyone else of shounen cartoon villains? The way he talks, including the way his voice suddenly gets deeper and more menacing on occasion, the way he carries himself, and even his proportions remind me of villains like Buggy and Ceasar in One Piece (not to mention the focus on poison). Or even old Dragonball villains.

his trailer so you can maybe see what I mean http://youtu.be/GKjk7FKmY0Q

I think Chiba Shigeru is voicing fang. He voiced emperor Pilaf in dragon ball. He also voiced one of the harpists in Kung Fu Hustle.

shaowebb

sigh...fuck this. I've been at this for hours since I got home and I saw it play properly ONCE for a few seconds. Uninstall reinstall did nothing on fightcade. Direct X reinstall did nothing on fightcade and the actual SNK 25th anniversary emulator runs at hyperspeed because it has NO FPS limiter options.

Fuck. This. Shit.

I'll deal with it later.

Beckx

sigh...fuck this. I've been at this for hours since I got home and I saw it play properly ONCE for a few seconds. Uninstall reinstall did nothing on fightcade. Direct X reinstall did nothing on fightcade and the actual SNK 25th anniversary emulator runs at hyperspeed because it has NO FPS limiter options.

Fuck. This. Shit.

I'll deal with it later.

Might as well set up MAME, since to run all of these you'll need a different emulator anyway, MAME stand-alone or MAME core in Retroarch if you're already using RA. FightCade isn't an all-in-one emulator, it's only going to run the specific ROMs it supports.

I'm setting up MAME within Retroarch for these tonight.

shaowebb

Might as well set up MAME, since to run all of these you'll need a different emulator anyway, MAME stand-alone or MAME core in Retroarch if you're already using RA. FightCade isn't an all-in-one emulator, it's only going to run the specific ROMs it supports.

I'm setting up MAME within Retroarch for these tonight.

I'll do it, but later. I'm tired and I spent too long on this. I need a break for now.

LPN was tweeting on some of the changes for the Capcom Cup build of SFV. Apparently there's already a newer build but this is the latest that's been available to the public.

Long Phi Nguyen ‏@oooitzLpN 2h2 hours ago
Counter hit sweeps are hard knock downs now. Can get good corner carry by pushing corpse w/dash. Very scary when done by Gief 😖 #SFV
6 retweets 8 likes

This is interesting. Sounds like you can have some setups now by sacrificing some damage off of other CH combos. Lots of corner carry too since dashes are very good in this game.

Long Phi Nguyen ‏@oooitzLpN 1h1 hour ago
R.mika is still kinda retarded but doable. No more cross under w/cr.hp in the corner mix up. Her neutral is weaker now imo #nodropkick #SFV

Not surprised tbh, that corner mixup was pretty dumb lol.

Long Phi Nguyen ‏@oooitzLpN 1h1 hour ago
Nash...Bazooka knee is negative everywhere &S lightly positive on CH. No more corpse hop. lk moonsault goes over ppl when up close ._. #SFV

I guess no more #Moonsalt. :(

Long Phi Nguyen ‏@oooitzLpN 57m57 minutes ago
LAURA is.. The same as before. She needs help in some departments :/ She is lacking compared to the rest of the cast #capcomplz ! #sfv

Looks like this character is still gonna be boring as hell

Beats

I'm actually rather interested in giving it a shot. Do we know if they're going to get official english text in it so we can tell what the heck is going on? :p

I don't think there wasn't any information given about that from what I've read. They'll likely have more details about the game closer to the release date though.

I don't think there wasn't any information given about that from what I've read. They'll likely have more details about the game closer to the release date though.

Ah thankies; I did a ctrl + F on the melty thread before asking and hadn't noticed anything so I wondered :D
I'd assume they'll give us it seeing as it's a western release though. I guess we'll have to wait until they decide to tell us more to find out if they're going to include anything to help catch us up on the story considering all the meltys leading up to this were never released over here XD

Clawww

LPN was tweeting on some of the changes for the Capcom Cup build of SFV. Apparently there's already a newer build but this is the latest that's been available to the public.

This is interesting. Sounds like you can have some setups now by sacrificing some damage off of other CH combos. Lots of corner carry too since dashes are very good in this game.

damn, nash and ryu can be friends now

Thanks for this.

Fuck. This. Shit.

I'll deal with it later.
When people tell me that PC gaming doesn't have to deal with this crap anymore, I just laugh. This is why I don't game on the PC.

Beckx

Thanks for this.

When people tell me that PC gaming doesn't have to deal with this crap anymore, I just laugh. This is why I don't game on the PC.

"this guy had trouble getting an freeware emulator to work" is pretty far out there as a reason not to game on PC. PC/3DS is the GOAT platform combo.

Anne

UNI [st] confirmed to be coming to consoles.

If you're interested in learning it I guess ask me some questions.

Anne

What's new to the games besides Phonon?

Also is it a new disc or dlc?

No idea. Only new character so far is Phonon and balance updates. If it's coming to console via Aksys probably means ASW funded it so good chance it's a disc with a couple more characters slapped in there.

All I know is it will be playable at Aksys' event.

notworksafe

Console gaming isn't any better anymore. 360 RROD, PS3s sounding like jet engines and YLOD, PS4s having controller desync issues, being loud af, and the controller stick falling apart

Beckx

how you playing all those gundam games

One of my embarrassingly high number of other platforms. :p

I mean SRW and Force are on the Vita but I'm not realistically recommending anyone else do that.

Console gaming isn't any better anymore. 360 RROD, PS3s sounding like jet engines and YLOD, PS4s having controller desync issues, being loud af, and the controller stick falling apart

As a side benefit though, the air vented from my PS4 can heat my living room when it's been on for a while.

Anne

how prevalent are microdash combos?

There's a lot of running in combos in general. They're a lot easier and more lenient than in BB or something, in general combos don't get any harder than like a 6/10 unless you're trying to do hyper optimal neta stuff.

notworksafe

OAs a side benefit though, the air vented from my PS4 can heat my living room when it's been on for a while.

Up until I went with a new Intel build, my AMD PC did double duty as a space heater for my office heh. PS3 does that work for the living room.

There's a lot of running in combos in general. They're a lot easier and more lenient than in BB or something, in general combos don't get any harder than like a 6/10 unless you're trying to do hyper optimal neta stuff.

i feel like your idea of hard might be a little skewed lol . . . . . i should have you rate this platinum combo that's kicking my ass

Infinite

No idea. Only new character so far is Phonon and balance updates. If it's coming to console via Aksys probably means ASW funded it so good chance it's a disc with a couple more characters slapped in there.

All I know is it will be playable at Aksys' event.
So no new system mechanics and shit?

Anne

So no new system mechanics and shit?

Oh yeah there's this new thing where if you have vorpal and lots of meter you can make them explode.

i feel like your idea of hard might be a little skewed lol . . . . . i should have you rate this platinum combo that's kicking my ass

I said 6/10 thinking about the general players. I don't drop a lot in that game, execution sometimes borders on brainless.

Man, I like Mika's dropkick but I agree the corner mixup was crazy. I got Mika'ed when playing Mika and had no idea what was happening.

shaowebb

You do realize this occurrence is in the extreme minority right? It sucks I'm dealing with it, but no PC gaming because you worry you "might" have a compatibility issue at some point? Kind of an extreme response.

Anne

Cool.

How do you feel about this upgrade? What implications does it have on the metagame and character rankings?

It fixed basically everything I didn't like about the game and made balance a lot more even. Veil Off Explosion is kind of dumb but it's actually not crazy impactful outside of a couple characters; usually it just ends a round a bit earlier by being a more efficient resource dump. It's a really good update, one of the best I've seen as far as character balance goes. Only real concern is there's no new content besides Phonon and Chaos, so Idk how they;ll sell it.

Malice215

Holy shit I had no idea NEC was happening this weekend lol. Anything at all of note happening there?

That's why I plug this. Too many games going on at NEC.

tinyurl.com/fgccalendar

Looks like NEC has a pretty comprehensive stream lineup.

Big E tournaments usually have a bunch of streams going on (provided that there's sufficient internet access at the venue). Maybe I'll get off retirement and check it out in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom