• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Community || Stream Monster Headquarters

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF! Nothing in that sentence is even an opinion, SFV is on a mission to drop anything that's harder than an SRK motion! >_<

Aren't there half circles in SFV?

I say this, because Killer Instinct doesn't have half circles. They only have fireballs, SRKs, back-forward(no charge) and down-up(no charge) motions.

While SFV is "dumbing down" their motions, KI has them beat in that department. That's not an insult, either. I think it's great that KI doesn't have complex motions.

Tripon

Sayad

how is it harder than doing a dp
Holding a button isn't, adopting to the options you lose depending what buttons you're holding is though, and for Juri, who depends a lot on fireballs, it does seem like something they'd try to change if she make it in.

WarRock

Since I don't have a Twitter account, Juicebox, about this. Something similar to Samurai Shodown V Special's sword gauge?

From mauuve's guide:
Below the health bar is the Kenki Gauge, or Sword Gauge, or whatever you want to call it. This is basically passive attack prorationing: it goes down when you do attacks, affects how much damage you do, and recharges on its own when idle or jumping but not when dashing or attacking. So if you mash on pokes all day, when you actually do connect it won’t hurt as much as a solid clean hit from nowhere. It drains the gauge linearly, not by a percentage rate, so if it’s not high to begin with combos will drop it extremely quickly.

Horseress

From the roster thread

http://secondapps.com/countdown/

t1442467800z1.png

WTF! Nothing in that sentence is even an opinion, SFV is on a mission to drop anything that's harder than an SRK motion! >_<
The person that manages ScrubQuotes isn't particularly bright.

Whomever this person is. Remember, we do get lurkers from time to time.
https://twitter.com/UndeadScion/status/644140401604063234
When I posted my placenta eating video, the comments section got flooded by people posting links to a "NeoFAG" website. It's an entire website dedicated to hating NeoGAF and what people say on it every day. I know the world has some pathetic losers, but stalking randoms online and complaining about them behind their back has set a new low for me. Really unbelievable.

Clawww

funny discovery last night: Logan Sama, the guy who helps run the WSO sessions in London is actually a fairly established name in the grime scene out there. JME is also a pretty competent player. cool stuff.

notworksafe

If you think talking online behind people's back is bad, just imagine what's it's like when people actually talk in real life.

Luckily I never leave my mom's basement so that's never an issue for me.

The person that manages ScrubQuotes isn't particularly bright.

When I posted my placenta eating video, the comments section got flooded by people posting links to a "NeoFAG" website. It's an entire website dedicated to hating NeoGAF and what people say on it every day. I know the world has some pathetic losers, but stalking randoms online and complaining about them behind their back has set a new low for me. Really unbelievable.

Ignore it man. Wife pretty much removed herself from social media and only deals with meat-space friends after some weirdness while working in VFX then game development. I am pretty much the same and we value our anonymity online.

GAF and other game websites are fun to read because of the really knowledgeable gaming base but some people feel like they know some inside baseball or tinfoil hat theories. Once you get to hating online peeps on another site, it gets too meta or mean for me.

Don't let it bother you, just chicken-guard and push-block that stuff.

Since I don't have a Twitter account, Juicebox, about this. Something similar to Samurai Shodown V Special's sword gauge?

From mauuve's guide:

That's one way to do it.

My idea is like a reverse guard meter. If your attacks get blocked, your meter goes down (less for light attacks, more for heavies). If it gets emptied... well I haven't fully brainstormed it out. There should be some sort of penalty for the aggressor.

If you think talking online behind people's back is bad, just imagine what's it's like when people actually talk in real life.

Luckily I never leave my mom's basement so that's never an issue for me.

Ignore it man. Wife pretty much removed herself from social media and only deals with meat-space friends after some weirdness while working in VFX then game development. I am pretty much the same and we value our anonymity online.

GAF and other game websites are fun to read because of the really knowledgeable gaming base but some people feel like they know some inside baseball or tinfoil hat theories. Once you get to hating online peeps on another site, it gets too meta or mean for me.

Don't let it bother you, just chicken-guard and push-block that stuff.
I wasn't bothered. I was just shocked people could spend so much time hating.

I guess these guys would have been KKK members back in the day.

notworksafe

Almost as shocking as an entire thread dedicated to fighting game gossip, or 100+ pages of theorycrafted patch notes for a game that everyone working at Capcom has given up on.

Wouldn't that kind of system reward turtling a little too much?

The idea is to prevent an aggressor from going for repeated frame traps, which can happen in some matchups/games.

I feel like it would be interesting to have a situation where if the aggressor doesn't -actually- mixup his options then he gets "tired" or something like that. I would like to actively reward a player who can properly defend multiple mixups in a row, rather than defense just being necessary for -not losing-.

El Sloth

Banned
UNIEL is the way
I agree.

I'm not saying just copying UNIEL's way of doing things wholesale, but that I'd personally prefer systems that reward the defender for good defense rather than explicitly punishing the aggressor for their offense.

Outside of vorpal and all that, I personally like how the game rewards you for successfully teching a throw by letting the defender recover faster afterwards.

shaowebb

The idea is to prevent an aggressor from going for repeated frame traps, which can happen in some matchups/games.

I feel like it would be interesting to have a situation where if the aggressor doesn't -actually- mixup his options then he gets "tired" or something like that. I would like to actively reward a player who can properly defend multiple mixups in a row, rather than defense just being necessary for -not losing-.

Cut their dash distances after the meter dumps maybe as the grand prize for emptying the aggressors meter entirely by blocking mixups successfully. If they wanna commit and go ham then its a commitment you should hold them too if rewarding defense is your gig. That or if you want a guard gauge you can exact a meter penalty on that gauge as the final reward for "tiring" them out through successful mixup blocking. It'd be an interesting turn for once to flip a guard gauge worry on an aggressor in that scenario...complete table turning.

Only thing is this may encourage not just in and out play, but more than likely heavy zoning. You'll need good mobility options or tools vs zoning to compensate for this tactical likelihood.

Only thing is this may encourage not just in and out play, but more than likely heavy zoning. You'll need good mobility options or tools vs zoning to compensate for this tactical likelihood.

Right, defensive play would be very good, so I would counteract that by making the game fast and with lots of movement, very KOF-like.

Tik-Tok

I'm aware but in order to play her optimally that needs to be a technique you have to have down which is a barrier for me. If it ain't for you cool.

you need to store fireballs to do some of her better combos and holding is safer

Gotta learn to crawl before you learn to walk.

Basically it's the same as saying that having a DP is a barrier to playing a character even though you could just do cr.HP. Except I would argue that being able to DP is actually a MORE important tool than being able to store fireballs.

It's not a barrier, it's an added option.

kirblar

Aren't there half circles in SFV?

I say this, because Killer Instinct doesn't have half circles. They only have fireballs, SRKs, back-forward(no charge) and down-up(no charge) motions.

While SFV is "dumbing down" their motions, KI has them beat in that department. That's not an insult, either. I think it's great that KI doesn't have complex motions.
Word from the demos is that a 540 command works for 2x HC motions, which is almost certainly easier for a lot of stick players.

The reason for HCB/F motions is about more than just complicating things, it's for giving the move extra startup time in neutral.

Thnx for that Famitsu post Oneida in the other thread, btw- will come in handy as a reference for a long time.

Marz

I agree. Juri was always a character I wanted to play but holding down the buttons to use her fireballs seemed like another pointless barrier

you need to store fireballs to do some of her better combos and holding is safer

You guys realize that having multiple stored fireballs with that fast of startup is really powerful right? It's balanced around the fact that you have to sacrifice other options in certain situations. It's not an execution barrier it's to balance that aspect of her game.

And negative edging is not hard you just need to practice a little bit until it becomes muscle memory.

You guys realize that having multiple stored fireballs with that fast of startup is really powerful right? It's balanced around the fact that you have to sacrifice other options in certain situations. It's not an execution barrier it's to balance that aspect of her game.

And negative edging is not hard you just need to practice a little bit until it becomes muscle memory.

i wasnt saying anything about execution barrier or w/e. Just mentioning that storing fireballs has a purpose

Infinite

I'm aware I just don't like it and it keeps me from becoming a Juri player ie barrier.

Gotta learn to crawl before you learn to walk.

Basically it's the same as saying that having a DP is a barrier to playing a character even though you could just do cr.HP. Except I would argue that being able to DP is actually a MORE important tool than being able to store fireballs.

It's not a barrier, it's an added option.
I'm not trying to have a debate on execution barrier I'm just giving a reason why I don't play Juri despite being interested in her.

That's one way to do it.

My idea is like a reverse guard meter. If your attacks get blocked, your meter goes down (less for light attacks, more for heavies). If it gets emptied... well I haven't fully brainstormed it out. There should be some sort of penalty for the aggressor.
Maybe you buff your opponent instead of being penalized yourself.

mbpm1

funny discovery last night: Logan Sama, the guy who helps run the WSO sessions in London is actually a fairly established name in the grime scene out there. JME is also a pretty competent player. cool stuff.

Yeah,Logan is a realer DJ than A-Rival

Tik-Tok

Thats really cool I used to be in to Grime but haven't listened for some time.
I wish people still were producing UK Garage / 2 Step like back in the early to mid 2000s

peter0611

Maybe you buff your opponent instead of being penalized yourself.

My comment is in reference to the complaints people over in the SFV char OT had regarding Bison's flame special:

You mentioned it had slow startup but is + on block. If so, I don't see what the big deal is; that's a common way to balance a move. You risk getting beat by a faster normal, but the reward for landing it is some frame advantage. People just need to challenge the Bison on the startup instead of sitting there and taking it.

Proper defense isn't just about blocking, it's also knowing when to push a button to challenge subpar offense\untrue block strings. Why block when I can hit you out of it, lol? That's one of the features I see out of a lot of top Japanese players in eneral: they know the "right" times to react and challenge offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom