• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

Why are people so salty over snake now lol

Dieminion firing shots at Du and saying his wins over Snake are because he's just random and shit

pixelish

Dieminion firing shots at Du and saying his wins over Snake are because he's just random and shit
perhaps dieminion is right about du being random. that's probably why nuckledu places inconsistently in tournament (couldn't get top 8 at the last 3 tournaments but managed to place 7th at evo).

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So when are we getting SFV news? At 4 am EST from Japan? People are salivating over this conference and I was disappointed last year when it was basically nothing.

Aren't sales outpacing the previous gen for both current gen consoles?

The consoles are dying rhetoric has been desperately clinging from flawed theory to theory for a while.

That statement

1) ignores the Wii cause it's convenient
2) ignores how PS360 trended (hint: in addition to 7th generation lasting forever, both consoles were exceptionally backloaded, so the fact that it's ahead now doesn't mean it will remain ahead in the second half)

that doesn't mean it's "dying", but the console space definitely isn't some growth area

Kumubou

Played some more AH3 Love Max today. Was thinking about learning either Saki or Weiss, but went with the former first.

Up or forward charges don't mess me up, but there's quite a bit of executional stuff in this game D:
From someone who plays Saki... play Weiss. :p That's not quite fair (Saki is generally considered low tier in AH3:LM, but the tiers are fairly compressed so she's still plenty competetive), and the scary thing is that they're both on the easier side of characters to play in the game. You could be playing someone like Lieseolette or Dorothy, who really take some work just to get a handle of.

That statement

1) ignores the Wii cause it's convenient
2) ignores how PS360 trended (hint: in addition to 7th generation lasting forever, both consoles were exceptionally backloaded, so the fact that it's ahead now doesn't mean it will remain ahead in the second half)

that doesn't mean it's "dying", but the console space definitely isn't some growth area
I think the idea behind ignoring the Wii is that the console was bought mainly either by people who traditionally bought a console late in it's life (when the target audience was more casual -- hell, my mom owned a PS2 at one point) or people who never owned a console before. That market has pretty much up and left for a number of reasons. I also largely attribute the last generation being both extended and back-loaded to the giant recession/depression that happened around the start of that generation -- people were not exactly in a mood to spend money on luxury goods with the economy tanking.

The general theory (to my understanding, anyway) is that the core spaces (from Madden dudebros to waifu lovers and everyone in between) may not be a significant growth area, but it's not shrinking either.

From someone who plays Saki... play Weiss. :p That's not quite fair (Saki is generally considered low tier in AH3:LM, but the tiers are fairly compressed so she's still plenty competetive), and the scary thing is that they're both on the easier side of characters to play in the game. You could be playing someone like Lieseolette or Dorothy, who really take some work just to get a handle of.

I think the idea behind ignoring the Wii is that the console was bought mainly either by people who traditionally bought a console late in it's life (when the target audience was more casual -- hell, my mom owned a PS2 at one point) or people who never owned a console before. That market has pretty much up and left for a number of reasons. I also largely attribute the last generation being both extended and back-loaded to the giant recession/depression that happened around the start of that generation -- people were not exactly in a mood to spend money on luxury goods with the economy tanking.

The general theory (to my understanding, anyway) is that the core spaces (from Madden dudebros to waifu lovers and everyone in between) may not be a significant growth area, but it's not shrinking either.

but Japan is the one place where consoles actually are dying

Zissou

It's hard to include the wii when looking at growth in the console market since it sold to a bunch of people who weren't part of the 'traditional' console market. A lot of people came in, bought a wii despite not previously being a console gamer, bought a couple games, and then never bought another game/console again. I think a huge portion of the wii's install base switched to smartphone/tablet to game on if anything.

NEO0MJ

It's hard to include the wii when looking at growth in the console market since it sold to a bunch of people who weren't part of the 'traditional' console market. A lot of people came in, bought a wii despite not previously being a console gamer, bought a couple games, and then never bought another game/console again. I think a huge portion of the wii's install base switched to smartphone/tablet to game on if anything.

A whole bunch of people who would have bought consoles before now just play on their tablets/smartphones.

Zissou

A whole bunch of people who would have bought consoles before now just play on their tablets/smartphones.

Not disputing this- I just think the percentage off wii owners that didn't buy another console is way higher than ps3/360 owners who didn't/won't buy another console.

Rhapsody

Banned

She's so cool though. Also the buttons in this game feels weird. It's like Melty speed without reverse beat among other things, so I'm required to think fast before it's all down in muscle memory. EFC feels weird to me. Having it feel more like a link when you're using it on specials isn't something I'm quite used to.

Then there's all this homing nonsense that's hard to figure out the inputs when watching vids.

perhaps dieminion is right about du being random. that's probably why nuckledu places inconsistently in tournament (couldn't get top 8 at the last 3 tournaments but managed to place 7th at evo).

Idk I would think Guile has the fireball game and normals to deal with Gief. How is this matchup compared to a shoto? Daigo and Momochi made Snake look free. Is the dp the big difference?

Coda

Yeah the animations look so terrible but I'm assuming that it needs work and the trailer wasn't super well done to show off the game so far.

jerry1594

New logo looks cheap, like a Chinese f2p game logo. There really isn't anything to talk about and there probably won't be for a while lol

I'm glad SNK bothered to have a trailer made for TGS, seems like they were the smallest company with anything to show.

It looks crappy. But the main lingering questions are about netcode and difficulty.

Numb

Already miss KOF13 sprites. No way this game had a smooth dev cycle.
Atleast it ain't pachinko thank god even though it almost looked the part for a sec.

Infinite

Visuals for kof14 looking pretty bland right now. Character models reminiscent of a ps2 dynasty warriors game except with more polygons. This new characters looks like he was rejected from The Bouncer.

I remember when I used to shoot from the hip in situations like these, but after lots of PMs with Ravidrath I understand a little more about how rough game development is. I'll hold onto my witty remarks for another day. Hopefully KOF XIV looks fresh as hell a year from now.

Oh, and congrats on the new challenger, Karsticles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom