• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Back home from studying. Can someone tell me the highlights of Gamerbee?

I caught the first part where something something YOU HAVE FAILED ME.

Sheroking

CPT is everything an eSports talk show should be. Funny, not-staged or scripted, mostly on-topic with gameplay and interaction with the audience. There's no pretense of professionalism or attempt to replicate Sportscenter like bigger eSports do.

I don't think it's ever been bad but since Floe has been the co-host, it's been must-watch.

Anne

CVvp-8QW4AErn6L.jpg:large

WarRock

CPT is everything an eSports talk show should be. Funny, not-staged or scripted, mostly on-topic with gameplay and interaction with the audience. There's no pretense of professionalism or attempt to replicate Sportscenter like bigger eSports do.

I don't think it's ever been bad but since Floe has been the co-host, it's been must-watch.
Yep. I like its size, too. One problem I have with UltraChen TV it's how long it is, even though the topics have interesting discussion.

Man they should of saved the handsome fighters quote for this SFV Vega. They created him great...

E: LOL Gootecks losing his mind on the Mika player

Rainy

Banned
WHAT?! Why would he say that? He's arguably one I'd the best Guile players I've seen.

David said he agreed with him to an extent, he thinks that Die should have switched from Guile to another character in mid to late Super, and that he would have been a lot more successful if he did that.

Dahbomb

Let's hope this is a learning experience for US players and they don't have this character stubbornness in SFV. Just pick the top tiers from the start.

Let's hope this is a learning experience for US players and they don't have this character stubbornness in SFV. Just pick the top tiers from the start.

That's not the problem. They did pick top tier. It's just the top tier changed.

Pick a top tier doesn't work when the game changes every 1-2 years and the opportunity cost to learn another character is too much.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.

Pick a top tier doesn't work when the game changes every 1-2 years and the opportunity cost to learn another character isn't there.

More or less. Too many people anchoring themselves to a sinking ship.

People better be broadening their horizons in SF5 while the game only has 16 characters to learn.

Dahbomb

Pick a top tier doesn't work when the game changes every 1-2 years and the opportunity cost to learn another character is too much.
When was Guile top tier? Even in Super I don't think he was all that high despite being good.

When the expectation is that character tiers will change yearly then the mentality should be that of a MOBA and learning sets of characters. IMO that should be easier in SFV with easier combos and less stuff like FAs/less characters to worry about. You should be in a situation where no matter what happens you are playing a top tier after patches.

Sheroking

Top Americans either refused to switch or made the switch and gave up on it when it didn't pay immediate dividends.

When Daigo saw Ryu wasn't going to get it done, he picked up Evil Ryu and lost for months and months. Now he's like 50k richer. Think PR Rog might have made Capcom Cup if he stuck with Evil Ryu for more than a few months? What if Justin actually decided to play Elena from the start of Ultra, instead of losing to Infiltration and Bonchan once each and dropping her for like 16 months?

Tizoc

Don't worry shaowebb, you'll get it to work!

Today gonna test out MAME2010 versions and FB Alpha in Retroarch and see if I can get the roms to run properly on them+add in my own macros (shut up I've been a pad played for too long)

BTW should I make a thread about Garou's mechanics? I know there are websites like SRK that already cover most of it, but I'm at work for the next 8 hours and I'm bored :V

Dahbomb

Top Americans either refused to switch or made the switch and gave up on it when it didn't pay immediate dividends.

When Daigo saw Ryu wasn't going to get it done, he picked up Evil Ryu and lost for months and months. Now he's like 50k richer. Think PR Rog might have made Capcom Cup if he stuck with Evil Ryu for more than a few months? What if Justin actually decided to play Elena from the start of Ultra, instead of losing to Infiltration and Bonchan once each and dropping her for like 16 months?
Could've, should've, would've... didn't.

It's time to move on and look towards SFV. Learn the lessons from SF4 and apply them in SFV.

In SF4 a lot of players had just put too much investment in their characters to switch after like 6 years. I feel like if you go in with the mentality that you can switch characters if needed then it's easier to switch mentally and physically.

Of course you can make the gamble and assume that your character will "eventually" be good and stick to one character all the way... trusting that Capcom is able to achieve near perfect balance. That will never happen but maybe you will win the lottery and your character ends up being top tier for a year.

Daigo switching to Yun for AE didn't help him when it counted, though

But yeah it didn't seem like a lot of top US players really had any incentives til CPT rolled around. Justin/PRRog/Dieminion could consistently get top 8 at every major using their characters, but winning qualifier tournaments or doing well enough at Capcom Cup to actually get esports money is a different matter entirely.

SFV is going to be super interesting, because you know the competition is going to be immediately as cutthroat as this year's USF4 CPT.

Did any of this work for Xiaohai or Ryan Hart? Is your opinion of Justin so high that you think that he's entitled to have greater success than Gamerbee, who srarted playing Elena last year?

It's funny to name drop bonchan when he's just as guilty of being character complacent as any American player.

You have the US commentators using character selection as a scapegoat, and then I watch Daigo's evil ryu lose to japanese rufus players.

I don't like that Xian got third place. He would have won if he dropped shitty gen and stuck with evil ryu. everyone should pick evil ryu and elena. and yun, because kazunoko won with that character.

Perro

I dare you to fight Brazilians in King of Fighters on Fightcade. Hooooly shit.
Fightcade and GGPO is scary when you are a noob. I still have nightmares about my first months in Garou, I always played this Japanese Butt who bodied 20 - 0 me everyday. FC/GGPO 3s is free tho.

Tizoc

Fightcade and GGPO is scary when you are a noob. I still have nightmares about my first months in Garou, I always played this Japanese Butt who bodied 20 - 0 me everyday. FC/GGPO 3s is free tho.

Butt's no joke, he has a great set of combos and is easy to pick up and learn.

Marz

Pick a top tier doesnt really work for SF. Better to just play a solid character and master them like Bonchan, Fuudo, Tokido etc.

Maybe keep a second character around for bad matchups.

Tizoc

I can't believe I keep forgetting that Rock has Red irises
rock-gfix.jpg

Also, Fatal Fury 2 Special got a new tier list in 2014: Joe is now the top tier character over Kim Kap Hwan. I recall reading that Kim was top tier in FFS for the longest time
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Fatal_Fury_Special#Tiers

I love how almost every character is a modern version of an established FF/AOF character. Kinda like 3s.

For the most part yes-
Rock is a combination of Geese and Terry
Dong Hwan and Jae Hoon each use some of Kim Kap Hwan's moves but each has their own alterations to it
Hokutomaru actually uses his own moves with the only take away from Andy is the Kuuhadan
Butt is straight up Kyokugen

So yeah 1/3 of the cast are modern versions of their predecessors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom