• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kumubou

I'm so sorry Enzo. I just hope the Dhalsim reveal will unify us. Good old, full screen fighting and keep away keeps the hype.
Someone like... Hilda from Under Night In-Birth?

xECcVS6.jpg

You can't escape anime.
Nobody tell him about Dhalsim in ST.

I doubt yall are much older than me tbh

I do think it's interesting that, unlike other competitive scenes like LoL that FGC people skew older
I think part of the reason for that is fighting games are the oldest competitive videogame genre (with Street Fighter 2 predating even something like Warcraft 2 or Doom), and unlike RTS or FPS genres, the series that started it all is still somehow the biggest one in the genre. There are people who have been playing Street Fighter in its various forms for 20+ years.

DunpealD

Honestly the weighted clothes things should never have mattered in the series to begin with. These are guys who can obliterate a planet and can punch through mountains... taking off clothes shouldn't be making that much of a difference. It's also as silly as putting on the Saiyan outfits increases power level slightly because of its flexibility and durability.

Weighted clothes were just a more advanced training method of the classic Muten Roshi weighted tortoise shell turned into an everyday item to wear. Post-Radditz/Vegeta they advanced to high gravity training itself.

In the end weighted clothing were just a simple matter of showing progress levels and small power up/restriction gimmick. The effect itself of taking off clothes was shown using the scouter by Radditz. So in a way it did matter in the franchise history until the fight against Radditz, then they advanced to ridiculous levels pretty fast.

Grakl

If you watched Naruto growing up, you are far younger than I. Naruto started when I was in college, IIRC.

2005 in the US for the anime says wikipedia, and I started at the beginning so that was it -- 10 years ago

Someone like... Hilda from Under Night In-Birth?

You can't escape anime.
Nobody tell him about Dhalsim in ST.

I think part of the reason for that is fighting games are the oldest competitive videogame genre (with Street Fighter 2 predating even something like Warcraft 2 or Doom), and unlike RTS or FPS genres, the series that started it all is still somehow the biggest one in the genre. There are people who have been playing Street Fighter in its various forms for 20+ years.

Makes sense to me, always am surprised that street fighter is significantly before starcraft

Negaduck

I remember buying the first volume of naruto when it just came out and read it in English class during our silent reading stuff when I was a sophomore.

The teacher let me get away with it one time because I said 'its not a comic, see right here it says graphic novel'.

That was awesome. . . or was it shaman king I brought? Either way, way too short to read for that assigned time lol.

Malice215

Arcsys is just doing what they've always done. I do wonder how long they'll keep on like this given that arcades are a shrinking market in Japan. Continuing on prioritizing a single country's shrinking arcade market over worldwide console/PC revenues seems really shortsighted.

At least this time, unlike the wait for sign, people outside of Japan can play an older version of xrd (rather than waiting to get any xrd at all) and since characters (apparently?) weren't rebalanced, they're not as out-of-the-loop as they usually would be.

It's still fucked up that for so much of an Arcsys fighter's life, people outside of Japan don't have the current version of the game. Xrd came out in Japanese arcades on February 20th, 2014- about a year and a half ago. As of now, not-Japan has had the up-to-date version for about 8 months- less than half the game's lifespan. By the time revelator comes to console, not-Japan will have had the up-to-date version for less than a third of the game's lifespan.

I don't think it's shortsighted at all. They're just doing what makes business sense to them which is why they're still putting out games in the arcade. Why should they give up part of their business and that revenue just because arcades are dead everywhere else in the world?

The arcade market maybe shrinking, but it's not like the market for the game outside of Japan is blazing either. Plus there must be some health to it with these companies continuing to release new arcade games.

Zissou

I don't think it's shortsighted at all. They're just doing what makes business sense to them which is why they're still putting out games in the arcade. Why should they give up part of their business and that revenue just because arcades are dead everywhere else in the world?

The arcade market maybe shrinking, but it's not like the market for the game outside of Japan is blazing either. Plus there must be some health to it with these companies continuing to release new arcade games.

How is that not the very definition of shortsighted? They're opting to prioritize a dying market, and are not meaningfully expanding/exploring elsewhere.

2005 in the US for the anime says wikipedia, and I started at the beginning so that was it -- 10 years ago

Makes sense to me, always am surprised that street fighter is significantly before starcraft
Then you must be significantly younger than I am.

Kumubou

The issue isn't now, but in the near future. Every trendline has been more or less negative, and it's basically unheard of to hear of a new arcade opening, even in Japan. There was a post about this in one of the recent Media Create threads:

Interesting report from Nikkei here.

I'm not sure If I'm reading it right but it looks like the Japanese arcade market was worth 399 billion yen in 2014 which is down from the peak year in 2007 when revenues of 711 billion yen were generated.

A drop of almost 50%.

Meanwhile, revenue generated from online gaming has reached 854 billion yen.

Perhaps someone who reads Japanese can confirm if I've got this right.

http://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO91164740R30C15A8000000/
http://hobbyabout.info/?p=15286
If that's correct, gross revenue is down about 45% over the last several years.

Or heck, take a look at this Twitter accounts, which keeps track of arcades with Beatmania IIDX machines that have announced their closure. (It's an oddly specific thing to track, but the IIDX fanbase is batshit insane.) There's nearly 300 tweets (almost all of which are for specific arcades) since the beginning of this year, and while I would say most sizable arcades carry the game, not everyone does (the biggest one being the various Club Sega locations, due to some beef between Sega and Konami that goes back 30 years. Crazy.)

It's not about arcades being profitable today or tomorrow . However, with that kind of decline now, where will that industry be a year from now, never mind three to five years. I get the feeling that a lot of arcade developers/publishers are looking for some kind of transition or exit strategy.

I'd imagine people who's livelihood are more than well aware of the health of the market. But knowing there is a problem doesn't mean you have a way of fixing it.

Either way it's pretty clear that Arcsys, Bamco, Capcom are all exploring markets that are new to them. Pretty much all of them attempted something in the PC space on steam, most of it failed miserably but at least they know the market is there. Obviously capcom is focusing a lot more on consoles with SFV.

It's not like shifting focus 100% to consoles is guaranteed to improve their financial status. Not to mention if you are being all forward looking the console market is shrinking as well and you are jumping from a sunken ship to a sinking ship.

mbpm1

Capcpom
got it right for once

Seriously, it;s obvious they went out of their way to stereotype as much as they could. Dude's very bland.

Numb

Capcpom
got it right for once

Seriously, it;s obvious they went out of their way to stereotype as much as they could. Dude's very bland.

Yep. He will have some good alts lets hope. Birdie too that covers his business.

Capcpom
got it right for once

He looks meh, but his animations are so fantastic that I am now pretty cool with his design.

They realize they were doing this all this time but they want them to stop now?
huh
Moderns want the entire artistic world to bend to their whims.

Numb

Moderns want the entire artistic world to bend to their whims.

Posting stuff on the internet real quick with little effort to thousands is cool i see. Getting butthurt over everything must be a full time job. They are not even the people getting stereotyped most of the time.

shaowebb

My favorite stereotypes are jetpacks and dbz scouters

Mine are capes, Masks, Helmets,and anything generally related to Tokusatsu or Batman's tactical armor. Just a weakness for loud bodylines I guess. One of the reasons why I always hope to see Skullomania return.

Zissou

I'd imagine people who's livelihood are more than well aware of the health of the market. But knowing there is a problem doesn't mean you have a way of fixing it.

Either way it's pretty clear that Arcsys, Bamco, Capcom are all exploring markets that are new to them. Pretty much all of them attempted something in the PC space on steam, most of it failed miserably but at least they know the market is there. Obviously capcom is focusing a lot more on consoles with SFV.

It's not like shifting focus 100% to consoles is guaranteed to improve their financial status. Not to mention if you are being all forward looking the console market is shrinking as well and you are jumping from a sunken ship to a sinking ship.

Companies make poor decisions all the time. People invested in fighting games saw SFxT floundering before it game out while Capcom was happily investing mountains of cash into the game.

Arcsys has multiple fighting game franchises. They could experiment with one while keeping to their traditional business practices with the others- they don’t have to (and shouldn’t!) put all their eggs in one basket (business model-wise).

I haven’t seen Arcsys or Bamco really seriously deviating from the standard arcade business model when it comes to fighters (unless I’ve missed stuff). I know Bamco had the ftp Tekken thing, but was there anyone else? After the catastrophic SFxT, Capcom seems the most forward thinking with SFV when it comes to business models. You say consoles are a sinking ship, but isn’t this gen ahead of the curve compared with last gen? This is to say nothing of the PC market which is huge and immensely profitable.

Companies make poor decisions all the time. People invested in fighting games saw SFxT floundering before it game out while Capcom was happily investing mountains of cash into the game.
Yeah and people on this very forum defend it. Opinions.

You say consoles are a sinking ship, but isn’t this gen ahead of the curve compared with last gen? This is to say nothing of the PC market which is huge and immensely profitable.
Well Capcom or Arcsys aren't selling consoles, they are selling software. They are in the B and C tier category of games that supposedly don't exist anymore. They certainly can't keep up in the massive AAA race with growing marketing and dev budgets.

Edit: Also sometimes it's too late to chance course after a negative reaction or someone realizes they made a bad decision. PS3, WiiU, Xbox One. All have obvious critical flaws that hampered the product. It took years for Sony to turn it around, Nintendo failed with the WiiU, Microsoft is trying to recover with the Xbox and maybe they'll succeed in a few years. Clearly nobody just scraps the entire thing and moves on to the next big idea, they struggle to scrape whatever success they can and turn their failures around. Companies don't just change their strategies until things get real bad or have failed spectacularly.

Rhapsody

Banned
Played some more AH3 Love Max today. Was thinking about learning either Saki or Weiss, but went with the former first.

Up or forward charges don't mess me up, but there's quite a bit of executional stuff in this game D:

jerry1594

Aren't sales outpacing the previous gen for both current gen consoles?

The consoles are dying rhetoric has been desperately clinging from flawed theory to theory for a while.
Well the PS4 is, but PS3 was a giant flop at the start due to 599 US dollars. Xbox One I don't know, but it's not doing so hot right now. And consoles are doing historically terrible in Japan. They definitely seem to be dying in Japan. But maybe they can pick up in China. Big maybe though I think.

Zissou

Yeah and people on this very forum defend it. Opinions.

People defend how the game plays, not the business practices associated with it (which is what I was referring to).

Well Capcom or Arcsys aren't selling consoles, they are selling software. They are in the B and C tier category of games that supposedly don't exist anymore. They certainly can't keep up in the massive AAA race with growing marketing and dev budgets.

Edit: Also sometimes it's too late to chance course after a negative reaction or someone realizes they made a bad decision. PS3, WiiU, Xbox One. All have obvious critical flaws that hampered the product. It took years for Sony to turn it around, Nintendo failed with the WiiU, Microsoft is trying to recover with the Xbox and maybe they'll succeed in a few years. Clearly nobody just scraps the entire thing and moves on to the next big idea, they struggle to scrape whatever success they can and turn their failures around. Companies don't just change their strategies until things get real bad or have failed spectacularly.

I'm not arguing why companies make bad decisions- just saying they do make bad decisions and many times it's very clear to people looking in from the outside that the decisions were terrible from the get go. Videogame companies do seem to frighteningly frequently require spectacular failure before meaningfully changing course though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom