• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

I'm also getting good progress in Garou. It's pretty simplistic. Skills in 2d games really do carry over. I've gotten so much better in Garou in WEEKS due to now understanding the basic premise of 2d fighters.

KOF02 is HARD. Despite having less moves than SF (I think?) I have no IDEA how to get in or what the game plan is for ANY of these characters besides Terry and the old Fatal Fury gang. I wanna learn my girl Yuri. Game is tough and I should stick to arcade mode single player for the time being.

For KOF check out this beginners guide by Dandy J, it's a great intro to KOF in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75Lz1Drp8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5yg2QH_Lw

Also check out Juicebox's youtube channel, he has many great KOF tutorial and tips & tricks vids.

And yeah, Garou MOTW is great. It's not too hard to get into and is just a blast to play in general. The cast isn't huge but pretty much every character is really fun to play, and the character animation has so much personality.

Dimps borrowed heavily from it for SFIV, heck even SFV's new crush counter system is almost straight out of Garou.

Trickster

Does anyone know how when we're actually supposed to be able to buy guilty gear xrd on steam? 11 hours until it releases, but can't buy it

WarRock

KOF02 is HARD. Despite having less moves than SF (I think?) I have no IDEA how to get in or what the game plan is for ANY of these characters besides Terry and the old Fatal Fury gang. I wanna learn my girl Yuri. Game is tough and I should stick to arcade mode single player for the time being.
Yeah, it is. A shame my friend who has some knowledge on the game hasn't been in the mood to play KoF for months )=

I really want to learn at least the bare bones basics. The pacing of the fights is just amazing.

And Vanessa is love.

Gotta wait to buy Xrd on Steam, there's no pre-order.

Command lists in KOF really range from barebones to wtf am I reading status.

Here's an explanation of KOF basics specifically made for people coming from SFIV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3KVgI1LvU

Kof02 is hard, doesn't help that my latino hermanos are angry mofos that want to fuck your shit up.

lmao

Anne

Anyone have any tips with Super Street Fighter II Turbo? It's such a different game than IV despite whatever similarities. Many opponents on Fightcade, I struggle denting. I can beat some, but some just use me as a play thing.

Start learning the busted kusoge bullsht I guess.

Infinite

Americans just need to approach sf5 with a different mentality one that doesn't include blaming your shortcoming on their or anyone else's character choices.

jerry1594

I'm peruvian ;p

connection is still better with americans tho
Do you check with who youre playing? So much of the time i'm playing someone it seems fine to me and it turns out it's kippy shit, and vice versa. Haven't been on in a few weeks though so maybe it's been updated.
Start learning the busted kusoge bullsht I guess.
Personally I would do the opposite. Guile for life. Though if you want akuma level stupidness play chun.

Anyone know of any good resources for learning more about and improving your fireball game? I think it's the weakest part of my E.Ryu and really want to improve it.

MrDaravon

Woshige making Chun look good, that's what I like to see :D

Regarding US compared to Japan in SF, there was a really good article/video a while back (and I'm sure there have been several) regarding how Japan just has a lot of natural advantages because of it's small size. In the US the playerbase is split across a significantly larger area; hell Japan is I believe just smaller than California alone. So the playerbase in Japan is in a much tighter geographic area, they still have arcades, and their internet is generally significantly better. The article I'm thinking of in particular talked also about how they have arcade events in Japan split up specifically by player skill so you fight people in the same relative skill level to improve, and top players coach and advise the lower-skilled players etc. So even if the US had better internet (google pls) and/or SFV has better online netcode and services I just don't think it can make up for the other things. Not to dismiss the talent of top Japanese players because of the above, but that's a significant advantage that they have that we just don't have here. If I had an arcade within reasonable traveling distance where I could get relatively fair matches along with advice and coaching from top players I would practically live there. Instead I have nothing within ~3-4 hours of me, and online is hit or miss depending on the game and connection. Honestly kind of jealous.

Anne

How is ST kusoge?

There are a lot of inescapable situations that just murder you, or are close to inescapable anyways. If they go off you die pretty much instantly. Like Negative Edge throw OS is cute, Dee Jay Touch of Death, the entire existence of Claw, etc. Then there's the just silly shit like Chun Li having super and walking at you. No respectable ST player will tell you that game isn't the most busted, cheapest shit at this point lol you gotta at least learn how all that works to play the game.

Regarding US compared to Japan in SF, there was a really good article/video a while back (and I'm sure there have been several) regarding how Japan just has a lot of natural advantages because of it's small size. In the US the playerbase is split across a significantly larger area; hell Japan is I believe just smaller than California alone. So the playerbase in Japan is in a much tighter geographic area, they still have arcades, and their internet is generally significantly better. The article I'm thinking of in particular talked also about how they have arcade events in Japan split up specifically by player skill so you fight people in the same relative skill level to improve, and top players coach and advise the lower-skilled players etc. So even if the US had better internet (google pls) and/or SFV has better online netcode and services I just don't think it can make up for the other things. Not to dismiss the talent of top Japanese players because of the above, but that's a significant advantage that they have that we just don't have here. If I had an arcade within reasonable traveling distance where I could get relatively fair matches along with advice and coaching from top players I would practically live there. Instead I have nothing within ~3-4 hours of me, and online is hit or miss depending on the game and connection. Honestly kind of jealous.

If this is the case then why is the UK still shit?! :(

petghost

Banned
How is ST kusoge?

it certainly got a lot of bullshit... its kinda amazing actually.

i love it to death tho. who you play in it? if you playing chun like in 4 you gotta realize that once you charge your super you can walk forward and release it any time. incredibly important glitch. also realize that c. mk is amazing as a poke. not a bad idea to just walk forward and harass with c.mk or s.mp. also her mp throw does hella damage for some reason...like an spd or something. so only use that version. she has some vortex shenanigans etc. but those are the basics of chun as far as im aware. very simple character.

MrDaravon

Andy Xiong ‏@axphotog 3h3 hours ago
@Floejisan @ThatMikeRossGuy @ultradavid Well someone had to do it..
CVyhUn9UEAA5qzV.jpg

If this is the case then why is the UK still shit?! :(

No idea :(. I only specified US since I don't know how other smaller areas like UK fare in relation or setup.

No idea :(. I only specified US since I don't know how other smaller areas like UK fare in relation or setup.

UK being very small makes it super easy to travel to most places. I'm in Glasgow and try to attend all Scottish events but I think there's a big split between London, where the best players are, and the rest of the UK that fucks it. You improve much faster playing better players but there's a ceiling in the UK that can only be broken by playing other EU countries. I think so anyway. It's why I plan to attend more EU events next year.

DunpealD

There are a lot of inescapable situations that just murder you, or are close to inescapable anyways. If they go off you die pretty much instantly. Like Negative Edge throw OS is cute, Dee Jay Touch of Death, the entire existence of Claw, etc. Then there's the just silly shit like Chun Li having super and walking at you. No respectable ST player will tell you that game isn't the most busted, cheapest shit at this point lol you gotta at least learn how all that works to play the game.

Obligatory Damdai ST T.Hawk video.

Anyone have any tips with Super Street Fighter II Turbo? It's such a different game than IV despite whatever similarities. Many opponents on Fightcade, I struggle denting. I can beat some, but some just use me as a play thing.

just play vega. You are gonna lost a lot b/c ST is more footsie and matchup oriented to sf4 so if you don't know how to play the matchup or your buttons you'll just get bodied

Swarna

Anyone know of any good resources for learning more about and improving your fireball game? I think it's the weakest part of my E.Ryu and really want to improve it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOw0bDlt528

This is a Sagat video but the concepts and factors it brings up for consideration can be applied to overall zoning. Having reasons and goals in mind when throwing fireballs is key. This really helped my game out and allowed me to look at situations differently.

One thing I can tell you is that having an excellent anti-air game directly boosts your fireball game. Look at Daigo and Bonchan's matches where they will throw 5-6 fireballs in a row with no fear. They train their opponents hard.

Edit: This video, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ws7YLLQBPU

Jay's got a lot of good videos in general. Probably the best break-downs of high-level play for low/mid-level players I've ever seen.

I'd like to read this article.

Here's me fighting Claw yesterday. Hard. His super is pretty cheap but I don't want to call it cheap because I'm accustomed to that being labeled as complaining and I don't want to be seen as a scrub.

http://youtu.be/WekeOYRx-GQ

Kikirin

Honestly can't remember where it was otherwise I'd have linked it :(. The one I'm thinking of in particular was from earlier this year, but I'm sure there must have been other articles in the past talking about the cultural/geography differences before.

I feel like it's likely a post by SKD on the Dustloop forums, but it might take some time to find. If I recall correctly, it's either in the BBCPEX or BBCF general/gameplay discussion threads.

Will post here if I can dig it up.

Anne

First off lemme clarify that kusoge =/= bad, just means broken. Marvel is kusoge but it's sometimes worth playing. Also some stuff is cheap, that's just how games are. Calling it cheap and dealing with it without using that as an excuse is fine.

Also this is the best Damdai video on the internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52e3LNOCEwg

First off lemme clarify that kusoge =/= bad, just means broken. Marvel is kusoge but it's sometimes worth playing. Also some stuff is cheap, that's just how games are. Calling it cheap and dealing with it without using that as an excuse is fine.

Also this is the best Damdai video on the internet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52e3LNOCEwg
I think it's weird to apply the term to a game that intentionally has those features.

Kikirin

I'd like to read this article.

SKD's posts on netplay and mid-level play and stuff:

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...lay-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=937876

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...lay-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=937921

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/inde...lay-discussion/&do=findComment&comment=938155

Re-reading these, I don't think there's a mention of skill-cap / newcomer tournaments, so I'm likely conflating these with something someone else wrote before. Still a good read regardless.

Amedo310

For KOF check out this beginners guide by Dandy J, it's a great intro to KOF in general:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75Lz1Drp8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5yg2QH_Lw

Also check out Juicebox's youtube channel, he has many great KOF tutorial and tips & tricks vids.

And yeah, Garou MOTW is great. It's not too hard to get into and is just a blast to play in general. The cast isn't huge but pretty much every character is really fun to play, and the character animation has so much personality.

Dimps borrowed heavily from it for SFIV, heck even SFV's new crush counter system is almost straight out of Garou.

Might as well add this as well. It applies to all kof games.

KOF: Rule of 2 (or 3) - YouTube: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u3_tzTZSEpU

ShinMaruku

Riddle me this, why do you have some people linking some of the insane combacks of the extremely high level players using characters with stupid fucking damage and then telling other people "Never give up!"

There is a reason why you are in the hole, you sure as hell can't pull off the stun and have the meter to completely destroy the other player and that's assuming you have that character. Hell I played Juri and people told me "You can come back"

Bullshit, don't lie. :E

Why people use that? Do they honestly think Robert Capet the nervouse, combo dropping dpmashing born in the purple is really gonna pull off a comback?

Explain to me please

petghost

Banned
Riddle me this, why do you have some people linking some of the insane combacks of the extremely high level players using characters with stupid fucking damage and then telling other people "Never give up!"

There is a reason why you are in the hole, you sure as hell can't pull off the stun and have the meter to completely destroy the other player and that's assuming you have that character. Hell I played Juri and people told me "You can come back"

Bullshit, don't lie. :E

Why people use that? Do they honestly think Robert Capet the nervouse, combo dropping dpmashing born in the purple is really gonna pull off a comback?

Explain to me please

i dont quite get what you are talking about but i think juri has pretty good comeback potential with feng shui engine. she cant change the momentum pretty quick, has got a ton of pressure and got huge damage off resets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom