• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son was born at 3:54AM today.
vader.jpg

I mean, Congratulations.

stn

SFV is way more fireball friendly than SFIV.

More importantly, SFV emphasizes what makes fireballs interesting in the first place: space control. They are a great footsie and setup tool right now. The game only discourages fireballs as a "keepaway" strategy, which has never worked in a SF game anyway.
ST? You could literally loop fireball setups to keep a character locked outside of footsie range. That's the one game where, when playing against an elite zoning player, you can actually literally be helpless.

SF5 is going to have better zoning than IV, I think. The removal of focus attack in itself is huge. Being able to absorb projectiles to build ultra and/or dash forward was huge. In fact, the focus attack kept characters like Gouken from actually being legitimately good. Even with most of the other zoning characters, you had to play them as hybrids in order to succeed. Gouken, even with his good fireball recovery, is encouraged to go for sweeps and demon flip setups in order to maximize damage.

.la1n

I thought TFC was going to be in Charlotte this year? I guess I should have followed closer, I would have went if I knew it was right around the corner again this year.

edit: eh screw it I don't have anything else to do today, guess I'll go hang out for a while. If anyone else is there and wants to play casuals / say hello look for a skinny white guy in a EVO KI shirt.

Fireballs are generally most effective at poke range, to beat counterpokes (Guile) or to be a good primary poke (Ryu).

SF4 greatly discouraged this due to Focus fishing, but even then it was better in some matchups more than others.

Outside of poke range, fireballs don't accomplish much unless they recover quickly, allowing the thrower to follow it in. There have been few meterless fireballs in SF history that allow this. It's designed to be a major strength of Guile/Chun Li, and now the new Charlie as well.

I think many people are unfamiliar with using fireballs as a footsie tool. They are far more used to "chucking" fireballs because in the eyes of their opponents jumping is the only good answer, and in many older games this isn't too far from the truth, especially if either player is impatient.

In SF5, fireballs are still a great footsie tool, even more so than SF4. Outside of footsie range it is definitely weaker with all the projectile-invincible/countering moves they are including.

tl;dr
Fireballs are much harder to just toss out in SF5 especially from outside footsie range. Inside footsie range they are just as strong if not stronger. SF5 is being designed to discourage chucking.

Kumubou

My son was born at 3:54AM today.
Congratulations; hopefully everything goes smoothly with you, your wife and the kid (or as smoothly as raising a child can go, anyway).

Go-1 wanted even more money on the line. Lol.
I could actually see that kind of angle working against a lot of the top players in more obscure games, as they tend to have very little to no experience playing hyped matches on big stages with anything significant on the line. You could see this during the last few matches of something like KSB, where the level of play in something like UNIEL or Koihime Enbu dropped off noticeably from what you would normally expect from those players, because they're almost never playing in front of a crowd and on a stream with people actually watching.

However, GO1 is not one of those people, having won multiple SBO titles and being able to win at events like ArcRevo and Evo.

Hassun

Neo Member
If I were GO1 and Sp00ky challenged me I'd want more money on the line as well. Nobody is going to say fight isn't in his favour.

Fireballs are generally most effective at poke range, to beat counterpokes (Guile) or to be a good primary poke (Ryu).

SF4 greatly discouraged this due to Focus fishing, but even then it was better in some matchups more than others.

Outside of poke range, fireballs don't accomplish much unless they recover quickly, allowing the thrower to follow it in. There have been few meterless fireballs in SF history that allow this. It's designed to be a major strength of Guile/Chun Li, and now the new Charlie as well.

I think many people are unfamiliar with using fireballs as a footsie tool. They are far more used to "chucking" fireballs because in the eyes of their opponents jumping is the only good answer, and in many older games this isn't too far from the truth, especially if either player is impatient.

In SF5, fireballs are still a great footsie tool, even more so than SF4. Outside of footsie range it is definitely weaker with all the projectile-invincible/countering moves they are including.

tl;dr
Fireballs are much harder to just toss out in SF5 especially from outside footsie range. Inside footsie range they are just as strong if not stronger. SF5 is being designed to discourage chucking.

thank you for this post

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I'll be hosting a VF room on PSN today, gonna let some beginners mash out while I occasionally bruise them up. my PSN is oneida_vf if you'd like to join, the room should be live in a bit and I hope to be playing most of the day.

gutabo

Congrats Karst! :D Welcome to DadGAF and FGCDads!

Tell us all about it(it was a birth at home right?) if you feel like it pls.

Get some sleep whenever you can until you get your sleep schedule in line with your wife's and your son's.

shaowebb

Congrats Karst.

This will be you in no time.
LVWXVoa.gif

And remember if the baby is holding the 2nd player's controller when you win in VS it still counts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom